Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Visor water repellent.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Do you use visor treatments and how much would you pay?
Yes- I would pay £15-20
30%
 30%  [ 31 ]
Yes- But I wouldn't pay £15-20
48%
 48%  [ 49 ]
No I wouldn't use them
21%
 21%  [ 22 ]
Total Votes : 102

pits
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:03 - 13 Mar 2012    Post subject: Visor water repellent. Reply with quote

I need some help from BCF, I have spoken to mods about this and have been giving the ok to post this.

Please read before voting
I am working on some motorbike products at the moment, and I am just trying to gauge some interest in the general premise of the product.

So the product is a visor water repellent, now I have spoken to a few people about this in private and so far I have had much interest about the product(s) (there are a lot of them) anyway.

Benefits of this product and why it is different from others

It lasts around 1-2 years (depends how many miles you do really,
it is all relative)

It comes as a complete kit

The kit will do up to 6 visors, that is between 6-12 years protection for one visor if you think about it.

It is easy to apply

It is much easier to clean dirt and flys have near nothing to adhere
to, they will sit on the surface of the product.

Has UV protection

Gives much clearer vision

It wont come off with normal cleaning and normal visor cleaner sprays, a lot of the rain repellent products out there last 1-3 months, but mostly a lot less because visor cleaner will remove the product, meaning you will have to reapply the product, this is an apply once and use as normal product.

I have attached a poll to this, but would like it if people read the post and thought about it properly before voting to give a fair chance.

At the moment I am not selling the products, but when I come around to it, I will be speaking with Korn and hopefully get a banner or something up to support the site, and try to offer a BCF discount, but at the moment though this is just putting the feelers out there.

Questions, feel free to ask any questions you like, but some I may not be at liberty to answer at this current moment in time, I hope you will understand.

All I ask at the moment is a fair choice on the poll, and maybe register an interest in the product.

Thank you
Thumbs Up
00:32:08 Blau Zedong: yes, i am a massive CB400 fan and collector
00:33:00 Blau Zedong: the CB400 is my favourite road bike

lihp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:06 - 13 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd probably look at spending around £10, considering that I ride a lot of miles, and a visor only lasts me 1 year before it is scratched and useless in the rain at night.

pits
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:16 - 13 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

This should reduce scratching, as the dirt whilst it will stick on the visor, it wont stick to the actual plastic of the visor, so there is a barrier between the dirt and the plastic on the visor.
But if you look at it like this, even if you replace your visor every year, you still get 6 years protection, and it means you don't have to re apply another rain repellent every week, 2 weeks, month, 2 months etc
Thumbs Up

Cadbury
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 17:21 - 13 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as it really did work as described, then yes, I would pay around £15 for something like that.
Most of my commute is on the M8 and M74, and rain/ spray can be a real issue at times.
Any more info on what form this product takes? Is it a spray, some form of gel/plastic adhesive? Must be pretty strong stuff to withstand what you are describing.
Either way, i'll be watching this with interest Smile

Incidentally, have you heard of kickstarter? they are a platform to help 'crowd fund' a product. Basically people pledge money to help you get the product made, tooling costs etc, and they (usually) get a reward for doing so i.e. the product. I pledged towards an iphone fisheye lens last year, quite enjoyable keeping up to date with how the product process develops, and the end product was pretty good Smile

pits
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:29 - 13 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

CadillacMoon wrote:
As long as it really did work as described, then yes, I would pay around £15 for something like that.
Most of my commute is on the M8 and M74, and rain/ spray can be a real issue at times.
Any more info on what form this product takes? Is it a spray, some form of gel/plastic adhesive? Must be pretty strong stuff to withstand what you are describing.
Either way, i'll be watching this with interest Smile

Incidentally, have you heard of kickstarter? they are a platform to help 'crowd fund' a product. Basically people pledge money to help you get the product made, tooling costs etc, and they (usually) get a reward for doing so i.e. the product. I pledged towards an iphone fisheye lens last year, quite enjoyable keeping up to date with how the product process develops, and the end product was pretty good Smile

The product is applied by hand, it takes minutes to do basically,
Clean visor as normal
Clean with cleaner provided and cloths provided
Apply product with cloths provided
Allow to dry
Use
I can't go into too much detail at the moment untill official launch which is soon, but this is an easy to use product.

