Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Crash it for fun
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:54 - 30 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig_ wrote:
Right,

I'm glad this came up, I've got my Theory & Hazard test on the 6th of may, i just recently bought the FOCUS Media disc too, and think i am going to fail, do you think i should keep studying the disk or wait to the day, practicing theory is going well its just the hazard.

Any tips? Really only worry about this, as i feel i wont pass it at all, practical I'm not too bothered about.

I just passed my theory test on the third attempt and I maintain that the test serves no other purpose than to make the DSA more money.

Craig_ The best advice I can give you is the following:

1) Each clip has one fairly blatent hazard (two on one of the clips). The hazard tends to be something that looks out of place. Click once when you first see the odd looking thing then wait a second then click again and maybe click just once more a second after that.

2) The focus media hazard perception software is bollocks! It is not at all like the official clips. The one from the DSA will prepare you for the test much better. This might sound like I'm trying to get another sale for the DSA DVD........it isn't, You can have my copy free. If you want the DVD then let me know.

Fuck you DSA wankers Middle Finger Twisted Evil Middle Finger

Craig_
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:55 - 30 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't mind sending me it (i can pay pal over what ever you want) tell me as i figured the Focus one was naff after seeing the clips. The theory ones ok i suppose. I'll PM you my address.

True Blue
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:23 - 01 May 2004    Post subject: Re: Hazard Perception! Reply with quote

Crash it for fun wrote:
and about 40 out of 75 for the Hazard perception.

I must have just passed then I think I got 45 out of 75 Shocked

I totally agree it is a pointless exercise. All it means is that if you see a hazard in the road you'll be able to click a mouse button in jig time. Rolling Eyes

Panther
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:27 - 04 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crash it for fun wrote:
how did you make them check it out?

I've got about 5 years drving experience (car) and 1 years bike experience.

Are you supposed click when you see the hazard or when it actually causes you to react (brake/swerve/etc)?

a neighbour of mine is in the same boat as you...he is trying to pass his bike theory but failing on the hazard part, despite having driven for years and years, is an Army instructor and has a licence for everything else, inc Tanks....

His problem seems to be that he is too 'good' at perceiving the hazard. He has the experiance to spot the hazard and as a consequence clicks early. apparently (I haven't done the test for real, only watched the Video ), the knack is to click, count to 5 and click again. The window opens for a specific time and at a specific point so if you click early, then it doesn't count.

Wink

Mattastic
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:55 - 04 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been driving three years and riding two months. I bought the hazard perception cd the other day and got 68 first time, followed by 61 then 73.

Craig_
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 00:18 - 05 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which CD, DSA or Focus Media?

Which reminds me, crash did you manage to post it?

Crash it for fun
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 00:36 - 05 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig_ wrote:
Which CD, DSA or Focus Media?

Which reminds me, crash did you manage to post it?

I haven't been able to, unfortunately. I've been on my DAS all week and won't be in the office until Friday.

is that before your test?

Craig_
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:24 - 05 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bah that will be too late, dont worry about it Very Happy

Answer one Q, should i practice the focus media hazard or not, any tips. Im right in thinking you can click once.twice on hazards that dont actually progress? What to look for etc?

Squibbs
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:49 - 05 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I went in for my Hazard perception bit the bloke in the office said that a lot of bikers fail simply because they click too early - The chap suggested clicking when I first see it then clicking again quickly and then waiting a second or 2 and clicking a 3rd time - this gets round the pattern clicking detection as 2 quick clicks isnt a pattern, nor is a third at a different time interval

Worked nicely - having barely scraped by my car hazard perception my bike one a week later with this advice was a lot better

(and no I'm not 17)

Phil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dandit
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 00:22 - 06 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

well im glad i aint the only one i failed mine 3 bloody times then i worked it out i was clicking to early coz i was thinking im on a bike so it dont matter how far it is its a hazard just try to relax and dont rush i passed in the end but i do think its pi** take iits nothing like real life its a crappy computer

Ninja
Caption Abuser

PostPosted: 13:08 - 06 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTF? - what's it coming to when your ability to operate a vehicle depends upon you getting the timing 'right' (loosely applied as it doesn't seem to appreciate keenness) on your mouse-clicking ability sat at a desk?

Nij
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:44 - 06 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a car licence (10yrs) i also have H.G.V (7yrs) and i stuggled on that dam test, i used some CD that i got from my driving instructor and they made even more nervous. I kept failing but on the day i did manage to pass, the trick is to relax

Craig_
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:04 - 06 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, i guess i can always book another one online... FOR THE CAR!!! Passed the bike one, so getting the car one over and done with ASAP. Got bike practical on 3rd of June.

Inglesina94
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:16 - 07 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my HP back in October and passed first time.

The trick, suggested by my instructor, was to click about 5/6 times per video clip starting when you first see the hazard.

I noticed that I tended to click as soon as i saw the hazard and then progressively more and faster as the hazard was getting nearer, if it makes sense!!

Good luck to all of you trying!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Charley
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:21 - 09 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my theory in March this year...I have been driving for 10 years...on the hazard part of the test.....i just clicked as soon as I saw the hazard....and carried on clicking..up the allowed amount...7?....I got a really high score too....cant remember what it was now though.....just wish i found the riding part of the test easy too!! Crying or Very sad

Charley xx

ps...click even if you see the bird fly over the road Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 357 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2