Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 17:11 - 25 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

KLR600 wrote:

chris-red wrote:
This didn't mean to be a moan thread I just wondered why the cyclist groups have more extreme views than the Motorcycle groups considering how similar we are.

I wouldn't necessarily say they do. I guess there's a lot more cyclists than motorcyclists and a lot more governmental support and schemes for cyclists so perhaps there's just a higher volume of people making their views public. There's been plenty of similar public airings of motorcycle attitudes even quite recently with the go slow things on the motorways and with all this new licensing legislation coming in.

I'm not saying bikers don't protest but generally with a decent reason a lot of the cyclist's protests are for lack of a better word, mental.

How often to the motorcycle protests break down into violence rarely? never? Cycling protests have often led to several arrests before look at all the critical mass stuff.

I guess my point stemmed from that guys saying all the Olympic lanes should be cycle lanes. I often here such claims from cyclists about shutting off the city or whatever but you never here stuff like that from bikers. No one would genuinely put forward an idea that the zil lanes should become motorcycle only.

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 17:15 - 25 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
...No one would genuinely put forward an idea that the zil lanes should become motorcycle only.

I agree Thumbs Up
Shall we go for motorcycles and say government vehicles only then* Very Happy Wink

* for the hard of understanding, that's a joke. Although someone might run with it
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

KLR600
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:32 - 25 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
I guess my point stemmed from that guys saying all the Olympic lanes should be cycle lanes. I often here such claims from cyclists about shutting off the city or whatever but you never here stuff like that from bikers. No one would genuinely put forward an idea that the zil lanes should become motorcycle only.

I think cyclists in general have been given a lot of great stuff (cycle lanes keep popping up everywhere, being allowed in bus lanes etc etc) and I think generally they're quick to forget that it doesn't have to be like that and we could quite easily be ousted back onto the roads and all the cycle lanes painted over and be back as normal pavement/road or whatever.

I think when they're going on about these zil lanes their point of view maybe that because they've been getting all this preferential treatment with other cycle spaces that they think they're entitled to zil lane access. Does it make it right? No, but I think when they're so used to all this preferential treatment that it's like a kick in the teeth for them.

True you don't hear stuff like that from bikers but then I don't think bikers would want to close a city off or anything and generally bikers will protest/complain about other stuff. London bike parking for instance had loads of protests.

Bru
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:47 - 25 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am a cyclist who often goes through red lights and I understand that it causes anger from some people, the problem is there are people like that fuck-wit that knocked down serendipity who need to be culled and there are people who intelligently look at a situation like that, if that were you or I on a motorcycle we would slow for the end of the lorry and check round the rear of it not just poodle along as if there is not a care in the world. That behaviour will ultimately get you squashed.

Amazing. Imagine if there were more 'intelligent' car, lorry and motorcycle users out there, deciding for themselves whether or not to obey traffic signals. Psychometric testing to determine the victor in a dispute?

Maybe you didn't quite mean it as I read it, but your comment seems to underpin the attitudes of aggressive roadusers everywhere.

Redoko
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:47 - 25 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackw72 wrote:

If motorcycles were given the power to go through red lights then I would imagine 99% of the time it would be easy to judge whether it was safe to go or not. When you get to know the traffic lights and their order of working it becomes very easy to look for danger from one direction and it also makes it easy on a cycle to avoid that danger as a bicycle is a tiny target to hit in a car/bike.

But you haven't been given the power to go through red lights so wtfs your point?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

CoolBanana
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:49 - 25 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...I've lived outside of the UK for many years and would far prefer to see cyclists catered for as they are in Belgium, the Netherlands etc.

We have nowhere near the amount of cycle lanes that they have over there to make cycling safer for all. To say cyclists are well catered for here is an absolute joke as what we have is half measures in national terms and they have no choice but to share the road with much more dangerous, faster moving vehicles. You have to remember that children are allowed to cycle and we need to be able to protect them too - and ignoring them and suggesting they shouldn't be allowed on the roads is indicative of a very uncivilised, mongrel society when solutions are available to cater for this.

As someone who used to live and breathe cycling as a sport, I am very obviously pro-cycling and would like to see it organised so that everyone can safely commute on a bicycle if they so wished given that the culture within this country towards cyclists is very much reflected on this Thread by motorised vehicle users in that cyclists are not wanted on the roads.

That doesn't mean I don't get worked up about the idiot who jumps a red light and generally ignores the highway code. All road users should be responsible and tolerant of each other.

