Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Improving Headlights

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Graham88
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:42 - 08 Nov 2006    Post subject: Improving Headlights Reply with quote

I want to improve my headlights, as I don't really find I get enough light from mine.

Have been looking at Xenon Headlights, which look to improve headlights quite alot. Unfortunately the only picture I can find is on a car!

https://img380.imageshack.us/img380/9529/imag0027qc8.jpg

Would I be able to go into somewhere like Halfords with a headlight bulb, and match up an Xenon bulb to use instead?

Ichy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:57 - 08 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Auto express did a test and one of the best standard fitment bulbs was the Osram Silverstar 50%. Costs between £12 and £20 for a pair. Supposed to give off 50% extra light for the same power rating. The Philips Vision Plus was supposed to be the best but costs about £12 for one bulb.

Plently of places you can get them, loads on the net, including Ebay. Or just try the local car shops.

tsmith
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 07:59 - 08 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

have a look at the size and power rating of your bulb

get either an Osram Silverstar or Philips Vision Plus equivalent

sorted Thumbs Up

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 09:58 - 08 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't confuse Xenon bulbs, with HID Xenon systems.

Xenon bulbs just use Xenon gas in a regular halogen bulb to make the light whiter.

Xenon HID systems use a Xenon gas filled chamber, within which a small electric arc is fired continuously. HID systems produce SHITLOADS more light than a halogen bulb, and also only consume about 35w of power (compared to 55/100w for halogen bulbs) You can get HID kits that just plug in, but you need to find somewhere to store the balasts and starters, so if you've got a naked bike, it cant be tricky to make it look good.

a

beatnck
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 12:42 - 08 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had this prob on my rs, so i went to halfords and picked up a xenon bulb for a tenner and its made a world of difference Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Arfdog
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 12:47 - 08 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've got 6V electrics (as I have on my RXS100), you can find some bulbs here:

https://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/goffybulbs.htm

I can't figure out which ones I need though, so my lights are still old and dim..

Graham88
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:39 - 09 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

beatnck wrote:
i had this prob on my rs, so i went to halfords and picked up a xenon bulb for a tenner and its made a world of difference Smile

I went there but they only do it in 55W, I need 35W. Mad

Finglonga
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:12 - 09 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bulbs are a factor but more of a factor is the reflector. You also have to consider the wiring and the material the reflector is made from if you up the wattage.

Wiring will melt if pushed too hard as will a reflector if subjected to too much heat.

The 'coated' bulbs life is considerably shorter also. I don't rate the philips bulbs, had them for the car and the bike.

Zimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:19 - 09 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bulb upgrade is a good first tsep, I recommend Philips Vision Plus - better beam pattern and more light.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

phatstorage
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:31 - 09 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.hids4u.co.uk/products.asp?cat=13

his name is Ian and he's da man.

Arfdog
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 13:37 - 09 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

£269.99 ?!?!?!?!

That's about twice what my BIKE costs!!

Ichy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:40 - 09 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arfdog wrote:
£269.99 ?!?!?!?!

....and about four times more than its worth Laughing It will make it go much faster though.

Try this place, seems to have a good choice for 6v, price seems okish.
https://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/goffybulbs.htm
Might be worth emailing the bloke for his opinion :norbsa02@aol.com

Arfdog
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 14:54 - 09 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohhh I dunno about making it go any faster..

I would have thought the increased number of photons being emitted forward out the headlamp would cancel out the 2.5 metric catpower I gained by cutting power slots in my chain.

Maybe if I had a high power brakelight, but then, that would just give me that little boost at the very instant I wanted to stop.

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 15:11 - 09 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arfdog wrote:

I would have thought the increased number of photons being emitted forward out the headlamp would cancel out the 2.5 metric catpower I gained by cutting power slots in my chain.

