KTM Duke 125 vs. CBR 125

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

J.M.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:57 - 20 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

guile wrote:
I appreciate the knowledgable replies but let me ask - why is there so much bike snobbery against 125s? I am commuting on 30mph roads - why would I need to upgrade to a 500 which is more fuel hungry and costs more to insure?

I just had my insurance reminder through for my CBR125 - they want >£450

I'm not re-insuring the CBR. Instead I'm insuring my GS500F, for <£400.

CoolBreeze wrote:
A 3 day CBT? It is supposed to only take a day. Was it set to be 3 days from the start or did you not get it and have to come back to finish.. twice?

You can opt for a longer CBT at some places, which is more comprehensive. You could get it done in a day, but instead you choose to go for a longer one. Not a bad idea, in my opinion.

beaslethorpe wrote:
All this price warring aside, does anyone care to give a review of a CBR125R? As I'm just about to get one (used - and for a grand) as my first bike to get used to riding on before going for test at some point.

Not bothered that I could get a cheaper CB125 or what have you - looks are part of what I'm after, and I like the look of the CBR125 so it passes that test straight away. Obviously they're good on fuel economy and decent with most other stats. But what are they like to ride - with a 3-day CBT gained rider perspective in mind ideally...?

Ta
RB

I have the CBR 125 R4 (2004, obviously), I love it.

The positives, for me, is that the bike is so easy to flick around. You can easily flick the bike left to right like you would a bicycle, you get an easy (indicated) 60mph out of it and it does look rather nice. It's also absolutely tiny, which makes filtering as easy as it could possibly get.

The negatives, for me, is also the size of it. It's tiny! I'm 6ft2 and have often had my friends commenting how the bike looks nice (and looks like a proper bike), until I stand next to it and it looks like a mini-moto. Laughing You get next to no wind protection from the fairings/screen, either. The lack of power is also a negative - I don't enjoy taking it on the motorway.

beaslethorpe
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 21:08 - 20 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Err no, as in I gained my CBT three days ago. I.e. I'm a fully fledged, no bones about it newbie (who incidently has only ever riden a Kymco Pulsar 125)

Its not what other people think looks cool I'm fussed about, it's what I think looks cool- or more to the point, doesn't. And as I said earlier, I personally think getting on a bus looks cooler than something with the styling of a CB125. Getting on a bus with L plates strapped to my motorcycle clothing for that matter. They're not for me, anymore than getting on a bus is, which really is the end of that side of things.

beaslethorpe
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 21:28 - 20 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

The above is the sort ofreview I was after and I much appreciate it. I'm gonna take a look at the bike, kick the tires a bit, you know. See how the size looks in the flesh as unfortunately the thousand words written by pictures isn't enough. May even see if he'll let me have a quick raz up the road if his insurance covers it.
i really like the look of it and by the sounds of things its a fairly well looked after machine, so hopefully it'll be love at first tug (well...isn't it always?)

1cyl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:55 - 20 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP

If You do your test = Duke 690
If you don't = Duke 125
Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:52 - 20 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

beaslethorpe wrote:

To be perfectly honest, I've no intention of lying - that's exactly what I'm after. I'm under no illusions that I'll not want something bigger and better in a few months - I'm DEFINITELY the kind of person who will. Which is why I'm not willing to pay more than a grand for a bike. But I do insist I have something that looks sporty. Had considered naked bikes like a CG125 but I can hardly stand to look at pictures, so I just know in my heart I'd never love it.

You also answered some of my important factors - easy to maintain and found no faults (perfectly, it's a 2005 CBR 125 I'm looking at. Obviously they're not the exact same bike and the one I get could have unlimited faults and be hideous to maintain, but its good to hear that overall, they at least have the potential to be great)

Then ignore whatever everyone is saying about buying a CG and get a CBR. I have had loads of fun on mine.
The only downside about it is that to do some things you have to remove the fairings. Also the luggage space is tiny (i could only fit a sausage roll and a coke in there Very Happy ) and a rack to mount a top box on will cost you £60.
The bike is pretty good on fuel as well.
If your worried about dropping it at all then dont be. I dropped mine twice, both times with no damage done. The pillion pegs seem to have a habit of coming down and holding the bike up Laughing

You should try and do your test however. Theres something about seing your 125 sat next to a 600cc bike that makes you want to get something bigger Laughing
oh and btw dont believe what anyone says about them doing 85mph. I managed to get 73 out of mine.

