Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Visor water repellent.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Do you use visor treatments and how much would you pay?
Yes- I would pay £15-20
30%
 30%  [ 31 ]
Yes- But I wouldn't pay £15-20
48%
 48%  [ 49 ]
No I wouldn't use them
21%
 21%  [ 22 ]
Total Votes : 102

whitedevil
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:41 - 13 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this stuff is as good as you say then sending out a £100 worth of product is fuck all in the grand scheme of things.
Its real world reviews and word of mouth that will make you a millionaire.
Im sure im not alone in thinking this it BS. Thumbs Up
You need to prove it isn't.
Good luck with that. Laughing

keggyhander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:06 - 14 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there's a product out there that will withstand a sopping wet leather glove being dragged across it when the visor is covered in wagon shite.

Cadbury
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 00:26 - 14 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell you what Pits, if covering the cost is a concern for test samples I would be happy to pay you £10-15 right now for a sample of your product and provide you with detailed feedback on it. I'm in Scotland, rains very regularly, and I do around 40 miles a day most weekdays.

I am a firm believer in helping out the little guys, so if it helps you get things rolling along faster then so be it Smile until i have reason to believe otherwise, I'll take you at your word as to how good it is! if you are interested, just let me know and we can sort something out.

Adam

Blackwolf
Burgerfist

PostPosted: 00:44 - 14 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

CadillacMoon wrote:
Tell you what Pits, if covering the cost is a concern for test samples I would be happy to pay you £10-15 right now for a sample of your product and provide you with detailed feedback on it. I'm in Scotland, rains very regularly, and I do around 40 miles a day most weekdays.

I am a firm believer in helping out the little guys, so if it helps you get things rolling along faster then so be it Smile until i have reason to believe otherwise, I'll take you at your word as to how good it is! if you are interested, just let me know and we can sort something out.

Adam

Second that! Would do it to my car windscreen, as my bikes off the road.. Laughing

TheDonUK
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:54 - 14 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a 50ml bottle goes so far why not sell it in 10/15ml doses, for say a fiver. If it is as good as you say it would catch like wildfire.

Like keggy said, i cant see any product remaining there after a dirty wet glove wipes over the visor.

Goodluck to you though. Thumbs Up

pits
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:23 - 14 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

CadillacMoon wrote:

Adam

I am currently putting an order together to bring a shipment in within the next few weeks, so will let you know Thumbs Up

Blackwolf wrote:

Second that! Would do it to my car windscreen, as my bikes off the road.. Laughing

Car windscreen is a different product, none of these products are the same, so a windscreen one wont work on a visor, a paint one wouldn't work on a windscreen etc, but on the order I do have some windscreen kits coming in, but they are more expensive due to the make up of the product and you get 4 products as opposed to two, and all the applicator cloths and what not, but will let you know.

TheDonUK wrote:
If a 50ml bottle goes so far why not sell it in 10/15ml doses, for say a fiver. If it is as good as you say it would catch like wildfire.

Like keggy said, i cant see any product remaining there after a dirty wet glove wipes over the visor.

Goodluck to you though. Thumbs Up

a 50 ml bottle is way too much for a windscreen, it was a sample kit I was given.

The visor kit comes in either 6ml or 10ml kits, now that doesn't seem a lot but trust me it is, I will perhaps do a video to show how far the product actually goes, a few times I have been left scratching my head wondering where to use the left over product on the applicator.

Also remember you wouldn't be getting just 6ml of product, you are getting the cleaner, the applicator cloths as well, to put it in perspective maybe, Rain X is £7-10 and lasts a week-month max really, and it isn't really designed for visors, and at least it comes in a pretty box Razz

Now I appreciate it really does seem quite expensive when you look at it, but I am trying to keep the costs as low as possible, as a biker I appreciate how massively overpriced and marked up a lot of the stuff they try to sell to us is, so I am trying to work out the best price for this I just need to register the interest and get some testers in place.

The problem is you could never sell it at £5, it cost a bit more for me to buy the box kit in, by the time I have placed the order I have lost money, I need to look at it from a business point of view, hopefully I can wangle a few samples out here there and everywhere.

I will be honest, I waffled a bit there, I am super tired, so if none of it makes any sense please ask and I will reply in the morning.

But so far you guys have been invaluable bringing up some good points and questions, really nice to see both good and bad feedback on the idea, and any concerns, I hope I have addressed them properly, I will try and get some videos up to show the application tomorrow, in between working and going to rescue my one car that decided to overheat on the way out earlier.

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
00:32:08 Blau Zedong: yes, i am a massive CB400 fan and collector
00:33:00 Blau Zedong: the CB400 is my favourite road bike

plugger147
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:39 - 14 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using an old bottle of rain-x I got from asda about 7 years ago for 2 quid on my visor, wouldn't pay any more or expect any better results. I can't fault the value for money I've had from it although I will admit I have seen the same product on sale for £9, which I'd happily pay knowing the results.

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:04 - 14 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

CadillacMoon wrote:
I'm in Scotland, rains very regularly.

Adam

I'm from Scotland too but I think it rains even more than that....

Laughing

lozzypop1
Certified MILF!

PostPosted: 13:08 - 14 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walloper wrote:
CadillacMoon wrote:
I'm in Scotland, rains very regularly.

Adam

I'm from Scotland too but I think it rains even more than that....

Laughing

I win!! Am in Wales!! Mr. Green

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 13:25 - 14 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried many of these miracle products. most of them are left in a draw somewhere untoutched after the first few applications. IF it does what you say then yeah it is worth it but I'm sceptical. I'll gladly test it and let you know, I ride 1000 miles a month in all weathers. I would only pay for it off the back of a very strong long term review.

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:40 - 14 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

lozzypop1 wrote:
I win!! Am in Wales!! Mr. Green

Ocht, warm rain diznae count lassie..