I don't commute anymore as I work from home so my transport use is now pretty much equally spread between my car, motorbike and cycle. I guess I'm less bothered by ignorant motorbikers and car drivers who don't want me cycling having lived in Africa and learning to ride with the dangers over there. But I'd still like to see more cycle education and lanes here for my kids etc.

snikks
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:21 - 25 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

CoolBanana wrote:
Pro-cycling stuff

Used to be a very keen cyclist, commuted to work on a bike more than once as well as completing three wild wales challenges. I don't have a problem with cyclists on the road, I have a problem with cyclists belting down pedestrian footpaths, cycling whilst chatting on their phones and weaving through pedestrians, zipping through red lights with no care for other road users, veering out into the road with no safety checks, forcing their way through pedestrians on the tow-path.. Never used to see this behaviour in North Wales, but in Oxford it's very much the norm & London appeared just as bad. They're a danger to themselves, pedestrians, other cyclists and motorcyclists.

mistergixer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:47 - 25 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came very close to squashing a number of lycra-clad cyclists yesterday - I was driving my car down the main road through my village, there were loads of parked cars on the other side of the road, I spotted a party of 4 cyclists (riding 2 abreast) coming the opposite way.

They waited until I was level with the parked cars (on their side of the road), before swinging out onto the 'wrong' side of the road.

Obviously, they expected me to stop for them, which wan't going to happen - as far as I'm concerned, if you have to use the opposite carriageway to pass an obstruction, then you should check it's clear first.

So, I didn't stop.

The first pair of cyclists had the common sense to pull into single file (leaving them enough room to pass the parked cars on their side of the carriageway), the second pair failed to comprehend this until the very last minute and had to swerve in and stop.

Through my open window I heard one of the cyclists protest (in a loud 'Mercan drawl) 'Oh my gaawd, did you just see that??' Clearly, they were expecting me to just pull to a stop and let them through in their formation.

How wrong they were.

Rolling Eyes
Space Monkey #7
Don Eladio is dead. His capos are dead. You have no one left to fight for. Fill your pockets and leave in peace. Or fight me and die!
Mistergixer's videos on YouTube
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

TheBikerStig
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 23:30 - 25 Jul 2012    Post subject: Re: Cyclist attitudes. Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
Reading about the Zil Lanes in under on the beeb and they posted this tweet from some idiot.

Quote:
"If London can give up some road lanes for the Olympics, it can give them up for good. After the Games, turn them into cycle lanes."

I often see this kind of nonsense coming from various cyclists aswell as call from some to ban all motorized traffic in London.

This sort of thing gets on my Tits are well I think the quote
Quote:
In his company's magazine, Add Lib, Addison Lee chairman John Griffin sparked widespread anger by suggesting that cyclist death and injury is inevitable as cyclist numbers increase, and is largely the fault of untrained cyclists.

Is fair and app. I know 3 people hurt cycling up London, ALL cycling up the inside of Buses/HGVS, which even I, having cycled in London once know is a big no no. 90% of them even have warning signs on the back of them.

https://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/bike-blog/2012/apr/24/addison-lee-protest-boycott-chairman
https://www.eta.co.uk/2012/07/18/ban-cars-every-sunday-make-way-bicycles

Take the Girl that hit Serendipity too, another moron plugged into an ipod, with no training breaking the law cuasing an accident which she will never pay for.

Anyway back on point after my mini rant, I feel an easy comparison can be drawn between us and cyclists. Too me it would seem they have vastly more extremist views as to how they should be treated compared to us. You never her bikers coming out with that kind of crap, we just deal with it. Why do cyclists feel like the world owes them something? Comparatively they should be given less seeing as they pay no road tax.

I can't believe there was outrage that they aren't allowed in the Olympic lanes either. The lanes design is to give them the Olympic crew fast road travel in the capital. Being stuck behind a cyclist doing 10-20mph is not conducive to this, allowing motorbikes would be a better idea as there footprint is similar to a cycle yet they have the speed to not be in the way. Did bikers get up in arms about this despite being a more logical choice to be allowed in the lanes, no, oh well that sucks I'm changing my route to work (which today was actually much quicker than before strangely).

All the Zil Lanes I have seen have been in the outside lane to where cycles rarely go so what's the big deal, they are affected less than the rest of us.

