Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

3D Printing for great justice. Now with a shoddy video!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 21:13 - 26 Jul 2012    Post subject: 3D Printing for great justice. Now with a shoddy video! Reply with quote

:UPDATE:
It lives and prints. Great success. See the end of the thread for more details.

Well, OP is delivering.
My RepRap kit arrived yesterday, and I've made a start on the assembly process.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8287/7644996802_8e69969636_z.jpg

This is the closest you'll get to an unboxing video from me, so soak it up while it lasts, kids.

For those of you that don't know or didn't read the links in the other project thread I've got running, a RepRap is a DIY 3D printer - it uses molten plastic to print solid objects. The reason it's called a RepRap is that it's capable of self-replication (to a certain extent), and it's a Rapid Prototyper.

Because this whole project is open source, there will be a few rough edges, and a whole ton of building and calibrating going on, thanks to the fact that although this is capable of producing high-quality prints, it requires a high quality of assembly, which usually takes a couple of attempts to get right. However, to give you an idea of the general quality of prints that come out of these things, I decided to take a couple of worst-case misprint photos:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7278/7651994102_42b4f1bca1_z.jpg

Not the greatest start, one might think - however, to lend it a little context and scale:

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8013/7651993428_07ff2bbbf0_z.jpg

Yes, that's a typical six-and-a-bit millimetre screwdriver bit, so no - it's not a huge misprint, and that was the worst one I could find in the whole set. Sweet Cool

Anyway - to business. I'm not going to go through a step-by-step 'how to build a RepRap' sort of thread, but there will be tons of pictures involved, just to give an idea as to what's going into building this thing.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8433/7651986624_b481fea46b_z.jpg
First of the exterior frame spars.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8433/7651989104_182b563e77_z.jpg
Followed by the second.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8421/7651989500_24f980a39d_z.jpg
Starting to form the first triangular frame.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8145/7651979682_03d786d1cf_z.jpg
Completed triangular frame.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7128/7651993152_82cff8194b_z.jpg
The inevitable part two.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8281/7651993802_b3305ab163_z.jpg
This is where things start to get fiddly. According to the build instructions, the plastic vertices in the triangular frams should be as close to 207mm apart as is possible. I spent about forty minutes making damn sure that they were exactly 207mm apart. Massive pain in the arse, but it's worth it in the long run, because it makes print calibration significantly less painful.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8430/7651991268_d5f90ce326_z.jpg
After a not insignificant amount of sodding about, I got both of the triangular frames properly spaced out, aligned, and tightened up appropriately.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8025/7651988164_f9fa12c023_z.jpg
Setting up the crossbars.

Due to the amount of holding together and tightening up involved, I didn't get a shot of the lower crossbars fitted, at least not until I'd fitted the top ones, too:

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8291/7651991516_bda3c8133a_z.jpg
Lower and upper crossbars, with the Z-axis motor mounts fitted.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7272/7651984536_a54d2806de_z.jpg
Z-axis alignment rods, and the bottom brace fitted.

This is as far as I got this evening, because I don't want to rush it and bugger things up. I also need to get some more M6 serrated washers, too, which is a bit of a pain, but not the end of the world.

Tomorrow morning will see me finishing the bulk of the chassis, and doing as much calibration as I can before fitting up any of the electronics.

Last edited by nowhere.elysium on 20:46 - 26 Sep 2012; edited 2 times in total

Aff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:24 - 26 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you not have printed pulleys for the Y Carriage belt? And what parts are you using serrated washers for? In my experience they just cause the layers of the printed parts to de-laminate, better off using plain or crinkle washers and relying on the compression of the plastic.

But good luck, the mechanical build is the easy bit Laughing

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 21:30 - 26 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aff wrote:
Do you not have printed pulleys for the Y Carriage belt? And what parts are you using serrated washers for? In my experience they just cause the layers of the printed parts to de-laminate, better off using plain or crinkle washers and relying on the compression of the plastic.

