Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Medical Research....one for danny i've been told :P

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

m i k e
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 17:44 - 05 May 2004    Post subject: Medical Research....one for danny i've been told :P Reply with quote

I'm thinking about taking part in some medical research, and they're doing tests with painkillers, it's going to last 2 weeks, which is going to be a pain, but i'd get paid £1300. But before I sign my body away to the white coats, I was wondering if anybody had done anything like this before, if so what happened when they did it? Did they get a good pay out, etc. As all of this is new to me.

Cheers

Mike

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore

PostPosted: 17:45 - 05 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked £1300!
I'll do the bloody thing!!!
Where where!!!

"I'm either going to teach andy to get his knee down, or I'm going to get him killed. One of the two" - Teaman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

m i k e
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 17:47 - 05 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing exactly the first thing I thought, it's in Manchester at some medical research clinic, i've got an interview next wednesday to test i'm a good enough guinea pig for the job. But £1300 could go quite nicely towards a new pair of wheels! Very Happy

Mike

nealski
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 18:04 - 05 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd do it. I have a female friend that wants to do it and reckoned it was safe as they always test on men first!!

£1300 is not bad - even if you start to grow hair on your palms!

Neal

m i k e
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 18:12 - 05 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

nealski wrote:
£1300 is not bad - even if you start to grow hair on your palms!

Neal

Confused Confused Confused Laughing Laughing

Danny
Ask Me About Stoppie School

PostPosted: 18:14 - 05 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

£1300 is a lot of money for only 2 weeks, I'd check what painkiller they are giving you and read up on it.

I did a study for 6 months and had to take vitamins (which were pretty harmless), I had to come in every month for tests and take one tablet daily. I got paid £1900 ish for that.

If you really don't like needles then this probably isn't the thing for you.

m i k e
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 18:17 - 05 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danny wrote:
If you really don't like needles then this probably isn't the thing for you.

Pants! Sad i'm willing to put up with a few, but I don't know how many I can cope with as I believe us humans were never meant to be 'probed' like that Sad

Mike

Danny

PostPosted: 18:21 - 05 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask them how often they'll be using needles and decide if you can cope with whatever they say.

m i k e
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 18:24 - 05 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do, so what vitamins were you testing whilst you were on your guinea pig stages?

Mike

Dazed
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:36 - 05 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of my mates did some new anti-cancer drug testing recently for a well known pharmaceutical company. Both got about £3.5K, and it included a 3 day (I think) stay in a ward bed (at the company?) and 2 weeks of going in for ECGs, blood tests, etc.

It was quite funny to see one of them come back at about 9am and rip off those ECG chest stickers and go back to bed. It did have some funny stipulations, like avoiding green food Shocked and not drinking booze for a week or so. Some people were given placebos, others not - I was told one of my mate's face came out in a rash/spots for a week or two, don't think he's got his compensation for that yet either. They also had to wear those stupid arm tag things, which said something along the lines of 'incase of medical emergency - call this number immediately!'.

It's pretty tempting, but my folks don't want me to pop my clogs just yet Rolling Eyes The painkiller thing sounds fun.

I suppose if you don't like needles you could try and visualize them stuffing a wad of notes into your shirt pocket each time Very Happy

m i k e
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 18:43 - 05 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup I think, that's the only thing that'd get me through it, another good thing is that there's a mate that's going to do it with me, and I think we might have to stay in the clinic for the two weeks, either way I’ve been told there's pool tables and whatever else. But two lad mates doing this, it should be a proper good laugh! And there's supposed to be birds there, so it's sounds good to me, go and chill out in a clinic, take a few painkillers and a possible beating for the pain Laughing and get paid £1300, oh g'warn then Very Happy Thumbs Up

Mike

Danny

PostPosted: 18:51 - 05 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

m i k e wrote:
Will do, so what vitamins were you testing whilst you were on your guinea pig stages?
They had very long names is about all I can remember about them. Laughing
They found that people with certain vision problems were lacking in a certain naturally occuring vitamin, so they wanted to see if giving people this vitamin would improve their vision.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:27 - 05 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danny wrote:
They found that people with certain vision problems were lacking in a certain naturally occuring vitamin, so they wanted to see if giving people this vitamin would improve their vision.

Any idea what vision problems and what effects the stuff had?

All the best

Keith

Danny

PostPosted: 19:34 - 05 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure, they did tell me but that was over a year ago. From what I remember older people were most affected by this condition. The only side effect I noticed was that I lost about 4.7kg over the 6 months.

/me looks at belly

/me searches for old pills

MikeyC
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:48 - 06 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

how did you find out about this?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

m i k e
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 15:54 - 06 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find out about.........the company doing the research?

MikeyC
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:55 - 06 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah

m i k e
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 15:57 - 06 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard on a local radio station mate, the company's called 'medival' or something like that? Guessing you interested in doing it?

Mike

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore

PostPosted: 15:59 - 06 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Money sounds decent.
Hmm....

"I'm either going to teach andy to get his knee down, or I'm going to get him killed. One of the two" - Teaman

m i k e
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 15:59 - 06 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

......the only reason i'm doing it Razz

MikeyC
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:14 - 06 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, what NSR kid said... Very Happy

Mattastic
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:25 - 06 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Covance do one in Leeds and it is full of the scum of society! Proper down and out scallies. My mate goes three times a year, usually for the weekend one and nets him between £300 - £1000 depending on what he's taking. He has so far never had side effects. You don't generally get paid until a month after.

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:34 - 06 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mattastic wrote:
Covance do one in Leeds and it is full of the scum of society! Proper down and out scallies. My mate goes three times a year, usually for the weekend one and nets him between £300 - £1000 depending on what he's taking. He has so far never had side effects. You don't generally get paid until a month after.

Is that to see if you are still alive? Laughing

Dazed
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:54 - 06 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm I had a quick look on Google and found www.biotrax.co.uk , it has a list of research things in your area. One that looks a bit worrying is 'Anti-Scarring - Rapid wound healing - Testing the effectiveness of NEW medications to prevent and accelerate wound healing'. Now it says 'healthy male volunteers', what I want to know is do they give you a wound to test it? Laughing Then again looking at the map it isn't that far from Moss Side Razz

Mattastic
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:01 - 06 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

There used to be one in Manchester that did surgery. A bloke I worked with had a slice of his little finger off then re-attached and got about three and a half grand if I remember correctly Shocked
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 362 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2