Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Which push bike?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Nick__C
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:07 - 09 May 2012    Post subject: Which push bike? Reply with quote

Alright guys, my push bike is pretty knackered, looking to buy a new one, not quite sure what I should be looking for..
Happy to spend between £100-£200 and looking for a mountain bike either full or front suspension.. Going to be just used for cycling 10 mins to work/ up to the GF's / general messing around.

Had a look at Halfrauds earlier saw these two;

https://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_786137_categoryId_165499_langId_-1?cm_sp=Intelligent_Offer-_-Product_Details_Zone_1-_-Blank&iozone=PDPz1

https://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_762379_categoryId_165499_langId_-1?cm_sp=Intelligent_Offer-_-Product_Details_Zone_1-_-Blank&iozone=PDPz1

'half price' but no idea if they're worth the money, any one have any experience/recommendations?

*Alright a quick google says they're shite.. Laughing *

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:50 - 09 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

wouldn't waste my money on full suspension, just go hard tail.

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:53 - 09 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

it would also put me off that the weight isn't listed, others are so why not this, probably heavy

Nick__C
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:55 - 09 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I've done some reading and for my budget it sounds like front suspension will be the best bet Laughing

Decathlon's Rock Rider 5.2 looks decent?
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-52-id_8156187.html#ancre-detail

Don't like those pedals though Sick

Derivative
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:56 - 09 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're not actually cycling off road don't get a mountain bike, it's utterly pointless.

Fat wheels = more rolling resistance, suspension = more weight and pedaling effort lost.

A good hybrid or road bike is miles better. Like, noticeably miles per hour faster, more coasting, etc.

If you are going off road, ignore everything I just said.

Nick__C
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:01 - 09 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be cycling off road occasionally, just the main use will likely be to work and back.. Dad has a road bike and much prefer my albeit knackered hard tail mtb to his road bike tbh.

thomp1983
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 17:02 - 09 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive got a carrera vulcan, got it on the bay for £100 last year when it was a year old and had only been used a couple of times, i use it for similar things to you and it's been faultless there's a few tidy looking ones on ebay currently you'd just need to check if any are local to you

chris

Alpha-9
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:30 - 09 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish I had rear shock on my bike, front is good but don't like being fucked by my seat every time I go down a curb.

pushbikes piss me off after riding a motorbike, feel like a clown on a unicycle

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:28 - 09 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a push bike once................... then I put petrol in it, started the engine and rode it away.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:12 - 09 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rear suspension and fat tyres are awful for road use, they sap a lot of your energy. Don't kid yourself about the amount of offroading you're going to do on it.

Speaks the voice of experience, I've essentially inherited my wife's hybrid now - and even that's a bit fat-tyred and heavy for tarmac.

ninja_butler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:20 - 09 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derivative wrote:
If you're not actually cycling off road don't get a mountain bike, it's utterly pointless.

Fat wheels = more rolling resistance, suspension = more weight and pedaling effort lost.

A good hybrid or road bike is miles better. Like, noticeably miles per hour faster, more coasting, etc.

If you are going off road, ignore everything I just said.

I agree, MTB's are great but pointless for normal on-road riding. Halfords bikes aren't all that bad, I quite liked their "Real" classic style bikes, but the Apollo bikes are mostly very cheap and tacky.
[img]cdn.mos.bikeradar.com/images/news/2009/04/28/1240931104738-1ph3bbzfknn0y-280-75.jpg[/img]

Secondhand bikes are much cheaper than new ones but you've got to check them carefully for rust; people leave them out in the rain or in a humid shed and the rust sets in and then they clean the rust off and sell them, but a month later the blooms of rust will reappear.

Don't bother with a suspension bike unless you really want one. My suggestion would be something like a Ridgeback or Specialized hybrid (for some reason normal bikes are now called "hybrids"). Try to find one that has a proper HARD gloss coat of paint, the fashionable matt-finish paint jobs scrape and flake off if you so much as breathe on them.