Send me a PM if you need to know anything Thumbs Up

beaslethorpe
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:56 - 20 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayrton wrote:
beaslethorpe wrote:

To be perfectly honest, I've no intention of lying - that's exactly what I'm after. I'm under no illusions that I'll not want something bigger and better in a few months - I'm DEFINITELY the kind of person who will. Which is why I'm not willing to pay more than a grand for a bike. But I do insist I have something that looks sporty. Had considered naked bikes like a CG125 but I can hardly stand to look at pictures, so I just know in my heart I'd never love it.

You also answered some of my important factors - easy to maintain and found no faults (perfectly, it's a 2005 CBR 125 I'm looking at. Obviously they're not the exact same bike and the one I get could have unlimited faults and be hideous to maintain, but its good to hear that overall, they at least have the potential to be great)

Then ignore whatever everyone is saying about buying a CG and get a CBR. I have had loads of fun on mine.
The only downside about it is that to do some things you have to remove the fairings. Also the luggage space is tiny (i could only fit a sausage roll and a coke in there Very Happy ) and a rack to mount a top box on will cost you £60.
The bike is pretty good on fuel as well.
If your worried about dropping it at all then dont be. I dropped mine twice, both times with no damage done. The pillion pegs seem to have a habit of coming down and holding the bike up Laughing

You should try and do your test however. Theres something about seing your 125 sat next to a 600cc bike that makes you want to get something bigger Laughing
oh and btw dont believe what anyone says about them doing 85mph. I managed to get 73 out of mine.

Send me a PM if you need to know anything Thumbs Up

Very kind, much appreciated!

The test will come in due time. For now I just need to get my own transport to get home from work at 2-3am without taking a resource away from jobs.

superleeds76
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 05:59 - 21 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

each to their own on this
i ride a cbr 125 and love it use it daily starts first time all weathers
mine was a used bike with 9k on the clock not too bad for a bike thats 5 years old
but hey thats just my opinion
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 10:45 - 21 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Older CBR125s are smaller than the newer one, I've had many of them, they were fine. Cost a fortune when you drop it though.

The KTM sounds like a bag of poo, even with an open can, but has some nice parts on it Thumbs Up

All in all, for a commute on 30mph roads, you'll want a YBR125 or a CG, thats all.

If you are 17>24 you'll want to do your test on it and sell it fast. Wink

Its not snobbery, as I actually enjoy 125s, but get the test out of the way. Insurance on a 125 costs more than a 500 for me. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
_Iain_ This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

MotorbikerTom
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:57 - 21 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of the two i would definitely have the KTM, purely because i love Naked bikes. It looks the part and seems pretty nippy from what i've heard and seen on videos of it.

The fact is you could get on with doing your full license, start the 2 year restriction countdown and be riding a cbr 600 or ktm duke 620 in 2 years time. Or for that matter in a months time Smile

If you have the money to do your test then i definitely would Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:59 - 21 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

_Iain_ wrote:

Though the posey 125's are all a bit shit...I mean my YBR, with a blood bag on the back, me at 17stone, and a backpack with a drink, hoodie, GPS scanner/tracker thing, was able to hang with yamaha's R125 w/a leo vince exhaust up till about 40-50mph from a standing start off the lights. thats what, a £4500 bike, with a £300? £400? exhaust on it and it cant get away from a £1500 commuter with decent tyres? Insurance wise a CBR would add £200 to my insurance premium, and the duke just shy of 1k.

My brothers insurance on his YBR is about £20 less than my cbr, so i see no reason to worry about insurance (where both the same age).
And i dont agree with J.M about wind protection. i think its great Wink
_Iain_ This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:08 - 23 Mar 2012    Post subject: Re: KTM Duke 125 vs. CBR 125 Reply with quote

guile wrote:
As my first bike, I am deciding between the CBR 125 and the KTM Duke 125. What are your opinions on these?

