Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

hardest bits about das?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

marc_yorks
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 13:12 - 09 May 2004    Post subject: hardest bits about das? Reply with quote

to people who passed what in your opinion was the hardest test?
theory?
hazard perception or the ride?
i got my car license way back in 93 before there were theory tests,are they hard or just common sense?
thank in advance Cool

izzi81
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 17:01 - 09 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to say hazard perception because it doesn't make much sense the way it is tested - I have no faith in it actually being able to give a good idea of a person's hazard perception!

The theory test is mostly common sense, and you can get books which have all the questions and answers in to revise up with.

And the ride, well, as long as you're sensible and confident then you should be fine Smile

marc_yorks
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 17:27 - 09 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

izzi81 wrote:
I'd have to say hazard perception because it doesn't make much sense the way it is tested - I have no faith in it actually being able to give a good idea of a person's hazard perception!

The theory test is mostly common sense, and you can get books which have all the questions and answers in to revise up with.

And the ride, well, as long as you're sensible and confident then you should be fine Smile

cheers for that Smile
suppoose im lucky as ive been driving 11 years,thats gotta help with the theory side surely Cool

Gazanimal
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:00 - 09 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seen as you've been driving for 11 years you'll have fairly good road sense anyway so the Theory & Hazard Perception should be a piece o' piss to do. The annoying thing is you'll probably find you're marked down on the HP part due to spotting the hazards too early (i.e. before you should) as you've already got a good hazard perception due to your driving experience.

I found the ride to be the harder part as I basically went from doing my CBT then a few months later my DAS. Before doing my CBT I'd never actually ridden a motorbike in my life! Shocked

The day before my test I had the worse lesson ever & couldn't do a u-turn even if I was on a runway. In fact it made it easier as I breezed the test the following day as I felt relaxed & de-stressed due to making all the mistakes the day before. Sort of got rid of all the bad bits before-hand.

If anything just relax,try not to pressurize yourself into thinking that you're gonna fail as you'll concentrate too much on failing & not on manouvering the bike as you should. Did wonders for me,passed 1st time with 3 minor faults after only ever riding a bike for the 1st time 6 months previously.

Relax! Breathe! Concentrate! (sound like giving birth technique!)

marc_yorks
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:15 - 09 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gazanimal wrote:
Seen as you've been driving for 11 years you'll have fairly good road sense anyway so the Theory & Hazard Perception should be a piece o' piss to do. The annoying thing is you'll probably find you're marked down on the HP part due to spotting the hazards too early (i.e. before you should) as you've already got a good hazard perception due to your driving experience.

I found the ride to be the harder part as I basically went from doing my CBT then a few months later my DAS. Before doing my CBT I'd never actually ridden a motorbike in my life! Shocked

The day before my test I had the worse lesson ever & couldn't do a u-turn even if I was on a runway. In fact it made it easier as I breezed the test the following day as I felt relaxed & de-stressed due to making all the mistakes the day before. Sort of got rid of all the bad bits before-hand.

If anything just relax,try not to pressurize yourself into thinking that you're gonna fail as you'll concentrate too much on failing & not on manouvering the bike as you should. Did wonders for me,passed 1st time with 3 minor faults after only ever riding a bike for the 1st time 6 months previously.

Relax! Breathe! Concentrate! (sound like giving birth technique!)

i get you mate,cheers for the tips :)lets see what happens

Laura
Playboy Bunny

PostPosted: 20:18 - 09 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Das is easy if I can pass no one else has a excuse!

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 20:37 - 09 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laura wrote:

You didn't do DAS!?!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Laura
Playboy Bunny

PostPosted: 20:41 - 09 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The test is exactly the same gavin just on deferent cc bikes.

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 20:48 - 09 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the fact remains you didn't do DAS. Razz

I have been told they expect slightly different riding style when you do DAS than the restricted test. How true this is I don't know and to be honest don't care. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ian (GPX)
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:59 - 09 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAS Test Ride / A2 Test Ride

Dominate the middle of your lane that you are in.

Make sure you do them lifesavers when needed (turning right or left, overtaking cars, passing parked vehicles, going round left or right bends etc).

Use your mirrors often, make sure you move your head to look in them.

Make sure you don't cut corners, right turn.

Indicate well, and choose the correct lane on the road.

Don't put your foot down on the U-Turn, instant fail if you do.

Don't run a red light, instant fail if you do.

Correct use of speed as and when needed (30, 40, 50, 60, 70), you need to make progress, no good doing 35mph in a 50 or 60 limit if the road ahead of you is clear.

In the wet, remember the braking distance is increased, and also the 2 second rule is now 4 seconds.

Revision -- Bike maintenance, and carrying a pillion, and adjustments needed when you have a pillion on the back.

Also remember your CBT basics -- BOLTS + FIGS and everything that you was / have been shown / taught by your instructor.