Oh, and MAKE SURE the bike is the exact right size! The reachover to the handlebars is critical.

Nick__C
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:00 - 10 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the input Thumbs Up
I don't think I'm kidding myself as to the amount of off roading i'll be doing.. But I do want to do stuff that I don't think will be great on a road bike with no suspension.. And I'm awful for riding up and down kerbs etc..
It's nice whizzing along with ease but I'd prefer slower without every bump in the road jolting through me Laughing.

AndyB1989
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:28 - 10 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the off road you are going to be doing is mostly light off road on hard packed stuff and nothing particularly muddy then the 10 miles will feel much easier on a "hybrid" with a 29" wheel you will be noticeably faster on the road and there are suspended 29 inch wheel bikes out there.

if you are not just a fair weather off roader and intend on getting out there into some soft sticky mud and having a play about do not even think about a full suspension bike on your budget it will be shite!

As has already been mentioned the size of the bike is important gents tend to be shorter in the leg and longer in the body and the size of bike you need will vary quite a lot from manufacturer to manufacturer giant and scott tend to use what is reffered to as compact geometry so you will see them with more seatpost sticking out of the frame then the equivalent specialized or marin.

One of the best selling hybrid bikes out there at the moment is the giant roam series with a 29 inch wheel a crossover tyre and a front suspension fork they have pretty much halfway between road and mtb gearing aswell.

you will find most of the main players , giant , specialized , scott , marin , trek Start their entry level bikes around the £300 mark and this will get you basic front suspension v brakes and basic finishing kit i would be very careful with really cheap bikes as the wheels tend to be made of cheese, the brake callipers are also usually very thin and flex a worrying amount and they are based around ver old fashioned technology (open bearing headsets , cage bearing bottom brackets , oldschool forks , non replaceable rear dropouts etc)

What i would suggest you do is look around for something second hand from giant , specialized , scott , marin or even merida find one that fits you and budget for some parts of it to be replaced

something like this will be much better then a brand new £150 bike
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mens-Giant-Boulder-09-Mountain-Bike-Large-Frame-Hardly-Used-/230787724812?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item35bc05360c#ht_718wt_1270

if you have any questions or would like an opinion on any bikes you find dont hesitate to pm me im happy to help

AndyB1989
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:33 - 10 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh and if you absolutely must have new ... try and stretch to this it will be much better then a halfords job !
https://www.ashcycles.com/site/raleigh-freeride-at20-gents-mtb-2010-14-inch-and-23-inch-frame

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 00:57 - 10 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, don't buy an 'Apollo'. The better Halfords brands are actually quite good for what they are. Apollo is their basic cheap brand and isn't good.

I'd certainly go second hand.

If you're looking to do very occasional off road, look for a 'hybrid' bike, which is a road bike, but a bit tougher so they can handle the dirt stuff.

For £200 you might just get a second hand bike where the rear suspension is actually a benefit. New and you'll be getting a bike where the rear suspension just detracts from the bike.

If you're stuck on full suspension, something like this:
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320894811045

Front suspension mountain bike:
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280876721043

No suspension:
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140748946887

All those are Halfords bikes as sadly I know the brands (partly because they do offer good value.)

Looking to sort out a road-biased bike myself, but have got a tarty big bouncy bike too.

Nick__C
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:52 - 10 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate the advice guys but I think a hard tail mtb is what I'll be looking for, even for the short ride to work I much prefer mine to my dad's road bike and that's not even considering any rides in the nature reserve/ along the river trail..

I like that Raleigh actually, how would you say it compares to the Rockrider 5.2 from Decathlon for example?
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-52-id_8156187.html

I'll keep an eye out for decent second hand bikes, but I'd prefer new tbh, just for the warranty aspect and no risk of buying one that's got something wrong with it..

or the Diamondback Overdrive FD
https://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/diamondback-overdrive-fd-item173574.html

or Diamondback m-05
https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/diamondback-mo5-p181138

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:22 - 10 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpha-9 wrote:
Wish I had rear shock on my bike, front is good but don't like being fucked by my seat every time I go down a curb.

