Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How do you deal with full time work?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Derivative
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:03 - 08 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:
Do you seriously think early man spent eight hours a day, five days a week, working?

Maybe this is the source of our confusion.

A 40 hour work week is not necessary. Most people do it either because they're just not thinking about other options, or because they want creature comforts.

Early man didn't have a comfortable brick house, or central heating, or constant sources of always-on entertainment. He didn't have mobile phones, he didn't have vehicles (other than animals).

If you want to live a basic life, you can still do it. Go wild camping in Scotland. Since you can't really hunt effectively due to law, food will cost you about £1-2k a year. There really isn't that much more you'd have to spend on. Perhaps clothing.

That works out at about 8 hours worked per week. You could, as an example, take a weekend job and clean up at a campsite shower or similar in the morning so that it's actually feasible.

lihp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:31 - 08 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derivative wrote:

Early man didn't have a comfortable brick house, or central heating, or constant sources of always-on entertainment. He didn't have mobile phones, he didn't have vehicles (other than animals).

What about the females? You're just being sexist now.

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:55 - 08 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derivative wrote:
Hetzer wrote:
Do you seriously think early man spent eight hours a day, five days a week, working?

A 40 hour work week is not necessary. Most people do it either because they're just not thinking about other options, or because they want creature comforts.

If you want to live a basic life, you can still do it. Go wild camping in Scotland. Since you can't really hunt effectively due to law, food will cost you about £1-2k a year. There really isn't that much more you'd have to spend on. Perhaps clothing.

That works out at about 8 hours worked per week. You could, as an example, take a weekend job and clean up at a campsite shower or similar in the morning so that it's actually feasible.

You can't take a person out of his current milieu, and in isolation, and expect him to be happy with his new lot, the psyche doesn't work like that. Rolling Eyes
unitynotsocri... This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

roo12
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:20 - 10 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

might be of interest:

https://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/green-living-blog/2009/oct/28/live-without-money

pretty nice that someone can live that simply in today's world.

roo12
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:21 - 10 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

might be of interest:

https://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/green-living-blog/2009/oct/28/live-without-money

I'd still have to have a motorbike though Mr. Green

Last edited by roo12 on 18:00 - 10 Jul 2012; edited 1 time in total
Barnaby This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

tbourner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:00 - 10 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

roo12 wrote:
might be of interest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yh-QWKGbm2Q&feature=player_detailpage#t=35s
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

roo12
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:07 - 10 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

tbourner wrote:

Perfect flipside! Laughing

Kradmelder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:13 - 10 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barnaby wrote:
This made a lot of sense when it was told to me after finally graduating the 2nd time around.

It's been plagiarised on the net sooo many times that it's origins & true contents are probably lost.

Can't find a yootoob vid but it's everywhere in differant versions if you Google "Jar of Life".

Quote:

The Story

There was a philosophy professor who was giving a lecture. In front of him he had a big glass jar. He started off by filling up the jar with the golf balls and when they reached the rim of the jar he held it up to the students and asked them if the jar was full. They all agreed, there was no more room to put golf balls in, it was full.

Is it full?

He then picked up tub of small pebbles and poured these in jar so that they filled the space around the golf balls. "Is the jar full now?" he asked. The group of students all looked at each other and agreed that the jar was now completely full.

Is it really full?

The professor then picked up another container, this time it had sand in it. He poured the sand in between the pebbles and the golf balls and once again he held up the jar to his class and asked if it was full. Once again the students agreed that the jar was full.

"Are you sure it’s full?" he asked. He finally picked up a bottle of beer and tipped the beer into the jar until it filled up all the remaining space. The students laughed.

Filling up your Life

The professor then went on to explain the experiment. "This jar represents your life," he said. "And the golf balls represent the things in your which are really important, these are the things that have real value. Like your family, friends and your health. The pebbles are things like your mortgage, job, car, clothes and so forth. The sand represents all the other small stuff."

Make Room for the Important

"If you fill the jar up first with the sand or pebbles then you won’t have space for the stuff which matters most. So you must always remember to first make room for the things which are most important in your life first."

