BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Cyclists - y so serious?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:49 - 12 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mondeo man in yet another "people spend their hard earned on whatever the fuck they want" shocker.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:59 - 12 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple of points of order from this thread.

Servicing bicycles is NOT simple because there is no real standardisation (even for things that are supposedly standard like rim size two diiferent 700c rims can be amrkedly different in size). They have archaic/historic bits of design on them and require special tools for just about everything (when did you last use a 15mm spanner for anything other than removing a bicycle wheel?).

A 6mm bearing from one packet is not necessarily the same diameter as one from another packet.

All in all, bicycles are a total and utter bastard to work on for no real good reason and are covered in sharp bits for you to skin your knuckles on.

Second point. Puncture frequency is not down to luck. It's down to tyre selection and keeping them pumped up. I've not had a puncture for years because I only use Schwalbe tyres and pump them up before every ride.

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 18:07 - 12 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Second point. Puncture frequency is not down to luck. It's down to tyre selection and keeping them pumped up. I've not had a puncture for years because I only use Schwalbe tyres and pump them up before every ride.

I have to disagree. I've had punctures with schwalbe, continentals and michelins.

All are 23mm pumped up to max rating with a track pump before every ride.

The 2 this year were a result of a thorn after hedge cutting in April. How else could that happen if not for bad luck?

The second was going around a corner at 30mph and hitting a stone About 5cm in diameter head on causing a pinch puncture. Like I said I pump up my tyres before every ride and I am currently on Continental Gatorskins which are widely regarded as some of the most puncture resistant road tyres out there.

The only tyre where I've never heard of a puncture is with Schwalbe Marathons. But they cost nearly £50 a tyre and weigh a ton.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

EazyDuz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:50 - 12 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every vehicle with rubber tyres can get punctures.

In terms of bicycle servicing, its not that easy. You need a pro to respoke your wheels for example.

SQL
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:39 - 12 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was talking about this the other day with my girlfriend, when we were younger we fixed our bikes with WD40 and Cellotape + Magic

Now days we buy proper grease bearings slime innertubes etc....

just quite odd really

When I was 13 - 14 I had a bmx with a 26" front wheel 16" rear used to ride it everywhere

now I have a Voodoo Shango DJ bike with loads of mods >_<
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

D O G
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:55 - 12 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Again, I disagree, it is also down to the roads one rides on.

I ride on the South Downs, on single track lanes for 90% of my miles. They are full of Flint shards which destroy tyres. I have lost count of the number of punctures I have had this year alone - must be over 25. All of my inner tubes have been patched several times (and no, it is not the patches which leak). Chuck in wet weather riding on said roads and it just gets worse.

I run Gatorskins on mine, previously Armadillos, and I still puncture. I've not had one in 3 weeks now, which is a bloody good run. I was on holiday for one of those weeks, mind.

As for the rest, meh. My bike is old and fairly crap, but I still kept up with the fast group on today's club run.

I'd love a carbon bike tho - having ridden one borrowed from a friend for a week or two they are definitely worth the £1,500 price tag. I spend around 8 hours a week on my bike, the investment would be worth it.

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:05 - 12 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im all up for this service it yourself stuff. Theres nothing that beats fixing up your bike yourself, especially when you need to be able to sort something in a hurry. Although there are some that you need to take to a shop. For instance i have no idea how to sort out gears or fix a buckled wheel.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:28 - 12 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. I'll put it another way.

MOST punctures happen because people don't pump their tyres up properly.

Someone who is "always getting punctures" (Like Mrs stinkwheel and one of her friends) is generally the author of their own demise. I've even bought her a track pump but I don't think it gets used from one week to the next.

Mrs Stinkwheels friend is even worse. Her bicycle is a total disaster area to the point where it's dangerous. I don't know how someone can continue riding a bicycle when the bottom bracket is so loose it's shedding bearings.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:33 - 12 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

EazyDuz wrote:

In terms of bicycle servicing, its not that easy. You need a pro to respoke your wheels for example.

You actually don't. It's not that hard, just takes time and patience but I can see why people wouldn't try because it seems daunting to start with.

The only "Impossible" job is stripping and rebuilding a freewheel. I did an old one once, just to see if I could. Not a task for the faint hearted and definately better throwing it out and buying a new one.

LordShaftesbu...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:55 - 12 Aug 2012    Post subject: Re: Cyclists - y so serious? Reply with quote

JonB wrote:
Lycra. Excellent wicking properties and also they have padding in the shorts. Although a lot of newbies aren't told that you shouldn't wear underwear with them as they have bio-pads which make them more comfortable.

I KNEW anyone wearing those things was a wrong 'un. Sick

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:03 - 13 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

J4mes wrote:
Sorry, but what a load of bollocks.