Laughing

pits
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:46 - 26 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right time to resurrect this thread.
Finally getting somewhere with this now and have a few of the kits in stock now, that said I am waiting for a camera to turn up to do some video tests and pictures for you guys.

I have also finally had chance to
A. Go out on my bike
B. Go out when it was raining
C. See the coating work in the rain

Heavy rain just hits and comes straight off.
Light rain, you're deal with gravity and friction, that said, spray from cars essentially at 30mph requires a look right/left and is cleared instantly.

Someone mentioned the glove across the visor wipe, this worked surprisingly well, we all know the score you wipe your visor in the rain and you're instantly blind, with the product on, I found that it just wiped clean, but I really would like to get some more testing done on that.

Hopefully by the end of the day I will have some static tests done and posted up.

I need to speak to G and Korn about actually selling but for the moment I am sticking to the no spam rule, maybe I can sort something out with them, but will see how it goes.

So far so good, and hopefully I should have some actual bike paint kits ready to go

I will try and get some videos up of the static tests when my camera turns up Thumbs Up

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 13:48 - 26 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

pits wrote:
Right time to resurrect this thread.
Finally getting somewhere with this now and have a few of the kits in stock now, that said I am waiting for a camera to turn up to do some video tests and pictures for you guys.

I have also finally had chance to
A. Go out on my bike
B. Go out when it was raining
C. See the coating work in the rain

Heavy rain just hits and comes straight off.
Light rain, you're deal with gravity and friction, that said, spray from cars essentially at 30mph requires a look right/left and is cleared instantly.

Someone mentioned the glove across the visor wipe, this worked surprisingly well, we all know the score you wipe your visor in the rain and you're instantly blind, with the product on, I found that it just wiped clean, but I really would like to get some more testing done on that.

Hopefully by the end of the day I will have some static tests done and posted up.

I need to speak to G and Korn about actually selling but for the moment I am sticking to the no spam rule, maybe I can sort something out with them, but will see how it goes.

So far so good, and hopefully I should have some actual bike paint kits ready to go

I will try and get some videos up of the static tests when my camera turns up Thumbs Up

I'd be more interested in an independent source telling me that the original coating still works well months down the line.

Alpha-9
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:59 - 26 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds pretty cool, very very unlikely to work months down the line I imagine, but i'm not against spraying a bit on my visor before I go out in the rain now and again, hardly inconvenient and it means we'll use more product Wink

pits
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:59 - 26 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working on that as well, the idea for the static tests is just a general idea for you guys to have a look at, otherwise it is a completely biased test in perfect conditions and one of those things that when the person selling it is going "omglolz look how awesome it is"

But I will try and sort something out for a few people Thumbs Up

pits
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:06 - 26 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpha-9 wrote:
Sounds pretty cool, very very unlikely to work months down the line I imagine, but i'm not against spraying a bit on my visor before I go out in the rain now and again, hardly inconvenient and it means we'll use more product Wink

Well the kit comes with enough to do 3-4 visors, and you can up to a year out of it if you're doing around 6k miles, but it really does depend on how much you ride and in what conditions you ride, it is all relative, for example the car product has been tested to around 5 years and 50-80km but if you do 50-80km in a year you will get a year or so out of it.

It has been on my visor for a few months now, and coming up to a year on one windscreen.

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:12 - 26 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

pits wrote:
50-80km

Ah the SI unit of "kilomiles" Sick ...

Not to be confused with centimiles, millimiles, centiinches, nanoyards or picoparsecs.

pits
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:18 - 26 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonnyBrago wrote:
pits wrote:
50-80km

Ah the SI unit of "kilomiles" Sick ...

Not to be confused with centimiles, millimiles, centiinches, nanoyards or picoparsecs.

Lol fine fifty to eighty thousand kilometers Thumbs Up

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:21 - 26 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately rain contains more than just water, and its those contaminents that hold on to all the crap. Which is why these repellants don't work and never will.

pits
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:34 - 26 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:
Unfortunately rain contains more than just water, and its those contaminents that hold on to all the crap. Which is why these repellants don't work and never will.

Most of the time yes, what you get with other repellents is when they are applied they leave little holes in which the contaminants get stuck and hooked into, leaving the crap left behind and you are 100% right there.

Difference with this stuff is that it actually fills all of those pores, cracks and crevices up so when the water hits it just comes straight off, it has nothing for it to stick to, that said if you leave manky water on there to dry then it will leave marks, but a quick wipe over with water and a cloth should fix this Thumbs Up

A valid point nonetheless

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:37 - 26 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about when a bug smushes on the visor and you have to wipe it off immediately and the chitin scratches through the repellent? A few of those and you'll be back to having a compromised and dirty visor, needing to be washed under the tap on a weekly basis like any regular un-treated visor.

Cadbury
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 14:58 - 26 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear things are moving along with this Pits.

My offer still stands by the way. More than happy to be a guinea pig and test some of this stuff out. Thumbs Up

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:42 - 26 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah, just in time for summer, nice timing, chump. Middle FingerRazzMiddle Finger

<Looks out of window>

FFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUuuuuuuuuuuuu

Errrr... how much did you say again? Embarassed

I'd suggest a recommendation from a 3rd party like Marmalade, G, Kickstart or similar would carry a lot of weight. If you can convince sickpup or Hetzer, you've got my money. Wink

Dazbo666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:50 - 26 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would be more than happy to test this in what we laughingly call a Welsh "summer"
I'll be keeping an interested eye on the outcome.

(...although for me, I can get a brand new replacement visor for my lid for ~£20, so the price would have to be competitive)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Alpha-9
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:09 - 26 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, how about you give us some samples and stop being all talk Razz
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 277 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4