We put both up with the same shit from blind drivers and a quick glance at stats that show hospital admission due to road accidents in London shows that we have a similar chance of ending up in hospital - Cyclists 231, Motorcyclists 236.

I have no problem with cyclists in London in general, I don;t think they should be off the road, I do think Insurance and number plates are a good idea, but I see that is impracticable and never going to happen. I just think their horse is VERY high, with an unstable base.

https://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/8816055.jpg

Thats not a valid argument anyway. We all have the option of riding a bicycle and therefore we have the option of not paying road tax. Circumstances involving travelling distances are irrelevant. What I hate is people in cars that think they are cyclists. No need to drive 20-30 mph everywhere and LEAVE ME SOME **$£IN SPACE!!! What we need are police free zones. The way these work is basicaly there are designated areas where police are not allowed under any circumstances. This leaves us free to drag some numpty into such an area and deal with him or her accordingly.
Some say that he is the sole survivor of Atlantis, and that he refused to speed test a new Hayabusa this morning simply because there was no milk for his Brexit. All we know is hes called TheBikerStig.

flyer
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 08:52 - 26 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cycle a lot and obviously motor bike a lot. Id have to agree with 'UnknownStuntm...' theres nob heads in all manners of disguises. Id personally think motor bikes and cycle shave a lot in common, especially for city use. Get along folks Smile

mfactor
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 09:12 - 26 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Righto I am biased about this but with reason.

I drive for a living (20 years PCV at the moment) and have used a push-bike for work for long periods during that time .

As someone has said above there are idiots using all forms of transport, but with all apologies to the good ones, cyclist are without a doubt the worst road users I come across on a day to day basis driving in the city.

examples this week only

Cyclist comes down side road to the left does not stop despite my dirty great big bus being about 10 feet away doing 40mph, he looked, saw me and thought fook it I will do it anyway, causing me to brake heavily to avoid him .

Cyclist overtakes me in slow moving traffic on the pavement (no problem with that) but then jumps the bike into the road 2 foot in front of me just as I am accelerating as traffic clears, cue more heavy braking

An everyday occurrence on two stretches of road we use that HAVE cycle lanes is that cyclists DON'T use the lanes because they are 20 foot longer than the roads (NSL busy roads)

As I said I see stupid driving from all road users but the above is the norm for most cyclists, so much so I leaned out of the window on one occasion to thank a cyclist for his good manners as it is so rare, he thought I was a loony I am sure.

Low points this year

Cyclist going between bus and curb whilst I am unloading (at bus stop), cue bike v granny collision.

Cyclist undertaking HGV that was clearly turning left , cue poorly cyclist, I actually had a moment of schadenfreude on that one as he had come up the inside of me and as I could see the HGV was going to turn left so beeped my horn to warn him, only to get the finger.

Cyclist going under my bus (He was OK thank god) , Why, riding nohanded whist listening to Ipod and attempting to answer mobile phone.

CoolBanana
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 09:31 - 26 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

snikks wrote:

... I have a problem with cyclists belting down pedestrian footpaths, cycling whilst chatting on their phones and weaving through pedestrians, zipping through red lights with no care for other road users, veering out into the road with no safety checks, forcing their way through pedestrians on the tow-path..

Couldn't agree more! I detest cyclists who give the rest of us a bad name by ignoring common road courtesy - cyclists have no excuse not to use the same road rules that motorists have to.

I may be pro-cycling but only for those who are responsible. I ride every morning and just today, on one of my preferred country lanes where the road narrowed I pulled tight into the hedge so that a truck could make its way through comfortably and got an appreciative thumbs up from the driver. I've seen other cyclists ride in the middle of the same lane and cause car's to stop to let the cyclist squeeze past hoping the bike doesn't scratch their car. To my mind it is just courteous for the cyclist to pull over and let the car go by - safer for all. We all have a right to the road but should be tolerant towards each other - as a car driver and motorbike rider I appreciate the frustrations cyclists can pose and do my bit to lessen that when I'm out on the cycle.

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 09:32 - 26 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a serious note (despite my flippant posts above) I do think the cyclist lobby are more organised than the motorcycle lobby.

Thinking about it they can put lots of happy smiling faces on the street and in front of the media's cameras. Lots of families too with their ikle kiddies enjoying this green transport plus it's healthy exercise as well.

Let's not forget the kudos of the cycling team success at the Olympics, World Championships and recent Tour de France.