I have not heard of Kickstarter, I will research it now, thank you very much for that Thumbs Up

swiftb
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:37 - 13 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

would this not be applicable to further applications for example a whole bike? plastics/screen/headlight to make cleaning less frequent?

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:40 - 13 Mar 2012    Post subject: Re: Visor water repellent. Reply with quote

Nothing puts me off of a product more than exaggerative claims, I do not believe that any spray/wipe will last 2 years on a visor.

I am guessing it is some hydrophobic nanocompound like the gimmicky Ross Nanotechnology one that was being promoted for use on shoes, clothes etc not long ago being applied to the visor?

EDIT: this stuff https://www.neverwet.com/

I'd pass unless the claims were independently validated.

pits
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:45 - 13 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

swiftb38 wrote:
would this not be applicable to further applications for example a whole bike? plastics/screen/headlight to make cleaning less frequent?

Yes I do have products for the whole bike, at the moment I am sticking with the visor to gauge the interest before this goes live and is launched, the problem I have is trying to get interest in the products but being hush hush about it at the same time, if you get my drift.

If you go into the thread about cleaning bikes (Blue_SV650 is poster IIRC) my bike is on there and you can see the level of gloss you get from the product, and all the dirt on the bike merely presurre washed off.

Thumbs Up

swiftb
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:48 - 13 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

this sounds similar to a product (spray on application) that was going to make a friend of mine a millionaire overnight. Can be applied to buildings/windows/buses etc etc. 2yrs later hasnt made a penny.

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 17:48 - 13 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I get a free sample then I'll buy some once it needs doing again. Thumbs Up

pits
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:03 - 13 Mar 2012    Post subject: Re: Visor water repellent. Reply with quote

DonnyBrago wrote:
Nothing puts me off of a product more than exaggerative claims, I do not believe that any spray/wipe will last 2 years on a visor.

I am guessing it is some hydrophobic nanocompound like the gimmicky Ross Nanotechnology one that was being promoted for use on shoes, clothes etc not long ago being applied to the visor?

EDIT: this stuff https://www.neverwet.com/

I'd pass unless the claims were independently validated.

Not a problem I am sure I have some tests done indipendantly on file (not for the motorbike specific stuff) but the other products which show the life of the product.

And it isn't much like that stuff, as it isn't Silicon based and lasts longer, the silicon and teflon(bare in mind that is a brand name for a rather nasty chemical) based products are going to be outlawed soon enough

Either way all good info and points Thumbs Up

Swift, there are a lot of products out there that claim this, most of them do not work, the big problem at the moment is the nano buzz word, people are adding nano to products that aren't nano, there is a lot of interest in this, perticular product as it does actually work.

I have had a product applied to the windscreens on my cars for around 6 months now, niether are showing signs of failure over 10k miles.

The idea of this thread is to get some interest, get some idea of peoples concerns, address them etc

All good stuff Thumbs Up

Boydy
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:30 - 13 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like a great product. I would definately buy some for that price.

Kingstondavo
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:32 - 13 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some rain-repellant stuff that I have used once, admittedly it does repel rain very effectively, however it attracts dirt, dust and other road crap like a magnet, so while rain isn't obscuring my vision, everything else is...

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:41 - 13 Mar 2012    Post subject: Re: Visor water repellent. Reply with quote

pits wrote:
I am working on some motorbike products at the moment, and I am just trying to gauge some interest in the general premise of the product.

I would suggest you give some, free, to a few mile munchers that frequent this forum as testers.
And get them to test out the claims.

As many others, we all have attended the shows or seen the adds on the latest all singing, dancing products.

Sadly in real life they very rearly live upto their claims. Often this will be due to end user error is applying stuff like this, but that is what will kill a product such as this.

