Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

3D Printing for great justice. Now with a shoddy video!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 18, 19, 20  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:33 - 27 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive seen people using these things on YouTube to make the plastic parts for other printers. It looks pretty complicated and fiddly getting everything lined up properly, how soon do you think you will be able to start printing?

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 19:11 - 27 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

waffles wrote:
Ive seen people using these things on YouTube to make the plastic parts for other printers. It looks pretty complicated and fiddly getting everything lined up properly, how soon do you think you will be able to start printing?

After getting the time estimates on my GS so fantastically wrong, I'm reluctant to suggest an estimated point of completion.

If my current rate of progress is anything to go by, then I'm guessing I should have it talking to the computer and hopefully spitting plastic out by Monday or Tuesday. As to getting it to print with any precision, I couldn't comfortably make an estimate.

As to levels of fiddliness, I'd say it's on a par with doing a bank of CV carbs. Building it's a pain in the arse, but it's not the worst thing I've done in terms of complexity of design. I think the forst one of these that I built won that award by a long way. THis was before they'd started selling kits for them - I think the only parts that we could actually buy that were specific to the RepRap were the bare circuit boards. Good times. Laughing

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:56 - 27 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well whenever it gets done I am looking forward to seeing it working! I don't blame you for being fairly vague with the completion estimate as anything could happen!

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 20:00 - 27 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm leaving it at this point for tonight; the next stage requires me to solder things, and I'm a little stoned, and I've had a pint of Adnams BroadSide, which is guaranteed to kill any competence whatsoever with a soldering iron.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8020/7657810856_62792d66ba_z.jpg
I've got the stepper motors on and the Z-Axis screw drive is balanced up as best I could do. I'll be going over everything again tomorrow, but since I've got to drive my parents and sister to the airport, it'll be from around lunchtime onwards, I think.
Once I've gotten everything properly lined up, straightened out, balanced and torqued, then I'll make a start on the heated print bed.

beast rider
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 20:34 - 27 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked I want one, I have no use for it or any idea how to get it to work but I want one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kaneda
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 23:11 - 27 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowhere.elysium wrote:
I'm leaving it at this point for tonight; the next stage requires me to solder things, and I'm a little stoned, and I've had a pint of Adnams BroadSide, which is guaranteed to kill any competence whatsoever with a soldering iron.

I know that feeling all too well, did a gig which required starting to build the PA and lighting rig at 10am. By 4am the next day, we were still building, and one of the cables to the sound line array had snapped at the connector. Firing up a butane soldering iron after working for 18 hours straight did nothing for my (generally cack-handed) ability. Keep it up, it looks awesome, really looking forward to seeing the finished result, and the finishing of the dash. Thumbs Up

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 16:30 - 28 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moar progress!

I'm now approaching the end of the mechanical aspect of the build - only got the hot end to work on, and then it's all electronics afterwards.
So, picking up form yesterday - got the headers soldered on to the PCB heater. Notice the tiny jumper in front of the three-way screw terminal. I nearly missed it, which would've been a massive pain in the arse.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8288/7662295470_fc53261ba6_z.jpg
The heated bed itself was in a pretty shocking state when i got it - I'm guessing that water had gotten to it in storage, or something; it was coated in crap on one side. Here's the comparison between the pre and post-scrub condition. As you can see on the upper right, there's a ton of weird smearing and watermarks.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8007/7662313892_44b1d5e22e_z.jpg
Fully scrubbed up and screwed to the PCB heater and the heatshield (on the far side).

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8432/7662312638_a152a19254_z.jpg
And mounted to the chassis.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8423/7662297858_f7c8e29afd_z.jpg
Extruder head stage one.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8153/7662310498_f7dd33ba8f_z.jpg
Ah. The extruder feed line. This was a complete bastard to get right - you have to compress and screw a 4mm tubular section of ptfe into a threaded steel end. Not a problem in of itself, but reaming out the tube so it can then accommodate the PLA filament was a lengthy job, to say the least.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8009/7662299500_6d6fb8d25a_z.jpg
Got through the worst of that, and mounted up the sprung bearing carrier, which keeps the filament properly aligned and lightly compressed against the feeder mechanism.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7274/7662301412_5d6484be7b_z.jpg
All mounted up.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8163/7662308782_bbd921c414_z.jpg
Really visually confusing profile shot Laughing

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8006/7662306266_8833065cdf_z.jpg
And an overhead, just for the sake of completion.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8164/7662303734_71b9a26ebb_z.jpg
Yes, I know my workspace is messy as hell. No, I don't care. It's not a problem for me.

I may have a crack at doing the hot end build today, but after having to do the East London to Stansted run twice today, I'm pretty tired out at the moment. I dropped my folks off at the airport in the car, and then my sister realised that she'd left her glasses behind, thus requiring me to get back to their place, and then return to the airport on the bike within an alarmingly short period of time. Much fun.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 21:40 - 28 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished doing the initial assembly on the business end of the printer:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7257/7664074952_8bb558a0b3_z.jpg
The larger hole in the lower photo is for the heat-generating resistor, and the smaller one is for the thermistor. Quite an elegant design, in my opinion.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8008/7664077206_fbef9809b3_z.jpg
Not much other progress to report. I'm debating using CAT5 cable, instead of the supplied ribbon cable, largely because it's a bit more robust, and I've got a lot more of it, so I can experiment with different routing options.

Aff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:48 - 28 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

.35 or .5 nozzle?

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 21:56 - 28 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aff wrote:
.35 or .5 nozzle?

You know, I'm not actually sure Laughing

:edit: it would appear to be a 0.5mm nozzle.

