Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Talk to me about mountain bikes please.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:55 - 11 Aug 2012    Post subject: Talk to me about mountain bikes please. Reply with quote

I am looking to buy myself a new MB as my old one is 15 years old and feeling its age. I am looking to spending £500 to £600 and another £100 on changing stuff that I do not like (such as adding SPDs and bar ends). I quite like This opinions please.

Aff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:20 - 12 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go second hand. You can get some epic deals from the people who bought a bike thinking "this will make me fit now" only to realise after one ride that it actually requires effort and gave up.

Harold_Shand
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:41 - 12 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered a Specialized Hardrock from Evans and it hadn't even been put together by the time it should have been delivered (3-5 working days), so I cancelled the order. Have a good look at the reviews of Evans.com before you decide to give them your money.

Harold_Shand's theory might be the best explanation.

WannaBeDude
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:44 - 12 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aff wrote:
Go second hand. You can get some epic deals from the people who bought a bike thinking "this will make me fit now" only to realise after one ride that it actually requires effort and gave up.

This - Ariel likes a good deal - go nearly new - Cool Thumbs Up

Also - what you actually gonna use it for, so as to get the right bike Idea

GetawayDj
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:07 - 12 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, would say go second hand, I managed to get a 7 month old £900 hardtail bike for £400 off ebay with receipt and warranty...he'd gone and bought the the full suspension version plus the fact he listed it at 1.30am, I was on night shifts so messaged him with minutes of him listing it

Watch out for local chavs....the ones near me love the look of a nice bike, caught a few havin a nice gander at mine in my garden.....until I brought the rottweiler out
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:16 - 12 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one has some nice extras

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Scott-scale-60-mountain-bike-/200805543679?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item2ec0f16eff#ht_1174wt_1344

Ridden these downhill which is alright:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KONA-STINKY-DEE-LUX-2004-Front-and-rear-suspension-MOUNTAIN-BIKE-/261078634405?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item3cc97fcfa5#ht_1410wt_1344

Stumpjumper:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Specialized-stumpjumper-fsr-xc-comp-MOUNTAIN-BIKE-FULL-SUSPENSION-YETI-MANITOU-/190713349410?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item2c6766c522#ht_698wt_1344

I'm biased towards full suspension because I love a bit of downhill. Depends what you want from them though I guess.

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:33 - 12 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mostly for what I was doing before surgery last year, 10 to 20 miles after work on the canals and trails at a weekend on Cannock Chase etc.
I was looking at new due to the benefits of "cycle to work" and the chance to try before I buy.

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:41 - 12 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ariel Badger wrote:
Mostly for what I was doing before surgery last year, 10 to 20 miles after work on the canals and trails at a weekend on Cannock Chase etc.
I was looking at new due to the benefits of "cycle to work" and the chance to try before I buy.

A right yeah. Bit off topic but how does the cycle to work scheme work? Is it just the fact that you can try before you buy or will it take money off for you when buying brand new?

I tried talking to a rep in work about it and they talked absolute nonsense... couldn't figure out why it would benefit you more than a 0% finance deal.

J4mes
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:51 - 12 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think at our place the "cycle to work" scheme takes the money out of your pre-tax salary not your take home, which effectively makes your money worth 25% more.

I'm not sure if that makes sense or not Embarassed

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:52 - 12 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is rather complex but basically you pay the cost of the bike minus income tax and national insurance (it does get a bit more complex but that is the bones of the deal).

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:42 - 12 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you are into the slightly left of field in terms of transportation.

Have you considered a 29" er?

I'm sure I don't need to tell a hillclimb rider about the benefits of a larger rolling diameter wheel.

On-one make some pretty sweet frames and are a little left of filed (and slightly over your budget but their complete bikes are well specced). Genesis make some very nice bicycle shaped bicycles.

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:34 - 12 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ariel Badger wrote:
It is rather complex but basically you pay the cost of the bike minus income tax and national insurance (it does get a bit more complex but that is the bones of the deal).

Thanks for that...

I had a look up to find out how it works.

Based on a monthly wage of £1,200 (£14,400 pa)

If you got a £500.00 bike over 12 months you would be having a pay sacrifice of £41.66 per month, of which £13.33 will be paid for by National Insurance and Employement Tax. Meaning you only have to pay £28.33 of your own money.

This is a saving of £159.96 on a £500 quid bike.

What I don't get though is this is bike hire, and not buying a bike and you still have to pay pay a fee at the end of the year for the bike even though you have paid the full price off yourself!!

Anyone understand that part?

Kradmelder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:39 - 12 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one. years ago I used to take my rotties down to the spruit in the nature reserve and I would ride along. I got so many punctures I said stuff this. It is too slow, has no motor, and far better to be on a dirt bike.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:42 - 12 Aug 2012    Post subject: Re: Talk to me about mountain bikes please. Reply with quote

Need to know what you're using it for.

Me, I'd go for a lightweight longish travel full suspension bike such as the Boardman FS - that bike changed my view on FS with 5" on travel, yet no harder to go up hill than my lightweight hardtail.

Aff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:43 - 12 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubbs wrote:
Ariel Badger wrote:

Thanks for that...

If you got a £500.00 bike over 12 months you would be having a pay sacrifice of £41.66 per month, of which £13.33 will be paid for by National Insurance and Employement Tax. Meaning you only have to pay £28.33 of your own money.

What I don't get though is this is bike hire, and not buying a bike and you still have to pay pay a fee at the end of the year for the bike even though you have paid the full price off yourself!!

Basically the company own the bike and you are renting it off them for the duration of the contract. At the end of the contract you buy it off your company for a nominal fee. For me this was 2% of current market value. On my £1600 this was £21.45. I think I saved about 25-30% in the end.

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:48 - 12 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bit you pay in the end is tax on what is deemed to be a gift off your employer and varies on the value of the bike new

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:50 - 12 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aff wrote:
Bubbs wrote:

Thanks for that...

Basically the company own the bike and you are renting it off them for the duration of the contract. At the end of the contract you buy it off your company for a nominal fee. For me this was 2% of current market value. On my £1600 this was £21.45. I think I saved about 25-30% in the end.

Ah right cool thanks for that. Interesting!!

You can have your thread back now Ariel. Wink

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:52 - 12 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quoted from an email from my employer...

"HMRC guidance enables your employer to calculate the value of your
selection at the end of the Hire term. The guidance states a selection
valued under £500 will be worth 18% after 12 months, where as a selection
over £500 will be worth 25% of its original value. For example: - If you
select £650, the market value would be calculated as £162.50 (25% of
£650). The £162.50 is the reported on your P11D which will allow you to
pay the tax on that value. Based on a 20% basic rate tax payer the cost to
you will total £32.50"

Kradmelder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:54 - 12 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ariel Badger wrote:
The bit you pay in the end is tax on what is deemed to be a gift off your employer and varies on the value of the bike new

These tax perks are a double edged sword. Like a company vehicle appears free, but you are taxed on that perk. If teh tax on the perk exceeds depreciation, you are losing as you dont have an asset you can sell.

I worked it out for me. Better to buy myself, claim the km and right off the vehicle as tax free income. All vehicle related expenses become tax free income and that amount is added to my income rather than a vehicle. So i can ride to sites on gravel on bikes, and get paid per km to ride gravel, and calim back the amount of depreciation, insurance etc as tax free income
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 231 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1