Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How do you deal with full time work?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Derivative
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:44 - 06 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not considering living off the interest.
My assumption is that interest on average will roughly match (or beat) inflation.
Then you can simply use 2012 sterling for everything.

£1m over 50 years gives £20k pa.
Should be doable. Depends on needs in old age.

I don't plan to have dependents so leaving money behind is irrelevant.

-LG-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:45 - 06 Jul 2012    Post subject: Re: How do you deal with full time work? Reply with quote

Alpha-9 wrote:
Hi guys

How do you deal with working day in day out?
I know you'll probably lol as there will be those of you who have worked fulltime for the last 20+ years but fuck

I've been on the grind only 2 years and I still don't get how people can bare it, we spend more time working than enjoying life, we get one day a week where we can get a decent night sleep and stay up as late as we want without having to worry about waking up early (saturdays)

How do you people not go insane?
I by no means live to work and only really work to live, I need the money, would anyone really work if they didn't have to? I'd much rather focus on things I enjoy doing, however time-wasting they may seem

Dunno, maybe there are people out there doing what they love and are super happy in what they're doing
My job is by no means bad, it's the best i've had thus far as it's dealing with people so everyday is slightly different

But shiiiiiiiiit, we're expected to go on like this forever until we die?!

The average day seems to split into 3 parts, 8 hours sleep, 8 hours work, 8 hours free time... It's just not enough
I want to be freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Finding a job you enjoy helps. I've been in my supermarket job for nearly 5 years, it kills me going in every day, I hate it. There are people who have been there for 15+ years...god knows how they do it! It makes me brain dead sitting on a till all day.

Heard a saying 'find a job you like, and it won't feel like work.' Completely agree with that. Going out as a Special, doing 8/10 hour shifts for free (well, less than £15 as I get expenses) I don't care, love every second of it (yes, even the paperwork!).

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:48 - 07 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

apexperf wrote:

And the idea of sharing the wealth?!?! Give it a fucking rest! I didnt spend 4 years studying full time (so I could learnt the necessary skills to run a sucessful business) whilst working 30 hours a week and living on the breadline followed by 12 years working my bollocks off and risking everything with an absolute pittance of an income for the first few years whilst my gfriend gave up her career as a nurse to come and help to build up our business just to hand over chunks of it to our employees.

Get a grip.
So, given the idea that virtually everyone is either currency or ego driven what do you get out of it? Ego? it must be.

You don't feel like giving where it's 'nice' to and pushing your 'wealth' on your peers so you like to push the point home about how you EARNED it.

I'm not knocking the idea, I graft my ass off too to earn a living, a living that I'm comfortable in but different people have different idea and ethics - they can't always be educated to a 'successors' way of thinking. Karma

Derivative wrote:

I think £20k a year is a good baseline if it increases in line with inflation.
The average worker earns that after tax and before mortgage.
They don't though, do they?

Not a lot of people get off minimum wage and not a lot people earn over 10pp/h.

I've been working since paper-round days, since I was 18 I've not had a job where the salary was above 13/14K. I've met people through work who earn 00's of thousands a year, I know 3 millionaire's socially to the point I could pop round, have a beer when I'm passing but none of my mates, friends or family earn above me or towards the point of 20K.

(and no, I dont know or feel I know them closely ENOUGH to beg for a wadge of cash to pay my recent fine; I'd happily earn that and have my dignity intact).
Hetzer wrote:
Derivative wrote:

I also plan to win.

There is no "win". The more you have the more you'll want; it's like a disease. Unless you're one in ten million rare.
So, if you plan to live comfortably and earn to cover your expenses; look after your family and cover their basic luxuries but not requiring of a 'high life' or desperate to gain money/success like a gambler then it's within range?

I hope so, that's my goal.

daemonoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:37 - 07 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derivative wrote:
I am not considering living off the interest.
My assumption is that interest on average will roughly match (or beat) inflation.
Then you can simply use 2012 sterling for everything.

£1m over 50 years gives £20k pa.
Should be doable. Depends on needs in old age.

I don't plan to have dependents so leaving money behind is irrelevant.

Or buy 20 £50k properties. Rent them out for ~£300 a month. Assuming 80% occupancy you get £4800 in rent. After tax and expenses you're looking at about £30k and your initial stake goes up!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:51 - 07 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

st3v3 wrote:
So, if you plan to live comfortably and earn to cover your expenses; look after your family and cover their basic luxuries but not requiring of a 'high life' or desperate to gain money/success like a gambler then it's within range?

