Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Complete totally clueless novice needs help!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ade067
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:04 - 21 Apr 2004    Post subject: Complete totally clueless novice needs help! Reply with quote

I've never had a bike before and am just looking for something that will get me to work and back which is a 30mile round trip mostly on B roads.I'm about to take my CBT this weekend and have been looking at a few bikes but just cannot make my mind up on which one! the few i've narrowed it down to are either..

An 02 plate Suzuki GS125
A Y plate Honda CG125
Or a brand new Vulcan Harrier,i'm told they are very much like a Kymco Pulsar and do look very similar,the thought of having 'brand new' is very tempting!

I would like to get something a bit quicker like maybe an older NSR125 or something but i need it to be very very reliable as i'll be depending on it mostly for work.

Any help would be appreciated!
cheers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Jammy-G This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Mattastic
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 08:10 - 22 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an 1986 C plate GS125 and although it's not the quickest,and the breaks are pointless it is full and hasn't let me down.

*touches wood*

Bod
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:26 - 22 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a GZ125, its very good and very reliable. Its a good bike to learn on, have you seen it in the Exchange and Mart section?
Bod

AcIdBuRnZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:23 - 22 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of the bikes that you mentioned will be faster than an NSR.

They are 4 strokes - NSR is 2 stroke. Ride them if you can and feel (hear!) the difference.

Seriously - buy a secondhand NSR, you won't be disappointed (and when you drop it it won't be as painful as dropping a new bike).

Hope this helps your decision,

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 09:22 - 23 Apr 2004    Post subject: Re: Complete totally clueless novice needs help! Reply with quote

Depending on the B roads a 4 stroke may or may not be acceptable. I really wouldn't buy one of the chinessey brands, brand new, unless it is very cheap. You will loose a lot when you come to sell otherwise.

I would go for something like an NSR, my old NSR125F was very reliable, better than my cg infact (but also a lot less crashed than my cg). Keep it well maintained, change stuff like piston/rings before it is required and you shouldn't really have too many problems. 2 stroke engines are a lot easier to work on as well generally.

Rob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:04 - 23 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

But then, a NSR being 'sports bike' shaped, isn't going to be the most confortable bike to ride on a commute? If you have to do a lot of weaving through traffic too, a more upright riding position will be much more helpful as will the better turning circle!

Yes the NSR will have more poke than any of the 4 stroke's but at a price, and if you are going to upgrade at some point in the near future, why bother paying a premium for a NSR?

Just my 2p's worth! Laughing

Danny
Ask Me About Stoppie School

PostPosted: 12:18 - 23 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found my NSR much more comfortable than a CG, my back really hurts after riding a cg for any length of time.

Rob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:24 - 23 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danny wrote:
I found my NSR much more comfortable than a CG, my back really hurts after riding a cg for any length of time.

Yeah, but you're just wierd!!! Laughing Laughing

just kiddin' you're not that wierd really!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 6 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1