My Trek bike was by no means expensive at £300 Yes it is, but do you know why I bought a £300 bike? Because I couldn't ride the £89 apollo bike I had from halfords before and I looked shit.

The front sproket I didn't oil and so wore to the point the chain skipped over it, the chrome I didn't clean began to rust after 6 months in the garage, it was too heavy for me as I'm a weakling, I broke the ferules off the brake cables on the front, the gearshift was inaccurate and clunky because I was useless and heavy handed, Because I have girly soft hands the handle bar grips were hard and uncomfortable, the seat was rock solid and I liked it rubbing on my anus, the wheels began to rust because I didn't clean them and the rear one buckled after a very clumbsy and stupid arse dropping down a curb. The crank bearings went due to me not being able to peddle properly in under a year.

I tell people I ride my current bike in all weathers on all surfaces but don't really as I'm a girly and get the bus and I haven't had any issues with the bus service , and I've owned it for 3 years and it still has the plastic wrappers on. I haven't even taken it for a service yet because I'm too embarassed to admit I can't service a push bike myself yet Laughing

As Kdub said, it's a bit like saying " I'm jealous of anyone who buys any motorcycle other than a chinese YBR replica because I have my head up their arse the flash bastard show offs"

No, it's just some people prefer to buy an expensive poor quality push iron that doesn't performs and doesn't lasts.

Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Itxi
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 09:50 - 13 Aug 2012    Post subject: Re: Cyclists - y so serious? Reply with quote

Mondeo Man wrote:
There is no need to spend more than £100 on a pushbike. If you're ctually competiting, different story. But for gettig to work, or recreation on a Sunday, more than £100 is showboating (the further you get away from £100, the more your head is up your arse).

Mondeo Man wrote:

I have had my humble Raleign Mustang for about 7 years, have covered several thousands of miles, paid around £108 for it

Probably intentional, bringing attention to it before anyone else does anyway Thumbs Up

Last edited by Itxi on 10:57 - 13 Aug 2012; edited 1 time in total

EazyDuz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:22 - 13 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

You actually don't. It's not that hard, just takes time and patience but I can see why people wouldn't try because it seems daunting to start with.

The only "Impossible" job is stripping and rebuilding a freewheel. I did an old one once, just to see if I could. Not a task for the faint hearted and definately better throwing it out and buying a new one.

I know i couldnt do it thats for sure lol

Derivative
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:08 - 21 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nonsense.

Road, or even hybrid bikes are infinitely better than mountain bikes (especially Argos specials with dual suspension) for general commuting.

If you take it out once a month, sure, it's probably not worth it.

If you actually use the bike as an alternative to motorised transport, then it just makes sense.

We are not talking marginal improvements here. A £100 used Raleigh with skinny tyres will absolutely dominate an Argos bike.

It's not all necessarily about speed, it's about endurance. MTB tyres lose you so much effort through friction. Great for losing weight, not great for getting somewhere without knackering yourself.

The Reebok comparison is nonsense. Would you go running in a pair of boat shoes? Of course you wouldn't. So you buy trainers. They don't need to be expensive ones, just the right bloody type of shoe for the job.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 21:23 - 21 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derivative wrote:
Nonsense.

Road, or even hybrid bikes are infinitely better than mountain bikes (especially Argos specials with dual suspension) for general commuting.

I disagree. skinny tyre road bikes with drop handlebars, don't tend to have low gears. For people not doing much cycling, they need low gears to get up hills. People in better shape can still get up hills with the gears on a road bike.

I'd agree that hybrids are better than mountain bikes for general commuting.

Derivative
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:31 - 21 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin1 wrote:
Derivative wrote:
Nonsense.

I disagree. skinny tyre road bikes with drop handlebars, don't tend to have low gears. For people not doing much cycling, they need low gears to get up hills. People in better shape can still get up hills with the gears on a road bike.

I'd agree that hybrids are better than mountain bikes for general commuting.

My road bike has a granny ring.
I suppose it is something to look out for, though.

I wouldn't buy a road bike for commuting.
The difference between a road bike and a hybrid is minimal unless you're time trialling, the difference between a hybrid and an MTB is huge.

You wouldn't ride knobblies on your motorbike, why do it on a bicycle? To be frank it's even worse on the bicycle because you're personally fighting with every pedal stroke.

Alpha-9
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:53 - 21 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lycra clad bellends with their arsse in the air and a serious face and general pompous attitude that people like that seem to have is what pisses me off

I agree it seems to be a craze
Nothing wrong with taking pride in your hobby, but people paying £1000+ is just retarded in my eyes because it could have an engine on it for that much

I used to cycle to work on a shit mountain bike with massive dumb tyres, was 3.8 miles and took me 20 mins ish

I saw a cyclist doing 40+ behind a lorry earlier Laughing

My friend has cycled nohanded alongside my YBR at 20mph

Stiffler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:34 - 21 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently sat knackered in my hotel bed in the alps. I've just ridden the Col du Galibier.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/225236107

Not particularly quick but I made it which is what I was here to achieve. My bike cost me £1400 5 years ago and although it's quite alot it's nothing compared to some of the other bikes in the group I'm with. There are bikes at 3k, 4k and 6k here!! I've been a keen cyclist for about 10 years now and for me it's a worthwhile investment. I do a fair few miles a year and have managed 5 trips to the Alps in that time too. Not particularly keen on being referred to as a bellend though...