"Spend time with your children; make time to paint or to go on walks, take your partner out for a meal. What is your hobby or passion? What reconnects you with life? If you don’t spend time on these," he said lifting up a golf ball. "Then you’ll find your life swamped with the little stuff."

Keep time for your friends.

"What about the beer?" asked one of the students. "I’m glad you asked about that," he replied. "Because, remember that no matter how busy you are, you’ve always got time for a beer."

Amen

But many people like to play golf. They dont want to land in the land. Mr. Green

Im not a golfer. Im a biker, and I played rugby Mr. Green

But then again Im far to old to play in a sandbox as well. But sand is very useful for putting out fires, providing a place for your kids to play, and providing beach front property.

The fuckwits who think they can eat golf balls and be happy without carrying and digging sand are going to learn a better lesson than that stupid prof. remember the ant and the grasshopper?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bikertomm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:43 - 10 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've come up with a solution,

Wanking Razz
unitynotsocri... This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
Andy J This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

ninja_butler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:45 - 16 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derivative wrote:
Hetzer wrote:

Maybe it was easier in warmer climes but Early Man in most of Europe would have worked from dusk till dawn seven days a week, hunting and gathering and preparing for Winter.

Anyone remember the 1980's cartoon movie "Starchaser The Legend Of Orin" where there were these villagers who lived in caves deep underground and there was this one kid who who has this crazy idea of digging upwards?

"Never dig up! Up is Hell!!" so say the villagers. The factory where I work, that's exactly the mentality of the people who work there, especially the toss-pots on the factory floor working on the lines, they don't want to know, they don't care, they're not interested in anything outside of the factory walls. Total f*cking waste of time trying to get through to them, they love it there, they love the boredom and monotony and they despise anyone who thinks differently. Seriously, they are that bad and it's not even nearly the worst place to be working.

I worked on the lines for years but I finally got out and moved to a different department doing a job that nobody else wanted to do but it turned out to be infinitely better than being stuck on the lines, better wages too. It's a crappy job and I'm looking for a real job somewhere else (what are the chances?) but I'll never be one of them.

My advice about working full time in a job you hate is to have more than just a pipe dream for how to get out, even if it never goes anywhere at least you've got a real hope of doing something with your life; have a plan.

I'm just getting into sculpting small-scale models which potentially is a source of a good income IF I become expert at it; it will take time and a measure of commitment and it's important to stay up to date with new techniques and developments (3D printer technology is changing the game) but I enjoy it and even if I never go pro it could be a good side-line to supplement my income.

LittleMotorbi...
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:14 - 29 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Totally agree, working full time is sometimes really crazy...
I work full time for a bit more then 10 years now, but changed my profession quite often with holidays between the jobs. Also a few times accidents that gave me long breaks Smile

I now work 12 hours a day, 3/4 days a week. Sometimes I have 4 days off in a row and that makes working full time pleasant Very Happy

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:32 - 11 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to find a reason for your work.

You don't necessarily need to be doing a job you like, but the money from that job, and the free time you have outside of that job, should be spent on some kind of goal that you're aiming towards.

If you have no goals, then obviously every everything is gonna seem pointless.

If you piss your money up the wall each weekend it's not exactly helping you break out of the routine either.

I was in the same situation until I decided to get my head down and now I've been working 50 hours a week and studying an A-level in Maths in every spare second I've got. The money I earn from my job is being saved for future living expenses so I can have the time to hopefully study more and eventually get to uni. Oh and I want a motorbike. Hah.

It's been a real hermit's existence for me but I feel absolutely fine. I used to go out on absolute benders almost every weekend, but now I haven't had a full night out in almost a year and I feel great, mainly because I've exchanged that wasted time and money for study time and an ever-increasing bank balance!

So yeah. People who think work is pointless need to have a think about their aims, and the true reason they're working. That's it realleh!

thegubner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:32 - 11 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote one fuck of a long post about not having to cope cos I'm lucky enough to love my job, then my browser crashed.

