Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Yamaha R6 a good idea at 18/19?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Shimmydude
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:54 - 05 May 2004    Post subject: Yamaha R6 a good idea at 18/19? Reply with quote

Now I know that there’s a thread like this because I created it but it seems to have trailed off into lots of different topics so I thought I would do a new one.

I’m considering doing my driving test but at the same time wondering should I do my motorcycle test instead, sell my NSR and get a Yamaha r6 and have it restricted?

What would you guys recommend? Bear in mind I am a student and have a limited income Very Happy

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 18:56 - 05 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't restrict it... but yes get one..

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:57 - 05 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go and phone around for some insureance quotes then come back Razz
As far as the bike, theres allot of worse bikes to start on but from cost of running it wouldn't be my first choice, not only that the servicing e.t.c. which would be pricey i'd imagine..

mrchips
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:38 - 05 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I would get something like a GPZ500 at that age. Cheaper to buy, insure, still sporty and quick enough for every day riding, and won't cost as much or be the end of the world if you do crash it.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 20:06 - 05 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have no money, don't get an expensive bike.

Get both licences. They are both very useful. Then sell the NSR and get a cheap 4 stroke bike. GPZ500/ER5/CB5/GS5 are all sound choices.

No need to hop up to an R6 right away, you'll still get bored of it in no time and want to hop up to an R1. Space out the boredom a bit.

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 23:07 - 05 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally, it was two much of an on edge bike for my liking, its was too track focused for my liking Laughing.

i went for something a little bit more comfortable, and just as fast Laughing

Mr. Green Ninja Mr. Green Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 23:09 - 05 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then you put a rod out the front of the engine.

Kawasaki. Bulletproof.

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 23:11 - 05 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

These things happen. nouthing is perfect, but as far as reliability goes, it was damn good. other than the con-rod going all i had go wrong was a clutch cable Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Steve H
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:13 - 06 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I don't see the point of getting one of the quickest 600's on the road and then restricting it - it's a bit like putting a champion racehorse to stud and immediately cutting its' wotsits off!

Why don't you go for something that'll suit your requirements at present and shell out a packet for your dream bike when your licence allows you to utilise all of its' superb credentials.

Luke_Retrofly
Silly Lesbian

PostPosted: 01:27 - 06 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Atually getting an R6 and restricting it may be a good idea. It lets you get used to the bike handling etc but dosnt have the "OMG im in a tree" power. It may server as a good step. As soon as your confidant that you can handle the power derestrict it, its like having 2 bikes in 1.

Luke
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 09:54 - 06 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

problem is with any sport 600, is they have the ability to become very "oh my god tree" very fast. The R6 and the Gsxr6 especially.... just look at poor old goose Confused

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:18 - 06 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're a poor student it's probably not worth getting something like the R6, Tyres, Servicing and insurance can be expensive. You'd not be using it properly to keep the mileage down to cut down on the expenses and It'd be restricted.

As has been suggested, why don't you buy something a bit cheaper until you can use it properly and have the cash to look after the little beastie. Leaving an R6 outside student accommodation might see it disappear very quickly too, but not with you on it.

Shimmydude
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:04 - 06 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Luke, yea that’s what I thought. Get used to riding a bigger bike and then eventually de-restrict it and have it full power. Although I very much doubt I would be doing over 120 on it for ages. I would get a smaller bike than an R6 but then when you come to sell it then you loose more money on it! I would rather get a loan and pay for a bike that I could keep for 4 years or so and get used to its handling and riding.

But I can’t seem to find anywhere where I can get insurance for around £1000? I live at home at the moment so the bike would be garaged at night then in a collage car park (where i can keep an eye on it Smile with the suzuki gsxr 750 that parks there Very Happy

Danny
Ask Me About Stoppie School

PostPosted: 15:06 - 06 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shimmydude wrote:
But I can’t seem to find anywhere where I can get insurance for around £1000?
I can get your insurance down when the times comes if you wish.

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 15:08 - 06 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigT19 wrote:
.... just look at poor old goose Confused

To be fair you can't blame his accident on the bike. That could of happened no matter what bike he was riding. Even an NSR will do 80 on the motorway.

Shimmydude
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:10 - 06 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks dude, ill let you know when I have debated it through! Do you recon you could get it down to around 1000 because I need to take the insurance into consideration for the total price of the bike.

Danny

PostPosted: 15:13 - 06 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I most probably could, if you give me the following details I should be able to give a more accurate estimate:
NCB
Any accidents/claims/convictions

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:21 - 06 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shimmydude wrote:
I would get a smaller bike than an R6 but then when you come to sell it then you loose more money on it!

Not necessarily, a lot of smaller bikes are in demand by learners or those who have just passed their tests. There is usually a good market for them and can hold their values well.

A 600 sports bike is a common machine and there are a lot of them around used. They cost more to buy than say a commuter and depreciate a fair bit faster. They also get hit harder every two years when the next great model comes out, it's the same for most larger capacity sports bikes though.

Quote:
I would rather get a loan and pay for a bike that I could keep for 4 years or so and get used to its handling and riding.

I'd be surprised if you wanted to keep the same bike for four years. Don't get me wrong though, some people do.

I really seems like you have made your mind up anyway without any comments from us. If you do decide to get one good luck and take it easy! Wink

Shimmydude
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:22 - 06 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Age - 18 (08.03.1986)
Post Code - hr27xz
NCB - 0 well had provisional for a year with no claims. Does that count, i dont think it does?
Any accidents/claims/convictions - No

There you go dude Very Happy

Danny

PostPosted: 15:24 - 06 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I'd say your still looking at £900-1000 TPFT at best. Shocked

Being young on a sports bike is expensive unfortunately.

Shimmydude
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:26 - 06 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id say 900 - 1000 insurance would be great!!!! To get insured on a car is practically the same for me, well more in fact!

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 18:00 - 06 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigT19 wrote:
The R6 and the Gsxr6 especially

I got my GSXR6 on friday, had the restrictors out on sunday and have had no OMG moments really, ok I've been a bit shocked when I realise what happens when I try to ride it like I did the 400 but I've found it really easy to ride on the whole. Very Happy

Dup
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:12 - 06 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im a poor student looking for his first bike. What do you suggest?

50 miles a day + weekend mileage.

An R6 would be crazy, unless i was given one! But other than that, something sporty, good pickup off the line is a must for me. I'll be 19 28th of June. cheers.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Shimmydude
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:10 - 06 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at my other thread: Getting a 600 at 18. There were a lot of possible bikes discussed in there. An NSR might be an option, just de-restrict it. It's sporty and if it's only for around town then I would say is defiantly a possible option. Very Happy

Dup
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:40 - 06 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

50 miles around town...erm no.

Im talking twisties and town in all weather, all year round. I'll have a look in that topic though thanks.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 362 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2