Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Tyre fitting and sizes

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 14:56 - 06 May 2004    Post subject: Tyre fitting and sizes Reply with quote

I'm going to be getting some new tyres soon and have a couple of questions.

First - how much should I expect to pay for fitting?

Second - will it make much (if any appreciable to me) difference to the bike if I don't use the standard depth front tyre? Standard is a 120/65, will it matter if I go for a 120/70 instead? They seem to be cheaper and easier to get hold of than the 65.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:05 - 06 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should expect to pay aound £15-20 per wheel if you take the bike in, or £7.50-£12 per wheel to loose wheels.

The size of the tyre will make a difference to the handling of your bike. The 120/65 has a lower sidewall than the 120/70, and AFAIK the 120/70 is the standard fitment for the ZX6R. There is a possibility that Ste had those tyres fitted from an R6, because 120/65 is the standard R6 fitment. apparently it makes the front end twitchy and feel like its going to tuck under (on the R6 anyway).

If I am wrong and the 120/65 is a standard fitment on the ZX6R, then fitting a 120/70 will probably foul the front mudguard and potentially ruin it with dangerous consequences.

The best thing to do is to get someone else to look up the standard tyre sizes for your bike and fit those Col.

I would do it, but I'm about 40 miles away from G's ZX6R Haynes manual!! Laughing

HTH Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 15:13 - 06 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mark. It is a 65 as standard, TBH I don't know what the current tyre is, I've never bothered looking.

I'd not thought about it fouling the mudguard tho, I'll have to investigate.

menzic
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:32 - 06 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had some Diablos fitted to my ZX6R G2. Went with the fitment recommendations from their website, seem better to take advice from the people that make them rather than anyone else. Very happy with them so far.

For the pair fitted to the bike it cost £230. Haven't got the kit to take the wheels off and the shop is local. Paid over the odds but worth it for the trust and simplicity.

menzic
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:34 - 06 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW here is the site:

https://www.pirellidiablo.com/en_96/diablo/mainDiablo.jhtml

Most of the tyre makers have similar info.

Zx6man
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:58 - 06 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have dunlop 208's on my zx6r J1 and yeah, the 65 is the standard fitment for front. I paid 180 for the pair fitted. Got them from local kwak shop. Look on www.mcnninjas.co.uk for definite ninja info. they a lot plumb forthe bridgestones and plenty use a 70 front too, but worth a look

Stevie Northants
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 17:03 - 06 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got 208's fitted on my gixer,good tyres ok in the wet too.
Got them fitted by a mobile tyre fitter,he came to my work.He has all the kit and was really cheap,because he has no overheads(unit rent etc.).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jimmy
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 17:04 - 06 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I got new tyres on my ZX6R it was about £185 for new 208s and fitting at Motograifx in Doncaster.

My front is also a 65.

menzic
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:12 - 06 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just about all the ZX6R have different standard sizes, I know they are different between the F, G and J... not sure about the As and Bs. Best to check up.

If you are down south, lots of mobile fitting companies. If you live in Northamptonshire none that I know of.

kev
I Hump Things

PostPosted: 19:31 - 06 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I keep saying but go for 207rr`s, they are very grippy and only about £140 a pair at the moment.
20:02:36 Jammy-R6: any holes a goal
20:02:48 kev: even if its a hairy mans arse
20:02:56 Jammy-R6: hell yes

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 23:42 - 06 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

kev wrote:
I know I keep saying but go for 207rr`s, they are very grippy and only about £140 a pair at the moment.

Am doing. Thumbs Up

bikedudextrm
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:56 - 06 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had to get some tires for my 125 for when i come to sell it. I was suprised to find its uses the same tires as a Bandit 600. I got myne of ebay cheap, they were brand new. A local mechanic said he will remove the old ones and fit the new ones (pair) for £20.

Last edited by bikedudextrm on 00:41 - 07 May 2004; edited 1 time in total

Dup
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 00:39 - 07 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget the speed rating. Don't want them going bang on you. Then you are gonna come off. No doubt about it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 00:44 - 07 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Would think you could get a pair for not vast sums, often with fitting included. The 1200 Bandit tyres / Bimota tyres (they are both the same size) have worked out at around £160 fitted for the last few sets. That is at Wheel House Tyres over to the east of Brum.

All the best

Keith

Panther
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 08:25 - 07 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

had 120/70/17 AV45 and 180/55/17 AV46 put on yesterday at BFM Shipley for £5...tyres cost 150 for the pair...webbie
https://www.bfmmotorcycles.co.uk/

They are one of the shops that took over what was left of Riossi

kev
I Hump Things

PostPosted: 08:28 - 07 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

You put avons on your bike out of choice, why?
20:02:36 Jammy-R6: any holes a goal
20:02:48 kev: even if its a hairy mans arse
20:02:56 Jammy-R6: hell yes

Panther
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 08:50 - 07 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

price and wanted to see what they were like....the tyre of choice would be BT010s, but they wouldn't last too long,

see how the Avons do and if they are no good will go for the tried and trusted BT020s. A chap at Jordens in Leeds described them as fuggin fantastic....I must admit that at the mo they are a damn site more grippy than the Dunlop 220s that were std fit

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:48 - 07 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Avon Azaro SP's are meant to be a bloody good tyre for sportsbikes. Relatively cheap and with a 'new-tyre puncture' warranty Very Happy Not bad value by anyones standards.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 19:58 - 07 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dup wrote:
Don't forget the speed rating. Don't want them going bang on you. Then you are gonna come off. No doubt about it.

Forgive the curt response, but any semi sticky tyre that is the correct size for a ZX6R will be Z rated...

AndyC12345
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 23:30 - 07 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know a few people with A, G, and J model ZX6's, most have played around with either 70 or 65 front's and havnt noticed alot of difference on the road.. Do you do alot of track days? or is this mainly road riding? If you want to change the handling u might be better off playing with tyre pressures? Not that im any expert.. just going from my experiences with it all!

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 23:35 - 07 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordered some 207RR's today - £140 delivered from www.motorcycletyres.com - they've got the 65 profile in stock as well.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 40 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1