Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Not starting in gear

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

keggyhander
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Nov 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:08 - 15 Jun 2012    Post subject: Not starting in gear Reply with quote

At a bike night tonight a mate asked me to look at his wife's bike (ER5).

She's just passed DAS and is stalling it a bit and when this happens, it won't start in gear (with the clutch pulled in of course). It has to be put into neutral in order to start. I tested this myself by putting the bike in gear and hitting the starter. Nothing.

I fired it up, put it in gear, and kicked the stand down. Cut out as expected.

I put the stand back up, disconnected the clutch switch and put a jumper wire between the terminals. No joy. He'd brought the Haynes manual with him and I'm guessing that it's to do with the start switch relay and Interlock relay.

He's bringing it round tomorrow evening and I'll have a proper go with my test equipment but if anybody can shed any light I'd appreciate it.

Ta.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

andym
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Nov 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:18 - 15 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought there was more than 1 safety cut off on bikes anyway.

As far as I've ever known the bike can only be started in neutral, so never really thought about wanting to start it in gear.

I do believe my GPz will start in gear with the clutch pulled, which to me seems very strange and I thought that was an issue which needed to be sorted
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

keggyhander
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Nov 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:33 - 15 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

andym wrote:
I thought there was more than 1 safety cut off on bikes anyway.

As far as I've ever known the bike can only be started in neutral, so never really thought about wanting to start it in gear.

I do believe my GPz will start in gear with the clutch pulled, which to me seems very strange and I thought that was an issue which needed to be sorted


Nah mate, the safety switch is supposed to prevent the bike from starting in gear with the clutch OUT, not in.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Marmalade
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:41 - 15 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll be the clutch switch on the lever. Like a front brake light switch but does the clutch gear safety shizzle.

OK, i'll read it properly and try again. i'm an idiot


..

All i can think of is a break in the wire/s of the clutch switch.
Might be the bast place to start with the tester.
____________________
Nobby the Bastard: How yo tell the difference between the actual japanese and her just screaming because she's had live fish stuck up her arse? [url=https://www.nicks-shop.co.uk/bcf-goodies-15-c.aspGet BCF stickers and things here[/url] Reflective helmet stickers - Legal requirement in france - Clicky
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mab
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 24 Jul 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:38 - 15 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the side stand switch has gone. Try bridging the connection at the side stand switch and see if it will start.

Usually on most bikes, to start in gear the side stand has to be up and the clutch pulled in.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Marmalade
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:41 - 15 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

But if it was the side stand switch it would stall as soon as it was put into gear
____________________
Nobby the Bastard: How yo tell the difference between the actual japanese and her just screaming because she's had live fish stuck up her arse? [url=https://www.nicks-shop.co.uk/bcf-goodies-15-c.aspGet BCF stickers and things here[/url] Reflective helmet stickers - Legal requirement in france - Clicky
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Turkish
Crazy Courier



Joined: 09 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:54 - 15 Jun 2012    Post subject: Re: Not starting in gear Reply with quote

keggyhander wrote:
I put the stand back up, disconnected the clutch switch and put a jumper wire between the terminals. No joy.


Maybe you tried this already, but did you try with the clutch switch disconnected and nothing between the terminals (open circuit)? I don't know anything about your bike but it could be that the switch is a normally closed type and it isn't opening.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

keggyhander
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Nov 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:06 - 15 Jun 2012    Post subject: Re: Not starting in gear Reply with quote

Turkish wrote:
keggyhander wrote:
I put the stand back up, disconnected the clutch switch and put a jumper wire between the terminals. No joy.


Maybe you tried this already, but did you try with the clutch switch disconnected and nothing between the terminals (open circuit)? I don't know anything about your bike but it could be that the switch is a normally closed type and it isn't opening.


You know, I honestly can't remember, but I think I must have done.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 110 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.16 Sec - Server Load: 3.48 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 57.42 Kb