The enemy of contentment is human nature and until that's figured out there will be no contentment. The argument defending that reality is that without such a nature we'd still be living in caves, or at least like the north American indians. But given all that we now know, and living as we currently do, it begs the question: would that be such a bad thing? In very very basic terms, what have we achieved in 5000+ years? Little more than shinier toys. And look what we've sacrificed for them.

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 12:00 - 07 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:
The enemy of contentment is human nature and until that's figured out there will be no contentment. The argument defending that reality is that without such a nature we'd still be living in caves, or at least like the north American indians. But given all that we now know, and living as we currently do, it begs the question: would that be such a bad thing? In very very basic terms, what have we achieved in 5000+ years? Little more than shinier toys. And look what we've sacrificed for them.

An American businessman was standing at the pier of a small coastal Mexican village when a small boat with just one fisherman docked. Inside the small boat were several large yellowfin tuna. The American complimented the Mexican on the quality of his fish.

“How long it took you to catch them?” The American asked.

“Only a little while.” The Mexican replied.

“Why don’t you stay out longer and catch more fish?” The American then asked.

“I have enough to support my family’s immediate needs.” The Mexican said.

“But,” The American then asked, “What do you do with the rest of your time?”

The Mexican fisherman said, “I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take a siesta with my wife, Maria, stroll into the village each evening where I sip wine and play guitar with my amigos, I have a full and busy life, senor.”

The American scoffed, “I am a Harvard MBA and could help you. You should spend more time fishing and with the proceeds you buy a bigger boat, and with the proceeds from the bigger boat you could buy several boats, eventually you would have a fleet of fishing boats.”

“Instead of selling your catch to a middleman you would sell directly to the consumers, eventually opening your own can factory. You would control the product, processing and distribution. You would need to leave this small coastal fishing village and move to Mexico City, then LA and eventually NYC where you will run your expanding enterprise.”

The Mexican fisherman asked, “But senor, how long will this all take?”

To which the American replied, “15-20 years.”

“But what then, senor?”

The American laughed and said, “That’s the best part. When the time is right you would announce an IPO (Initial Public Offering) and sell your company stock to the public and become very rich, you would make millions.”

“Millions, senor? Then what?”

The American said slowly, “Then you would retire. Move to a small coastal fishing village where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take a siesta with your wife, stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos…”

Alpha-9
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:18 - 07 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:
st3v3 wrote:

Modern medicine? Science? Understanding of the world around us? Does that not count for anything?

Well they say people who live simple lives are much happier than we are. But then again we have clean water, sewage systems, electricity, internet, all the good things

So I agree, and disagree Razz

Aperf
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:53 - 07 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

st3v3 wrote:
So, given the idea that virtually everyone is either currency or ego driven what do you get out of it? Ego? it must be.

You don't feel like giving where it's 'nice' to and pushing your 'wealth' on your peers so you like to push the point home about how you EARNED it.

I'm not knocking the idea, I graft my ass off too to earn a living, a living that I'm comfortable in but different people have different idea and ethics - they can't always be educated to a 'successors' way of thinking. Karma

Im not sure what point you are making? What do I get out of what? Working hard? I get a comfortable living and the warm glowing feeling of satisfaction knowing that its self generated. Does it feed my ego, fuck yeah! Im awesome Very Happy Wink

Seriously, I get the knowledge that my family is provided for. Ultimately what more is there? Should I take the security that my partner and myself have (and still are) worked/ing for and give it away to those who havent worked as hard? I think not.

Changing topic slightly the average UK household income is £40k.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15197860

Any household that spends £5k a year on a new car AND goes on two or three package holidays a year then bitches about not having enough money to send thei rkids to a private school wants a good slap IMHO.

Ive just sold my Transit that I bought second hand 5 years ago (for £6k) having replaced it with a second hand Vito. The works van was used as a daily driver to avoid having to buy yet another car to run alongside it (we need two vechiles to use daily) and Ive gone for a Vito because its a duel liner so can take the kids in the back but it also acts as the works van.

Our second car is a 2002 S Type Jag that we paid £4.5k for three years ago and have no plans to replace for the forseable future as its low mileage and does what it says on the tin, i.e. starts, gets us from A to B reliably and is a comfortable quiet old bus to waft round in.

We will have a few holidays this year, camping in the UK.

To pour more than 15% (after tax) of a households income on a vehicle year on year is completely inane. To then whine about not having enough money is an outright joke!

LordShaftesbu...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:06 - 07 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpha-9 wrote:

Modern medicine? Science? Understanding of the world around us? Does that not count for anything?

I think it does. I agree with Hetz that the massive increase in ownership of material possessions has contributed a big fat nothing towards happiness. However, not having to see your child or spouse die before you from dysentery or polio or smallpox certainly has.

