Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

jackw72
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:52 - 26 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redoko wrote:
jackw72 wrote:

If motorcycles were given the power to go through red lights then I would imagine 99% of the time it would be easy to judge whether it was safe to go or not. When you get to know the traffic lights and their order of working it becomes very easy to look for danger from one direction and it also makes it easy on a cycle to avoid that danger as a bicycle is a tiny target to hit in a car/bike.

But you haven't been given the power to go through red lights so wtfs your point?

Trying to appeal to a larger audience, trying to put the point across that if we could we would and we only cannot because imaginary laws say so.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 16:53 - 26 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Mind you, the most fukwitted piece of cycle lane I've seen in York is the roundabout at the top of Monkgate on the way out to Huntington. Not on google earth yet unfortunately.

Is it this one?

I always though this one at Heworth was odd!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:21 - 26 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

map wrote:

Is it this one?

I always though this one at Heworth was odd!

Ahh. That's the one.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 18:43 - 26 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to cycle everywhere, before I got a car. I also used to obey red lights, which I noticed was something of a rarity.

Also, I believe it was Alpha who suggested that they should stick to the pavements. It's actually illegal to do so. I vaguely remember there being some clause regarding children's bikes, and the definition being based on wheel diameter, but I may be mistaken.

Either way, regardless of who's happiest dishing out the sweeping judgements, there will always be a percentage of people who act like a dick on the road; at least with cyclists, it's not at high speeds. While some form of basic training would be beneficial to most, proper regulation would be better. This would require a couple of significant changes to our culture, though - not least of which would be for people to remember how to act like civilised human beings*.

e.g. not causing the police to be called out thanks to someone pulling a knife out, because the other guy said his girlfriend was fat, or some other such idiocy. If you're going to fly off the handle over words, then learn how to actually fucking fight back with them - don't drag it down to a fist/knife/glass-fight, just because you've got a three-hundred word vocabulary.

EazyDuz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:33 - 26 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really noticed a bad attitude cyclist.
Plenty of cager cunts though.

Timmeh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:46 - 26 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

#cool story 1

I've had a cyclist crash into me. But that was before he got hit by a bus. He was so shitfaced he didn't even notice his bust limbs, so fair play to him.

I LOL'd

Also have come close to punching a few at the lights when they filter up on your inside and then block your exit. I don't bother bibbing or revving, I just open my lid and shout 'OI CUNT' rather loudly.
20:22:30 BLUEX5: i would love to be forced to undergo a**l plugging with different sizes
20:48:18 Temeluchus: comp you hunk of smouldering homos3x you

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:47 - 27 Jul 2012    Post subject: Re: Cyclist attitudes. Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
Why do cyclists feel like the world owes them something? Comparatively they should be given less seeing as they pay no road tax.

It's VED, not a road tax. They have zero emissions and would therefore be exempt in any situation. Does a Toyota Prius have less right to be on the road than a Ford Focus?
VED goes into a general pot (not specifically used for roads), road repairs and maintenance will generally be funded from council tax contributions, so if a cyclist pays council tax then they ARE invariably paying towards the upkeep of the roads. They are fully entitled to be there.

I agree with a lot of what else you say, but the tax comment is overused by bicycle haters and makes you sound ill informed.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 11:13 - 02 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump for this

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-19090898

Will cyclists listen to Wiggo?

'Help ourselves'
Wiggins said making it illegal to cycle without a helmet would make the roads safer "because ultimately, if you get knocked off and you ain't got a helmet on, then how can you kind of argue".

The fatal crash happened near the Olympic Park
He added: "[People] shouldn't be riding along with iPods and phones and things on and [they] should have lights and all those things.

"So I think when there's laws passed for cyclists, then you're protected and you can say, well, I've done everything to be safe."

He added: "It's dangerous and London is a busy city and a lot of traffic. I think we have to help ourselves sometimes.

"I haven't lived in London for 10 to 15 years now and it's got a lot busier since I was riding a bike as a kid round here, and I got knocked off several times.

"But at the end of the day we've all got to co-exist on the roads. Cyclists are not ever going to go away, as much as drivers moan, and as much as cyclists maybe moan about certain drivers they are never going to go away, so there's got to be a bit of give and take."

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:34 - 02 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was in primary school in the 1970s (aged about 10) we did an optional cycle proficiency test, basically like the first half of the CBT. I reckon if that was made a compulsory part of the primary school curriculum cycling standards would improve significantly since kids that age tend to retain what they're taught like a secondary reflex.

For example, to this day if I do a left or right turn on a bicycle I instinctively do a proper hand signal - arm at 90 degrees to body, palm facing forward, it's a learned reflex and actually hard NOT to do it.

Something like this would achieve far more than any amount of legislation which lets face it is ignored by the dangerous idiots anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:38 - 02 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, mandatory helmets, because pedalists care so much about obeying road traffic laws. Laughing

I don't wear a helmet while pedalling, because I don't bloody well want to mumble jumble risk compensation bumble.

Pedalist pepper sprayed, hunted down and rammed by cop car in order to protect him from the dangers of not wearing a helmet. Thumbs Up

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 16:13 - 02 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Right, mandatory helmets, because pedalists care so much about obeying road traffic laws. Laughing

I don't wear a helmet while pedalling, because I don't bloody well want to mumble jumble risk compensation bumble.

Pedalist pepper sprayed, hunted down and rammed by cop car in order to protect him from the dangers of not wearing a helmet. Thumbs Up

I'm all for that Laughing

Derivative
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:57 - 04 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd call it an issue with incentives.

As a motorist the general understanding is that if you run enough red lights, undertake enough, etc, you will be caught (either by a camera or a police officer), in extreme cases your licence could be revoked, and it will be incredibly simple for ANPR or other systems to stop you effectively driving again for months/years.

By contrast a cyclist effectively has no penalty as far as I'm aware. Other than a monetary fine (which motorists also have to pay).

Add to that the fact that the term 'cyclist' may as well be equivalent to 'citizen', given that almost everyone has used a bicycle at some point. It's like saying 'Internet user'. Some people do more than others but the group really has nothing in common.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 261 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3