Most of all, relax and concentrate on the road ahead of you and follow all the instructions that the examiner gives to you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Inglesina94
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:44 - 09 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marc, from listening to the other guys at the school the HP seems to be the most difficult thing especially for experienced drivers

Ian, your advices are worth like gold ... Had my last lesson today and doing my test thursday morning, thought not DAS and my instructors reminded me exatcly the same things!!

One thing that I still missed a couple of times today and guess worth reminding to all taking the test soon ... rear observation to all change of speed also if just before or aftera roundabout. Seem silly as one rear observation should work for both ... but apparently not. Guess better not to take the risk of loosing minors for such a small thing!

Practiced my u turns a lot today as still a bit wobbly ... just hope that I'll do like Gazanimal and manage fantastictly on the day!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Claud 14.7 to 1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:59 - 09 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

get hazzard perc./ theory cd. Its invaluable. It will ensure you a pass first time.

Someone here could lend you one/ burn one for you.

AcIdBuRnZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:01 - 10 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an easy one!

...The money it costs!!!

Nah - it's all easy really - ride confidently, don't do anything stupid. Get your manuvures perfected Thumbs Up

Also - pray for good weather (you'll still do an emergency stop in the wet - but with a greater stopping distance allowance), and hope that a car driver doesn't f*** things up for you.

All the best,

Mark

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 08:33 - 10 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laura wrote:

Hex wrote:
You didn't do DAS!?!

Laughing

atom
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:16 - 10 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also remember your CBT basics -- BOLTS + FIGS and everything that you was / have been shown / taught by your instructor.

Whats BOLTS?

Ian (GPX)
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:33 - 10 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

atom wrote:
Quote:

Whats BOLTS?

Brakes
Oil
Lights
Tyres & Transmission
Steering & Suspension

Inglesina94
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:20 - 10 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also remember your CBT basics -- BOLTS + FIGS

What's FIGS?

PsychoHippy
Jammy Git

PostPosted: 17:45 - 10 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inglesina94 wrote:
What's FIGS?

From what I remember, its:
Fuel
Ignition
Gears
Start

I may be wrong though, because it's a long time since I did that lot!

Ian (GPX)
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:25 - 10 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

PsychoHippy wrote:
Inglesina94 wrote:
What's FIGS?

From what I remember, its:
Fuel
Ignition
Gears
Start

I may be wrong though, because it's a long time since I did that lot!

Well done Thumbs Up

FIGS -- Used just before you go out on the road with your bike.

Check Fuel -- make sure you have turned on the fuel tap and that you have plenty for your journey.

Ignition -- Switch it on.

Gears -- Make sure it's in neutral.

Start -- <<<<< AS IT SAYS, Start the bloody thing !

Claud 14.7 to 1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:53 - 10 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

PING

Petrol
Ignition
Neutral
GO GO GO

Oh yer also remember lights, sidestand, choke (if you need it)

lifesaver checks.

road positioning.

where you look you go. . .

Jinx
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 10:51 - 12 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was lucky - I didnt have to do the hazard perception thing but the theory test was a doddle (100%) as long as you spend a little bit of time preparing and practising - it is purely common sense - and IMHO any one who fails three times should not be allowed to ride (or drive - the same goes for the car theory test). I know that might seem a little harsh to many but it really is common sense and if you cant do it on the computer screen how can you do it on the road?

A lot of people say the hardest part is the U turn - i guess partly cos the bike is much heavier than a 125. For me the hardest part was remembering those damned lifesavers!!!!!!
and yes I did pass first time - suprised me more than any one i think!

fastpaceinstr...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:58 - 14 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian (GPZ400R) wrote:
DAS Test Ride / A2 Test Ride

(Dominate the middle of your lane that you are in.)

dominate all the time or can I move if a car is in my way??!!

(Make sure you do them lifesavers when needed (turning right or left, overtaking cars, passing parked vehicles, going round left or right bends etc). )
Lifesavers on bends????? surely you want to be looking in front of you when going round a bend!!!!

Ian (GPX)
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:26 - 14 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dominate the lane your in, if a car is in your way (parked on the left) go round it to the right, check that it is clear ahead and then do a lifesaver over your right shoulder before you go around it to the right.

Bends -- Just before you go round a bend -- Say it's a bend to the right, where do you need to be to go round the bend ? On the left side near the kerb if you did not know ! Why ? So you can see round the bend that much earlier.

Just before you pull over to the left to take the bend, make sure no one is up your inside.

It's all reversed for the bend that goes round to the left, but don't sit on the white line in the middle of the road, you need to be in the best position you can be to see round the bend without crossing the central white line, cos if you are, then what ever is coming towards you will hit you, remember, most car / lorry drivers hug the white line or even cross it from time to time, as do we bikers too, but if you want to live, then ride defensively and not like a fool.

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 18:28 - 14 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused

The majority of that sounds like advanced riding techniques to me, not test standards.

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 18:31 - 14 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian (GPZ400R) wrote:
It's all reversed for the bend that goes round to the left

On my DAS training I was told to stay in the centre of the lane for left handers - not move over.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 364 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2