Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

gloves starting to smell bad, can you wash motorbike gloves?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:50 - 14 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try white vinegar.

Its awesome for getting the smell of kitten poos out of the carpet.
Only smells like vinegar for, like 3 hours or so, cos it evaporates.
But it takes away all manner of pongs.

I'm currently de-dogsmelling my living room carpet and sofa.
Smells like a chip shop, but only for a couple of hours, then it will smell like ... oh (just lit a spliff) ... well, it will smell like spliff, instead of wet-dog smell.

I'd say sprinkle some white vinegar into the gloves, and leave them to dry off, overnight should do the trick.

Not sure if you could soak them, dunno what the vinegar might do to the leather.

jetski
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:50 - 14 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Febreeze will help, it's exactly what its for, but keep your hands clean and keep your gloves somewhere warm and dry when your not wearing them
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kradmelder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:59 - 14 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Try white vinegar.

Its awesome for getting the smell of kitten poos out of the carpet.
Only smells like vinegar for, like 3 hours or so, cos it evaporates.
But it takes away all manner of pongs.

I'm currently de-dogsmelling my living room carpet and sofa.
Smells like a chip shop, but only for a couple of hours, then it will smell like ... oh (just lit a spliff) ... well, it will smell like spliff, instead of wet-dog smell.

I'd say sprinkle some white vinegar into the gloves, and leave them to dry off, overnight should do the trick.

Not sure if you could soak them, dunno what the vinegar might do to the leather.

hmmm vinegar is acidic. Cant think that will be good for leather? What about bicarb? That is a deodouriser. I haven't tried it. Just a thought.

Alternatively, what about an Italian shower? Just spray with underarm deodourant. Mr. Green
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:38 - 14 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but on the inside it would be okay, on the fabric bit, not the leather.

Good idea with the bicarb, though ... another cheap and easy, ermmmmm ... solution (sorry, bad joke)

Aperf
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:51 - 14 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would work:

https://www.kleers.com/product.php?xProd=63&xSec=1

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:36 - 14 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing to stop you washing leather gloves. They will most probably get as wet in the rain.
Use a Nikwax leather wash or saddle soap.

Hand warm water.
Rinse well.

Hang to dry NOT TOO NEAR A HEAT SOURCE.

Wash your hands after you fapp, wee, poo or eat. You are spreading disease man...
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 2 years, 250 days between these two posts...

MancunianinBr...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:10 - 21 Mar 2015    Post subject: Cleaning Motorcycle Gloves Reply with quote

Everyone who posted seems to have good advice. Two ways of dealing;1, Preventative & 2, Reactive: 1, Preventative: Wash hands well - get rid of bacteria; Dead bacteria jump from your sweaty hands into the lining drop dead, then - yes you've got it! Stink! Just like any self respecting corpse would!! Buy gloves which will allow you to wear a thin, sweat absorbing gloves as a liner - these may then be washed frequently minimising transfer of dead bacteria. Maybe use biological washing powder on lining gloves but not necessarily a must. 2, Reactive: If you are reacting - your gloves are usually smelly. Fold the gloves inside out as far as you can to get close to the fingers. Freezing the gloves may at best kill the bacteria or at worst make them dormant (sleep). Operation remove the smelly dead! These gloves are sods to get inside - wooden spoon to the rescue. Use the handle to push into each finger in turn. Now 'Febrese' the pump action plastic bottle. Gently spray fluid on to spoon handle this will run down handle into fingers and thumb. Spray rest of inside glove with 'Febrese' now at least your gloves smell a bit sweeter; Using disinfectant may well kill the bacteria but do you want your hands to smell of that? Drying the gloves - probably the best way is outside in the sun and the wind! Catch22 - airing cupboard may awaken the offending blighters. Don't need to advise any of you about the freezer - it usually ends in raised voices! Finally you might have to give in; get new gloves; then think about Prevention rather than Cure - 'Good Luck' in your never ending battle.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:51 - 21 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does your dad have a collection of Superdreams?

I mean your real dad.

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:39 - 22 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a special place in hell reserved for cock-suckers who make everyone read old posts.

yes, we should have all checked the date first

rawdred
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 09:00 - 02 Apr 2015    Post subject: smelly gloves Reply with quote

once they start to smell, its pretty much over.
I started hand washing them, letting them soak in mild detergent and clothing softener.

after a while i just chucked them in the washing machine.
I bought a new pair of gloves and keep those as a spare
-

buy some new gloves
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 3 years, 336 days between these two posts...
centerstand This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Boring). Unhide this post / all posts.

Grubscrew
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:21 - 03 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I washed my old full leathers in the washing machine a few years back, and the colours came to life, dried them in the sun, and then used saddle leather treatment several coats, no problems what so ever. They smell as fresh as a daisy

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:59 - 03 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grubscrew wrote:
I washed my old full leathers in the washing machine a few years back, and the colours came to life, dried them in the sun, and then used saddle leather treatment several coats, no problems what so ever. They smell as fresh as a daisy
Nip round and do the bloke above's laundry, that'll learn 'im.

Fallout
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:32 - 03 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once I shoved an iron in some stinky trainers and steamed the feck out of them. It totally worked. I did it a few more times over the course of a year and eventually it melted all the glue and they fell apart. But that first time .... man ... I was an innovating genius.

I would recommend this technique for anything you don't really give a feck about. Thumbs Up

almostthere
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:42 - 09 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was given a leather jacket which had a musty smell I've washed it in the machine used leather cleaner, hung it out for weeks and still fucking stinks, once they smell time to buy new

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:34 - 10 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a shoe odour spray you can buy, which works a treat on malodiferous shoes. It will surely work a treat on gloves.

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:58 - 10 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old thread but I'll add my two cents worth. Muc off foam fresh. It's the only product of there's that I'll use and swear by tiny bit of it sprayed in the glove hand in to make sure it gets into all of it. Smells fresh for weeks.

raesewell
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:18 - 10 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I give my hands a good dollop of hand sanitiser occasionally before putting my gloves on and make sure it gets right down into the fingers.
Keeps the fresh for ages.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:35 - 11 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

raesewell wrote:
I give my hands a good dollop of hand sanitiser occasionally before putting my gloves on and make sure it gets right down into the fingers.
Keeps the fresh for ages.

This. In fact I may have posted this in the original thread. Maybe this advice needs to be a sticky, or rather a slimey Very Happy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 48 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2