BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Honda CBF125

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

ClydeGhost
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:20 - 05 Apr 2012    Post subject: Honda CBF125 Reply with quote

I'm a new rider and this is the first bike that is under my name. I'm extremely excited. She's only 3 years old 7k miles.

First time I started her up and pull away I stalled (I was only working on a memory years ago when my uncle taught me how to ride). Granted it was naughty of me to ride prior to my CBT (Which is this Saturday) but I was a tad bit too excited. The gears were a bit confusing but I got it all down now.

I was just wondering if there are any specifics about this bike that I need to know about. Knowhows and whatnot. Like, the main issue I have with it is the central stand. I can't put it on the central stand by myself. Are there any tricks to it?

THANKS!

Alpha-9
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:25 - 05 Apr 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sitting on the bike, put your left foot on the centre stand pinning it to the floor and pull the bike back up onto it while standing up, in neutral or you'll need the clutch

ClydeGhost
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:30 - 05 Apr 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpha-9 wrote:
Sitting on the bike, put your left foot on the centre stand pinning it to the floor and pull the bike back up onto it while standing up, in neutral or you'll need the clutch

Doing this while sitting on the bike? Uhm... I'm kinda small, my feet barely hit the floor while I sit on it, let alone holding the stand down AND pulling the bike. It may be deemed as a small bike because it has a smaller engine but it's huge and heavy to me xD I guess central stand will be forever out of reach for me. Or I'll get used to it... hopefully.... But, I'll still try that method. See if I can work it.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:34 - 05 Apr 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's never even occurred to me to try and put a bike on the centre stand while sitting on it. Shocked

Stand beside it, right foot on the centre stand, grab anything that you can at the back, then start putting your weight on the stand while pulling the bike back, and up she goes. If you have to heave hard, you're not putting enough weight on the stand.

Issues with the CBF125 that I've heard about: corrosion (everywhere), burning through oil, fuel pump failure, FI electromagical failure.

ClydeGhost
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:39 - 05 Apr 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
It's never even occurred to me to try and put a bike on the centre stand while sitting on it. Shocked

Stand beside it, right foot on the centre stand, grab anything that you can at the back, then start putting your weight on the stand while pulling the bike back, and up she goes. If you have to heave hard, you're not putting enough weight on the stand.

Issues with the CBF125 that I've heard about: corrosion (everywhere), burning through oil, fuel pump failure, FI electromagical failure.

I have heard that it was mainly the exhaust that goes quicker than the rest. With the black 'matted' bit chipping off, but, I didn't think it was too much of an issue. Probably the reason why it's affordable.
And thanks! I'll try that method.

Alpha-9
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:40 - 05 Apr 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well not sitting on it sitting on it, more like, stand over it, with it between your legs...It didn't occur to me that you'd have to be tall to do it

That's how i've always used mine anyway, I never get off my bike to put it onto centre stand
Thinking

Listen to Roger Laughing apparently I do everything the retard way Thumbs Up

Last edited by Alpha-9 on 14:42 - 05 Apr 2012; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ClydeGhost
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:41 - 05 Apr 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpha-9 wrote:
Well not sitting on it sitting on it, more like, stand over it, with it between your legs...It didn't occur to me that you'd have to be tall to do it

That's how i've always used mine anyway, I never get off my bike to put it onto centre stand
Thinking

I'm like 5"4

Alpha-9
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:44 - 05 Apr 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClydeGhost wrote:
Alpha-9 wrote:

Thinking

I'm like 5"4

N'awww

It's okay. Sometimes I wish I was smaller so everytime I stand I don't get "FAKKIN HELL! HOW TALL ARE YOU?" how long's a piece of string -_-

I just find it easier and more balanced to have a foot at either side when I did it.... but actually I smacked myself in the balls doing it this morning. You just reminded me *shudder*

snikks
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:07 - 05 Apr 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seconding roger's method - there's a knack to it, but once you get it, it doesn't actually take a lot of strength to get a bike onto it's centre-stand.

A key point is to make sure that both feet of the stand are in contact with the ground before attempting to use your weight to lever it up, otherwise it'll be unstable, take a lot more strength, and you could drop it on yourself or throw it stylishly on the floor away from you (as certain people may have done in the office car park Embarassed ).

esullivan
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 15:13 - 05 Apr 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

snikks wrote:
A key point is to make sure that both feet of the stand are in contact with the ground before attempting to use your weight to lever it up, otherwise it'll be unstable, take a lot more strength, and you could drop it on yourself or throw it stylishly on the floor away from you (as certain people may have done in the office car park Embarassed ).

Or stylishly throw it away from you and then trip over the bike trying to catch it ... so that you and the bike topple over ... in front of friends and family that you have gathered together so that you can show them the bike.

That's never happened to me, of course.

ClydeGhost
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:15 - 05 Apr 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there have been fears that I would do that. So, I resorted to asking here rather than chancing it and end up dropping it on my feet.

Your advice may have saved some people's dignity or feet. It certainly saved mine. Thank you good sirs.

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:35 - 05 Apr 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

As per the above suggestions, if you find yourself trying to lift the bike, you are doing it wrong.

You need to push the stand downwards whilst pulling a part of the bike upwards, imagine a big elastic band wrapped between the part of the bike you have your hand on and under your foot, if you try and stretch the band the bike will go on the stand.

Frizzy
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:34 - 05 Apr 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

You haven't stolen my bike have you? o_O I just took delivery of my 09 honda cbf yesterday that also has about 7000 miles Razz

It's also my first bike, unfortunately not had chance to ride it yet as it was blowing a gale yesterday and was very nippy this morning!

I struggled with the centre stand on the scooter on my CBT so I haven't even attempted it yet on the bike, I just have it on the side stand for now. I do have a slight height advantage over you, I'm between 5'6" and 5'7" (depends who measures me!) and I an just get my feet flat on the floor.

Aren't they gorgeous bikes though? I was torn between this and a YBR but I just fell in love when I went to view the bike and couldn't throw my credit card at the dealer fast enough!

I think they have just the right amount of style for me to get away with riding it as a girl without everyone thinking I'm a lesbian Razz

ClydeGhost
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:05 - 05 Apr 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frizzy wrote:
You haven't stolen my bike have you? o_O I just took delivery of my 09 honda cbf yesterday that also has about 7000 miles Razz

It's also my first bike, unfortunately not had chance to ride it yet as it was blowing a gale yesterday and was very nippy this morning!

I struggled with the centre stand on the scooter on my CBT so I haven't even attempted it yet on the bike, I just have it on the side stand for now. I do have a slight height advantage over you, I'm between 5'6" and 5'7" (depends who measures me!) and I an just get my feet flat on the floor.

Aren't they gorgeous bikes though? I was torn between this and a YBR but I just fell in love when I went to view the bike and couldn't throw my credit card at the dealer fast enough!

I think they have just the right amount of style for me to get away with riding it as a girl without everyone thinking I'm a lesbian Razz

Ahaha, I looked at a nice Red YBR myself too. But once I viewed this one I was already won over! Loved it to bits! And I attempted to put it on centre stand and just ended up almost dropping it. I was quite glad my boyfriend was there to grab it before it fell! So, I think I'll leave the centre stand for now. Don't want to drop this when I've just bought it two days ago!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 17 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1