Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Anyone used vinyl wrap on their bike? *Update. Tried it.*

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:11 - 12 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

The decals are slightly raised. I rather like the "stealth" look it gives.

It REALLY does stretch when you wack some heat into it though. I got all the middle stuck down then started stretching it diagonally from the top-front part of the tank to the lower-back part meaning any tucks were on the bit the saddle goes over.

You stretch the tight bits until they are the same length as the loose bits.

It's all one piece.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 5 years, 42 days between these two posts...

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:14 - 23 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit of a thread revival there! But had been very useful to me as I'm planning to wrap my tank. I did the rear door windows on my car, and that was a PITA, but I used quite a heavy vinyl, with none of these mircroholes.

As this thread had been dredged up, I might as well ask; all these years down the line, has the vinyl held up?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:23 - 23 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Khalaf_29 wrote:
Yeah I have used the vehicle wraps on my bike and that looks fantastic. I had installed that on my own and it turned out pretty nice. Had been installed quite neatly because I saw a lot of online videos for the entire process.

https://www.reactiongifs.com/r/spam.gif
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:15 - 25 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted wrote:
Bit of a thread revival there! But had been very useful to me as I'm planning to wrap my tank. I did the rear door windows on my car, and that was a PITA, but I used quite a heavy vinyl, with none of these mircroholes.

As this thread had been dredged up, I might as well ask; all these years down the line, has the vinyl held up?

I've replaced the tank with one that doesn't have a massive dent in but the whole tail piece of the bike is vinyl wrapped and holding out very well..

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:11 - 26 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a tank would be a massive PITA to wrap, i have done a fair bit of vinyle wrapping in my past (used to do car interiors, bonnets, spoilers etc) and even i wouldn't attempt a tank

For a start you would have to do it in multiple pieces, and you would very easily see the join lines

I did wrap my old CG125, but only the little bits of bodywork it had, and the front mudguard (wrapped in gloss carbon fibre)

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4250/34504496490_d9f63411da_b.jpgHonda CG 125 by Richard Smith, on Flickr

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4268/34851305776_0969ee1c99_b.jpgHonda CG 125 by Richard Smith, on Flickr

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:36 - 26 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
I think a tank would be a massive PITA to wrap, i have done a fair bit of vinyle wrapping in my past (used to do car interiors, bonnets, spoilers etc) and even i wouldn't attempt a tank

For a start you would have to do it in multiple pieces, and you would very easily see the join lines

Umm. Yes it is a massive PIA but no, you don't have to do it in multiple pieces PROVIDING you use decent quality wrap. There is a picture earlier in this thread of a VFR750 tank I wrapped using one piece. I've also done my enfield tank a couple of times using pretty shonky, cheapo wrap off ebay, again in one piece.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:07 - 26 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh, I didn't imagine you'd stand for being called a liar, but there we are.

Ste for mod, he wouldn't take that.

Or anything, really.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:20 - 26 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
rpsmith79 wrote:

Umm. Yes it is a massive PIA but no, you don't have to do it in multiple pieces PROVIDING you use decent quality wrap. There is a picture earlier in this thread of a VFR750 tank I wrapped using one piece. I've also done my enfield tank a couple of times using pretty shonky, cheapo wrap off ebay, again in one piece.

Good skills, and i stand corrected, though to some degree it depends on the tank, there was no way (with my skill level) i was going to wrap my CG125 tank in one piece without having massive creases around the lower regions due to the shape

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:09 - 26 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a CBF500 tank, feasible with limited experience and impatience?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:18 - 26 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted wrote:
How about a CBF500 tank, feasible with limited experience and impatience?

I think it would be a total bastard. Very angular.

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:58 - 27 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

I think it would be a total bastard. Very angular.

I was afraid you might say that! Might just go down the paint route then...

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:49 - 27 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use plastidip if you just want to experiment with colours and peel it off when finished/bored. Not petrol proof though.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 205 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2