Drop off kerbs properly then.

Nick__C
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:26 - 10 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
Got to say dropping off kerbs with my hard tail it never felt like teh bum sex..*

* not that I know how teh bum sex feels..

Derivative
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:32 - 10 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you need to drop off kerbs anyway?
Do they not have roads round where you live?

Nick__C
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:45 - 10 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like using shortcuts/cut throughs, twitchels etc .. up and down kerbs, up and down steps kinda thing.. hence not wanting a road bike Laughing

AndyB1989
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:03 - 10 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondback overdrive looks like a well specced bike but cable operated disc brakes rarely work well it would be much better then the other diamondback because it has ez fire shifters not gripshift .. gripshift is cack

and i would not touch that rockrider with a barge pole it even looks wrong

Nick__C
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:11 - 10 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyB1989 wrote:

and i would not touch that rockrider with a barge pole it even looks wrong

Really? It's had quite a few decent reviews online..?

Marcg868
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:02 - 11 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy used with your Budget.

Carrera Fury, Carrera Kraken, Carrera Vulcan. These are quality budget bikes.

This for example was a £500 Mountain bike and is classed as the best Entry level (£450 to £550) mountain bike there is. I have rode one and its excellent.
So this at £212, id bite his bloody arm off.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mens-Carrera-Fury-Mountain-Bike-18-VGC-/110874206115?_trksid=p4340.m185&_trkparms=algo%3DDLSL%252BSIC.NPJS%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BUA%26otn%3D10%26pmod%3D280876721043%252B280876721043%26po%3D%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D8333751032146225800

Another one

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/carrera-vengeance-lilited-edition-18-inch-frame-hydraulic-disk-brakes-/140747113026?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item20c52e8242

Nick__C
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:45 - 11 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tbh I would prefer just to buy a new bike around £200.. I get the point about the quality of a better bike for the same price second hand, but I'd rather just get new and not have to worry about a) following up an various second hand ads b) going out to view and c) making sure I get hold of one that hasn't had anything untoward happen to it..

Simple
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:15 - 12 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

£200 would get you a good second hand Marin hard tail (for example the Northside Trail) they go on ebay for around £200.

If you get a mountain bike I recommend Schwalbe Black jack tyres as they have an almost constant centre tred to reduce rolling resistant, have a puncture proof case and are good off road in sand or claggy mud.

Avoid 'bike shaped objects' at all costs, these are your Apollos, Townsends etc.

Mountain bikes typically have quick release stuff on them, so thieves and hooligans like to pinch those bits.

whatever bike you get, get a good (kryptonite D lock or mini D) to keep hold of your new toy.

I have many 'push' bikes including a Giant Reign (big and bouncy) which cost £500 off ebay. A Marin Northside Trail which I bought new in 2007 for £600 and then upgraded the forks. a 1980s BSA 10 speed very mint and original racer, a hardcourt polo bike which started life as an SE Draft Lite (£180 new) single speed and i've just sold an SE Lager single speed for £120.

If you're willing to be flexible and buy something second hand you can buy and sell push bikes and turn over a few quid with your hobby.

It's also free insertion fees on eBay this weekend, that usually spurs a few people to give 'that bike that's sat in the shed' a whirl on ebay to see if it sells.

Hope that's of somehelp and now for obligatory piccies

the BSA
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/432309_10150635533543739_504393738_9111781_319447649_n.jpg

the Reign's juicy bits (mini R1 brakes...cuuute!)
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/427007_10150633228853739_504393738_9104501_1603020234_n.jpg

The Reign in action at Danbury
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/292362_10150287424523739_504393738_7658705_4008496_n.jpg

The Marin at the top of a very steep drovers hill in Derbyshire
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/162852_495364298738_504393738_5917594_4542825_n.jpg

My Polo Pony
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/63200_480894478738_504393738_5672718_1796337_n.jpg
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 323 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2