Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Suzuki Marauder 125 deposit sent!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Maddsto
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:15 - 31 Jul 2012    Post subject: Suzuki Marauder 125 deposit sent! Reply with quote

Like the title says.

What are your thoughts on the Suzuki Marauder 125?

I was riding a Suzuki GN 125, until near 2 months ago when some total knob decided to drive into the side of me, writing the bike off Mad

I like the style of the marauder, was thinking about getting one and then preparing myself for a full bike license!

Any thoughts etc would be great!

Ta Very Happy

Last edited by Maddsto on 19:27 - 01 Aug 2012; edited 1 time in total

Maddsto
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:27 - 31 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the reply and the link!

Yeah im really thinking about getting into the cruiser style, im 5'10 with a long arm span so I think i should be comfortable with the style, I dont like being all hunched up!

Really want to know though is are these bikes easy to work on, like my old GN125, i undone a few bolts and could take things apart fairly quickly.

Assuming suzuki like that style?

Nick 50
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:46 - 31 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

That style of bike has its positives and negatives.

I had one for my 125 whilst I was at that stage of learning. It was a great bike, very comfy and did what I asked of it.

I'm in the positive camp obviously.

It is pretty heavy and as such it can struggle for speed especially when windy and/or on a hill.

Has a large turning circle due to it being a mini-cruiser but you'll soon deal with it. But it does have bigger tyres compared to most 125's which are confidence inspiring in the wet and in corners.

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up from me

Prices are a bit much. Check for rust as they rust up easily, especially the exhaust. Check the side next to frame and underneath near welds.
The reg/rec can also go but they are fairly cheap and really easy to change.

Maddsto
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:01 - 31 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the reply Nick, great info!

Im not to fussed about speed, as my area is mainly 30/40mph zones. But just wondering what was your average top speed for the bike (if you remember).

And did you do much work on the bike, was it all fairly easy to access?

Cheers Smile

_matt
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:36 - 31 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Mrs rides a Marauder and I take it for a spin every now and then, it's by no means a bad bike.
With me on (16 stone) it'll top out around 50-55mph, which tbh, is all you need from a commuter bike by the sounds of it.
Repairs/work however, they're a bit of a pain.
Basic servicing is dead easy, however, they are low bikes, so when you eventually lean to far into a corner and snap a footpeg off then it's a job and a half to fix (for me anyway) because it's decent metal lol, which is a pain in the arse to drill/grind.

Overall, great little bikes, decent MPG (60+ mpg) but be aware they are quite small, so i'd suggest sitting on one before buying blindly off ebay if you're 6ft 4" like me

Additionally, if you've got a girl, and she wants to go on the back... dont try going up any hills, cos you wont make it lol

Nick 50
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:52 - 31 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

As _matt states speed wise around 50-55mph but can get 60 in right conditions.

I did a lot to the bike and was nice and easy to work on. Changed chain, brake pads, brake lines, brake bleeding, clutch cable (amongst other things) and even went as far as taking the swingarm off to de-rust and repaint....... got a tad carried away lol

Another thing to check (which the above reminded me). Take the seat off and check the bolts that hold the pillion seat on. If the bike has seen a lot of rain it drains of the pillion seat right down onto the bolts and rusts badly.

Maddsto
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:59 - 31 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

That speed is pretty decent in my eyes for a cruiser!

I done loads of work on the GN125, thats why im so annoyed it was a write off Sad

Im 5'1 and weigh 14st 5lb, so the bike should be alright.. Saying that, a guy at the end of my street has a marauder, might have to ask for a cheeky sit and get a feel for the bike!

With the pillion seat, would it just be the bolts that are rusting? Assuming just new bolts (cheap fix?)

BravoCharlie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:01 - 31 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evening!

I'm riding a GZ125 at the moment, and i do love the bike Smile

it's just a little unfortunate for me though that the 6 owners before me didn't look after the bike and its cost me a lot in time and effort!

but i have a Love/Hate relationship with my Suzy! She drives well and does me for the commute to and from work, as well as trips through town etc. so overall great!

other GZ's I've seen have been mechanically better than mine and the owners i've spoken to loved them as much as i love mine Thumbs Up

Nick 50
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:04 - 31 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maddsto wrote:
That speed is pretty decent in my eyes for a cruiser!

I done loads of work on the GN125, thats why im so annoyed it was a write off Sad

Im 5'1 and weigh 14st 5lb, so the bike should be alright.. Saying that, a guy at the end of my street has a marauder, might have to ask for a cheeky sit and get a feel for the bike!

With the pillion seat, would it just be the bolts that are rusting? Assuming just new bolts (cheap fix?)

It was a mix of the bolts and the threads rusting solid. To be honest, it wasn't a massive issue. I just wanted to take it off to clean it. Never managed to get it off and gave up Laughing

As long as the bike is quite rust free and runs well, it's all gravy Thumbs Up

Maddsto
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:23 - 31 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the way i forgot the 0 in my height... Like a tiny oveweight dwarf! 5'10* haha!

Cheers for all the replies, great info!

Another question, as for spare parts, i've done abit of research and all seem widely available and pretty good prices, is this normal or just a flood in the market atm?

BravoCharlie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:29 - 31 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maddsto wrote:

Another question, as for spare parts, i've done abit of research and all seem widely available and pretty good prices, is this normal or just a flood in the market atm?

I've never had a problem to be fair. The only problem i had was when mines was stolen and they took the side panels off for fun. trying to find a colour coded batch is a nightmare!

Maddsto
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:01 - 01 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE :

Just put a deposit down on a 2001 Marauder 125!