But good luck, the mechanical build is the easy bit Laughing

Yeah, I remember just how bad the early versions of the software were Laughing
I've not started on the Y Axis yet - I'm going to make sure that I've got this part done as best as is possible first.

The build guide recommends the use of serrated washers, but I can replace them with plain ones, if needs be.

Aff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:48 - 26 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was talking about the pulleys for the Y Carriage belt those 2 bearings should either have printed pulleys on them or a fender washer either side. It's a pain having to unthread everything when you forget something. Trust me Laughing

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 21:53 - 26 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aff wrote:
I was talking about the pulleys for the Y Carriage belt those 2 bearings should either have printed pulleys on them or a fender washer either side.

Ah, right. The Y Axis pulley has got a slotted mount, so you don't need to thread it on before fitting the crossbars.* Either that, or the wiki has taken a leaf from Haynes, and carefully inserted subtle lies when it thinks you're not looking Laughing

*See here

Blackwolf
Burgerfist

PostPosted: 22:02 - 26 Jul 2012    Post subject: RepRap Reply with quote

MOAR!!!

Aff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:03 - 26 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen that design before. What iteration mendle is it?

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 22:07 - 26 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aff wrote:

It's a Huxley, not a Mendel - latest model thereof.

Blackwolf - there'll be more in the morning. I'm pretty tired at the moment, and don't want to make mistakes.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:07 - 26 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackwolf wrote:
MOAR!!!

^^^What he said....and where's my buttplug?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 22:10 - 26 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
...and where's my buttplug?

Not sure, but I last saw it in the hands of Ariel, and he was muttering things about chilli.

Aff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:12 - 26 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowhere.elysium wrote:
Aff wrote:

It's a Huxley, not a Mendel - latest model thereof.

Blackwolf - there'll be more in the morning. I'm pretty tired at the moment, and don't want to make mistakes.

Oh I thought it was the camera making it look that skinny Laughing . I've never seen a huxley build before. Should be interesting. Thumbs Up [/list]

Blackwolf
Burgerfist

PostPosted: 22:12 - 26 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowhere.elysium wrote:
f.

I don't want excuses.. I want moar!!

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 11:03 - 27 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incoming!
I've gotten the bulk of the Y-Axis built now, although I haven't done the belt drive yet, because that's a pain in the arse, and I need something to eat before I even consider it.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8006/7655352522_dcca3ae1f0_z.jpg
Well, got the frame assembled.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7259/7655346612_a6bcb27a91_z.jpg
Spent an awful lot of time straightening the frame out, which is a far fiddlier job than it has any right to be. I get that the photos look largely identical, but there's a DIY plumb bob hanging off the right hand side of the frame, which got an incredible amount of use, along with that spirit level.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8017/7655347638_eb8a38d5ec_z.jpg
Got the Y-Axis sled assembled.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7107/7655350132_70d1e7921a_z.jpg
Fitted to the slider rods, and also mounted up the stepper motor and pulley mount.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8288/7655348920_0d1b33e0fd_z.jpg
Also mounted up the idler pulley. It's now just waiting on the drive belt, which will also require a lot of alignment and straightening.

I've got to go out now, but when I get back, I'll crack on with the build.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:41 - 27 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can barely handle Lego, fuck doing that Laughing

Very interesting though... will keep a watch on this Mr. Green
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

slyrob
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:50 - 27 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

you absolute bastard! I was supposed to be owning a prusa mendel by this week which has unfortunately fallen through. I shall be watching with great interest. ( I do a lot of SLA printing currently but outsource it as wax printing equipment at the resolution I need is in the region of 30k upwards Crying or Very sad ) I think we met at ace a while back but this wasn't a subject that came up, let us know how much of an arse calibration and set up etc is as I shall shortly be going through the same process. Can't wait to see your first prints. Thumbs Up

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 14:00 - 27 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

slyrob wrote:
you absolute bastard!

Yes. Razz
slyrob wrote:
I was supposed to be owning a prusa mendel by this week which has unfortunately fallen through. I shall be watching with great interest.