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:11 - 07 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

LordShaftesbury wrote:
Alpha-9 wrote:

I think it does. I agree with Hetz that the massive increase in ownership of material possessions has contributed a big fat nothing towards happiness. However, not having to see your child or spouse die before you from dysentery or polio or smallpox certainly has.

Experiential reference-points and perception. The Indians had theirs, we have ours, and they inform our perception of and reaction to death. Death means as much and as little as we're brought up to believe.

LordShaftesbu...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:23 - 07 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it's not all nurture. In general, a mother will grieve for her dead child no matter what she's been taught.

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:37 - 07 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

LordShaftesbury wrote:
No, it's not all nurture. In general, a mother will grieve for her dead child no matter what she's been taught.

Of course, but it's the degree of grief and its aftermath.

LordShaftesbu...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:43 - 07 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't argue that nurture can't alter the degree of suffering, but I will still say that preventing the death of loved ones contributes to a reduction.

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:54 - 07 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

LordShaftesbury wrote:
I won't argue that nurture can't alter the degree of suffering, but I will still say that preventing the death of loved ones contributes to a reduction.

So modern medicine prevents one from dying until one has lived ones full three score and ten? Woopee doo. Here's my point: is there life after death? If not, when you die doesn't matter; if there is, when you die doesn't matter. In either case, grief is a form of ignorance. If only that ignorance was harmless! Unfortunately fear of death has visited numerous ills upon us, our current life-style being the worst.

Life amounts to very little other than the pleasurable distractions we can afford ourselves, with just enough pain to give the pleasure a sufficient sweetness. Too much pain however robs the pleasure of much of its sweetness, and in many cases all of it. The 'Sunday Blues' for one example.

There is a natural balance between work and play; unfortunately ours is totally screwed.

Alpha-9
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:27 - 07 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh here he goes again Laughing

Life after death is like life before you were born, remember that?

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:28 - 07 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpha-9 wrote:
Oh here he goes again Laughing

Life after death is like life before you were born, remember that?

Yes.

Middle Finger Laughing

Derivative
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:22 - 07 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

The argument that the 'simpler life' was somehow better doesn't really stack up for me personally.

I can point to many examples in my life of experiences that wouldn't have been possible x000 years ago and that have definitely increased my quality of life.

Take motorcycles as an example. A few years ago I didn't really know they existed. Sure, I saw them whizzing about, but if they hadn't been there I would have felt no different.

Then I sat on one. I am almost more happy as a result. I have a new fun pastime (and mode of transport) that I didn't have before. One that couldn't have existed in the 'simple world'.

There are countless other examples I could point to that wouldn't have been possible with old tech and it is definitely not a matter of envy because I discovered many of these hobbies completely independently of my peer group.

In addition x000 years ago hunting for food was essentially 90% of what adult humans filled their time with. There was nothing else. Pastimes and hobbies couldn't exist. Even without having some sort of role model or 'other way' to look up to I can't see how one could reasonably claim that they'd rather spend their entire life running around with no self-imposed goal other than to possibly have children.

Quote:

Have a look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Income_in_the_United_Kingdom
Data is from 2004-2005 but I'd expect it to be about the same now.

10 million workers earn between £20,000-£40,000.
The median income (the income half of Britain earns less than and half more) is just about £20k on the dot.
That's including part time workers so the full time figure is higher.

I live on a council estate in the North East, that means that most of my family and friends are on sub £20k.

People of different socioeconomic status tend to bunch in this way. If you were brought up in Central London you'd probably find most of your family and friends were well off.

Anecdotal evidence is still statistical, but with a smaller, more likely to be biased sample.

Anyway, my original point was that £20k was enough. If you think most earn less than that, then that means they'd need less to retire and maintain the same standard of living.

Aperf
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:47 - 07 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derivative wrote:
The median income (the income half of Britain earns less than and half more) is just about £20k on the dot.

£20k per worker, two workers in most households, £40k income.

fatpies
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:47 - 07 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

apexperf wrote:

£20k per worker, two workers in most households, £40k income.

Which is too simple. Gotta pay tax on that 20K. Then other taxes like council tax, then take into account 20% VAT on everything. And not a whole load is left over!

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:07 - 07 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derivative wrote:
The argument that the 'simpler life' was somehow better doesn't really stack up for me personally.

I can point to many examples in my life of experiences that wouldn't have been possible x000 years ago and that have definitely increased my quality of life.

Take motorcycles as an example. A few years ago I didn't really know they existed. Sure, I saw them whizzing about, but if they hadn't been there I would have felt no different.

