Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

which helmet am i better off going for?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

aj1soad
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:25 - 08 Apr 2012    Post subject: which helmet am i better off going for? Reply with quote

hi all. imi trying to find my first helmet but dont want to spend over the top on my first one. ive had a look on ebay but i have no idea what is good enough. ive measured my head and its 59cm tight and i wear glasses. so am i better off going for a large helmet which is 59-60cm or XL which is 61-62cm.
here are a few ive seen
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BYE-STREAMER-MOTORCYCLE-CRASH-HELMET-SUN-VISOR-SIZE-EXTRA-LARGE-61-62-NEW-/251034042977?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Helmets&hash=item3a72cb8261
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DUCHINNI-D701-MATT-BLACK-MOTORCYCLE-MOTORBIKE-BIKE-HELMET-OPTIONAL-DARK-VISOR-/290686335550?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Helmets&vti=Size%09Extra+Large&hash=item896240bb73
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DUCHINNI-D801-MOTORCYCLE-MOTORBIKE-HELMET-BLACK-XL-62-/140505038178?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Helmets&hash=item20b6c0bd62
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Spada-RP750-Gloss-Black-Full-Face-Motorbike-Helmet-/200601338444?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Helmets&vti=Size%09Extra+Large&hash=item746b57ec70
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/g-mac-siege-full-face-helmet-/280844756479?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Helmets&hash=item4163a6e5ff
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BOX-BX2R-TARGET-MOTORCYCLE-BIKE-SCOOTER-HELMET-BLACK-XL-/300369487308?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Helmets&hash=item45ef6aa5cc
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NITRO-MEDIEVAL-FIBREGLASS-SCOOTER-MOTORBIKE-MOTORCYCLE-CRASH-HELMET-SATIN-BLACK-/390355908766?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Helmets&var=&hash=item99ada74163
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BOX-BX1-FULL-FACE-CRASH-HELMET-STOCK-CLEARANCE-GLOSS-BLACK-SIZE-EXTRA-LARGE-/251013884587?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Helmets&hash=item3a7197eaab
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Box-BX-1-Plain-Black-Motorcycle-Helmet-Lid-Size-Extra-Large-XL-Road-Riding-/190644891181?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Helmets&hash=item2c63522e2d

Dazbo666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:49 - 08 Apr 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're much better off going to a bike shop first, and trying a number of different branded helmets...
Take note of brand and size etc, then buy online if that's the way you want to go.

As is often mentioned on here, a relatively cheap helmet that fits properly is going to be of much more benefit than an expensive helmet that doesn't.

(edit: please don't just go by the stated size of the helmet...
For me, an XL Duchinni, or AGV helmet will fit, but what appears to be a similar XL Arai or Shoei just doesn't)

Last edited by Dazbo666 on 18:55 - 08 Apr 2012; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

supZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:50 - 08 Apr 2012    Post subject: Re: which helmet am i better off going for? Reply with quote

what helmet should you go for?

one that fits right. everything else is a nice to have.

get to a shop and try some on, find out what fits then make a decision and buy online if you want. dont buy without trying. all helmets have different sizes and shapes so the same size in 2 different ones wont necessarily fit you

GREENI3
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:49 - 08 Apr 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd defiantly recommend going to a shop and trying some on.

When I was buying a new lid I went to my local bike shop and tried on every helmet they had.

None of them fit properly except KBC.
And that was a Small (55-56cm). My head measures 58cm which would indicate a Medium, but all manufacturers vary in sizes.

And remember, you don't have to buy it from the shop. Thumbs Up

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:57 - 08 Apr 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heads and helmets are different shapes. Try on lots.

Technically you can return helmets under the Distance Selling Regulations - there's no exception for them (although there possibly should be), but you'll get no end of grief, and you might end up paying more in return postage than paying a shop premium.

HondaRebel125
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:18 - 08 Apr 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

in b4 the one that fits Mr. Green

But seriously, the one that fits, I have been trying ones out and the only ones that seem to fit properly are all 300 pounds, that's nearly a months wages after tax for me, but it is better than brain damage or death, I hear that can really affect your ability to ride!

Thumbs Up

Sako
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:17 - 08 Apr 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

HondaRebel125 wrote:

But seriously, the one that fits, I have been trying ones out and the only ones that seem to fit properly are all 300 pounds, that's nearly a months wages after tax for me, but it is better than brain damage or death, I hear that can really affect your ability to ride!

Thumbs Up

as above, whatever fits is the one you buy, be it £40 or £400, it's your safety at the end of the day how much do you value yourself?

