Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What next? Now MAG are joining in!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:44 - 12 May 2004    Post subject: What next? Now MAG are joining in! Reply with quote

https://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/motoring/news_and_features/story.jsp?story=519665

This is getting ridiculous even MAG are going all anti biker!! Surely the last thing we need is something like this adding fuel to the fire.

IMO MAG should have worded their opinions more carefully, an attack on any biker group only gives the anti-bike lobby more ammunition. I had considered joining MAG at various times but they aren't getting my sub now, talk about shooting ourselves in the foot! Rolling Eyes

Laura
Playboy Bunny

PostPosted: 12:49 - 12 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed what a sell out! Bikers are sloely turning on each other in my opinion perhaps some bikers are turning into older nova boys.

cliff
Doctor Sicknote

PostPosted: 12:51 - 12 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's obsurd! About 1% of bikers are posh toff businessmen. Theyr'e the ones in Ford Mondeo's that are killing us off! Evil or Very Mad
I say we should join with the Cruiser/Harley riders. That'll show 'em. Thumbs Up

JimboJ
Manc Pikey

PostPosted: 12:56 - 12 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to that report young riders are being replaced by middle aged men and they are the ones who are killing themselves. Perhaps I may see a decline in my insurance and see some more on top of theirs.

James
[00:42] <NSR-Andy> which one's the missionary position
[00:42] <NSR-Andy> i've heard it's good
[9:42pm] <Shaun> you came first mike | <Shaun> yes gav, because I really want to fuck you
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sv_cath
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 12:57 - 12 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not wanting to play devil's advocate, but I do see where MAG are coming from - bike deaths have gone up and something does need to be done. There are a lot of people getting straight onto 1000cc bikes and killing themselves and giving the rest of us a bad reputation in the process.
We do need to help ourselves by supporting any ideas that make biking safer without restricting the amount of fun we can have!
Just my opinion....
*ducks*
Shifty
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

cliff
Doctor Sicknote

PostPosted: 12:59 - 12 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quack. /me also ducks. Mr. Green

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 13:02 - 12 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

"many of the most spectacular pictures are taken with riders going very slowly." Thumbs Up

Is MAG being worried that the BABs accidents and reputation will result in stricter laws being applied to all bikers any different to us complaining that ped bois who ride like twats push up our premiums?

Surely all niche groups of bikers would like to see the 'blame' foisted onto another group, so that when there's a crackdown on speeding/noise/fun/breathing they can claim that it's the fault of the BABs/ped bois/commuters/yoof/cruisers... ?

cliff
Doctor Sicknote

PostPosted: 13:07 - 12 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, we are all on two wheels, and we and others should respect that fact and leave us the f*ck alone to do our own thing instead of f*cking about with us and turning us agaisnt each other. If I had it my way, all forms af transport bar Bike and planes would be chopped in for more bikes and planes. Rant over. Sorry. /me ducks one last time. Karma

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 13:12 - 12 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, 'our own thing' involves breaking the law, mostly. Whether or not you agree with that law is another matter.

As long as sportsbikes look fast and expensive, the riders will be targetted cos there's an assumption that the rider has the money to pay the fines and won't get a lot of his hairy arsed beardy mates round to cause trouble.

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:17 - 12 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

sv_cath wrote:
Not wanting to play devil's advocate, but I do see where MAG are coming from - bike deaths have gone up and something does need to be done. There are a lot of people getting straight onto 1000cc bikes and killing themselves and giving the rest of us a bad reputation in the process.
We do need to help ourselves by supporting any ideas that make biking safer without restricting the amount of fun we can have!
Just my opinion....

I agree that something needs to be done about the deaths and casualty figures, but surely MAG should not be specifically pointing the finger at a group and basically shouting to the world "It's their fault not ours". Even if that's the truth there are more subtle ways to go about it. Constructive opinions and advice are surely the way to go, not flaming in the press.

Adam_P
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:21 - 12 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm liking the fact that I ride a Yamaha and its classed as an 'up-market manufacturer' Rolling Eyes !!!

And does the new R1 really have 180bhp???

Luke_Retrofly
Silly Lesbian

PostPosted: 13:25 - 12 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Quote:
Egged on by celebrity motorcycle fans such as Ewan McGregor, Jeremy Irons and George Clooney, middle-aged Britons are spending £10,000 and more on machines capable of 150mph.