Aff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:01 - 28 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it turns out to be 0.35 or less you need to be really careful about keeping the filament clean, I've lost 3 hot ends due to the .35 nozzles getting blocked by dust then imploding.

Aff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:02 - 28 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowhere.elysium wrote:

I would still add a filament cleaner as soon as your printing, it doesn't take much to block them.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 22:10 - 28 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aff wrote:
nowhere.elysium wrote:

I would still add a filament cleaner as soon as your printing, it doesn't take much to block them.

From what I've seen, the length of the Huxley's melt chamber is distinctly shorter than the Mendel's, which should minimise the chances of either tube deformation or filament buildup.

Aff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:20 - 28 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

A short melt chamber wont affect deformation or build up too much, deformation is normally caused by a poor thermal barrier between the hot end and cold end. Build up is normally caused by blockages and/or crystallised (overheated) PLA/ABS in the nozzle.

The main reason for different length melt chambers is so that you can customise the extruder to your needs.

e.g. A long melt chamber will give a greatly increased print speed. However the drawback is a greatly increased ooze rate, which you cant really stop.

A short melt chamber gives much higher accuracy and allows you to do much thinner layers in comparison to the nozzle diameter, it also has a very low ooze rate. You pay for this with greatly sacrificed print speed.

Thumbs Up

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 22:47 - 28 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aff wrote:
A short melt chamber wont affect deformation or build up too much, deformation is normally caused by a poor thermal barrier between the hot end and cold end. Build up is normally caused by blockages and/or crystallised (overheated) PLA/ABS in the nozzle...

...A short melt chamber gives much higher accuracy and allows you to do much thinner layers in comparison to the nozzle diameter, it also has a very low ooze rate. You pay for this with greatly sacrificed print speed.

Fair enough. I was just parroting the justification offered by the RepRap wiki. In truth, I'll happily take precision over speed any day.

Aff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:58 - 28 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't a criticism. Just sharing my experience. And I've learnt the hard way to keep the filament clean Laughing

I had the same thoughts as you when I made my first. But its very situational, high accuracy is brilliant when you need a good finish or are doing difficult prints. But it soon gets boring watching it infill at 30mm/s. That's why I changed to an all-rounder so I can't print at 120mm/s but still get a relativity good quality. In an ideal world it would be nice to have easily interchangeable hot ends.

Anyways I'll shutup now and stop overtaking your thread. Laughing

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 23:13 - 28 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't take it as such, mate. I definitely agree on the whole 'slow printing = boring printing' thing, but as I say, quality is the important thing to me. Given the size of the objects that I'm going to be working with, I require precision - I'm also interested printing functional mechanisms. I've already got a few designs sketched out, which will make use of precision gearing at the very least.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:54 - 28 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious about this thing.

Does it use plastic that would be robust enough to replicate a fairly fine thread?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Noxious89123
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:59 - 28 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool project, will be watching this!

What are you thinking of using it for? Something for your dash?

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 00:05 - 29 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
I'm curious about this thing.

Does it use plastic that would be robust enough to replicate a fairly fine thread?

It can do functional threads that approximate M10, give or take. RepRaps tend to generate a sound understanding of gearing, if you're looking to control precise motion.
Noxious89123 wrote:
Cool project, will be watching this!

What are you thinking of using it for? Something for your dash?

Yeah, I'm intending to print the case for the dash unit with it.

Last edited by nowhere.elysium on 00:17 - 29 Jul 2012; edited 1 time in total

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:11 - 29 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of low volume reproduction of plastic car parts (eg gear lever knobs) that are long since NLA.

If it could be done, there's a semi lucrative market out there, that could be tapped.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 00:28 - 29 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
I was thinking of low volume reproduction of plastic car parts (eg gear lever knobs) that are long since NLA.

If it could be done, there's a semi lucrative market out there, that could be tapped.

Yeah, that could be do-able. I'd need some half-decent reference photos to be able to work up a model.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:39 - 29 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowhere.elysium wrote:
Shaft wrote:

Yeah, that could be do-able. I'd need some half-decent reference photos to be able to work up a model.

To make it viable (these classic car freaks are sticklers for originality) an original part would need to be supplied as the reference, but I think that could be possible, if it lead to a supply of parts.

It's not exactly fast moving, but if you could build up a portfolio of bits, it could be a handy sideline; as an example, Triumph Stag gear knobs weren't available for a long time, but there's a repro part on the market now and they go for 50 quid a pop.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 09:21 - 29 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
To make it viable (these classic car freaks are sticklers for originality) an original part would need to be supplied as the reference, but I think that could be possible, if it lead to a supply of parts.

It's not exactly fast moving, but if you could build up a portfolio of bits, it could be a handy sideline; as an example, Triumph Stag gear knobs weren't available for a long time, but there's a repro part on the market now and they go for 50 quid a pop.

Well, once I'm up and running, I'm more than happy to collaborate on such a project.

Aff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:33 - 29 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that you would have to coat it in something to make it look original, you will always have visible layers otherwise.

About threads - An M10 is printable but not very strong, the main problem is that you will have a single layer on the tip of the thread with a very small contact layer with the layer below it. This means that the threads will break down under any sort of usable pressure.

However you can be very successful with internal threads if planned properly. If printed with the "grain" of the print (hole printed from base to surface), screws will self tap in-between the layers and create a fairly strong thread. If you print the hole against the "grain" (hole printed as a side profile), you can run a tap down the hole, if done at the correct speed you will melt a perfect thread into the hole and this can be very strong.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 267 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 2 of 20