What do motorcyclist offer, black leather clad helmet wearing intimidating cyborgs riding big noisy machinery.

On motorcycle racing success I suspect the general public could still only name Barry Sheene as a British champion racer Shocked So hardly in the public conciousness. Plus motorcycles are dangerous, when was the last time a road was closed due to a bicycle accident? (ok, I'm sure it happens, just doesn't make national traffic reports as often, if ever).

Having worked in the Netherlands they have a more laid back attitude to bicycles. I admit it's a cultural thing and I doubt we could get that here.

Thumbs Up

Alpha-9
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:58 - 26 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to see the estate agents on monday, was 2 cyclists riding next to each other blocking the whole lane doing like 10mph

y u do dis

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 11:09 - 26 Jul 2012    Post subject: Re: Cyclist attitudes. Reply with quote

TheBikerStig wrote:

Thats not a valid argument anyway. We all have the option of riding a bicycle and therefore we have the option of not paying road tax. Circumstances involving travelling distances are irrelevant. What I hate is people in cars that think they are cyclists. No need to drive 20-30 mph everywhere and LEAVE ME SOME **$£IN SPACE!!! What we need are police free zones. The way these work is basicaly there are designated areas where police are not allowed under any circumstances. This leaves us free to drag some numpty into such an area and deal with him or her accordingly.

Another cyclist more mental ideas, thread proven?

BTW I too like cycling I have done the London to Brighton and the London to Southend. Now most of my cycling is offroad Thumbs Up

paddlesat16
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 11:43 - 26 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why cyclist stop at the lights, cus round our way they all ride on the pavements and nobody says anything about it. Laughing

Alpha-9
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:49 - 26 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

paddlesat16 wrote:
I don't know why cyclist stop at the lights, cus round our way they all ride on the pavements and nobody says anything about it. Laughing

Running red lights is just stupid.
Riding up to the red light, going over the crossing and riding down the pavement till the next bit of clear road I can deal with, that's not hurting anyone if there's noone in the way, and they're not potentially killing themselves as much

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:41 - 26 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some coherent thinking with the cycle network would be a great help.

I fairly regularly cycle in York and I now refuse to use the roadside cycle lanes, they were designed by some absolute moron.

They leave and rejoin the carriageway and they cross side roads all over the place leading to right of way conflicts, pedestrians have to stand in the cycle path to cross the road and sometimes they just stop abruptly for no apparent reason.

The newer ones carry cyclists round with the pedestrians inside a barrier part way down the bigger side roads then suddenly all traces of the cycle lane disappear for the pedestrian crossing, then it reappears again after as if they had no idea how to deal with it.

Here is a classic example. This is brand new, I just ride along the road, it's safer.

I actually felt compelled to talk to one woman the other day. She was clearly one of the better off York residents judging by the "classic" style shopper bike she was riding. She went merrily wobbling up the inside of a bendy bus as it went round a left hand bend. I pulled alongside her once we were on the river cycle lane to explain a few salient facts about the way these busses manouver and the visability the driver has. She had not the slightest idea how much danger she was putting herself in.

nickGT
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:44 - 26 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cycle into central London every working day of the week and generally don't have any real issues.

I would be the first to admit it is dangerous but that's a risk that you have to take. Cycling conditions won't get any better any time soon so it's put up or shut up IMO.

I feel that the motorbike training I have had has made me a more proficient cyclist and I often ride my push bike exactly as I would my motorbike. I'm not one to cut lights but I will place myself in what I deem to be the safest posistion. If that means being infront of the lines of traffic at the lights that is what I will do.

There is a large portion of cyclists in London that simply don't have a clue what day of the week it is. Let alone what they are doing on the roads. They change lanes without checking and just generally ride like twats. It's often those lot that find themselves sprawed out across the road claiming that 'London's not safe!'

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 14:05 - 26 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
...pedestrians have to stand in the cycle path to cross the road...

My claim to fame is I've walked on the marked cycle path over the Brooklyn Bridge Very Happy

I guess they're used to tourists just looking up and any bikes just avoided us. I don't think, despite the New York 'attitude' I've heard about I got shouted at either.

...but yes, cycle lanes are a nightmare and very badly planned. I suspect planned by someone who doesn't actually go on 2 wheels. I think councils get EU money for them so are keen to put them in if only a metre long (and pocket the rest of the money no doubt for a chief executive's bonus).

