Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What is the fastest 4stroke 125 on the market?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

ThePhantom125
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:04 - 12 Mar 2012    Post subject: What is the fastest 4stroke 125 on the market? Reply with quote

Four strokes are clearly more reliable and much better for distance riding so was just wondering what is the fastest? really dont wanna buy one and it be really slow and dangerous. Or am i better off buying a 2stroke keeping in mind it needs to last me a year without braking on me untill i can take my full test, dont have a budget and something with a decent resale value to would be good for when i make the step up. Thanks

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:14 - 12 Mar 2012    Post subject: Re: What is the fastest 4stroke 125 on the market? Reply with quote

ThePhantom125 wrote:
Four strokes are clearly more reliable and much better for distance riding so was just wondering what is the fastest? really dont wanna buy one and it be really slow and dangerous. Or am i better off buying a 2stroke keeping in mind it needs to last me a year without braking on me untill i can take my full test, dont have a budget and something with a decent resale value to would be good for when i make the step up. Thanks

you wont find a 125 that is fast. I have a cbr125 which is a bit of a sporty 125, but my brothers ybr will keep up with it just fine.
It wont be dangerous either. As long as it will go 60mph it will be fine.

Get a fast bike after passing your test.

J.M.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:16 - 12 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any 125 4-stroke should be able to get and hold a real 60mph. That's good enough until you pass your tests. Thumbs Up

I'm still riding my cbr125 6 months after passing my test, because I don't see the worth in paying an extra ~£200 on the insurance* to get a bigger bike. May as well wait for my NCB and insure it then.

You should be able to sell a 125 for pretty much what you bought it for.

Why do you have to wait a year to do your tests? If you're old enough to ride a 125 then you're old enough to take your tests. Get them passed before January 2013 or you will more than likely regret it. Thumbs Up

* I have a 125-only underwriter. I would have to cancel and get a new policy with someone else.

ThePhantom125
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:38 - 12 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean i have to wait a year till i can get a bigger bike im almost 20 now so i can get one next year anyway i was thinking about a ktm duke 125.

J.M.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:42 - 12 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

January 2013 the DAS age goes from 21 to 24.

herulach
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:43 - 12 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThePhantom125 wrote:
I mean i have to wait a year till i can get a bigger bike im almost 20 now so i can get one next year anyway i was thinking about a ktm duke 125.

Don't bother. Just get a ybr/cbf (preference on the former). 125s are impossible to look good on, put the rest of the money in the bank & splash it on a big bike.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:04 - 12 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.M. wrote:
January 2013 the DAS age goes from 21 to 24.

^^^^^^^^^^^
THIS MEANS YOU.

Sorry, you're screwed. Your quickest route to a "big bike" is to get any basic commuter style bike right now, sit your "standard" tests ASAP and wait out the 2 year 25kW restriction.

Or you can wait until next January, pay for a training course and pass (new) A2 to get a new 35kW license, then pay all over again in 2015 and sit another test/tests to get an unrestricted A license.

Sorry.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 23:25 - 12 Mar 2012    Post subject: Re: What is the fastest 4stroke 125 on the market? Reply with quote

ThePhantom125 wrote:

A 35 Year Old Honda CB125 'Twin'. is the answer to your question.

But you cant ride one legally on L-Plates. Riding anything over 14.5bhp on an L-Plate is illegal, and the CB125 'Twin' makes a wolloping 17bhp if in decent fettle!

UK Learner-Laws & EU A1 licence limits have successively made 125's ever less powerful, and effectively legislated the two-strokes out of existance.

The old CB125 Twin, was the most powerful 'production' Four-stroke built; designed to compete head to head with the two stroke rivals on performance by Four-Stroke fanatical Honda 'in the day'.

They succeeded, but while it matched the two-strokes for speed, it also matched them for reliability & ecconomy; and the more complicated engine vexed teen-age mechanics even more frequently than the 'simple' strokers. So 35 years on, an even LESS viable prospect!

Meanwhile..... If you can afford ANY bike, you can afford the £121.50 to get a FULL Licence.

That is ALL it costs.

£31 for the Theory/Hazard test
£15.50 for the Mod 1 'Off-Road' Practical
£75 for the Mod 2 'On-Road' Practical.

Compared to cost of buying a bike; insuring it, maintaining it and putting petrol in the tank, this is insignificant. Even a bit of training to help you through them need not break the bank; local school to me offer fullcourse of rider training for just £125; others in otehr areas if you hunt about, aren't far off.

DAS you wont be able to do for another four years, as mentioned.

Do a DAS course; its expensive. Courses are advertsised from about £500; but that often doesn't include the test fees.

Testing on a 125, gets you same full licence; a damn site cheaper; you just have to live with the 33bhp restriction until then.

