BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Honda Ace 125

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

kologha
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:03 - 21 Aug 2012    Post subject: Honda Ace 125 Reply with quote

Hi, I am thinking about buying a new Honda Ace 125. Anyone know this bike? The price in SA is R9000 which is about £700 in UK terms which is pretty cheap. A Chinese CG125 runs at R8000 so I think it's a pretty good deal!

ThoughtContro...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:11 - 21 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/Honda/honda_cb125%20ace.htm

Looks to be a cheap CG clone albeit made in Nigeria with the Honda name.

Quote:
Honda will introduce the CB125 and CB125-D at about 100,000 Nigerian naira (US$627), a price point that Honda expects to be affordable for many Nigerians

Doesn't look like it was expensive to start with.

Does it come with a letter from the ex-ruler, claiming he's got millions tied up in a bank account and needs your help? Mr. Green

kologha
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:19 - 21 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am retired and live on a farm with dirt roads. I am looking for a small bike to use to go to town occasionally rather than take the car. I also cannot afford anything more expensive and all 2nd hand stuff is either Chinese or scooters which I don't want, or a lot more expensive.

Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:22 - 21 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honda c90 is your bike Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kologha
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:34 - 21 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep I agree that the C90 is dead right but I never bought one and stashed it away while they were available. Now they cannot be had for love nor money in SA. The Ace comes with the old Honda overhead cam engine CB125 and a warranty. Honda claims it's built as a bike taxi so I reckon it's ideal for me, simple but with Honda ruggedness. I'm looking for something that's going to be ridden a few miles a week and will last 10 years or more without needing to be fixed all the time!

Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:53 - 21 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

kologha wrote:
Yep I agree that the C90 is dead right but I never bought one and stashed it away while they were available. Now they cannot be had for love nor money in SA. The Ace comes with the old Honda overhead cam engine CB125 and a warranty. Honda claims it's built as a bike taxi so I reckon it's ideal for me, simple but with Honda ruggedness. I'm looking for something that's going to be ridden a few miles a week and will last 10 years or more without needing to be fixed all the time!

Don't get me wrong paying £700 for a C90 is still very good, even a C90 engine with 50,000 mile's on the clock is still reliable than most bike's, Honda c90's are worth EVERY penny now day's, you can abuse them, run them with no oil, run them on mixed petrol and diesel ( i did this as my old chap got some free mixed fuel ) so so much reliability, maintenance free ( almost ) even if you pay £1000 for one their worth it, if you actually maintained a Honda well with fresh oil and stuff it would be incredibly reliable Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 18:25 - 21 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Designed for use as a "bike taxi," which is popular as an inexpensive and convenient means of mobility for people in Nigeria,

I don't know much about African markets, other than they are a curiouse confection of regulation & corruption, and you buy what you can get your hands on, 'cos it probably wont be there next week!

Implication is that this is a 'Joint-Venture' deal, the old Kick-Start CG tooling shipped to Africa, where a few components are made, to satisft local regime, that its 'Made in Nigeria', rest sourced from wherever, Brazil, Spain, India, China.... and then assembled in the country.

Locally made, and with the Honda badge, some-one is going to want there to be some 'pride' in the product.... Yeah... I think I'd give it a go over a Jailing or HM direct from the orient.

.... if my attempts by e-mail-shot to get a British Student to Buy an XR400 in Holland and ride it accross Europe and through Central africa, failed Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

kologha
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:32 - 21 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear you, but I have not seen a C90 advertised here and I've been looking at 2nd hand bikes (off and on) for over 2 years. They may be available in the UK but not SA! I still feel that the Ace is the best I'm going to get at that price. I also don't want something that's been abused for years A fellow on the next farm has a Yamaha 50cc which he's had since the 1970's. He won't sell it, also rides it to town every now and then.

kologha
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:44 - 21 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
Quote:
Designed for use as a "bike taxi," which is popular as an inexpensive and convenient means of mobility for people in Nigeria,

I don't know much about African markets, other than they are a curiouse confection of regulation & corruption, and you buy what you can get your hands on, 'cos it probably wont be there next week!

Implication is that this is a 'Joint-Venture' deal, the old Kick-Start CG tooling shipped to Africa, where a few components are made, to satisft local regime, that its 'Made in Nigeria', rest sourced from wherever, Brazil, Spain, India, China.... and then assembled in the country.

Locally made, and with the Honda badge, some-one is going to want there to be some 'pride' in the product.... Yeah... I think I'd give it a go over a Jailing or HM direct from the orient.

.... if my attempts by e-mail-shot to get a British Student to Buy an XR400 in Holland and ride it accross Europe and through Central africa, failed Razz

That's exactly how I feel. The dealer 80 kilos away (the town closest to me has no bike dealers - too small) has got an Ace in stock and I can collect it licensed and registered next week.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 344 days between these two posts...

daemon
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:50 - 01 Aug 2013    Post subject: Honda ACE 125 Reply with quote

Just a quick one how is the ACE coping? your last post from what I can see was last year October (2012).
I am also thinking of buying one seen as its a honda and it should have good fuel economy?
Or maybe I should spend a little more and buy the Honda ANF 125 which I am told is very good.
I am based in the Freestate and the closest dealer to me is Bloem and that 200k's away.

Thanks
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 3 years, 314 days between these two posts...

kologha
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 08:52 - 11 Jun 2017    Post subject: Honda Ace 125 Reply with quote

The Honda Ace 125 was definitely a good buy. No trouble at all except that the seat is very hard and uncomfortable so I bought a bead cushion and now it doesn't hurt me any more. The exhaust pipe started rusting so I bought some heat resistant paint and painted it. Only done 6000 k's but am very happy with it! Not all that fast but suits me and can sit at 80 kph all day. Fuel consumption is around 36 to 39 kilos per litre. I am very glad I bought it.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 311 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1