Typical jounalistic Bulls**t. I didnt even know they rode bikes.

Quote:
The number of new bikers under 25 has dropped, but the number over that age has doubled.

So how bout lowering our insurance a bit more and jacking theirs up.

By the sounds of it they are tarring the whole "sportsbike" community with this rubbish, but the statistics say the over 40's are the one doing this. How about bringing in new laws, eg if you havent ridden for 5 years then you have to take your test again etc.

Luke
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Mr C
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:26 - 12 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a horribly written atricle, packed with childish and naive assumptions and schoolyard allegory.

However, I must agree with the basic message and MAG are very much ON the side of the biker in this from what I can see.

It is ludicrous to suggest that someone who owned a 250 superdream 20 years ago can buy a modern sportsbike and have any hope of staying on it, the difference is that you can now fall off at 150mph instead of 65mph - that means fatalities in this group are on the increase

I would support a move for regular compulsory re-testing if it meant that the accident and fatality statistics were reduced and the govt would leave us alone in what we choose to ride

Remember we live in the worst nanny state in the world today and if we don't, won't or can't look after ourselves then some well meaning but ill informed politician will do it for us.

More rigorous training and stricter testing is a must for anyone to ride a modern sportsbike in my book.

Otherwise the option will be taken away - we may well be looking at the end of the superbikes in this country

cliff
Doctor Sicknote

PostPosted: 13:32 - 12 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
we may well be looking at the end of the superbikes in this country

Oh shit. Thumbs Down

JimboJ
Manc Pikey

PostPosted: 13:36 - 12 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do agree with you MR C although I can't seem them banning superbikes, the economy would suffer far too much! I don't know how many people would lose their jobs but it'd be loads. Anyway it's not going to happen.

James
[00:42] <NSR-Andy> which one's the missionary position
[00:42] <NSR-Andy> i've heard it's good
[9:42pm] <Shaun> you came first mike | <Shaun> yes gav, because I really want to fuck you
GFK This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.

Danny
Ask Me About Stoppie School

PostPosted: 13:40 - 12 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if people want to push their new R1 to the limit and kill themselves thats their choice.
Suicide is legal in this country, whats the difference how you decide to commit it.

Not very politically correct but they can kiss my https://www.asdz68.dsl.pipex.com/smile/moon.gif.

Danny

PostPosted: 13:42 - 12 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

GFK wrote:
nobody under 21 should be
I think I speak for everyone under 21 years old when I say https://www.asdz68.dsl.pipex.com/smile/moon.gif.

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 13:44 - 12 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry GFK but I have to disagree. Ever been to a big bike meet? You get people looning around outside, popping wheelies, doing knee down on the roundabouts and doing burn outs all over the shop. The only difference is that its 45 year old bank manager arseholes instead of 17 year old McDonalds crew arseholes.

Can I ask what makes you think that a 16 year old on a 500cc ped is more dangerous than an equally inexperianced 40 year old on a 150bhp R1?

Its daft. All new bikers should be restricted, just not to 33bhp. The DAS system is rubbish - 2 or 3 days on a 50bhp ER-5 does not prepare you for a 100bhp ZX-6R, never mind a 150bhp ZX-10R. I recently went through my DAS and I'm sure that had I not had 3 years riding experiance my ZX WOULD of caught me out by now.

Sort the licensing out. Sort training for people buying large capacity sportsbikes. Then you will see accident figures fall.

sv_cath
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 13:45 - 12 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

McJamweasel wrote:

Sort the licensing out. Sort training for people buying large capacity sportsbikes. Then you will see accident figures fall.

Thumbs Up Agreed Thumbs Up

Mr C
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:51 - 12 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

GFK wrote:

The only 'bikers' that I think are dangerous (if I were to generalise), are 16 year old 'ped boys. Kids shouldn't be allowed on the roads - nobody under 21 should be (I realise I'm going to piss off certain people here, but there it is).

you CAN'T generalise the statistics

people are dying

fathers, husbands, boyfriends (and a lot less women)

if we (the biking community) don't do something to stop this then the government will and although 16 year olds are generally twats and some of them fall under trucks, not many of them can actually go fast enough to separate limbs and heads in very high speed collisions that were entirely avoidable

and the "suicide" argument is total tosh - this isn't wilful, it's pointless waste because the system put in place to "protect" inexperienced younger riders doesn't apply to equally inexperienced older riders - many of whom have everything to live for, and have no intention of mashing their internal organs to jelly on a lamp post becasue they panic braked going round a corner too fast

hush
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:51 - 12 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also agreed.