I use Sal Clear at the moment and have to apply pretty much after every wet ride.
But the £4.35 bottle is over 2 years old and still half full.

I wish you well, but would consider understating the product, rather than going with what the manufacture says. As you have to wonder how, if its such a new product, that they can say it lasts 1 to 2 years.

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:54 - 13 Mar 2012    Post subject: Re: Visor water repellent. Reply with quote

pits wrote:
The idea of this thread is to get some interest, get some idea of peoples concerns, address them etc

All good stuff Thumbs Up

Tell ya what pits, I'll bring a visor up to you, you secretly apply the magic lotion so I can't give away any trade secrets and I'll give you a 2 year road test Wink .

pits
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:17 - 13 Mar 2012    Post subject: Re: Visor water repellent. Reply with quote

Kingstondavo wrote:
I have some rain-repellant stuff that I have used once, admittedly it does repel rain very effectively, however it attracts dirt, dust and other road crap like a magnet, so while rain isn't obscuring my vision, everything else is...

Yes, that will be a silicone based product, whilst the water doesn't stick the silicone attracts the dirt.

iooi wrote:
pits wrote:

I would suggest you give some, free, to a few mile munchers that frequent this forum as testers.
And get them to test out the claims.

As many others, we all have attended the shows or seen the adds on the latest all singing, dancing products.

Sadly in real life they very rearly live upto their claims. Often this will be due to end user error is applying stuff like this, but that is what will kill a product such as this.

I use Sal Clear at the moment and have to apply pretty much after every wet ride.
But the £4.35 bottle is over 2 years old and still half full.

I wish you well, but would consider understating the product, rather than going with what the manufacture says. As you have to wonder how, if its such a new product, that they can say it lasts 1 to 2 years.

Plan is to give out a few free samples, but the biggest problem for me is cost, it is a catch 22, I need to get some testers out there but need to find away that I can absorb the cost of the products, but I do know a few forum members on here that do a lot of miles in all weather so will hopefully try and get something out for them

The product isn't that new and has been developed over the past decade or so, and I have been working with similar products for a fair while as well, but the products have been tested and tried for a few years now.
Thumbs Up

DonnyBrago wrote:

Tell ya what pits, I'll bring a visor up to you, you secretly apply the magic lotion so I can't give away any trade secrets and I'll give you a 2 year road test Wink .

2 years is the maximum really, but I can try and sort something out for you, if you want I will do you a half and half, half my stuff half RainX or equivalent Laughing Thumbs Up

EDIT: iooi
I forget to add, you are mostly right, most products will not work if you get the application wrong, but I will be perfectly honest, I have tested doing it properly on glass, and just applying it straight to glass, and whilst one is better than the other (miles better) the poorly applied one is still standing up, but there are so many variables to consider with using products that someone somewhere along the line will get it wrong, but application is basic and simple
Clean visor normally
Dry
Clean visor with cleaner and cloth supplied
Dry
Apply product
Leave to dry naturally

Thumbs Up

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:22 - 13 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morrisons Value Furniture Polish. Something like 40p, haven't got through a whole can in 3 years.

The can's starting to rust though, so if someone like Marmalade or Sickpup gave this wonder product the thumbs up, I might spring for it on my next visor or lid.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:39 - 13 Mar 2012    Post subject: Re: Visor water repellent. Reply with quote

pits wrote:
Plan is to give out a few free samples, but the biggest problem for me is cost, it is a catch 22, I need to get some testers out there but need to find away that I can absorb the cost of the products, but I do know a few forum members on here that do a lot of miles in all weather so will hopefully try and get something out for them

Supply enough for a single application to a visor. If it is as good as you say.
Then after a couple of months, their reviews should help you start to sell the product.

You are going to have to invest in the product. This is a case of investing to reep a greater return.

I hope that you are not going to be beeten to the marketplace by anyone else.
As if this is such a tried and tested product, of such long standing. Why have we not heard of it before.

