BCF: Bike Chat Forums

CBT Tomorrow

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Dazed
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:23 - 21 Apr 2004    Post subject: CBT Tomorrow Reply with quote

Woohoo it's my CBT tomorrow! Unfortunately it was my sister's 23rd tonight and i'm plastered so wish me luck! I've gotta get up at 6:45am and i'm surprised how coherently i can type with one hand whilst drunk Razz

Stevie Northants
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 00:16 - 22 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck,hope you don't stay dazed. Wink

Last edited by Stevie Northants on 14:05 - 22 Apr 2004; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:52 - 22 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just drink lots of coffee, and don't do like I did.... Nearly end up in a bush! LOL Twisted Evil Damn that target fixation *snigger*

Sure you'll do fine Thumbs Up

KevTM
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:53 - 22 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would wish you good luck but you probably wont need it! Mr. Green

It'll be a great day out i'm willing to bet, and you'll be coming home with a nice little bit of paper. Thumbs Up

have a good'un.

Dazed
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 08:06 - 22 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blummin 'eck cheers peeps. Didn't half feel rough last night, was quite ill, damn Stella Razz Just feeling a bit weak at the moment, hope they don't put a lunch on at the CBT thing Sick

Bod
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:27 - 22 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, its all good fun good luck.
Bod

Dazed
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:48 - 23 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the CBT on Thursday, still felt pretty sick through it all and had 3hrs sleep and nothing to eat beforehand. Didn't pass Sad Was on a Suzuki GS125, got to grips with the basics on the large car park, but found it a bit tricky as I’d never ridden any type of motorbike or 'ped before. Was learning with 2 lads who were on 'peds, and a guy who was on his 2nd CBT who already drove lots (car & bus) and had a coach, bus and car licence already. So I felt it a bit hard with no-one else having to learn at my pace. The instructor had me go around a large triangle of cones repeatedly (on my own) to change between 2nd & 1st gear on the corners, which helped a lot. As well as practicing emergency stops, figure of 8s, u-turns & left turns.

Later on we went out on the roads around Manchester, and they had me leading at the start for a while, then later I followed the other guy on the GS125. I did alright, but I did silly things like leave my indicators on, and probably tootled along at 20 - 30mph as the bike had a km/h dial with converter stickers that I didn't want to trust as to me it felt really fast not being used to it. Feel sorry for the instructor on his Fazer now Razz

Did the emergency stop well, and the 1st U-turn was good, though I put my toe down on the 2nd go. I thought I did alright considering I've never been on the road in any type of vehicle before, and don't know the roads in Manchester at all. Admittedly I did have a moment where I rushed the clutch at a left turning and wasn't far off coming into traffic on the opposite side of the road, as I felt like I had to catch up with the other guy.

I found it tough though having to take in all the bike controlling and OSMPSL all at once though, and I reckon most of my problems are down to clutching, as does the instructor, he also didn't want me going on a roundabout then. So I'll be booking a time after my Uni exams (£35 bike hire) to have another go before mid may probably. Smile

Slinn84
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:02 - 23 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to hear about ur cbt mate,

you had the exact problems as i did, i couldn't get the hang of the clutch thing at all, walking pace and slow cornering was hell.
first time i did a corner i released the clutch too fast, panicked and hit the front brake, fell strtaight on my ass,

anyway, keep at it
its well worth it, plus you have an advantage now when you go back.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

KevTM
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:10 - 23 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah sorry to hear about your CBT too mate. Once you've mastered that clutch nothing will stop you! Very Happy

Keep at it, i failed my bike test a few years ago.. and now i've had to go back do my cbt, theory etc. etc.. i just wish i had stuck in and done it when i had the perfect opportunity.

RickHolt
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 01:42 - 24 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where abouts in Manchester are you DAZED? I did my CBT a couple of weeks ago, had most of the problems you're talking about. Having not even riden a push bike in years balance was a problem. Slowly got the hang of it though. I'm now desperately looking for a cheap 125 to get some practice on. Kinda hard to find.

I'm in Droyslden anyway, let me know if you're somewhere nearby.

Last edited by RickHolt on 14:35 - 24 Apr 2004; edited 1 time in total

AcIdBuRnZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:14 - 24 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm speechless Silence

There should be a BCF award for that.

Seriously mate, that is pretty shocking, I wouldn't have posted that I failed a CBT course.