There was a report recently about cycle lanes actually being more dangerous. Car drivers drive closer to cyclist in a cycle lane because they deem the cycle in its own space. On the road they'd go round them with a greater clearance.

stinkwheel wrote:
Here is a classic example. This is brand new, I just ride along the road, it's safer....

I know that road! It's quite close to the Triumph dealer and Jax motorcycles.

Thumbs Up

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:22 - 26 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

map wrote:

...but yes, cycle lanes are a nightmare and very badly planned. I suspect planned by someone who doesn't actually go on 2 wheels.

There was a report recently about cycle lanes actually being more dangerous. Car drivers drive closer to cyclist in a cycle lane because they deem the cycle in its own space. On the road they'd go round them with a greater clearance.

It's one instance where I think sending someone from the council roads department on a fact finding mission would be a good idea.

Send a couple of the road designers for a week cycling in Majorca in February/March time and they'll see how good it could be. They have cycle path "zebra crossings" over there anywhere a cycle path crosses a road. Traffic on both the main road and side road yields to cyclists. The drivers will also patiently follow a bike on the road until such time as it is safe to overtake, even up some of the twisty mountain ascents.

All the major trunk roads have a seperate cycle lane located to one side of the highway.

Mind you, the most fukwitted piece of cycle lane I've seen in York is the roundabout at the top of Monkgate on the way out to Huntington. Not on google earth yet unfortunately.

Shielder
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 15:38 - 26 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing that really pisses me off is those cyclists who ignore the highway code. The thing is, they know that if anything happens, it won't be their fault. No matter what they've done wrong (gone through a red light, gone the wrong way down a one way street etc), it won't be their fault. It will always be the fault of the poor sod who hit them.

Another thing that annoys me is the cyclists that ride down the walkway outside our house. We have a staggered barrier at one end that is supposed to stop them riding down the path. It is a minor inconvenience to these idiots. I've had a stand up argument with a number of cyclists who have nearly hit my kids by riding down this path at speed.

Can you surgically remove a whole bike from up someone's arse?

Mind you, for some of these cyclists, they seem to think that the sun is up there, so a bike shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:16 - 26 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shielder wrote:
The thing that really pisses me off is those cyclists who ignore the highway code. The thing is, they know that if anything happens, it won't be their fault.

On the rat runs into the City of London the police occasionally hang around at a set of lights & nick light jumping cyclists. They usually have a little herd of the buggers queuing for their bollocking.

Saw a beut of a bicycle crash on Tuesday night, I'm waiting at a red light on a cross roads when a cyclist comes steaming up my inside obviously intending to jump the light, changes his mind at the last second and does a 80 degree stoppie. The cyclist behind him splats into the back of him and bounces on to the pavement like a skittle. No one hurt (or angry either Shocked ), it was bloody hilarious. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jackw72
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:19 - 26 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

map wrote:
jackw72 wrote:
I am a cyclist who often goes through red lights ...
If motorcycles were given the power to go through red lights then I would imagine 99% of the time it would be easy to judge whether it was safe to go or not...

Whatever happened to the lobby for allowing left turn at a red traffic light?

Sorry that's off-topic but it was a thought prompted by this thread.

Perfectly viable in some situations and is being used in many other countries worldwide. I don't think anyone would disagree that being able to turn left at some reds would be useful overall not just to congestion and the like.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jackw72
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:27 - 26 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bru wrote:
Quote:
I am a cyclist who often goes through red lights and I understand that it causes anger from some people, the problem is there are people like that fuck-wit that knocked down serendipity who need to be culled and there are people who intelligently look at a situation like that, if that were you or I on a motorcycle we would slow for the end of the lorry and check round the rear of it not just poodle along as if there is not a care in the world. That behaviour will ultimately get you squashed.

Amazing. Imagine if there were more 'intelligent' car, lorry and motorcycle users out there, deciding for themselves whether or not to obey traffic signals. Psychometric testing to determine the victor in a dispute?

Maybe you didn't quite mean it as I read it, but your comment seems to underpin the attitudes of aggressive roadusers everywhere.

Traffic lights suck as a general rule and to me it is much better to have roundabouts where traffic lights are (unless the situation calls for them), they actually cause you to look and think about the situation and make a judgement (just like going through a red light Razz).

I don't fully understand the latter part of your post either, if you mean I am sticking up for aggressive riding/driving then yes I believe that it has its place and it is more dangerous to be defensive and hesitant than positive and aggressive.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 267 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3