Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

they having a laugh now... Banning bikes from country lanes

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Danny
Ask Me About Stoppie School

PostPosted: 18:55 - 09 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BeefMeister wrote:
I obviously don't hear many. My point was that you dont hear them for aslong as you do any noisy car/bike/vehicle.
Don't want to go too off topic here but trust me you can hear them for miles, much longer than you can hear cars/bikes. The intensity of the sound is much higher too.

The BeefMeister
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:57 - 09 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be quiet now then. Embarassed

The planes/helicopters that do fly over here don't hang about and don't hear them for very long. As for cars/bikes, I can hear them for a good few miles. Well only ones that have loud exhaust/cans etc.

Keith
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:04 - 09 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its complete and utter nonsense..

I remember hearing a load of people bitching on a local radio station, trying to get bikes banned full stop.
Their arguments being:
"they are too loud, dangerous and pollutive towards the environment"
lol?!

Whats happened with the government trying to ban the green lanes?
I read about it in the MCN a while ago but haven't heard anything else about it yet.

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 19:09 - 09 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they ban green lanes, it won't stop people riding them at all!

People will still ride them, and as they're breaking the law the second they ride on them, no ones really going to be bothered about respecting anyone else as they are riding them illegally anyway. So people are going to start hooning around, speeding, doing silly stuff etc.

What happened to MCN's Pro Bike campaign they were doing, seems to have died off a fair bit now?

mrchips
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:26 - 09 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how they would ever enforce such a rule. By placing noise cameras etc would be silly because I'm sure some people with big bikes live in the sticks too.

hush
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:34 - 09 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put my no vote in. It's really annoyning that they pick on bikes. To be honest there are far less bike modders than car modders, and the cars generally come out of that more noisy than bikes. I wonder if people think ahead, so okay you get my bike banned from country lanes for being too noisy, fine but then your car should be banned from country lanes for polution, after all, it doesn't do the 90 MPG that my bike does!!!

Even the government seems to recognise that bikes are better for the environment, thus them being on the exempt list for the London city centre ban thing...

What the heck are green lanes? Are those the things where only vehicles with two or more people at that time are allowed?

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 19:37 - 09 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Green lanes are trails, as in muddy off road lanes, that most cars and road bikes wont get down, but they're classed as roads so all road rules apply. Used by horses, ramblers and trail riders on off road enduro bikes (but road legal etc..)

RooRoo
Anal Intruder

PostPosted: 19:44 - 09 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should we ban motorcycles from our country lanes?

Yes 2%
No 97%
Just ban them on the weekend 1%

...lol

Danny
Ask Me About Stoppie School

PostPosted: 19:47 - 09 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

hush wrote:
To be honest there are far less bike modders than car modders, and the cars generally come out of that more noisy than bikes.

Also with bikes that have race cans you can ride quietly through a town if you want to, but a car with a big bore zaust can't.
hush wrote:
Even the government seems to recognise that bikes are better for the environment, thus them being on the exempt list for the London city centre ban thing...
Bikes were only exempt because they didn't have the technology at the time to charge them.

Slavo
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:51 - 09 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote is in Thumbs Down

Shouldn't the government reconsider their decision to build many new airports and expand current airports to accommodate for larger (obviously noisier) airplanes?

It'll never go through and is probably just a hoax to stop them from being questioned for more serious issues...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 20:06 - 09 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BeefMeister wrote:
AFAIK I think you need a licence to have a certain time to use shotguns If it's near a town/village etc.
If it's right out of the way it's not a problem as they usually have purpose built places.

Can hear shotguns most summer weekends where I live. Small village just outside Stafford

The BeefMeister wrote:
Plane's aren't overly noisy, and you can't hear them for miles. Well they are miles away but shhh.
Helicopter's are in the same area.

Plenty of noisy planes, and some of the RAF ones come over a tad low (not much more than the height of the microlight that got reported for buzzing the houses here)

Noggin wrote:
Thats just stupid. You cannot ban bikes from the countryside, surely the emmisions from a bike are less, so the loud noise is just a bi product of a cleaner environment?(Noggin)

Bikes are really bad for exhaust emisions. One 2 stroke moped is worse than a diesel bus, and that is as bad as about 40~120 cars (depending on which emisions you are measuring).