Thanks for the replies Thumbs Up

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:40 - 13 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have persevered with rain repellents. Rain-X or woteva.
It lasts at max three hundred miles of driech UK highway use.
It causes a bit of refraction under certain lighting conditions.
I have the bottle in the cupboard for when I can be ARSED applying it again.
My visors cost about £8 and last about a season with me having to put up with that fog you get about three hours after you clean the bastard (to Silicon chip factory standards).

If I see credible proof that it works I would give it a try.
If marketed by Oxford then I would pass.

pits
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:00 - 13 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walloper wrote:
I have persevered with rain repellents. Rain-X or woteva.
It lasts at max three hundred miles of driech UK highway use.
It causes a bit of refraction under certain lighting conditions.
I have the bottle in the cupboard for when I can be ARSED applying it again.
My visors cost about £8 and last about a season with me having to put up with that fog you get about three hours after you clean the bastard (to Silicon chip factory standards).

If I see credible proof that it works I would give it a try.
If marketed by Oxford then I would pass.

It wouldn't be marketed by anyone else but myself at the moment

iooi wrote:

Supply enough for a single application to a visor. If it is as good as you say.
Then after a couple of months, their reviews should help you start to sell the product.

You are going to have to invest in the product. This is a case of investing to reep a greater return.

I hope that you are not going to be beaten to the marketplace by anyone else.
As if this is such a tried and tested product, of such long standing. Why have we not heard of it before.

Thanks for the replies Thumbs Up

The problem with a single visor use is the quantity, this stuff goes along way, put it this way, I have done 5 windscreens so far and still haven't emptied a small bottle (50ml) the up to 6 applications is the smallest size it comes in.

The reason for not hearing about it, is that it has been in testing for a few years, and now the big roll out if that is the right way to put it, is happening.

It has been about biding time really, I am having to put a lot of work into the product to get into the UK market place and I am the only one doing it, the sheer magnitude of the task is unreal, trying to trial and test, trying to get the word out, and at the same time keeping it hush hush is a very hard juggling act.

Thumbs Up

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:21 - 13 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

pits wrote:
The problem with a single visor use is the quantity, this stuff goes along way, put it this way, I have done 5 windscreens so far and still haven't emptied a small bottle (50ml) the up to 6 applications is the smallest size it comes in.

Then you need to source some smaller bottles. These maybe.

Perhaps you could sell a sampler pack that has enough for one or two visor's And then have a larger pack for the uber rich.

Why flog a large bottle that will do so much. When you could simply sell a smaller amount and a far better cost. Thumbs Up

If the product is good and works from a small sample, then people will be more prepared to splash out on bigger packs in the future.

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:30 - 13 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
pits wrote:

Then you need to source some smaller bottles. These maybe.

Perhaps you could sell a sampler pack that has enough for one or two visor's And then have a larger pack for the uber rich.

Why flog a large bottle that will do so much. When you could simply sell a smaller amount and a far better cost. Thumbs Up

If the product is good and works from a small sample, then people will be more prepared to splash out on bigger packs in the future.

Sample on a little 'wipe' pack like the sterile wipes from 1st aid kits.

Clanger
Stirrer

PostPosted: 22:38 - 13 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ticked the second choice.
As it is I don't currently use any visor stuff...but if the product was cheap, I might do... HTH. Thumbs Up

pits
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:43 - 13 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walloper wrote:

Sample on a little 'wipe' pack like the sterile wipes from 1st aid kits.[/quote]
Little wipe on packs wouldn't work sadly, and really, this is a small amount, it just goes a really long way, I am talking put your finger over end of the bottle with the application cloths provided and that will do a windscreen. For me to put it into smaller packages I would have to buy it in, then decant it into smaller packs I have to look at the costs involved for me if that makes sense, hope that doesn't come across as me sounded like a bit of a knob Smile

snikks
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:49 - 13 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming it performed as you described it, I would pay 15-20 for it. However as others have said, I would need some evidence from somebody independent who does a lot of riding in all conditions.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 18 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4