Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Anyone accompany me for a viewing? I'll pay in beer...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

kotachi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:18 - 26 Mar 2012    Post subject: Anyone accompany me for a viewing? I'll pay in beer... Reply with quote

Hi BCF!
I'm Sam, 19 yoa and I'm from the Essex area Smile

Firstly, a thank you - I have been following this forum for many weeks and months now, and your advice has been helping me massively with regards to the CBT I've just done and my search for a first bike.. But only finally have I found the courage to actually register an account!

Secondly, why I'm here...

I've been going to look around trying to find a first bike, throughout Essex and much of South and East London, for the past few weeks. All of these have (thankfully) been in the presence of my dad, a biker of 30+ years and plenty of experience..

Tomorrow I'm due to look at a Honda CG, in South London, Mitcham to be precise, at about 5pm. And, scary thought, my dad's got work so he can't be there! :o and my parents are almost insisting upon a second opinion..

I was basically enquiring if any of you gurus in the south/east london area/vicinity of Mitcham (or anyone on the route between Chelmsford, Essex and Mitcham - I will almost certainly be driving) would be at all willing to accompany me, to help me properly give the bike a once over.

Cheers, Sam, a biker-to-be.
Suntan Sid said: "Look at it this way, your employer wants to pay you the minimum amount, it thinks it can get away with, and extract from you the maximum amount of graft. Ergo it's your responsibility to ensure that karma is restored and you do as little work as you think you can get away with, for the maximum amount of money."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

FerretFing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:31 - 26 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum Sam Mr. Green Thumbs Up hope someone can help....I would but I'm near Bristol & would want pole dancing/lapdancing as well as beer & some posh food Wink

Themightyimp
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 22:35 - 26 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

What agreat 1st post mate.Good luck in your search for a bike<and I really hope someone can help you out.

kotachi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:40 - 26 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both Ferret and imp!Very Happy I usually try and start with my best post Imp, they tend to dwindle afterward Wink

And ha, my offer only covers beer and epic conversation on the way to and fro the viewing Wink the food I can cover too, but the naughty stuff, not bloody likely haha!

And well, my friend told me some people here are willing, so it's worth an attempt.. If not I can "blag" it..
Suntan Sid said: "Look at it this way, your employer wants to pay you the minimum amount, it thinks it can get away with, and extract from you the maximum amount of graft. Ergo it's your responsibility to ensure that karma is restored and you do as little work as you think you can get away with, for the maximum amount of money."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:44 - 26 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam?

Not sure if man or woman...... Confused

kotachi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:46 - 26 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can indeed verify that I'm male, if I was female I would much likely be more concerned at asking a collection of strangers for help..

But as a 19 yo, 17st rugby player, I'm quite happy to Smile

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:48 - 26 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've gone and fucked it now.......

No-one wants to help a 19y/o male 17st rugby player..... unless you have teh awesome moobs!

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:48 - 26 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd have got more offers if you'd retained the ambiguity.

Bikers like to play the percentages. Very Happy

Best of luck Thumbs Up

Dilyan
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:50 - 26 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

kotachi wrote:
I can indeed verify that I'm male, if I was female I would much likely be more concerned at asking a collection of strangers for help..
Cansa doesn't care. He'd do anything to please a lady, including driving 300 miles one way.

Welcome to BCF; good luck with the bike (me - useless at giving advice, I just twist the throttle and it goes)

kotachi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:52 - 26 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn. Nexus, Cansa, didn't think of that Crying or Very sad ah well, I'm not trying to lie to people!

Much Wink

I'm a lad new to biking and looking for someone less new to help me, plain and simple! Thumbs Up I'll buy them an 8 crate for their trouble!

Hopefully I'll find a kind soul Very Happy anyway, thanks guys Smile

Themightyimp
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 22:53 - 26 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:

No-one wants to help a 19y/o male 17st rugby player..... unless you have teh awesome moobs!

Dunno cansa,some rugby players have been known to like to take it. Laughing

kotachi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:54 - 26 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Themightyimp wrote:
CaNsA wrote:

Dunno cansa,some rugby players have been known to like to take it. Laughing

Wink

Group hug in the showers. That's all I'm saying Thumbs Up

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:04 - 26 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sam.

Mitcham at 5pm is no fun at all to drive in. Give yourself plenty of time to arrive.

