BCF: Bike Chat Forums

drz400 mods

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

discusdan
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 18:43 - 10 Jun 2012    Post subject: drz400 mods Reply with quote

hi what mods have you done to yours also what accessories have you put on it to make it look even better?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:22 - 10 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine looked like this before I sold it:

https://i.imgur.com/68zTf.jpg

Some times like this:

https://i.imgur.com/3NBzb.jpg

and even this:

https://i.imgur.com/lnwQH.jpg

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Braided lines
Acerbis front mud guard
Zeta hand guards
Arrow end can
R&G tail tidy + smaller plate
Under bar mirrors

I never did any performance mods though as it was just a bike to get me through my 33bhp restriction. I did look into a few times though and decided it was too much trouble (I've never touched a carb in my life) and sold it and upgraded to a KTM 690.

Braided lines are recommended as the stock brakes are not too great, easy performance stuff is solenoid removale and a full exhaust system. Those require rejetting though, and if you're going to rejet then you'll find that an FCR 39 is much better than the stock carb, then after that it'll spiral out of control and you'll have a big bore kit and hot cams before you know it Laughing

There's loads and loads of mods you can do, I highly recommend this forum:

https://www.drz400uk.org/

There's much better looking DRZ's on there, mine was fairly standard looking.

discusdan
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:35 - 10 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi thanks ive been looking for a full white plastics kit for mine but cant find a site that sells them anywhere but ive seen pics of bikes with them. are the braided lines easy to fit or is it a bike shop job? as ive never really done any mods to any bike as its my first bike above a 125
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:41 - 10 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you know someone who can bleed brakes it's not that big a job really.

I think the plastics will be hard to come by unless someone is breaking a bike Thinking Even then they can be a bit pricey.

discusdan
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:47 - 10 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks what is the power like on one of these compared with a 125 4 stroke supermoto

discusdan
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:51 - 10 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

what does the solenoid do and how do you remove it and what does removing it do?

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:51 - 10 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure entirely as I went from a 2-stroke 125 to the DRZ, but it hurt my arms after the first ride Thumbs Up Should top out at about 100mph, but it crawls there after about 80. Revs a bit too high at on dual carriage ways but great in the twisties, feels like a pedal bike. 60MPG is nice too Thumbs Up

The solenoid limits RPMs in the first 3 gears. Some say it's to stop wheelying, but most likely it's an emissions thing. Not entirely sure how it comes off, but it's on that forum I mentioned earlier. I can't remember if it's the solenoid you have to rejet after, or the PAIR (another bit of emissions rubbish) removal. I never did either.

Last edited by Irn-Bru on 19:55 - 10 Jun 2012; edited 1 time in total

discusdan
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:55 - 10 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks mate. whats the 3x3 mod?

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:56 - 10 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

9cm hole in the air box, definitely requires a rejet or the bike will run lean.

discusdan
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:57 - 10 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers would a bike garage know how to do it ?

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:58 - 10 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno, I would look for a proper off roading place, they will be better for that stuff. It might be expensive though, can take a few hours from what I read.

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 20:00 - 10 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't bother, buy a faster and lighter bike if that's what you're after.

I once had a Honda XR400, which was a good bike and ideals for me at the time. I actually bought a load of upgrades for it, which I then sold on without fitting and bought a faster, lighter bike instead.

Trying to make a slow bike faster is harder, more expensive with worse results than buying a better bike to start with.

discusdan
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 20:06 - 10 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks the drz400 is simply a nice bike for work and back that id like to make look a bit better with new exhaust and other accessories but if i can make it a little more powerful easily id like to try it

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:15 - 10 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just get a nice second hand end can (Arrow, Remus, Yoshi RS2 etc.) and maybe tart it up a bit and just ride it! Thumbs Up I agree with Joe, that's why I've got my KTM. I could have got an FCR 39, big bore kit, hot cams etc. but it'd cost a nice chunk of money and I'd probably spend hours and hours getting it set up right. Plus once you start doing stuff like that the gearbox tends to explode, which is expected, it's made to cope with 35bhp not 55.

discusdan
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 20:19 - 10 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks have you any links to some good sites that sell parts to tart it up?

