Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Battery charging - fizzing noises

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:54 - 17 May 2012    Post subject: Battery charging - fizzing noises Reply with quote

I was just charging up a car battery for a neighbour (a maintenance free, 70Ah battery) - I stuck it on charge using a charger I bought from Lidl, identical to the one that this robbing twat is selling for twice what he would have paid for it:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ultimate-Speed-Smart-Car-Battery-Charger-/270975759656?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3f1769f528#ht_499wt_1416

In car battery mode, unless it is really flat then it uses 14.4v and 3.8A to charge and it does so until the battery is full at which point it goes into maintenance mode.

ANYWAY, I had the battery on charge for a few hours (about 6/7) and went and had a look to see why it was taking so long, there is a faint fizzing noise coming from the battery. I have heard of batteries producing gases when charging but I thought that was more a thing to do with old style unsealed batteries. This is a sealed battery, surely if it is producing gas then it wont vent and the thing will blow up.

Is it normal for sealed batteries to fizz during charging, I haven't noticed it on other batteries and it isn't especially loud. If you put your ear close to it you can hear a definite fizz. I have now unplugged it.

So - is it normal and I can safely resume charging or should I tell the neighbour that the fizzing is probably me overcharging the few remaining functioning cells and that she needs to buy a new battery as this is both dead and about to explode.

Cheers Karma Thumbs Up

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:12 - 17 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought it was normal for them to fizz while charging, sealed or not
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:19 - 17 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly, I thought maybe the chemistry was slightly different so that the electrolyte doesn't bubble away and need topping up (i.e. they minimise/eliminate fizzing).

I cannot find the vent on this battery and I haven't heard any of the other batteries I have charged fizzing.

Taught2BCauti...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:13 - 17 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing to worry about - all lead-acid batteries give off hydrogen gas and water vapour as they charge, even when they are in service and being charged by the alternator.

There will be no significant build-up of pressure, because the gas comes from the electrolyte, and the level will drop accordingly and rise again as the gasses condense.

Sealed batteries have just the right amount of electrolyte, with just the right amount of air so as not to cause problems with pressure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

haroman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:20 - 17 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I heard fizzing from a battery, i'd fried it.

But I was being a daft prick and I put a car charger on a bike battery... Whistle

But outside of my little bubble of stupidity, when you charge a battery, it's relatively normal to hear gas/fizzing.

But it still might be worth checking it with a multi-meter Thumbs Up

coggie
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:40 - 17 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

andym wrote:
I always thought it was normal for them to fizz while charging, sealed or not

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:12 - 17 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

When a car or bike battery charges the electrolyte causes the internal plates to give off a gas.This is what you can hear.

Once the battery is fully charged,the internal resistance increases and the battery charge rate should decrease,so decreasing the current flow.

But if one or more internal plates are damaged,they will continue to cause current to flow at a higher rate.

Always have a 'Plan B'
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 348 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1