For a route I suggest A12, A406, A13, fight your way into and through Blackwall Tunnel, off right at Kidbrooke taking Westhorne Avenue towards Lewisham on the A205, left just under the bridge onto Verdant Lane, right at the Total garage onto Whitefoot Lane and follow Southend Lane towards Sydenham, left and up Sydenham Rd/Westwood Hill to Crystal Palace, right after the Shell garage down College Rd, left and on at the bottom roundabout past the shops then left under the arch and up Salters Hill, right out the end of that and up Crown Dale, across the lights and all the way to the bottom, turn right onto the A23. Left onto Ambleside then another left onto Mitcham Lane and join the queue into Mitcham.

If you're at Blackwall Tunnel between 3.30 and 4pm you're in with a good chance.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

kotachi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:07 - 26 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:

Mitcham at 5pm is no fun at all to drive in. Give yourself plenty of time to arrive.

Thanks Pete.

I shall be sure to take that route idea into consideration, as someone living just outside London I am saved the worst of the dreaded rush hour traffic, but I was thinking along the same lines for a route in as I live practically on the A12!

Tbh I can always default to getting the train, I just thought I'd consider driving incase it would make it easier for someone to join me...

Scootaloo
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 11:24 - 27 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in the Sutton Area and have bought a fucked up CBF125 and a brand new one, and recently a CB-1, although my buying experiences is very limited all I can say is, ask for a go on it.

If it starts first time and idles fine (does it sound healthy?) , revs up fine then check out the gears (when you change is there an audible click?) and clutch, feel the bite and see if the clutch is smooth, test each brake one at a time, push down the on front forks and see if they compress smoothly, same for the rear, check out the chain and sprocket, looking out for any colouration. Take a meter stick and check the wheel alinement's.
Test each instrument on the panel and lights and horns, check under the seat for battery condition (if it is even under there, are the connectors corroded/worn) Check the various nuts and bolts, check the condition of them, having a look at a few will give you an idea of the overall bike condition.

I might be able to help out if you want, but there are probably more experienced people willing to lend a hand.

All the best, Scootaloo

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:16 - 27 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll come with you Sam. I'll send you my number, text me the address.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ceekay
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:23 - 27 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great. As a new member it's really nice to see. Thumbs Up

I actually was going to have a similar request in a few weeks once i pass my CBT as I know literally nobody that owns a bike, so it's good to know that this kind of thing is possible.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:04 - 27 Mar 2012    Post subject: Re: Anyone accompany me for a viewing? I'll pay in beer... Reply with quote

kotachi wrote:
Hi BCF! I'm Sam, 19 yoa and I'm from the Essex area Smile

I'm a big burly lad who spends most of his time grappling and showering with other blokes. Currently looking to meet men in an out of the way car park or industrial estate and ply them with alcohol before getting down and dirty.

Have you tried PMing The999Kid? You'd have to beat him off with... well, just that, probably.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:12 - 27 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess he didn't get my message in time Sad

Oh well, hope it went ok....

kotachi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:31 - 27 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Pete Sad I'm actually so sad I missed your message, I checked most of the things posted by Scoota.... But I missed a few things, and the start up from cold was kinda slow, took a few tries (but it was a manual choke which I then realised was too low! Thumbs Up) I have to add, from when you posted at ~1pm, I had 2 dogs to walk, then a hospital visit and then I left at 3pm! Pity...

It did sound healthy enough though, thankfully!

Link posted here for any opinions.....
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201212458754759/sort/priceasc/usedbikes/model/cg/make/honda/radius/40/postcode/cm34dh/page/1?logcode=p

I just HPI'd it, and it cleared.. Wonderful Very Happy

May go back tomorrow, Pete, would you be free? Maybe? Razz

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:39 - 27 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I can't do tomorrow - got a meeting at 5. On a course thursday too.

kotachi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:51 - 27 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's ok, thank you very much for trying to help me in the first place Cool and your directions actually saved me, it made sure I got there on time! Razz

In the end I did bring a friend as an accomplice, it turned out to be more for moral support than anything (he sat in the car, giggling to himself - how helpful!) but in absence of an expert to check the bike out with me, I made what I thought was quite a sly move.. I've asked him to get a fresh MOT for me which he's doing tomorrow Smile

Then if it flies through like I suspect it will, time to fill in the V5's, get a receipt, and get out of there!!!

nick_houghton
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:10 - 27 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck dude. Don't forget pics!

kotachi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:21 - 27 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

When a deal finally goes through, and I clean it up to looking perfect for me... Then yes, pics will be everywhere! Mr. Green
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 4 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1