All the best for the re-sit Shocked

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

swifty_mcvay
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 23:13 - 25 Apr 2004    Post subject: :( Reply with quote

hearing this all really isnt helping lol i gota take mine like nex week even tho i herd it isnt to hard specialy bcoz iv had experience with crossers..but still kinda off putting hearing a few people have failed hhmmm but good luck with your re-sit anyway Smile Thumbs Up

rs fiddie 02'tetsuya rep, Mk sp 75cc alloy kit, 21mm dellorto carb, pod air filter, Mk Clutch, Jolly Moto 80cc pipe

Dazed
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:34 - 25 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ta Cool

Last edited by Dazed on 02:59 - 27 Aug 2004; edited 1 time in total

Dazed
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 00:08 - 26 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

AcIdBuRnZ wrote:
I'm speechless Silence

Seriously mate, that is pretty shocking, I wouldn't have posted that I failed a CBT course.

Well lying about it wouldn't make me ride any better Mr. Green

Cheers to you and others for wishing me luck though Smile

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:07 - 26 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't fail a cbt! you just didn't get to the standard your instructor felt you need on the road to ride safely, and at the end of the day its you who would cop for it if you messed up out there!
ridding a motorbike is not a natural thing, its bloody difficult to learn from scratch, i had driven before quite a bit so knew how gearing and clutch control worked already...
Just try to take on board what your instructor says and relax!

Some places have higher standards than others, its his responsibility partly if he let you loose on manchester and you made a mistake...

What i do find disturbing though is that not all that long ago you could walk into a shop have the guy show you where the clutch and gears and brakes were then ride off into the sunset/hedge/wall/tree

Good luck for your next go, do some reading up on basic bike skills and you won't have any problems second time around Thumbs Up

KevTM
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:40 - 26 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it's pretty good doing the CBT though, i'm glad it's compulsary, obviously being compulsary basic training. The place i done it the first time (years ago) were very relaxed about it, but the company i did it with this time were very good and expected you to acheive a high standard, and confidence.

THe other two guys that were doing it with me at the time didn't quite make the standard and so, weren't alowed out on the road. They go back next week to brush up on their weak points though. I did exceed his standards though Cool ... also missed a turning and ended up having to do a U-turn on a hill lol.. but i did it first time Thumbs Up

Good luck next time mate.. you'll be glad you did the training to their standards after you've got your certificate because it builds your confidence up a little. Wink

atom
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:02 - 26 Apr 2004    Post subject: CBT Reply with quote

I had to sit my CBT four and a half times, they gave me extra tuition for free, I really enjoyed doing cbt, didn't even need my own bike.
Just bought an RS125 which I managed to drop yesterday while trying to do a U turn up a hill, what an idiot Embarassed Good luck

Noggin
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:31 - 26 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

FOUR!?!?!?!?

Sorry, it's just hard to believe, now you definitely deserve an award!

Craig G(Noggin)

atom
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:36 - 26 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeh four, was pretty cut up about it the first time i failed ( got asked to come back ) the other three times i just enjoyed it, though they told me the record was nine times

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:45 - 27 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

atom wrote:
the record was nine times

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

I hope this person nevers goes near a bike, they wouldn't survive very long!

atom
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:55 - 27 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me the first two times were learning about clutch control, didn't even get out on the road, I don't have a car license, only just failed the third time, lane discipline on a roundabouts. Fourth time pretty much knew the drill. Even if it did take nine times hopefully that person would be safe when they passed. Thing is you used to just be able to take to the roads without any CBT!

Last edited by atom on 13:23 - 29 Apr 2004; edited 1 time in total

hush
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:14 - 27 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems when I did my CBT they were very relaxed about it also. By the sounds of it, the CBTs that other people here are taking are almost like a test. My one, we spent hours in the car park going through control routines, cornering, turning, stopping etc. Then the group was split into two (twist and go peds - geared bikes), then split again, so four groups went out. Don't know about the other three groups, but our one got wired up with radios, followed the instructor out onto the road, and followed him round for a while. I, unfortunately stalled on a set of lights, on a hill (thank goodness for the electric starter on the SR125 - wish the KH had one), but even so got certificated.

Just seems that you lot are having a much harder time getting your CBT...

True Blue
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:17 - 01 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I think I was the same as you Hush. I had about an hour going over things in the centre then out to the car park for about 2 hours of cone avoiding. then when I went out on the road ,i'm sure it was only for about an hour. We came back to the centre and the gates were locked ( the other group were still out ) So we stood about for half an hour then the instructor said " well i suppose we could go out for another spin then".

Confused Very unprofessional CBT I thought. By the sounds of it most others here had a stricter CBT.

Noggin
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 10:57 - 01 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine wasn't strict either, and I only did it the other week. I stalled twice on the road, and then got lost, but I still got the certificate!

I think riding my NSR has improved my skills though, I don't stall any more, so that must be good!

Craig G(Noggin)

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore

PostPosted: 06:05 - 05 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

AcIdBuRnZ wrote:
I'm speechless Silence

I failed three times.
Now i ride an NSR every day Thumbs Up Smile .

"I'm either going to teach andy to get his knee down, or I'm going to get him killed. One of the two" - Teaman
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 361 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2