2001 reg
9000 miles
Year MOT start of July
Tax ends 30/04/13

From the description and pictures the bike looks and sounds in really good condition, will be paying a total £900.. already managed to knock him down £50 Twisted Evil

https://img12.imageshack.us/img12/742/bike2wc.jpg

https://img36.imageshack.us/img36/1308/bike1v.jpg

Need to look into some storage on the bike now, removable panniers or something! I've got a small tank bag for now though!

sidewinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:13 - 01 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a very nice clean bike matey.Hope you have miles and miles of fun on it Thumbs Up

Nick 50
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:09 - 01 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking bike Thumbs Up The price is pretty reasonable compared to some I have seen on e-bay.

Out of interest what clothing do you wear? I had some cheap'ish textile trouser and the edge of "maruader" badge on the side of the tanks chewed them right up Sad

Maddsto
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 23:47 - 01 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will post some more pictures when I get her on saturday!

Im soon to be investing in some kevlar jeans but at present just wearing thick denim jeans, will have to keep an eye out for wearing, ta for the heads up!

_matt
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:50 - 01 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks spot on mate!
Also, give the frame a quick check when you get there, just to make sure it isnt a re-badged Chinese copy or anything

Maddsto
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 00:03 - 02 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the signs of a re-badge? Silly question I know but abit of a novice, would it be an obvious stick over the top or is there anything in particular to look for?

The advert states the owner has the v5 so would it say in there if its a genuine suzuki?

Maddsto
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 00:06 - 02 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some other pictures

https://img13.imageshack.us/img13/3672/clocku.jpg

https://img440.imageshack.us/img440/1510/badgel.jpg

_matt
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 02:10 - 02 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeh if he's got the v5 then you wont have any trouble. When i was first looking at bikes I found a guy selling a "Honda Shadow 125". Went to see it, looked a bit shoddy so checked around the frame for the usual "HONDA XXXXX" sticker thing, to my surprise it read "PIONEER NEVADA" lol.
Easy enough to change the side panels etc to get more money for a shit bike. but that suzuki looks spot on, and if he''s got the v5 well, you're in good order!

actually, for a 2001, that's low miles and it looks in decent condition, so you've got a nice tidy bike there i rekon

Nick 50
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:36 - 02 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me being picky again.

Just a few things I noticed on the pics.

https://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn6/ElScampio/GZ125%20selling/bike2wc1.jpg

The rear sprocket is black, it should be silver. So I would check the condition of the sprocket and the chain.

If the seller will let you, take the front sprocket cover off. There are 3 x 7mm bolts denoted where the 3 red arrows are. If he wont or a bit uneasy about asking, check underneath the cover and make sure there isn't an excessive amount of black guey crud.

next thing:

https://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn6/ElScampio/GZ125%20selling/bike1v2.jpg

I'm not sure if it's just me, but at the bottom of the exhaust where the red arrow points too, it shows a few signs of rust.
Make sure you check behind and underneath the exhaust especially at the join (blue arrow) as they can easily rust and cause holes.

In the later models they had a cover (like on mine below) to try and prevent the rusting.

https://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn6/ElScampio/GZ125%20selling/GEDC0462.jpg

The end part of of the exhaust ^^^ looks relatively rust free ................ it wasn't!! At the join I was talking about, round the back of it it had nearly rusted through. But without looking there you wouldn't know.

*edit*

The speedo pic, what's the 2 cable ties for??

Oh and the big GZ thing, the rear brake pedal really is in that stupidly f***ed position where you can't reach it properly. Don't worry they are all like that. You'll see what I mean when you try to use it Laughing

_matt
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 02:54 - 02 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good things to check!

Nick 50 wrote:

The rear sprocket is black, it should be silver. So I would check the condition of the sprocket and the chain.

i'd think it's probably been changed after 13 years: Most likely for one of these (its whats on my mrs bike atm)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/45T-REAR-WHEEL-SPROCKET-for-SUZUKI-GZ125-MARAUDER-1998-to-2010-/290753902598?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item43b2487806

which are black

alexknight200...
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 06:54 - 02 Aug 2012    Post subject: Suzuki GZ125 marauder Reply with quote

Hi,

Just for the record, I got my Marauder in April, I passed my Mod 1 and 2 on it and have now sold it (same as what I paid of rit) and have now got a 650.

The marauder is a nice bike and I could keep up with the normal flow of traffic. It won't be long before you are using it to its capacity. Laughing

Alex

EazyDuz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:15 - 02 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought id throw in my experience.
Owned a 2005 Gz125 in september, sold in april this year.
Nice looking bike, but it was dog slow, regularly had traffic building up on 60mph roads with people dangerously overtaking.
I maintained the engine well, its either just how the bike is or mine had lost compression somehow.
Its not easy to pass your tests on but its doable, passed mod1 second attempt and mod2 first attempt on it.

Resale value is good, i sold it for 200 quid more than i paid for it, and that was after i had an off and scuffed the exhaust!

Suzuki chrome isnt worth a wank, the underside of the exhaust was rusty as fuck, quite deep rust but not so bad that it had holes in it.
Cover it in ACF50 and hope it keeps the rust away.

https://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt134/Kurt_V/SV205701.jpg

Apart from that its a sound bike. Ive now got a 535 Virago which even though its 22 years old, it has better chrome!

Maddsto
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 08:42 - 02 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top replies all, big help!

Nick 50 - The guy did mention there was a slight scudd on the exhaust but was no major damage (will find out on saturday how much of a "scuff") Also, I didn't even notiice those cable ties... Hmmm, nothing mentioned about those in the description, so will have to investigate! I'll have to check this brake position aswell Smile

Once again cheers everyone for comments, thoughts and advice!

I feel like a kid counting the days till christmas!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 267 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1