Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

to wear or not to wear?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

swifty_mcvay
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 02:42 - 27 Apr 2004    Post subject: to wear or not to wear? Reply with quote

I was just wondering what you lot think about wearing 'l' plates when say riding a 50 replica? thoughts please...

oh and by the way i was just wondering because if you dont then you could be mistaken for a older rider/ bigger bike and i hear that police dont tend to pick on bigger bikes as much as ''scooters''. and really they aren't the most attractive things in the world..specially when your a teen!

rs fiddie 02'tetsuya rep, Mk sp 75cc alloy kit, 21mm dellorto carb, pod air filter, Mk Clutch, Jolly Moto 80cc pipe

Mattastic
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:23 - 27 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to display "L" plates at all times until you have a full licence. You can get £60 fine and 3 points per missing plate so be careful.

hush
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 09:41 - 27 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riding without L plates is a privalidge that has to be earned. Sorry, but anyone riding without the plates and without the license, I would prefer to see them pulled over then allowed to carry on. Evil or Very Mad

Uh Oh, can hear the chants of the lynch mob coming after me now... Confused

Mattastic
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:00 - 27 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

My rear one came off last weekend and I never got round to sorting it out. A copper pulled me on Saturday and told me off! I explained that it was there before I set off and that I had the front one in tact and he let me off and told me to go get some more. He could easily have been a knob and hammered me.

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 10:01 - 27 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you haven't passed your test - ride with L-plates. If you are caught not displaying L-plates, you can get a total of a £120 fine and 6 points.

6 points is something you really do not want at your age - it'll screw up your insurance for a long time.

I don't think that the police 'pick' on scooters more than bigger bikes. Even if they did, what's the problem? If you have nothing to hide it shouldn't be an issue for you.

v0dka
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:23 - 11 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

here police check bigger bikes (replica's more often for de-restricting etc..) cops aren't dumb
SDR This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Mac
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 23:18 - 12 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the other lads said, it's law you display full L-Plates both front and rear, also, no cutting them to make them curvey and putting them on the front mudguard [which is what my friend did, arse.]

They do look fugly i must admit, but it will be such a relief ripping them off and chucking them in the bin. Thumbs Up

Keith
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:44 - 13 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

i didn't think its possible to get fine and points if caught riding without :S
i took them off about a month ago to clean it up ready to sell but then had to keep the 50cc and haven't replaced them..
i think i'll be putting them back on this weekend Razz

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 02:19 - 13 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDR wrote:
It will not only screw it up, it will mean your liscence is revoked, as on a provisional you only get 6 pnts allowance!

No, you can have 12 points as a learner. Ironically the 6 points limit only applies when you pass your test.

All the best

Keith

BikerBen
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:35 - 13 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

v0dka wrote:
cops aren't dumb

Indeed they aren't but if you call them 'cops' in front of them then you will be in trouble! My mate did it and the officer was NOT happy at all lol Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Keith
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:39 - 13 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

So let me get this straight,
I always assumed that you can only have a maximum of 6 points on a provisional Confused - Obviously not Razz
But you can still get points for not showing L's?
Thats just wrong, but i think i'll get mine back on just incase,
need to get a new sticky one for the front Razz

hush
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:21 - 15 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get points without a license... I know a guy who got banned on points before he even got his provisional Rolling Eyes

mrchips
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:15 - 15 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there's no point taking L Plates off a 50. It's unlikely anyone with thier test will actually ride a 50.

I am seriously considering not riding with my L plates on the 125. If I keep my standard number plate, drive exactly at the speed limits and be a generally safe rider they may turn a blind eye. The way I see it if I'm caught doing 60 with L plates (restricted to 45 in NI) then I will really be in for it and there's no point drawing anymore attention to me than nessisary.

When I was pulled in on my 50 for a general check I didn't have a front L Plate (never had one) and they didn't say anything about it.

Jack2004
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 03:07 - 21 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The police aren't impressed if you call them "pigs". My friend did that, don't think he will be doing it again though.

Scouse
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:34 - 21 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

An uncle of mine is an officer of the luuuuuur and I've asked him what the crack on this sort of thing is before. He basically said that if he see's anything that's a 125cc or lower without L plates, that he is immediately suspicious of it. Apparently this is the opinion of most police officers so I wouldn't advise riding without them. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Chris.
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 02:24 - 27 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took my plates off to clean the bike but never bothered to put them back on again, so took our kid out a few times for a ride. saw plenty of police but never got pulled. Since put the back one on tho...

Mattastic
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:44 - 28 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

My back plate fell off my back and I didn't bother putting it back on. Then on Wednesday the Fuzz stopped me and asked me to have a look at where my L plate used to be! He believed that it had fallen off on my way and instructed me to get another right away otherwise if he caught me again he'd have to do me! I was lucky he could have been a twat and given me points and a fine but he was pretty cool, maybe a biker himself.

Not wearing plates is a privilidge you have to earn I'm afraid.

syris
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 00:42 - 29 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

My back L plate was ripped off today at my crash ( Embarassed ) and the police stopped me down the road, they were dead on about it as they could see I was only going slow and my bike was a mess, after I told them what happened.

L plates are annoying, but you may as well have them on incase you have an accident or something because i'm sure it could affect your insurance or make it invalid maybe? Maybe not?

Mattastic
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 01:40 - 29 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syris - hope you're ok. Email one of the mods (green ones or the orange one!) and you'll get a certificate as it looks as if the BCF curse has paid you a visit!

bikedudextrm
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 02:12 - 29 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The police ain't stupid, they will be able to tell by the way you ride that you haven't passed your test (they did me ages ago as i wasn't doing life savers). Also no 50 looks bigger than a 125. Some 125's you may be able to get away with it but on a 50 no way, the exhaust and tires give them away not to talk about the sound of the little 50 race reps.

Basically it's not worth the risk and if you crash and have no L-plates on i've heard you are buggered as no L-plates mean you are driving with out accordance of a licence which is as good as not having a licence and if your insurance company finds out they won't have to pay out anything if some one makes a claim which could burn a large hole straight through your wallet/purse Wink .

https://www.bikepics.com/members/bikedudextrm/

syris
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 14:33 - 29 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol i'm alright, just clipped my foot and broke my ankle. More worried about my bike at the moment though, I bent the left fork tubing and lost the front fender and other small bits like the front brake lever and bar end/balancer and the bars. 85 quid for just the fender!?

badlydamaged
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:04 - 29 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unlucky syris, my front mudguard also got ripped off in my crash, and an official replacement costs £90 Shocked . I spoke to my local bike shop and a generic chrome (so looks as good as origenal) was available for £30!, I was well chuffed! The only thing is you need to drill the mounting holes yourself for your bike, but this isn't much of a problem.
Hope your back on the road soon, and your bike doesn't cost too much to put right again.
Cheers

syris
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 17:55 - 29 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers man, aye I seen a sort of aftermarket chrome fender in the latest busters accessories for £20 but it wasn't the right width between the fork legs for mine. The fork tube is going to be the most expensive part though I think over 100 quid and thats hoping nothing internally is damaged. So fingers crossed, I get paid next week anyway so I should be alright.

How did you have your accident? Was there any other damage?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 330 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1