Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

NSR - Yes or No?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

BikerBen
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:56 - 07 May 2004    Post subject: NSR - Yes or No? Reply with quote

Hi I'm new to these forums was just wondering if you guys could give me an opinion on an NSR I am looking into. It is advertised on biketrader and there is only one picture for it. It is a 2002 NSR 125 with Repsol Paint Colours. It has done 4000 odd miles and is Learner Legal. Apparently no damage to bike apart from where a sticker was taken off. The bike is up for £2,300 which i thought was pretty reasonable as it is a 2002 model. Can you give me your opinions? Also, as i am viewing the bike soon, what do i have to look for to see if there is any damage to engine etc.

Would appreciate your help. Thanks

Ben
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RooRoo
Anal Intruder

PostPosted: 13:39 - 07 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like a decent price, and those bikes are meant to be pretty good for a learner bike, I'd of got one if I could afford but went with a gs125 for half the price..I expect someone soon will point out the link to what to look for when buying a bike, I'm not sure how accurate this is, but someone told me once to check the exhaust before they start the bike to make sure he hasnt been running it before you arrived..look for damage over bike, scrapes and cracks will lower the price, make sure engine sounds good with no strange sounds etc...but most of the people here know a hell of a lot more than me...so listen to them!

G1_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:03 - 07 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

That price seems about right for the spec. I'd be weirry of the paint job though Confused
Why would someone get a paint job if the existing body work was fine. Unless the owner('s perants) have more money than sence.

Make sure you check the bike over before the owner starts it. It should start first time, a little smoke is ok but it should not be blue!

Make sure you are aware of the shiney syndrome. It would not be a good idea to buy the bike just because it is shiney!

IMO it would be best not to spend so much on a first bike but do as you will.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

diekitty6
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:22 - 09 May 2004    Post subject: how fast Reply with quote

how fast can an nsr125 go when it is derestricted and restricted, my mate has one and he says that it goes about 120, is this true
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 17:24 - 09 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

~75 mph and ~95 mph I believe.

No - it would not get near 120mph.

AcIdBuRnZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:07 - 10 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not another 'how fast can an NSR go' thread!!! Brick Wall

But since you asked nicely - mine did 85 restricted and could /just/ hit a ton with a tailwind de-restricted.

Not a snowballs chance in hell of it getting near 120mph - but perhaps it was a trick answer and your mate meant kilometres per hour!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

True Blue
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:51 - 10 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't so much the top speed thats the big difference. It was the change in acceleration that most impressed me Cool

BikerBen
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:15 - 11 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i asked the guy what the top speed on the bike is and he said 70mph is top wack on it. It is restricted but isn't that a bit slow? As i have heard other NSR's go 80mph restricted.

AcIdBuRnZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:26 - 11 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

True Blue wrote:
It wasn't so much the top speed thats the big difference. It was the change in acceleration that most impressed me Cool

Agreed - you get that 'kick' in power on the deresticted version (if you can call it that).

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 00:15 - 12 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

BikerBen wrote:
Well i asked the guy what the top speed on the bike is and he said 70mph is top wack on it. It is restricted but isn't that a bit slow? As i have heard other NSR's go 80mph restricted.

They might indicate 80mph as a top speed, but they are unlikely to go that fast on the flat. Realistic top speed will be between 70 and 80 depending on wind direction and whether you are going down hill, etc.

All the best

Keith

BikerBen
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:14 - 15 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I have an update on this NSR. I went and saw it today and it is in mint condition apart from one mark where a sticker was taken off (which can be covered by another sticker).
I didn't get a test ride because firstly I'm not at all confident on geared bikes yet and didn't want to risk it.
I am going again with two people who know a lot more about bikes and when I mentioned to the seller if they would be allowed a test ride he said something about them not being insured. In other words he didn't seem too keen on giving a test ride. Should we pester him for a test ride?

Bear in mind this bike is an import with Repsol Colours which were not put on because of damage, someone just had more money than sense. The asking price is £2300 but considering that they cost £2800-3000 isn't that a bit expensive?

Would REALLY appreciate some feedback on this guys, would help me out a lot. I NEED MY NSR! Very Happy

Ben

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 20:17 - 15 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion there's not much point test riding a 2002 NSR, you know it's going to work fine, if it isn't you would know about it when you start the engine.

When someone wanted a test ride of my bike I asked for the asking price in cash to be left with me, for obvious reasons, if you offer this to the seller they'll let you test ride it, just whatever you do don't crash.

True Blue
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:30 - 16 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems a bit expensive to me. I sold my 2003 NSR for £2300 about a month ago

BikerBen
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:59 - 16 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if I get him down to £2000 would it be a good deal? Bearing in mind the bike is in pretty sweet condition.

tictac
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 00:05 - 17 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want it derestricted & it's an import, don't go near it.
I have had mine a month & still have not found out how to derestrict an import(nobody seems to know for sure) Sad.

ts50x0
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 00:21 - 17 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds ok price. and as its a 2stroke it IS ok to see some blue smoke. in fact thias is good as it means the oil pump is working weel. And it is good that it is still restricted as this means that it is less likley to have been thrashesd as you cant witht the restricted version.

good luck. hope you get it cos these are great bikes!!!! Thumbs Up

BikerBen
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:07 - 18 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well yes I would want to derestrict it. Surely someone here must know how to derestrict import NSR's? Can't I just put a race pipe on it? I thought that was a form a derestricting it and it made a hell of a difference on my 50cc.

This bike has no service history, does that mean I can use that to knock the price down?

Ben

izzi81
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 13:52 - 18 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i got my NSR the guy who was selling it practically insisted I test ride it! I didn't really want to because I wasn't that confident but he said he really wouldn't be comfortable selling it to me before I'd had a go, so I did! I don't really understand why he's not wanting you to test it, you're parting with quite a bit of money. Can't you meet at a car park or something and you could just ride it round there?

BikerBen
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:13 - 20 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a good point. Next time I go and see it I will insist that I test ride it or I'm not buying it. The tight c*nt! Very Happy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 344 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1