Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

NS125R Luggage?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

KevTM
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:09 - 08 May 2004    Post subject: NS125R Luggage? Reply with quote

OK i know most of you are going to say "do your test and get a bigger bike"..

The thing is i'm looking to use my bike to travel to work as my car's MOT is due next month and it's basically going to the scrapyard; i also don't want to buy another car (even if i can pick one up for £200 with a few month's T&T).

Can yous recommend any cheap and cheerful luggage boxes for the '89 NS125R?.. i've tried M&P, they have a lot of Gigi hardcases but i'm lost on what to get.

I need space for:

A Jacket (which will be replaced with armoured bike jacket)
Pair of shoes (which will be replaced with bike boots)
A Laptop case (smallish case but will be replaced with helmet)

After thinking about it, i will need a lot of space and don't know if it will be possible.

Would be looking at doing it around £150 too which is a limiting to say the least.

Again, hardcase? softcases?, tank cases? any ideas appreciated as i havn't dealt with bike luggage before. It may also be impossible but i thought i'd ask for some advice before i go out and buy a lot of rubbish, or even worse, a car Wink

AndyC12345
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 00:11 - 08 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
do your test and get a bigger bike

u said it Razz

(sorry Embarassed )
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

KevTM
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:17 - 08 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would, and i will.. but i wont be able to do my test and get a bigger bike before my MOT runs out.

I might be able to make do with a topbox for the helmet if i could fit the laptop in it whilst travelling. But i would need one more secure method of storing my boots and jacket...

not too much to ask i feel Laughing

AndyC12345
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 00:18 - 08 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you put your lid in a helmet bag, and lock it to your bike somehow? Or can you store your lid at work somewhere, in a bag? could carry a normal bag and stash your coat etc in it..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 00:24 - 08 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.bigbikebook.com/order.asp?Page=/accessories/accessories.asp§ion=3&subsection=41&Price=0&Start=1&Keyword=&SearchDescription=&Zone=&product=1537

https://www.bigbikebook.com/order.asp?Page=/accessories/accessories.asp§ion=3&subsection=41&Price=0&Start=1&Keyword=&SearchDescription=&Zone=&product=1539

Soft luggage? tank bag and panniers? I have a full set of soft luggage and it does all of my needs if and when I go anywhere the bike. Tank bag may be a bit big for the tank on the NS though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

KevTM
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:25 - 08 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

As i work around in different areas almost everyday i don't have the facility to store stuff in a building. I also can't carry anything around with me so i need to secure all the stuff to the bike.

The helmet bag is a good idea.. i have a helmet lock on the bike but i think i'd mch rather trust locking it to the frame with a good padlock.

Oh, and On2Wheels do a tote bag? i could use that to store the remainder of the stuff in, or get a hardbox big enough but htat might cost a lot.

Anyway, i think i'm nearly there! a helmet bag and a big bag/box!

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:28 - 08 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a top box but took it off the day i got it, may come out again one day but unlikeley...

You won't get a full set of hard luggage for £150 unless you are extremely lucky, but then never seen any for the nsr...

You'll be better off to get...

Tank bag - E-bay £30/40 (i got one for £25 nd have used it everyday for half a year, no problems)

Soft paniers - Hein Gericke - £40 ish, again i got some seccond hand off ebay, make sure to get a few bungies for extra security (though you do get bits to tie it on they are a bit of a pain)

Cargo net - £10? at the very most - Easyly the mst usefull bit of kit you will every buy, you can use it for a helmet or for a resonable ammount of light shopping (not 4 liters of coke, but keep it light and its ok usually)

Rucksack - £30 - Euro hike weekender 35/45 they do a big and a small, you can fit LOADS in it if you need to.

Army kit bag - £30 - Absoloutely enormous, i use it for a tent two sleeping bags cooking bits and the bike cover! proably no good in rain but not a problem if you arent useing it for your clothes e.t.c.

You can get laptop bags from staples for about £40 they are rucksacks also and are very good apart from when its raining, make sure to have the laptop or anything else in a rainproof bag inside the bag. Alternatively get the laptop in the tankbag and make sure its nicely padded...

Only prob with soft luggage is rain, make sure whetever you have has a storm cover and keep any electronics in a seperate rainproof bag...

Hope thats helpfull, ive not yet needed to use all the luggage bits i have in one go, but then haven't take my girlfriend* on holliday yet...

By the way there are some bike allarms you can get an auxilery wire to put on your luggage if you have to, mine has one and was £60 i think. Because if a tealeaf sees luggage on a bike in soft panniers or hard they WILL try to look in, if your planing on leaveing it anywhere for a day at a time i'd suggest you get a heatproof cover for the bike and cover it up while your away from it.

*Last year when she moved back into her uni flat her stuff filled a transit van and half a large rover.

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:53 - 08 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got some oxford "humpback" sports panniers from heine Gericke (spelling?) in a sale last week for £55 (half price). Because the new ones are slightly different! They came with rain covers No idea how much they hold though.

Maybe worth a look, although I don't think they could hold all the sh!t that you have! Wink Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 361 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1