Themightyimp
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 22:32 - 08 Apr 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

HondaRebel125 wrote:

Thumbs Up

It sure can affect your ability to ride.I bought my helmet a year ago and it felt like a nice snug fit.Now a year on it is as sloppy as well I wont say.lol
So I need a new one,and i'll possiblt go for the same brand again but a size smaller so it squeezes my cheeks a bit tighter.

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:59 - 09 Apr 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just like others have said, get down to a shop and just try some on. When I did my CBT I borrowed a helmet some taka(insert rest of word) helmet on and it was Large. so In my head I was Large.
Went to a shop and I bought a Nitro helmet but I was XL in that make.
Good luck
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fowlersrs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:02 - 09 Apr 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this is your first helmet then I think itd be suicide to order online without trying, I thought I knew what I wanted only to find that my head didnt want something because it was agony to wear, honestly, get down to a big shop, try everything on, find some designs u like, note the models, even ask if theyl match an online price, then you get to take the helmet home and not run the risk of it being smashed by a courier!!

aj1soad
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:42 - 09 Apr 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

went to a shop today and tried alot of different helmets on. the only 2 in the shop out of about 100 that fit nice with my glasses on was either BOX BX1 scope XL, or HJC XXL

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:03 - 09 Apr 2012    Post subject: Re: which helmet am i better off going for? Reply with quote

supZ wrote:
what helmet should you go for?

one that fits right. everything else is a nice to have.

get to a shop and try some on, find out what fits then make a decision and buy online if you want. dont buy without trying. all helmets have different sizes and shapes so the same size in 2 different ones wont necessarily fit you

Is the correct answer.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Screw Loose
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:03 - 09 Apr 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

As has already been said, go for the fit in store.

Sizes differ quite a lot, I'm a medium if it's a shoe, and a extra large if it's a nitro. For what it's worth, get it done properly at a shop, you wouldn't buy a new bike off ebay without checking it out first, don't treat your helmet any differently.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:07 - 09 Apr 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj1soad wrote:
the only 2 in the shop out of about 100 that fit nice with my glasses on was either BOX BX1 scope XL, or HJC XXL

The Box is 4 star SHARP rated, go for it.

JoeDougieDoug...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:01 - 09 Apr 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know its probably out of your price range - being a first helmet and all, but I have just bought a AGV Longway helmet...the flip up one. Its really quite comfortable and it actually has space in the padding for glasses which is nice. I bought mine for £100 but it was on sale, I think they go for about £150.
_Iain_ This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 261 days between these two posts...
Jemcamb This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

Englishman
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:32 - 30 Dec 2012    Post subject: Re: Nitro Aikodo Helmet Reply with quote

Jemcamb wrote:
I'm thinking of buying a Nitro Aikido helmet. Are they any good? Thanks

Jebus Christ - how many posts are you going to make about this helmet? Go try one on somewhere, FFS.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:38 - 30 Dec 2012    Post subject: Re: Nitro Aikodo Helmet Reply with quote

Jemcamb wrote:
I'm thinking of buying a Nitro Aikido helmet. Are they any good? Thanks

Joins forum. Wants to buy helmet. makes two threads about it and resurrects a third. Rolling Eyes
https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=3439269&highlight=#3439269

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=3439268&highlight=#3439268

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=3439263&highlight=#3439263

TRY THEM ON AND SEE WHICH FITS YOU BEST.

I SAID, YOU NEED TO TRY THEM ON.

TomGT
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 00:35 - 31 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't pay any attention to the Sharp test, it is complete and utter bollocks. When the Sharp scheme won't tell manufacturers like Schuberth how they can improve, and £50 Chinese lids are getting more stars than Arai, you know something's up.

Went in to Infinity the other day and the guys in there agreed, they had an Arai Rx? that was worn by a lad who used to work there, he hit the central reservation of the M1 head first at 80mph, the Arai has a scuff on the left side and some smashed foam on the inside, but he survived without any head injuries.

Try that in any Box, Nitro, Takawattawa, Caberg and you will be killed, more often than not the helmet compresses to something like a piece of steel. The fact that Richard Hammond is still alive is testament to Arai, as well as the many racers who crash and survive. The reason Arai's score so low is because the side pods fall off, which they are meant to, this has probably saved lives on its own.

The Simpson Bandit doesn't even have a Sharp rating, but has all sorts of Snell ratings and suchlike, the fact that drag racers going more than 200mph trust them means they are more than good enough for the road.

bikertomm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:47 - 31 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomGT wrote:

Try that in any Box, Nitro, Takawattawa, Caberg and you will be killed

Woah nelly!

There is no doubt in my mind an Arai is better than one of these, but that's one hell of a conclusion to jump Shocked

Thumbs Up

TomGT wrote:
£50 Chinese lids are getting more stars than Arai, you know something's up.