Maybe if I had a high power brakelight, but then, that would just give me that little boost at the very instant I wanted to stop.

ahbut.. remember HID lights only consume 35w of power, compared to 55/100w for a halogen bulb.. that's 35w more you can put down thru the back tyre (after losses have been taken into account of course Wink )

a

phatstorage
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:26 - 09 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arfdog wrote:

so how many cats to one horse Arf?
i think you may be right about the brake light and am thinking of maybe getting a 35watt hid indicator system for added fun on bends Thumbs Up Laughing

BTW: didn't realise the H4 was that much, that's alot of penny sweets, i was looking into the H11 which is more reachable.

eddclarke
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:39 - 09 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just fitted a halogen bulb to my bike (xr125) its the same wattage as the old one. The headlight unit has 2 bulbs in it one for main and then the dipped light that is always on. Before i changed the bulb, both bulbs used to be on all the time and then when on full beam they both got brighter. but now i have fitted the new one only the little bulb works on dipped, but they both still work on high beam

i need to get this sorted for later on as I'm at work and cant drive with full beams on the whole way, ill blind people

Arfdog
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 17:07 - 09 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

phatstorage wrote:
Arfdog wrote:

so how many cats to one horse Arf?
i think you may be right about the brake light and am thinking of maybe getting a 35watt hid indicator system for added fun on bends Thumbs Up Laughing

BTW: didn't realise the H4 was that much, that's alot of penny sweets, i was looking into the H11 which is more reachable.

Hi Phat.

By my calculations, one horsepower is 833 and a 1/3 catpower.
Which makes a catpower approximately 894.83 milliWatts.

phatstorage
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:07 - 09 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

eddclarke wrote:
I just fitted a halogen bulb to my bike (xr125) its the same wattage as the old one. The headlight unit has 2 bulbs in it one for main and then the dipped light that is always on. Before i changed the bulb, both bulbs used to be on all the time and then when on full beam they both got brighter. but now i have fitted the new one only the little bulb works on dipped, but they both still work on high beam

i need to get this sorted for later on as I'm at work and cant drive with full beams on the whole way, ill blind people

just a thought mate,
can you plug that bulb in the wrong way round?
if so i think that's what you did.

eddclarke
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:12 - 09 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

phatstorage wrote:
eddclarke wrote:

just a thought mate,
can you plug that bulb in the wrong way round?
if so i think that's what you did.

no idea ill have to go check

phatstorage
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:12 - 09 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arfdog wrote:

By my calculations, one horsepower is 833 and a 1/3 catpower.
Which makes a catpower approximately 894.83 milliWatts.

Damnit man, i was expecting the worst but their is no way that could ever power my flux capacitor side stand.

i need 1.21 gorilla watts!

Ichy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:58 - 09 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arfdog wrote:

Ahhh.... what your forgetting is that I'm an engineer so I'm right.
The bit you've forgotten is that the higher rated bulb is running hotter. This warms up a small amount of air in front of the bike which then rises and leaves a vaccum. Not only does this mean that your bike is being sucked forward but their is no friction in a vacuum. Therefore the speed of the bike will steadily rise, even if you shut off the throttle.

Better upgrade your brakes.

Finglonga
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:40 - 09 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

marki wrote:

Ahhh.... what your forgetting is that I'm an engineer so I'm right.
The bit you've forgotten is that the higher rated bulb is running hotter. This warms up a small amount of air in front of the bike which then rises and leaves a vaccum. Not only does this mean that your bike is being sucked forward but their is no friction in a vacuum. Therefore the speed of the bike will steadily rise, even if you shut off the throttle.

Its a bit like Ion drive then, except it pulls instead of pushes.....hmmmm Confused

Ichy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:01 - 09 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finglonga wrote:

Its a bit like Ion drive then, except it pulls instead of pushes.....hmmmm Confused

Nah....... its sucks.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:46 - 09 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arfdog wrote:
£269.99 ?!?!?!?!

Yeah but with the reduced power consumption you could leave the lights on when you park it behind the wife's car Very Happy

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 171 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1