Derivative
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:46 - 21 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend who has a £10k RRP bike hanging on his wall.
Couldn't tell you what brand it was, I don't follow these things.

He gave up serious cycling after being involved in two RTA's. Pelotons are scary.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:21 - 22 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all...

https://cdn.bikechatforums.com/templates/standard/images/new.gifThe Cycling Forum
Thanks. Thumbs Up

Not got a photo to hand but mine is by Viking. At least 10years old. A vile machine. Loctite is always to hand. It's heavy and the front cable operated disc brake is on or off, and it only comes on if you crush the lever. Adjustable front suspension ! What was I thinking. I never bothered with suspension before, my arms and legs did that fine.
21 gears ! I use 5 maybe 6.
Stupid flappy mudguards.
Swapped the tyres for Swalbe Marathon...somethings. Great profile and superb grip. They're very interesting on muddy paths, but I don't mind going slower, trying to relax as my front tyre does a 'Shall I go left or go right' dance. -5 points for a dab. Evil or Very Mad

I'll keep an eye on this new cycling section. It'll give me info on what parts to get. Best bikes I rode were homemade, cobbled together.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 01:57 - 22 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

A cheap road bike is more likely to have wider spread gearing ideal for the 'new rider'. Also, a lot of people will just get off and push regardless until their fitness level is up.

I recently got a cheap hybrid and really enjoying it for getting around - about as fast as a motorbike in town as you can take a few more liberties and definitely faster than a car in town.

And note, when I say cheap, I mean £115 second hand with a RRP of £300. In comparison I got a free mountain bike that was probably sold new for maybe £150.
The Hybrid is massively better getting from A to B.
However, sure I don't need to go faster, but I want a bit more speed so I can pedal slower - so have bagged myself a decent deal on a Charge Scourer, which has the 50/11 (vs 48/14 on current) maximum gear I want - selling the current one should mean it won't have cost me much more than buying new stuff would have.

el_oso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:11 - 23 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

try this on you're £100 Apollo POS.

I do partly agree, that some people way over the odds for their push bike. Whist I'd never pay less £100 on a push bike (unless 2nd hand), Spending more than £400-500 on a new road going bike I think is pointless unless you really do care about getting every single mph out of the bike you can.

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 17:31 - 23 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpha-9 wrote:
Lycra clad bellends with their arsse in the air and a serious face and general pompous attitude that people like that seem to have is what pisses me off

I agree it seems to be a craze
Nothing wrong with taking pride in your hobby, but people paying £1000+ is just retarded in my eyes because it could have an engine on it for that much

I used to cycle to work on a shit mountain bike with massive dumb tyres, was 3.8 miles and took me 20 mins ish

I saw a cyclist doing 40+ behind a lorry earlier Laughing

My friend has cycled nohanded alongside my YBR at 20mph

I don't know why, but out of all the n00bs who have joined BCF you are the biggest, most uninformed cunt of all.

How is spending £1000's on a bike that to outsiders perceive to have no benefit to the participant be any different than X - 600cc Motorcycle costing £5000 to Y - 1000cc motorcycle costing £10,000. You can't extract full potential on a public road, so what - is - the - point?????

We all do it because we can. We have money to burn. We don't live with our parents and we don't chat bullshit on forums 24/7.

By the way, 3.8 miles in 20 minutes is shy over 10mph. Fat bastard.

Seriously, you are a massive retard.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 17:49 - 23 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I'd spend that much on a road bike because it's not one of my interests. A mountain bike would make more sense for me as it would improve the bits I enjoy.

I'm currently spending a little money on a road bike because it helps me achieve general fitness aims (with the hope of doing some motorbike enduros or at least rallies next year, can't hurt) as well as saving me money each utilitarian ride.

Why spend £1000 on a motorbike, pay for tax and insurance, put your self in danger etc when you could just get a taxi?

Derivative
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:58 - 23 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anything, buying a better bicycle is more useful than buying a more powerful motorcycle, simply because you can actually use the added power.

Speed limits don't really apply to bicycles. If you manage to get something that can do 50mph in a town centre under the power of your huge glutes, go for it.

In all honesty, even a reasonably expensive road bike (say £1000) will still work out cheaper than a 50cc moped if all it's used for is commuting under 10 miles.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 214 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3