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:26 - 10 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebay and forums are the best places. That's all I used anyway. Some times on the forum I mentioned earlier people would be breaking a bike and sell you parts quite cheap Thumbs Up

jamesrs250
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 11:47 - 12 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

thumper talk is probly the best form for the drz

i sold my drz and bought a ktm 200 dident like the weight of it for offroading..was a good bike on the road and good on fuel

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/17-dr-z-400/

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:37 - 12 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found these sites quite useful

https://www.4strokes.com/tech/suzuki/

https://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/suzuki/

Always have a 'Plan B'

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:55 - 18 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine looked like this when I got it, it's an original 2000 E :-

https://i645.photobucket.com/albums/uu172/Troodos-Pool-Guy/RZR%20250/P1010144.jpg

Had most of the standard mods when I got it plus aftermarket triple clamps.

Now looks like this:-

https://i645.photobucket.com/albums/uu172/Troodos-Pool-Guy/RZR%20250/P1010215.jpg

https://i645.photobucket.com/albums/uu172/Troodos-Pool-Guy/RZR%20250/P1010214.jpg

https://i645.photobucket.com/albums/uu172/Troodos-Pool-Guy/RZR%20250/P1010217.jpg

https://i645.photobucket.com/albums/uu172/Troodos-Pool-Guy/RZR%20250/P1010216.jpg

I've added FMF power bomb exhaust system, Honda XR rear master cylinder, new grips, new plastics, new graphics, RMZ front mudguard, new grips, case savers, new timing cover, new HT lead, one tooth less on the front sprocket, recovered the seat and loads of rear tyres. Laughing
Since the photos were taken I've removed the headlights and will be replacing them with a number board, rear Reg. plate has gone as well, only gets used off road! Cool
One of the fork seals has gone so that's the next job! Sad

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:04 - 18 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

White plastics here:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UFO-SUZUKI-DRZ400E-00-CURRENT-SIDE-PANELS-3979-/280401373734?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item4149396a26

White front mudguards here:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UFO-RM125-250-89-00-DRZ400E-00-CURRENT-F-FENDER-2904-/280400961359?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item4149331f4f

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-WHITE-FRONT-MUDGUARD-MOTOCROSS-ENDURO-DR-DRZ-RM-RMZ-/230653958527?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item35b40c197f

The RMz front mudguard will fit if you shim the the rear bolts with a few washers.

UKRedwing
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:15 - 19 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought those white UFO plastics sunday night from that seller for my DRZ400s (which is converted to SM) and they are absolutely shite, sending them back,
Tried to fit the airbox cover one and it will not fit on the lip around the airbox atall, even if you manage to force it on there and get the dzus fasteners on it does not line up nicely with the new rear left plastic either.

Standard airbox cover goes on in 3 seconds easy as hell..

Anyone know if the Acerbis ones are any good?

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:29 - 20 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an Acerbis front fender on my old DRZ which I loved, can't comment on anything else, but I prefer Acerbis' designs to UFO for sure. I know the front and rear fenders are made slightly different to the stock ones, I could never find a rear Acerbis fender in back tho.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:35 - 20 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

UKRedwing wrote:
I bought those white UFO plastics sunday night from that seller for my DRZ400s (which is converted to SM) and they are absolutely shite, sending them back,
Tried to fit the airbox cover one and it will not fit on the lip around the airbox atall, even if you manage to force it on there and get the dzus fasteners on it does not line up nicely with the new rear left plastic either.

Standard airbox cover goes on in 3 seconds easy as hell..

Anyone know if the Acerbis ones are any good?

Is it that it just isn't aligned or the right shape?
When I fitted mine I reckoned the Dzus fastners weren't tight enough, so I shimmed each one with a washer, seemed fine after that.

UKRedwing
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:24 - 20 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:

Is it that it just isn't aligned or the right shape?
When I fitted mine I reckoned the Dzus fastners weren't tight enough, so I shimmed each one with a washer, seemed fine after that.

Yeah its like the lip on the inside of the cover that seals around the arbox hole is just out of shape. Not massively but enough that it wont go on properly so the cover sits right and I can get the dzus bolts on

Seller has just asked me to return them so I guess I'll just try another brand

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:13 - 21 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced the mudguards on my KTM with black Polisport items and they fitted first time without any modifying

Always have a 'Plan B'
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 283 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2