Ever thought they could just be making them to score 5 stars?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:06 - 31 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomGT. I strongly suspect you misunderstand a great deal of the physics behind how helmets work.

A helmet that is completely smashed to bits after an impact will probably have taken more energy out of the impact than one that looks relatively undamaged. There is a definate school of thought that some of the cheaper brands actually offer more protection because of this.

What you are paying for with an Arai is the longevity of a composite shell, lightness and different sized outer shells for different head sizes (cheaper helmets use one shell size and different thicknesses of padding). As well as a fairly large chunk of brand image.

I wear an Arai but only because it's the only one I've found that has robust enough cheek pads to prevent it pressing the visor against my nose at high speed.

Simson bandit is a particularly poor example to give. It's a car racing helmet. Not only does it have severely restricted peripheral vision but it is snell tested which means it's designed to take multiple impacts and resist penetration by a sharp object. As such, it's generally tougher than a motorcycle helmet which is only likely to sustain a single primary impact. Think of an egg being dropped in a biscuit tin compared to in a cardboard box.

J.M.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:19 - 31 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomGT wrote:
lies

I'll stick to my £30 Box and and £40 HJC helmet, which have both been dropped, to keep me safe.

I'll wear any helmet which fits me well. Thumbs Up

TomGT
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 01:20 - 31 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do see your point Stinkwheel, but I'm basing my beliefs on what I've seen in my job. I've had a lad on a TZR that slid face first after his Caberg opened after a 40mph impact, a 16 year old on a ped who had a broken jaw after a low speed T-bone wearing a HJC, and a 52 year old with a base of skull fracture after being rear-ended at a junction.

On the contrary, a mate had a serious accident which involved hitting the roof of a Mercedes at high speed before bouncing 40ft down the road, he should have been killed, but his AGV Stealth saved him with the only head injury being a fractured eye socket. The AGV has a 5 star sharp test, which contradicts my point.

But I'm sure you'd agree that you should invest as much as you can in a high quality helmet, there are many people alive today because of their Shoei or Arai, but to date I haven't met anyone at a cafe, meet, or ride out who has mentioned their Box.

At the end of the day it's about trust, there's a video somewhere of the Schuberth factory tour, any component that's not absolutely perfect is chucked in the scrap bin, Chinese goods are generally made on the contrary. But at the same time my new Arai could have been assembled poorly in the last minute before the start of lunch hour, or the tested helmet in the batch could have just scraped through the factory safety test.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 02:11 - 31 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomGT wrote:

But I'm sure you'd agree that you should invest as much as you can in a high quality helmet, there are many people alive today because of their Shoei or Arai, but to date I haven't met anyone at a cafe, meet, or ride out who has mentioned their Box.

I wouldn't agree.

I think a helmet makes a relatively small difference to the survivability of a crash regardless of how much it cost.

The dynamics of the accident count far more. ie. Did you actually hit your head, what on and how hard? A fatal head injury in a crash will nearly always be a fatal head injury in my oppinion.

They may have an effect on the severity of survivable brain injuries but not as much as people think. We're talking about half an inch of fibreglass covered polystyrene here. Hit a solid object with your head at an impact speed of more than say 20mph and you're fucked, helmet or not.

Note I said impact speed, not road speed. Whether I fall off my bike onto a flat surface while stationary or at 100mph, my head hits the ground at the same speed which is however fast it accelerated to between riding height and the ground. The speed you were doing when you crashed has no effect on how hard you hit the ground. Stationary objects you may run into before you stop sliding are another matter entirely.

There is also the fact that a badly fitting helmet will almost certainly INCREASE your chances of sustaining a severe head or neck injury. As such, cost and brand loyalty are far less important than fit.

There is very little by way of good, statistical evidence out there to back up any of the tests they subject helmets to. Testing of motorcycle safety equipment is highly subjective. I've never seen a retrospective study showing people wearing brand x suffered fewer injuries than brand y. In fact, when they brought the helmet laws in, there was no evidence helmets helped at all, it just seemed like a good idea.

So what I'm saying, if I'm saying anything, is wear one by all means but don't rely on it becuse it will not help all that much if you have a big off. When you do buy it, select by fit, not brand. Other considerations like comfort, field of view, visor security and fastening method are equally important. Your visor flying open at 100mph in the rain every time you do a shoulder check is actively dangerous.

Perhaps the type of riders who wear box helmets employ better primary protection? ie. making sure they ride within their limits.

EDIT: Anecdotal evidence of crashes is unhelpful and doesn't tell you much. I once highsided at 70mph and ragdolled down the road. My helmet never touched the road and I sustained a nasty carpet burn on my elbow from the lining of my jacket. I once lowsided on a wooden bridge at zero mph (ran out of momentum), sprained my wrist and broke my foot.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 112 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2