Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Looking after front calipers

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Glenben92
Nearly there...



Joined: 01 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:08 - 16 Jun 2012    Post subject: Looking after front calipers Reply with quote

Is there anything I can do to stop the front brakes from jamming up so quickly in winter / wet weather. Whenever I come in, whether I hose the bike down or not and whether I wipe the discs down or not, the next morning there's always a small film of rust over the disc and over time the pistons and sliders need pulling apart, cleaning and greasing before reassembly. I understand that it's a common problem but what can I do about it?
____________________
57 Huoniao HN125-8 - Smile, 97 Kawasaki GPZ500S - Very Happy
99 Yamaha FZS 600 - Wink
Mod 2 Passed - 01/10/2010
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

shippy
Nova Slayer



Joined: 10 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:00 - 16 Jun 2012    Post subject: Re: Looking after front calipers Reply with quote

Glenben92 wrote:
I understand that it's a common problem but what can I do about it?


I wouldn't say this is common
____________________
Riding faster than everyone else only guarantees you'll ride alone.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mysterious_rider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:15 - 16 Jun 2012    Post subject: Re: Looking after front calipers Reply with quote

Glenben92 wrote:
Is there anything I can do to stop the front brakes from jamming up so quickly in winter / wet weather. Whenever I come in, whether I hose the bike down or not and whether I wipe the discs down or not, the next morning there's always a small film of rust over the disc and over time the pistons and sliders need pulling apart, cleaning and greasing before reassembly. I understand that it's a common problem but what can I do about it?



Definitely not a common problem to have??

Discs rusting, sure, you just ride the bike and it will go. But the brakes sound dodgy. That is NOT common! Why do you pull them apart? Do you ocd or are they stuck or what?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man



Joined: 16 May 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:00 - 16 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discs rusting over is normal and nothing to worry about.

Calipers binding is likely to be down to corrosion behind the seal - I assume you've been stripping and cleaning them, maybe popping out the pistons and cleaning them. You also need to (once every 10 years) remove the seal in the caliper and scrape out the corrosion behind it. You should replace the seal afterwards, but I normally don't. Be careful removing it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

janner_10
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Sep 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:16 - 16 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have just got the bike and have this problem, I would be inclined to arm yourself with a new set of seals and give the calipers a bit of a rebuild and fit the new seals.

This should also give you chance to have a peak at the pistons thoroughly and the space behind.

I did it after winter, and whilst its a good mornings work, its nice to know all is well down there! Very Happy

I paid about £25 for the seals and various bits.
____________________
Yamaha FZS600 (Now gone to heaven) > CBR600F4i (SOLD) > '99 YZF-R1
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

numpty2
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 08 Dec 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:29 - 16 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes this seems to happen to all my bikes eventually. It is a consequence of bike age & riding through multiple British winters.

Pick a nice day and spend it stripping the whole calliper right down.
If the bike is a keeper, I'd simply replace everything - pistons, seals, pins etc. This should then see you right for the next few years.

People seem to then use a variety of greases on rebuild, which should help to minimise subsequent sticking. I'm sure others will be able to recommend appropriate stuff.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:39 - 16 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Disk rust isn't unusual but depends on the material the disks are made from. Cast iron is a good material for brake disks but rusts like crazy hence is virtually never used on Japanese bikes. Sometimes used for aftermarket disks though. Other materials rust to a lessor extent.

However, where are the calipers sticking? If the brake is binding on hard, and then frees suddenly then it could be the disk and the pads binding together. Reasonably common with cast iron disks (the Bimota is a pig for it).

If the calipers themselves are sticking (rather than the pads sticking to the disk) then as above, whip the caliper off, pump the pistons out, take the seals out and clean behind the seals. The reasemble and bleed. Depends on the bike how often this needs doing (Charlottes Triumph needs this doing very regularly while the Bimota is over 20 years old and I don't think it has ever been done).

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Glenben92
Nearly there...



Joined: 01 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:34 - 16 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

well the surface rust on the disc was the main thing, i used to get it on the GPZ all the time. The GPZ was the one with the seizing problem but that's because the caliper is pretty much shot. It was just walking out thismorning to see surface rust on the disc of the fazer that made me think is there anything i can do to preserve a good disc and calipers. fazers brakes havent stuck or anything, i'm not expecting it because there aren't massive holes in the rubbers this time lol. a few reviews mention fazer calipers in winter though.
____________________
57 Huoniao HN125-8 - Smile, 97 Kawasaki GPZ500S - Very Happy
99 Yamaha FZS 600 - Wink
Mod 2 Passed - 01/10/2010
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

janner_10
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Sep 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:27 - 16 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the back suffers more than the front due to its position - but both sets are very easy to dismantle and rebuild. I just give mine a bit of a spray and a clean with a toothbrush monthly since the rebuild.

Other than that, awesome brakes.

I don't have rusty discs though ever, but they are the yam genuine ones, whether that makes a difference or no.
____________________
Yamaha FZS600 (Now gone to heaven) > CBR600F4i (SOLD) > '99 YZF-R1
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Glenben92
Nearly there...



Joined: 01 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:56 - 17 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

janner_10 wrote:
I find the back suffers more than the front due to its position - but both sets are very easy to dismantle and rebuild. I just give mine a bit of a spray and a clean with a toothbrush monthly since the rebuild.

Other than that, awesome brakes.

I don't have rusty discs though ever, but they are the yam genuine ones, whether that makes a difference or no.


It might well be due to the fact that I live right on the coast. Especially after I've hosed it down when there'll be water sitting on them. It's usually worse where the disc has sat under the caliper. i.e. where water has sat.
____________________
57 Huoniao HN125-8 - Smile, 97 Kawasaki GPZ500S - Very Happy
99 Yamaha FZS 600 - Wink
Mod 2 Passed - 01/10/2010
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

neil.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 05:15 - 18 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Preventative maintenance is a good idea with these. I give mine a going over at every service interval (2'500 miles). By that, I mean;

Arrow Take the calliper off the disc.

Arrow Carefully pump out the pistons about halfway, making sure the fluid level doesn't drop too low in the master cylinder.

Arrow Attack the lot with brake cleaner and a toothbrush until it's clean.

Arrow Do the same with the sliders and pad pin.

Arrow Grease the sliders and pistons with red rubber grease (don't use much on the pistons, you only want a thin smearing). Give the pad pin a smearing of copper grease, especially on the threads.

Arrow Roughen up the pads with some wet and dry paper and give them a going over with brake cleaner.

Arrow Smear copper grease on the backs of the pads - not the braking surfaces!.

Arrow Put it all back together.

After riding all year round and accumulating 15'000 miles on the current bike, the front wheel still turns freely after applying the brake and the pistons can still be pushed back in by thumb pressure alone. Thumbs Up
____________________
CBT February 2008 | A2 June 2008 | Yamaha YBR125 (written off) | Honda CBF125 (current)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Aug 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:13 - 18 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend got caught in the rain a while back and when the bike was next ridden the pads were stuck to the discs.I put this down to the high metallic content of the pads.Once the brakes had been applied after riding off the braking area of the disc was clean again and the wheel rotated freely.
____________________
Just talk bikes.What else is there?

Always have a 'Plan B'
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 106 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 0.61 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 78.6 Kb