Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


What do you do if you see/ smell a diesel patch on the road?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

What action do you take?
Nothing - Someone Else's Problem
32%
 32%  [ 9 ]
Nothing - Its probably already been reported
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Nothing - but signal other bikers etc coming the other way
28%
 28%  [ 8 ]
Telephone the relevant highways agency straight away?
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Telephone the local nick and report it
17%
 17%  [ 5 ]
Pop in to your local nick and report it
7%
 7%  [ 2 ]
Pull over before the patch and warn others, while calling...
7%
 7%  [ 2 ]
Something else?
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 28

Author Message

Ninja
Caption Abuser



Joined: 22 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:27 - 14 May 2004    Post subject: What do you do if you see/ smell a diesel patch on the road? Reply with quote

As bikers (or car driving wannabe's like myself . . . ) What's your most likely reaction to spotting a dodgy patch of spilt diesel on the road?
____________________
James
4 wheels transport the Body ... 2 wheels transport the SOUL
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ninja
Caption Abuser



Joined: 22 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:35 - 14 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me - try and report it - pop in to the local nick who can then highlight the local highways agency - now going to follow that banner/ link at the top . . . Thumbs Up
____________________
James
4 wheels transport the Body ... 2 wheels transport the SOUL
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser



Joined: 20 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:48 - 14 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tend to ride around it or be careful if it's unavoidable. On some journeys I've had if I reported every patch of diesel on the road I'd spent more time on the phone than riding.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

LustyLew
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:13 - 14 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry to say that I don't report it. I am not aware of any way of doing so. Perhaps local councils should provide a free-phone number (so you can phone from a phonebox if needs be) to alert them of such issues?

As bikers we tend to be more ware of our surroundings and poor road conditions.
____________________
Like a Yorkie - I'm not for the girls Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Major_Grooves
The Doctor



Joined: 10 May 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:49 - 14 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I've never seen a /proper/ diesel spill but around here if you go where the buses go there is lots of diesel on the roads. Maybe not enough to count as a spill though.
____________________
About me|@Major_Grooves|My company|Digg|Flickr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:00 - 14 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a 2 mile one on the a40 on wednesday. Impressive.

Plod had a gritting lorry there lobbing sand on it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

kev
I Hump Things



Joined: 07 Oct 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:05 - 14 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a chip fat spill somewhere in London this week. Confused
____________________
20:02:36 Jammy-R6: any holes a goal
20:02:48 kev: even if its a hairy mans arse
20:02:56 Jammy-R6: hell yes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:11 - 14 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen plenty when riding in the wet. Just ridden sensibly over it... on my one mile route to work there's usually several large patches as lots of lorries and busses go that way.
Don't bother to report as I'd be on the phone every time it rains... not sure if reporting it does anything anyway.
I've always had a sneaky suspicion that it's just people using it as an excuse for crashing because they weren't paying attention to the general road conditions Smile.

If I hadn't have been late for work I /would/ have chased and reported one lorry I saw; it was 'Environmental protection agency' lorry. Had just filled up and had left the cap off. A large stream of diesel was literally pouring out when he went around corners.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ninja
Caption Abuser



Joined: 22 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:22 - 14 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've actually pulled over a Range Rover that was doing the same - the bloke was absolutely gobsmacked when he was made aware that he was spilling all over the place.

The benefit about reporting spills is actually 2-fold:-

1)It may get cleared up more quickly - preventing more accidents
2)If you DO go over on a spill that has been previously reported, you may have a better claim against the local council on the grounds that they were made aware of the danger yet had apparently done nothing about it yet.

The more they're held to account, the more they'll do about it?

Even in my car, these spills can provide ring-tightening experiences - my most memorable was approaching a roundabout, getting a whiff of the fumes too late and finding thatthe steering wheel no longer seemed to be connected to the wheels - I simply understeered off the road, bouncing up and over the kerb - obviously not the only one as there were tracks from the verge back onto the road. I hung about, calling the local nick, helplessly watching as a guy on a CBR6 approached, correctly assesing the situation so slowed gingerly down, feet down to stay upright, but still binning it as he tried to round the roundabout.
____________________
James
4 wheels transport the Body ... 2 wheels transport the SOUL


Last edited by Ninja on 17:28 - 14 May 2004; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Milo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:23 - 14 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see too much diesel every day to do anything about it. One time I saw a patch too late while I was cornering hard so i couldn't avoid it - it was like hitting a patch of ice! Evil or Very Mad
____________________
Shaft drives rule. Razz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ninja
Caption Abuser



Joined: 22 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:29 - 14 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers for the honest replies by the way! Thumbs Up
____________________
James
4 wheels transport the Body ... 2 wheels transport the SOUL
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

sv_cath
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 19 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:41 - 14 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently you can call 999 to report a diesel spillage and the police have to race there with lights + sirens on to deal with it! I've yet to see it happen in practice though...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:53 - 14 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I have reported it in the past, but only when there is loads of it.

Last time it went:-

"Directory enquiries, can I have the number for Stafford Police"

First number I got was the RAF police at RAF Stafford. They gave me the number for the police.

Which turned out to be the local neighbourhood watch.

They gave me the number which eventually was answered by the police.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 22 years, 147 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 1.18 - MySQL Queries: 15 - Page Size: 81.83 Kb