They are both new 125s. I'd only buy a new bike if I couldn't get a similar bike second hand. You can most definitely get second hand 125s with similar characteristics for a lot less.
If you're willing to be paying a good chunk of money every month just to have a newer numberplate, fair enough if you accept it as that.

You're worried about fuel economy of a bigger bike, but these will likely depreciate more per mile than the savings of fuel economy.
Someone on here was getting c90 levels of fuel economy from their GPZ500 by riding at c90 speeds.

When I first got a bike, I said the same as you "I don't care if it's faster". Turns out I was wrong and I did care when I couldn't hold my own on dual carriageways, despite not expecting to use them as they weren't on my usual commute.

guile
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:20 - 23 Mar 2012    Post subject: Re: KTM Duke 125 vs. CBR 125 Reply with quote

G wrote:
When I first got a bike, I said the same as you "I don't care if it's faster". Turns out I was wrong and I did care when I couldn't hold my own on dual carriageways, despite not expecting to use them as they weren't on my usual commute.

I think I would only be using dual carriages very occassionally.

I really don't understand why so many people say you will get bored of a 125 fast and need something with more power. The go pro clips I have seen on youtube look very nippy and 125 are smaller so better for filtering. For central London commuting I can't understand all the people saying get a 600 - are they just all motorway speed freaks?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 16:34 - 23 Mar 2012    Post subject: Re: KTM Duke 125 vs. CBR 125 Reply with quote

As I say, I was in the same position as you when I was 17. I thought a 125cc 4 stroke would be plenty. I was soon disappointed and wanted more.

After using a a wide range of different bikes from a C90 to a tuned ex-race superbike, I bought a 2006 GSXR1000 for commuting through the centre of Reading (basically from one edge of Reading to the other, through the centre).
Was it needed? Certainly not; but it was easiest and most pleasant way to do the journey.

If you are just stuck with central London, you may well find that's all you need - though for me, I'd want a bike I would be sure could out accelerate most cars out there - so at least a 125 2 stroke.

If you were on a limited budget, it may well make sense to just but a 125cc 4 stroke and stick with it - but it seems you've got a very reasonable budget to play with.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 16:42 - 23 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Duke is better all round. However bleeting on about having a 125 because the running costs are lower is moronic when you are talking about dropping the majority of £4k on a brand new bike!

I'd like a Duke 125 to drop a 250SX engine in or similar

petexa
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:02 - 27 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guile,

Get the bike you want, i have the KTM and think its a fantastic bike, but thats my thoughts.

The KTM is my first bike and if it wasnt for the KTM i wouldnt be considering doing my test.

Im up and down the A406 and A13 everyday doing 30mile journeys and the KTM does hold its own as its all 50mph speed limits.

I thought it was expensive when i bought the bike, but was the only 125 i like.

Hope it helps. Thumbs Up

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:49 - 27 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

petexa wrote:

Get the bike you want, i have the KTM and think its a fantastic bike, but thats my thoughts.

Pretty natural for someone that's just spent a massive wod of cash on a shiny new thing to think it's great.

I presume you haven't lived with any other bikes to compare it to.

As far as a slow (for a) 125 bike it should be pretty good.
But to my mind, that doesn't make it a good choice for most people.
Give it a good few years for the price to come down in the second hand market and I'll probably be recommending them.

MyCarVsYourHe...
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 08:22 - 28 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you will lose less money in the long run with the CBR, but considering you're buying a 125 brand new, resale value doesn't seem to be much of an issue for you presumably, there's a bloke about 6 doors up from me with a duke, we've ridden together before and he seems to struggle a bit when it comes to A roads. Have you considered the YZF r125 +A1 test for a permanent 125 commuter?

lihp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:49 - 28 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's this for a neutral view?

Don't buy a new 125, it's a massive waste of cash. For that 4k you could do the license and buy something bigger, and if you buy right probably just as economical.

Oh, I bought a brand new 125 many years ago, in hindsight it was stupid.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 35 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2