Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Yay, Fibre Optic!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Hetzer
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:54 - 10 Mar 2012    Post subject: Yay, Fibre Optic! Reply with quote

BT Openreach have been working outside the house for the last couple of weeks. Today I saw a new green box and asked the guy if it was FO. "Yes" he says, "40MB if you have copper from the pole to your house, 100MB if you have FO." That's proper MB.

I don't need it though.
____________________
"There's the horizon! Ride hard, ride fast and cut down all who stand in your way!"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

iMark
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Nov 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:24 - 10 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky bastard Razz

I miss having Fibre Optic... getting "up to 8mb" just doesnt cut it when I only get an average of 4mb Razz

I miss downloading at 2,000 kb/s not bloody 400-600kb/s Sad

Hopefully wont be too long before D&G get it .... its been said for years that it will be "soon" but that could be between now and the end of time for all "soon" means.
____________________
K8 GSXR 1000
"G" : you got him to have a look at a forum which seems to have established a picture of an erect penis in a cat's mouth as it's mascot and thought he might consider it ok?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Artist
Super Spammer



Joined: 06 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:26 - 10 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy I know runs an IT business out of his home and he has 100mb. Sick fast.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DJH
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 09 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:29 - 10 Mar 2012    Post subject: Re: Yay, Fibre Optic! Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:
I don't need it though.


Neither do i but i still wannit. Very Happy

Still not available here in SW London even though samknows.com says it should be.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

SpicyBlimp
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Oct 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:18 - 10 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was averaging around 2mbps, bt infinity came to the area.

FTTC
40mbps down all the time
10mbps up all the time

Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Alpha-9
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:08 - 11 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, highest i've seen my downrate is on steam about 3.8MB/s

https://www.speedtest.net/result/1826188321.png
Comparey? Laughing

22 megabits = 2.75 megabytes
____________________
Fzr-600 1999
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

J.M.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:07 - 11 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.speedtest.net/result/1826250722.png

I feel lucky if I ever see a download exceed 300kbps though. Lately I've been having to wait for periods of about 3-5 minutes to load a 40 second YouTube video.

I want this FO goodness!
____________________
2004 R1 & 2018 XSR900
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Alpha-9
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:10 - 11 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.M. wrote:

I feel lucky if I ever see a download exceed 300kbps though. Lately I've been having to wait for periods of about 3-5 minutes to load a 40 second YouTube video.

I want this FO goodness!


I'm not surprised with that crappy speed 2.05 megabits = 262.4 kilobytes

There's a big difference between megabit (Mb) and megabyte (MB)
____________________
Fzr-600 1999
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

J.M.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:16 - 11 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpha-9 wrote:
I'm not surprised with that crappy speed 2.05 megabits = 262.4 kilobytes

There's a big difference between megabit (Mb) and megabyte (MB)


Crap, I didn't notice that. I thought that was MB Laughing

We used to get ~200-300 as standard, with the occasional thing (occasional = very rare) clocking around ~500kbps.

I'm looking forwards to Uni next year- they're advertising ~30MB/s wireless for all rooms. Drooling
____________________
2004 R1 & 2018 XSR900
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

L4Isoside
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Mar 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:57 - 11 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.speedtest.net/result/1827059375.png

I likes fibre optics Very Happy.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:10 - 11 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.M. wrote:


I'm looking forwards to Uni next year- they're advertising ~30MB/s wireless for all rooms. Drooling

Prepare to be disappointed. Uni halls Internet is notoriously rubbish.
____________________
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Flip
Super Spammer



Joined: 28 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:21 - 11 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 40meg is upgrading to 80meg in May, for free. Smile Thank you very much BT.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

L4Isoside
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Mar 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:25 - 11 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonB wrote:
J.M. wrote:


I'm looking forwards to Uni next year- they're advertising ~30MB/s wireless for all rooms. Drooling

Prepare to be disappointed. Uni halls Internet is notoriously rubbish.


I heard the Uni in Bristol has really quick internet.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Charlie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:15 - 11 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonB wrote:
Prepare to be disappointed. Uni halls Internet is notoriously rubbish.


Fast in Leeds uni halls too, although they where wired. I say that but after christmas it went pretty slow at peak times for some reason, it never used to. I can see wireless in Halls being shite though. The campus wireless is fast though Thumbs Up
____________________
Past: Honda x8rs, Honda City fly, Honda Hornet 250, Honda VFR750, Yamaha xt600e.
Current: Honda CBR929RR & Yamaha XT660Z Tenere
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

EXC-Rider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jun 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:15 - 11 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

virgin media

https://www.speedtest.net/result/1827619551.png
____________________
owned bikes: DR50, Thumpsta 110 , Honda CR85, Speedfight 100, Yamaha XT125X, Honda CRF450, Honda Hornet '07
current bikes: KTM EXC525 AKA the wheelie machine
A friend in need is a friend indeed but a friend with weed is better!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
N cee thirty This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

steven_191
Nearly there...



Joined: 31 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:50 - 12 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.speedtest.net/result/1828091661.png

cant really watch HD videos without giving them time to load. I blame sky for being shit at the internets

im winning at the minute at the 'slower than' percentage. lame
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Redoko
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:22 - 12 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Sky also.

steven_191 wrote:
https://www.speedtest.net/result/1828091661.png

cant really watch HD videos without giving them time to load. I blame sky for being shit at the internets

im winning at the minute at the 'slower than' percentage. lame


But that is so bad..

Center of High Wycombe.

https://www.speedtest.net/result/1828123035.png
____________________
"Let's face it, this is not the worst thing you've caught me doing."
Sudika Sportsman SK50QT > Gilera DNA50 > Honda CBR125 RW7 > Kawasaki Zephyr750 > Suzuki GSXR600 > Honda Hornet CB600F '51
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

AngelGrinder
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 04:30 - 12 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.speedtest.net/result/1828303732.png

Not bad for a hotel!
____________________
Currently Riding - 2002 Aprilia RSV1000 Mille
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

anthony_r6
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 04:59 - 12 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.speedtest.net/result/1828331871.png

Also on Sky, but this is actually a better result than I have been getting. Laughable speeds.
____________________
Ted : "Maybe he's agoraphobic."
Dougal : "Jack scared of fighting? I don't think so, Ted."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Neorion
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Jul 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:03 - 12 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

on 50Mb at the minute but I get average around 6000Kbps -+ great for getting blu rays.

Going up to 120 in October as part of VM free upgrade.
____________________
VFR FI 2000- Shiney Red Thing
"some things man was never meant to know, for everything else there's Google"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:14 - 12 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool

https://www.speedtest.net/result/1828726615.png

https://yesterdaystheory.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/speed.JPG
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

steven_191
Nearly there...



Joined: 31 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:06 - 12 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

##Paddy## wrote:


you make me sick!!!!

reckon you could run a fibre optic from your place to mine? Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:11 - 12 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol.. probably not Laughing

I'll do another later, should be able to get 150+ Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:50 - 14 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool https://yesterdaystheory.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/speed2.JPG
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 211 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.13 Sec - Server Load: 0.87 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 127.66 Kb