Here and now; Fuck looks; fuck speed; suck ANYTHING but what it takes to get that licence WHILE you still can, on a tiddler.

25Kw Restriction will still lapse two years before you could test under DAS anyway.

You need something with an engine; preferably one that works. Two wheels; Preferably round, with tyres that hold air, would be 'nice' as well. To be test complient; needs an engine between 120cc and 125cc, and to be on the DSA 'Standard-Bike' list of approved machines meeting minumum speed requirement.

This disqualifies most generic Chinese brand bikes, and the Aprillia RS... though requirement for a working engine probably dismisses most of them anyway! That bike needs official 'proof of restriction' to take tests on.

So go grab ANTYHING that will do the job and go get a licence with it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:37 - 12 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just check this MCN review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72MYqcDF3m4
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 4 years, 11 days between these two posts...

mwr_allen
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:56 - 23 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought an Aprilia RS125 full power 2 stroke in 2011 which then did 92mph and it's just done over 40,000 miles and still does over 80mph and running very well so if you look after a 2 stroke well then they will run until the cows come home.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:15 - 23 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you choose a 125cc bike with no Criteria except which is the fastest?

It's like me saying what's the fastest 1000cc bike I can get? but what if the fastest top speed 1000 was the wrong type or style of bike for my requirements or interest in riding?

What do you you want, the fastest sports 125? the fastest trailie enduro or motocross bike? The fastest sit up.and beg Commuter? Scooter?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bigvern72
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:16 - 23 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

mwr_allen wrote:
I bought an Aprilia RS125 full power 2 stroke in 2011 which then did 92mph and it's just done over 40,000 miles and still does over 80mph and running very well so if you look after a 2 stroke well then they will run until the cows come home.

Holy necro batman

I wonder what OP rides now Wink

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:20 - 23 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

mwr_allen wrote:

Needs fixing cos it's missing 10mph. Wink

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:21 - 23 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would like to know which is the fastest 125 4 stroke.
The Moto3 250s are capable of 145mph.
A hundred mph 125 would be fun.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mwr_allen
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:22 - 23 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
mwr_allen wrote:

Needs fixing cos it's missing 10mph. Wink

just carbon build up and seized power valve but when it's cleaned out it will be faster.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:27 - 23 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
Would like to know which is the fastest 125 4 stroke.

There's no such thing. Razz

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:46 - 23 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Yamaha YZF125R manages a true 73 and a bit on the runway according to Superbikes testing gear.

Teff might be right about the CB125T, but you won't find a running one for sale, and as the 16bhp RD's and GT's never quite managed to hit 80mph in tests, I'd be surprised if the Honda did?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:16 - 24 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
The Yamaha YZF125R manages a true 73 and a bit on the runway according to Superbikes testing gear.

I managed 81mph on mine once or twice, albeit down hill.

On motorways it'd regularly do 75/76mph on a nice day but, less if there was a strongish wind against you or up hill of course.

You'd have to ride full throttle red line though and I guess that is what eventually killed the engine.

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:59 - 24 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fastest 124 is one flown in by air freight.

...and dropped out the cargo bay at 40000 feet or so...

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:57 - 24 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably the same for shitty XV535's tbh!

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:44 - 25 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sold pretty fast. And it still generates personal attacks pretty fast. Yawn.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:58 - 25 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Why would you choose a 125cc bike with no Criteria except which is the fastest?

It's like me saying what's the fastest 1000cc bike I can get? but what if the fastest top speed 1000 was the wrong type or style of bike for my requirements or interest in riding?

What do you you want, the fastest sports 125? the fastest trailie enduro or motocross bike? The fastest sit up.and beg Commuter? Scooter?

Because. Top Trumps. That's what everyone used before google anyway. Get the Top Trumps out, and it's gospel.

My CBF 125 red lines a shade over 65mph Evil or Very Mad

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:46 - 25 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

had an indicated 73 on the msx. Was a bloody strong tail wind though.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 346 days between these two posts...

mwr_allen
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:31 - 06 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigvern72 wrote:
mwr_allen wrote:

Holy necro batman

I wonder what OP rides now Wink

Just thought I'd update my post. My old RS125 has just done 47,500 miles and had a new piston and fresh power valve blade put in and is now screaming up to 98mph!!!. The funny thing is that I read a lot about people saying that the bottom end bearings need changing between 15,000 and 25,000 miles depending on usage but when I had the piston changed at 46,800 miles I asked the mechanic to check for play on the con rod and he said there was absolutely no play whatsoever.
I think this bike is magic!!!

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:31 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mwr_allen wrote:
... 98mph!!!!!

Indicated by your speedo?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 41 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2