Then I sat on one. I am almost more happy as a result. I have a new fun pastime (and mode of transport) that I didn't have before. One that couldn't have existed in the 'simple world'.

There are countless other examples I could point to that wouldn't have been possible with old tech and it is definitely not a matter of envy because I discovered many of these hobbies completely independently of my peer group.

In addition x000 years ago hunting for food was essentially 90% of what adult humans filled their time with. There was nothing else. Pastimes and hobbies couldn't exist. Even without having some sort of role model or 'other way' to look up to I can't see how one could reasonably claim that they'd rather spend their entire life running around with no self-imposed goal other than to possibly have children.

Quote:

Have a look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Income_in_the_United_Kingdom
Data is from 2004-2005 but I'd expect it to be about the same now.

I live on a council estate in the North East, that means that most of my family and friends are on sub £20k.

People of different socioeconomic status tend to bunch in this way. If you were brought up in Central London you'd probably find most of your family and friends were well off.

Anecdotal evidence is still statistical, but with a smaller, more likely to be biased sample.

Anyway, my original point was that £20k was enough. If you think most earn less than that, then that means they'd need less to retire and maintain the same standard of living.

If you'd been born in a time of no motorbikes your feeling for them now would be irrelevant. A horse would have given you the same joy probably. Or a hawk on your arm or a good dog. Obviously, knowing bikes now you wouldn't be happy to go back to a time without them, so your point is moot.

Your 90% figure for time spent hunting, way off the mark. People had hobbies back then...carving, cave-painting, inventing spear-throwers, needles, whatever.

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:18 - 07 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

They say to "live the life of a millionaire" you need at least £4M now. And even then it won't last long... a decade maybe.

They're breaking records with the lottery jackpots recently, but actually the value of what they're winning isn't much different now as it was then.

D O G
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:20 - 07 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:
So modern medicine prevents one from dying until one has lived ones full three score and ten? Woopee doo. Here's my point: is there life after death? If not, when you die doesn't matter; if there is, when you die doesn't matter. In either case, grief is a form of ignorance.

Even if I was certain that there was an afterlife, and I would be reunited with them, I would be devastated if my children were to die at a young age. Watching their personalities and skills develop and evolve, reflecting aspects of yourself or partner is the most interesting and rewarding part of my life.

100 years ago both my partner and 1st child would have most likely died during labour. I'm very pleased that did not happen, and better off for it.

Derivative
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:12 - 08 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:
If you'd been born in a time of no motorbikes your feeling for them now would be irrelevant.

But I mentioned that in my original post.
A few years back when I saw motorcycles buzzing around I didn't take any notice of them. They existed, but I had no idea of the happiness they could bring me. I didn't want one.

Now I have one I think my life is better than it was before.

Of course I can't 'want' something that I can't conceive of.
It does not necessarily mean I am better off without it.

Quote:
Your 90% figure for time spent hunting, way off the mark. People had hobbies back then...carving, cave-painting, inventing spear-throwers, needles, whatever.

90% may be inaccurate, but it is definitely true that we spend much less time working for essentials than we did before the dawn of civilisation.

Unless you redefine 'essential' to include things like a pension or mortgage. The fact we actually have the ability to plan forward and provide for _ourselves_ without having to have children is a huge breakthrough.

Kradmelder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:16 - 08 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I earn 80 pounds per hour converted to pounds, but it buys more here. I work 25 hrs per week, house long ago paid off, bikes and cage newish, traded every few years and all paid cash. I just need to pay nornal living expenses, kids , and the usual extortion to the ex heifer so she can live in a style she was accustomed to.

How? When young do less whining about your own life choices, get an education, a skill, be good at it, and gradually start working less.

Whinging won't even buy you a beer, never mind a living. No one will pay you to sit and whinge.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:11 - 08 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derivative wrote:

90% may be inaccurate, but it is definitely true that we spend much less time working for essentials than we did before the dawn of civilisation.

Unless you redefine 'essential' to include things like a pension or mortgage. The fact we actually have the ability to plan forward and provide for _ourselves_ without having to have children is a huge breakthrough.

Do you seriously think early man spent eight hours a day, five days a week, working? Come on! Laughing Laughing Laughing Not until we got into agriculture did we come even close to that!

Yes, civilisation has many benefits, no arguing that. But the cost! The analogy is simple...so much more money but no time to spend it, much less properly enjoy it. The common man now lives to work; early man worked to live. And it's the way it is now so a tiny minority can have the biggest and the bestest and the mostest. There is no need for a 40-hour week anymore.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 266 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12