Experience has a lot to do with safe driving, and whilst as you say 33BHP is may too low for a restriction in certain circumstances, I would still like to see DAS lead to a restriction of at least 6 months to 100BHP. Maybe even a little less. Even if it means that I get limited after I get my licence.

Danny

PostPosted: 13:53 - 12 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr C wrote:
and the "suicide" argument is total tosh
I was assuming they know the risks.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 14:05 - 12 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

There is a big thread about this on VisorDown with a few MAG reps posting, basically saying that the newspaper has done a hatchet job on the MAG statement.

sv_cath wrote:

Do we need to do something? Deaths per mile travelled on bikes are still falling. The only reason that overall deaths have risen is that the miles travelled by bike have gone up dramatically. Also there is a good case for saying that bike mileages have gone up because people have taken to bikes having got sick of being delayed and photographed in their cars.

Sorry, but at the end of the day people die. You can do your best to reduce the chance of that happening early, and you can eliminate as many risks as possible. If you do that you might land up with a life you do not want to live. However around 700 people died last year on the roads on bikes. Around 4000 died in accidents in the home. I was posted these slightly amusing stats 2 years ago, for comparison:-

Quote:
3 Brits die each year testing if a 9v battery works on
their tongue.

142 Brits were injured in 1999 by not removing all
pins from new shirts.

58 Brits are injured each year by using sharp knives
instead of screwdrivers.

31 Brits have died since 1996 by watering their
Christmas tree while the fairy lights were plugged in.

19 Brits have died in the last 3 years believing that
Christmas decorations were chocolate.

British Hospitals reported 4 broken arms last year
after cracker pulling accidents.

101 people since 1999 have had broken parts of plastic
toys pulled out of the soles of their feet.

18 Brits had serious burns in 2000 trying on a new
jumper with a lit cigarette in their mouth.

A massive 543 Brits were admitted to A&E in the last
two years after opening bottles of beer with their
teeth.

5 Brits were injured last year in accidents involving
out of control Scalextric cars.

and finally.........

In 2000 eight Brits cracked their skull whilst
throwing up into the toilet.

There are many dangerous things people do. How about rock climbing? Horse riding? Microlight flying? Pregnancy? Hill walking? Living in a US controlled area of Iraq? Shall we ban all those?

Currently I don't think anything is being done that is really going to have any great effect on accident statistics. The only people being caught are those speeding. All other reported offences are dropping, so those actually driving / riding dangerously are now far more likely to get away with it.

hush wrote:
Experience has a lot to do with safe driving, and whilst as you say 33BHP is may too low for a restriction in certain circumstances, I would still like to see DAS lead to a restriction of at least 6 months to 100BHP. Maybe even a little less. Even if it means that I get limited after I get my licence.

True, but I would say 100hp is too much and 60hp is probably about right, and a 6 month restriction pointless. The problem with that is you are trying to make people spend £200 restricting a bike for 6 months. Most people don't bother restricting a bike for the 2 years restriction period, so with far less time to get caught I suspect few would bother. Also 6 months says nothing about experience, and would just be perfect time for someone to do their test at the end of one summer, and then buy their unrestricted R1 for the start of the next summer, having not ridden a bike since their test (eg, I did my car test on the 29th of October and did not drive a car again until the following Easter).

All the best

Keith

Last edited by Kickstart on 14:12 - 12 May 2004; edited 1 time in total

Mr C
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:08 - 12 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danny wrote:
Mr C wrote:
and the "suicide" argument is total tosh
I was assuming they know the risks.

and therein lies the problem you see

they have no idea of the risks becasue they have no clue about the capabilities of the machine

the biggest cause of death if I remember rightly is hitting oncoming traffic on left hand bends

there are a myriad of reasons for this but experience gives you the get out of "chuck it in harder - it'll get round"

inexperience says, going too fast - car coming - brake - sit up - go straight on - become a horribly mangled corpse

riding fast is not suicidal - I have been faster than almost anyone here but I have a wonderful life that I would like to prolong and I am taking training and tests to make my road riding as risk free as possible

using speed innapropriately is often nothing more than lack of training and experience - without these two things you simply cannot judge risk
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 352 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3