That's a shitter. Was it a supply problem, or did other stuff come up?
slyrob wrote:
( I do a lot of SLA printing currently but outsource it as wax printing equipment at the resolution I need is in the region of 30k upwards Crying or Very sad )

There's s surprising number of people on here that work with this sort of stuff (albeit at a more professional level than I). Suffice it to say that I'm impressed with the print quality of the plastic parts that came with the kit so far, and if I'm to print anything for sale, then it'll be receiving extra finishing anyway, so it should be largely production quality.
slyrob wrote:
I think we met at ace a while back but this wasn't a subject that came up, let us know how much of an arse calibration and set up etc is as I shall shortly be going through the same process. Can't wait to see your first prints. Thumbs Up

We did, yes. As for how much ballache the calibration is, well - I'll keep you posted. I'm hoping that by being diligent throughout the build process, I should be able to forestall most of the later stumbling blocks, but I'm expecting the worst regardless Laughing

##Paddy## wrote:
I can barely handle Lego, fuck doing that

Yes, I remember your GSXR Laughing

lihp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:44 - 27 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just googled "RepRap"

Is it really 1k?! Either way, it looks epic, and something I'd love to have a play with! Good luck!

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 15:47 - 27 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhilDawson8270 wrote:
Just googled "RepRap"

Is it really 1k?! Either way, it looks epic, and something I'd love to have a play with! Good luck!

Nope, it's from ~ £400 from the manufacturers.

lihp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:04 - 27 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance you could PM me a link?

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 16:20 - 27 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhilDawson8270 wrote:
Any chance you could PM me a link?

Done.

Kaneda
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 16:21 - 27 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better; once you've assembled it, would you mind printing a second printer and posting it over? Very Happy

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 16:24 - 27 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaneda wrote:
Better; once you've assembled it, would you mind printing a second printer and posting it over? Very Happy

That's pretty much the point of them Laughing

I'm happy to do runs of the RP'd components for members of BCF - I'll only charge for the materials and maybe a beer or two on top of that. Bear in mind that the metal and electronic parts are what make up the bulk of the cost, though. I think it's around £400 for the full set, and about £300 without the plastic bits.

Kaneda
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 16:30 - 27 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, I'm looking forward to the point where these things advance to the point you can print your own parts cheaply and of a decent quality, like new exhaust headers for a Thundercat. I imagine it'll be a fair while yet, but the time is coming where it'll be cheaper to buy the schematics and print your own things, rather than buying them in shops or online.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 16:34 - 27 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaneda wrote:
Awesome, I'm looking forward to the point where these things advance to the point you can print your own parts cheaply and of a decent quality, like new exhaust headers for a Thundercat. I imagine it'll be a fair while yet, but the time is coming where it'll be cheaper to buy the schematics and print your own things, rather than buying them in shops or online.

There ahve already been experiments with metal printing, as well as ceramics and the like. They're moving ahead, although it's a bit slow at the moment, still - while big manufacturing firms have got the ability to work these materials, the aim is to make it accessible for the home user.

The day that the RepRap becomes a true Von Neumann machine is the day that we start to break the economy of scarcity. Incidentally, the RepRap that's pictured in the linked article is the same version that I built a few years back. The one that I'm working on now is miniscule by comparison.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 18:01 - 27 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moar, you say?

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8155/7657151974_3083376315_z.jpg
X-Axis partially assembled

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8432/7657156548_2b25db1ed1_z.jpg
X-Axis fully assembled

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7113/7657154478_99020954a3_z.jpg
And mounted on the Chassis.

Getting those belts on there was a bit interesting - the second one on the X-Axis was easy enough, because there's a proper crimp to hold it in place, but the first one required clamps and glue to get it to hold in place, which is a bit shit. Either way, I'm going to start fitting up the Z-Axis drive rods now, which is likely to be a bit difficult. I'll report back when I've got something to show.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 246 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 1 of 20