Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bike standing for 2 years. Any tips before I start it?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

TamaJosh
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:35 - 03 Jun 2012    Post subject: Bike standing for 2 years. Any tips before I start it? Reply with quote

I'm buying a ninja 250r '09 and picking it up on tuesday. The bike has been standing for around 2 years due to lack of use but has been kept in a garage. I've been to see it and there's no rust etc and it looks mint! It only has 200 miles on the clock (yes 200 not 2000) so hasn't even been broken in yet. It's been left with a bit of fuel and I assume all the oil and fluid it had when it was bought. The battery is flat but the seller is charging it for me before I get it so the bike will start.

I know there can be problems when a bike has been sitting this long. Going to bring some fuel and siphon the fuel in the tank out (probably distilled in the tank after so long) to give it something decent to drink but what else should I look out for? Anything I should look out for on it?

The bike is water cooled and injected by the way.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:38 - 03 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 years in a garage is nothing. Check the oil level, fit a new battery and start it up.

You'll be needing a new battery so you might as well get one right away.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ronin
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:43 - 03 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would remove the spark plugs and clean them.Also while they are out crank the engine over until the oil light goes out just give the engine a coat of oil before it starts.and that is it .Once you have got it running give it a service and you should be good to go. Very Happy

mattsprattuk
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:17 - 03 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
2 years in a garage is nothing. Check the oil level, fit a new battery and start it up.

You'll be needing a new battery so you might as well get one right away.

As above. There's no need to do anything else.
Blue_SV650S wrote: it was a sh1te wheelie, but it proves that he can get it up in 3rd and can do angles. In summery, mattsprattuk is a gobby little sh1tebag, dopehead tw4t, but sadly for all of us, he probably isn't THAT full of sh1te!! Mr. Green
Kickstart wrote: Hi I tend to agree with Matt. All the best Keith

TamaJosh
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:08 - 04 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips!

I'm picking it up tomorrow so realistically won't have a battery for then. The guy I'm buying it from is charging it but I'm not holding out for that working as it's gonna be sat there a while. My brother has a yammy xt125, do you think it's battery would work (if it physically fits)? Ninja and XT batteries are both 12v, the xt has lower capacity though. The cold start performance (output) of the xt battery is 110EN (amps?) whereas the ninja battery is 120EN. In theory, the xt battery can't harm the ninja (or blow a fuse) as its output is less but just wanted your opinions on that.

Failing that of course, I could try bump start it. Don't know if this will work with a dead battery but surely the engine could keep itself going once it's started regardless of battery charge.
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

TamaJosh
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:26 - 04 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vincent wrote:
I don't always believe what the previous owner says, if they say 2 years, it's probably five. I'd want to change the oil and just crank it over by hand a few times, maybe a few drops of oil down the bores too. Keep revs low until it's warmed up.

Ah cheers! It's not even broken in yet (200 miles on the clock) so the revs have got to be low haha!

Won't be sampling the 14000 redline on the way back anyway Twisted Evil

mattsprattuk
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:30 - 04 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vincent wrote:
I don't always believe what the previous owner says, if they say 2 years, it's probably five. I'd want to change the oil and just crank it over by hand a few times, maybe a few drops of oil down the bores too. Keep revs low until it's warmed up.

It's 3 years old...
Blue_SV650S wrote: it was a sh1te wheelie, but it proves that he can get it up in 3rd and can do angles. In summery, mattsprattuk is a gobby little sh1tebag, dopehead tw4t, but sadly for all of us, he probably isn't THAT full of sh1te!! Mr. Green
Kickstart wrote: Hi I tend to agree with Matt. All the best Keith
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

TamaJosh
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:48 - 04 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vincent wrote:
Blimey, this bike has a bit of an identity crises - ZZR250, ZX250, GPX250, EX250, GPZ250 Ninja 250R, any more? Confused Smile

Haha yeah. It's been a minefield trying to look at the older models. Luckily I settled for the newer one which offers the choice between ex250 and ninja 250r. The old one has like 10 names! zx2r, zxr250, zx250r etc...

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:56 - 04 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

My divvy had been sitting 5 1/2 years, I done nothing to it (well other than attached a set of jump leads), and after about half an hour of tinkering it was running perfectly.

Same with my intruder 125 which had been sat outside for 2 1/2 years, it didn't want to start. Eventually me and a friend turned the idle screw up to maximum and on the second attempt at bump starting it the engine roared into life.

Only after they were started and running did I ever think of changing the fluids and putting new petrol in, and I've never had a problem
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TamaJosh
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:13 - 04 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vincent wrote:
Where did you find that then? If you don't mind me asking?

Find what? If you're talking about the ninja there's loads. All called ninja 250r by most people. Mine was a lucky find, found it on ebay with no photo, had a description and the guy hadn't taken pics to put up yet. Contacted him and had a look that day! The bike is in perfect condition too. There's loads of them for around £2500 (which is what I paid) with maybe 10000 miles and good condition.

TamaJosh
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 00:09 - 05 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, picking it up tomorrow. I'll report back with how it is and post some pics on this thread so others can get an idea of what to expect if a bike has been standing. canne wait!

Microcut
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 10:34 - 05 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

So would you say, if fresh oil was put into a bike about 3 yrs ago and never if ever used in that time, you wouldn't necessarily need to change the oil if using the bike now?

.what happens to oil over a long period of time when sat?

It's all interesting to me atm Smile

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 11:16 - 05 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

As said, just start it. You should change the oil and give it a check over after riding it home, and it will probably need a new battery, but don't go crazy trying to fix problems that might not exist.

The oil should be changed simply because it has been in there a long time, but it should have another oil change at the end of the break-in period anyway (500 or 1000 miles). The battery may be ok if you get lucky - leave it on an optimate or similar overnight, might save it.

Don't worry about stuff like cranking it with the plugs out to get the oil circulating, the oil takes about two seconds to get around the engine and it will be sitting on tickover anyway, so no problems there.

Check the tyre pressures before riding, make sure the lights work, and pump the suspension a few times.

Two years in a garage is nothing, and any problems that have accumulated will mostly be fixed by riding it.

TamaJosh
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:57 - 05 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right guys, back now!
The XT battery worked ok, it had to try a little to start the bike ( like 5 seconds if turning before a start) probably down to having 10A less than than the bike demands and the bike starting for the first time after a while. Fits in ok if you reposition the ECU. No warning lights or anything, didn't actually check sparks or crank the engine because the fairings would have been a pig to remove. The bike rides perfectly, doesn't break a sweat even below the powerband (which I'm avoiding until its broken in more) and barely heats up.

Very pleased with it, did around 70 miles on the way home and each one was enjoyable. The battery is on an optimate and already says its getting better. Would reccomend this bike to anyone, to Hell with next year's restriction changes, this thing is fun!

A few pics on here as requested, on my mobile so I couldn't copy the embed codes easily.

https://s1162.photobucket.com/albums/q524/JoshHF/
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 326 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1