All the best

Keith

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 20:10 - 09 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slavo wrote:
It'll never go through and is probably just a hoax to stop them from being questioned for more serious issues...

It is not the BBC, it is a load of busy bodies (with a few famous people such as Patrick Stewart thrown in as well) who are trying to get bikes banned from quiet lanes.

They may well succeed given how much this government hates road users.

All the best

Keith

JimboJ
Manc Pikey

PostPosted: 20:13 - 09 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:

They may well succeed given how much this government hates road users.

All the best

Keith

We pay Road Tax to use public roads. This will never happen IMO because 1 person cannot make a difference (I am aware that there is more than one person campaigning but it's so insignificant that it'll never go through)
[00:42] <NSR-Andy> which one's the missionary position
[00:42] <NSR-Andy> i've heard it's good
[9:42pm] <Shaun> you came first mike | <Shaun> yes gav, because I really want to fuck you
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 20:20 - 09 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Road tax is a tiny amount of tax take compared to fuel duty.

All it takes is for one politician to get a bee in his bonnet about it and we are screwed. Hence the UK ban on right hand side cars.

All the best

Keith

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 20:28 - 09 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Hence the UK ban on right hand side cars.

So all our cars are illegal then?

Or do you mean left hand drive cars? Wink

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 20:50 - 09 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

No, lhd cars are perfectly legal (I have one). I mean side cars where the bike part is on the left and the side car on the right.

All the best

Keith

Keith
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:10 - 09 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole thing is just a waste of time.
If it was to be made illegal, it would be a waste of government resources as they'll need to set up plenty of stuff to ENSURE that no single biker gets on a road he/she shouldn't be on.

It wont happen Razz

As for the pollution comment, it's pretty obvious that 2 strokes will be banned any time now. They've been banned from certain competitions and bike developers have been encouraged not to make them. Soon enough, we wont be allowed to use them on public roads (Take the USA for example.) So thats a first step into making bikes quieter and improving environment.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 21:21 - 09 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Even a 4 stroke bike is pathetic. I got an MOT station to do a test on my 1200 Bandit. At the time is was almost new, nicely run in. Even for the CO levels it would have barely passed the non cat car test and would fail the modern car test miserably. And that is hardly a highly tuned engine.

Even those bikes that do have cats normally have them stuck in the silencer where they will take ages to warm up and have any effect.

All the best

Keith

Mac
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:01 - 09 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people Shocked . Did they actually think people would vote yes?!

Shimmydude
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:52 - 09 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it was a desperate attempt to persuade us motorcyclists against using country lanes! You will find that the people making these allegations have never ridden a motorcycle and have probably never been in the country when a motorcycle has gone past! They just want something to moan about and motorcyclists are an easy target! Whatever next?

Mac
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 23:00 - 09 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shimmydude wrote:
They just want something to moan about and motorcyclists are an easy target! Whatever next?

The color of some biker's helmets are too bright.

Shocked

It wouldnt surprise me..

Shimmydude
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:13 - 09 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, yea! That is probably the next one on the 'really bright idea's' board! Laughing

Claud 14.7 to 1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:49 - 09 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Do all country roads have corners you have to take at about 30mph? I think not.

True what is your point?

Lound cans are illegal. They are the problem here. Stock bikes are not very much lounder than cars, if at all.

Making the loud can illegal has been done, and is all that needs to be done. You cannot restrict someones freedom to travel on their bike in the morning, anywhere...

However, some riders should be more considerate. I mean you redlining it at 8 o clock around houses (countryside, where there are houses) is a bit silly.

However later on in the day, anything goes. Deal with it Country bumpkins.lol

Mr C
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:47 - 10 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claud 14.7 to 1 wrote:

Anyway who cares, 180 is bull, end of.

why?

do tell

Claud 14.7 to 1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:07 - 10 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who cares about which bikes can do 180+? it doesnt have much to do with this topic anyway.

I didnt want to carry on arguing...
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 327 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3