Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Fork oil, what to go for?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

john24ssj
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:20 - 29 Jun 2015    Post subject: Fork oil, what to go for? Reply with quote

Hi guys,

So will be replacing the fork seals and changing the oil on my ER5. I got the seals from Kawasaki (originals) now all I need is oil.

And I am kind of stuck between Castrol and Motul. Any advice on which one is better or is there even a better brand?

Also what's the difference between mineral and fully synthetic fork oil?

Thank you Smile

Casper
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:31 - 29 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just get what the manual recommends and be done by it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Acerman This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

john24ssj
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 06:59 - 30 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

OEM recommends Showa SS8 but that would need to imported from either Japan or US.

OK so Motul should do, now should I stay with recommended 10W or increase? As my current issues is when I brake the from fork dips too much almost all of it goes in. BUT I guess it could be because it was water inside and is leaking.
Acerman This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

john24ssj
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 08:40 - 30 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, well got the seals, just bought the oil. Now I need the dust seals and should be good to go. Also plan to paint the forks as well.

delsol
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:50 - 30 Jun 2015    Post subject: Re: Fork oil, what to go for? Reply with quote

john24ssj wrote:
Hi guys,
Also what's the difference between mineral and fully synthetic fork oil?
Thank you Smile

Mineral oils have always been something of a compromise, i.e. formulating a fluid from existing available products.

Synthetic oils should in theory be purpose designed and remove the compromises and guesswork from the the mineral oil potions that the alchemist's will tell is you is 'the best'.

Even if you use fully synthetic it won't change the manufacturer's recommended oil renewal schedules.

There is a temptation to think that fully synth will perform better for longer (and it may well do), but you will never find out what condition the oil is in with out checking it, and if you went to that bother you would change the oil anyway.

So for me it is a question of 'how often do I check it' ?, not being a professional racing biker, mineral or fully synth becomes a moot point, I would not be able to tell the difference.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:57 - 30 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

john24ssj wrote:
As my current issues is when I brake the from fork dips too much almost all of it goes in. BUT I guess it could be because it was water inside and is leaking.

Oil viscosity will affect how FAST they compress/rebound but not how FAR.

You would need to fit stiffer/longer springs to sort that problem.

You could also try increasing preload by fitting a longer spacer/pile of washers on top of the existing springs.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 302 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1