That'll teach me for being smug.

bazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:31 - 11 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

theguvnor wrote:
I wrote one fuck of a long post about not having to cope cos I'm lucky enough to love my job, then my browser crashed.

That'll teach me for being smug.

What's your job - QC tester for Microsoft?

thegubner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:07 - 11 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea what that is, a tester of quirky cunts?

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:31 - 11 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

theguvnor wrote:
I have no idea what that is, a tester of quirky cunts?

Quality control
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kotachi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:39 - 11 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that was sarcasm... xD
Suntan Sid said: "Look at it this way, your employer wants to pay you the minimum amount, it thinks it can get away with, and extract from you the maximum amount of graft. Ergo it's your responsibility to ensure that karma is restored and you do as little work as you think you can get away with, for the maximum amount of money."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:37 - 11 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

kotachi wrote:
I think that was sarcasm... xD

I am not on the ball today. Laughing

kotachi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 16:52 - 29 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha it's okay mate, got your back.

Anyway just to add my contribution to this thread (and not to let it die)...

I'm a student so have no real idea of the world of work, not gonna lie. But this summer holiday I have been doing a summer placement in a bank in London - I'm currently in my 5th week of it, doing a total 2 months or 9 weeks. And I'm feeling drained.

Not like mentally drained, the work as an intern really isn't that difficult and I'm breezing through most of it and spending the rest of my days on here! But physically.. Getting up at 6am every morning is slowly knackering me out, and I've found I've been missing gym/training sessions when I get home due to tiredness which I am hating myself for cause those are usually my favourite parts of my day.

So the point is, I don't think I can do one of those 7 til 7 jobs, even if a job in a bank will pay bucketloads - money's only material, and in the words of the beatles it can't buy you love!* (or just general happiness). I think I need something physical and active, and even if it pays 1/4-1/5th of what the bank would, I think it will be more fulfilling...

*the proper kind, not the twisted kind Krad seems to get lumbered with in the other thread...

Suntan Sid said: "Look at it this way, your employer wants to pay you the minimum amount, it thinks it can get away with, and extract from you the maximum amount of graft. Ergo it's your responsibility to ensure that karma is restored and you do as little work as you think you can get away with, for the maximum amount of money."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:32 - 29 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

kotachi wrote:

So the point is, I don't think I can do one of those 7 til 7 jobs, even if a job in a bank will pay bucketloads - money's only material

You are right not to want it, quality of life is more important

Even though I don't really like my job, but then who does. I'm paid reasonably well, more than most but I know I could earn more. But that would mean commuting to Leeds or Manchester every day. Probably an extra 2 - 3 hours per day.

The best thing I would say about my job is I start at 9 and it's a 10 minutes away, so I leave at 8:45. I see my kids setting off for School every day. I finish at 5:30 and again I am homefor 5:40.

I also will never find a better job for a motorcyclist, I have a sheltered lit motorcyle shed at work, just by the entrance. The yard is totally secure, not 1 theft in over 15 years. There is a hose (essential in winter) and top it off, I am close to some great biking roads, when the weathers nice, I can do 30-40 miles over the tops and be back in the office within the hour.

But like the other posters, I am also fed up of working. I'm 40 years old, my mortgage has 4 more payments left on it and i'm like, do I really need to work. I've even been promted at work to go for promotions, but I don't really need the money or the hassle.

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:52 - 02 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've left jobs I've been good at because the management were shit, or didn't respect us as a workforce.

Infact the 2nd to last company I left (as Admin Dept Manager) filed for bankruptcy a month later. They'd just got a brand new 12month rent free office in Leeds centre but me leaving helped 4 top sales staff and the head of accounts to see the light.

I worked for Morissons for 13months, just got back there actually, standard 8 hour shift and it was a job I was very good at, bossing people about and fixing broken machines Laughing it's paying for an R6 come January so I'm happy working towards that goal.

Once my licence has popped back through the post I'll be going back to work driving flash cars so it could be worse. Cool
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 210 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 11 of 12