Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Oh Hi there! - New Guy with a 125 Superdream.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

CustomJ
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:00 - 30 Aug 2012    Post subject: Oh Hi there! - New Guy with a 125 Superdream. Reply with quote

Hey, I just signed up, so I thought I would say Hi!

I had been riding a 50cc moped for far too long, and being way too old for that fun and games, and constantly being abused on the roads, I bought myself a lofty 125 bike.

Ooooh wow you say, a whole 125cc!!

Well not any 125cc's, I bought myself a Honda CB125 TD-C! A bike that is 30 years old, to match my own age!

And not just any Honda CB125 TD-C, but one of the few critiqued by Teflon-Mike on his site. Shocked (I have to add I had no idea until I got it home and started sorting it out! Link is here )

I found the old girl on eBay and managed to get it for £430 ish, not sure if that is a good deal yet, but it drove the 70 miles needed back to my house with no tax or MOT Thumbs Up

Sorted out the fork seals, welded the small hole in the exhaust and it has a nice fresh MOT.
Right away, I replaced the oil, adjusted the chain, checked the valves and made sure it went and stopped ok. All looks good so far other than some missing bolts on the engine mount, crap in the fuel tank and a leaky exhaust gasket. All of which are now sorted!

So I am now over a month in to owning the beast:

https://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l68/jazzzyj/New%20Bike/superdreamfront.jpg

https://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l68/jazzzyj/New%20Bike/SuperdreamBacka.jpg

And its going well. No rude surprises at all.

My plans for this are not huge but should give her a new lease of life:
Carb rebuilds, followed by balancing.
chain clean and refresh
Paint (the paint on there is terrible!)

So for now, not too much.
I do need help getting the Carb rebuild kits though, I don't seem to be able to find any, so if anyone has some ideas on where to get them that would be great.
I'll be visiting the local bike shops to see if they can get them for me.

So that's my bike, as for me, I just work in IT and wanted a better way of getting to work. Simples!
-J

Last edited by CustomJ on 22:15 - 06 Sep 2012; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nick 50
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:42 - 30 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks in really condition for a 30yr old bike Thumbs Up

I would say the price is a decent price.

Enjoy..........

and welcome Very Happy

Magnet
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 22:48 - 30 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats actually a cracking looking old 125 Very Happy Your brave riding it 70 miles back though lol Shocked

GPZ600R Sold, Now ZZR600
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

baggylastard
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:50 - 30 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks cracking, i would have loved one to cafe racer with l plates but i couldnt find one cheap enough when i was looking. where did you find it listed & whereabouts are you?

CustomJ
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:28 - 30 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found it listed on eBay over near bournemouth and had my more experienced friend look over it and ride it back for me to Portsmouth.
It looks good in the pics but there are some rough bits.
I'm slowly sorting out the more in depth bits, but I think I have the basics done.
It seems to have had a top end rebuild done recently, which the last owner didn't know much about. I had a look under the valve cover and it looks good.

Still need some carb rebuild kits and possibly a new master cylinder, as I can't see the fluid level very well in this one!!

-J

Magnet
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 23:56 - 30 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have got an old GS125 up for sale but dunno if I'm allowed to post bikes for sale on here?

https://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd352/GTR_turbo/GPZ600r/GS125.jpg

GPZ600R Sold, Now ZZR600

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 00:21 - 31 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the asylum.....
I'm afraid to tell you that due NHS cut-backs & privatization, BCF is a PFI franchise & nurse will NOT be coming round with meds.....
Carb-kits are NLA @ Dave-Silver-Scares.
Whats on e-bay is 'iffy'.
Some kits are for the earlier T2 model that has different float arrangements and different jetting.
Others are for the CV carbed TD-J, or the Jailing/Shinray copy.
Best bet is to source individual piece-parts; there are a few Keihin stockists, but make sure you get genuine Keihin jets, with Keihin star logo, as same jets used in Mikuni carbs and numbers the same but jet sizes a LOT bigger.
Also before muggering with them or spending money; get the carb bodies completely stripped and get them AND all the 'bits' ultra-sonically cleaned.
If the pilot airways in the carb body are furred up, you'll never get them metering properly whatever jets you fit.
Also, NEVER remove carbs without first removing side panels, & air-box covers, removing filters and detaching carb-hoses, THEN removing battery, battery tray and BOTH air-boxes, or you WILL tear the pure unobtanium carburettor stubs.
But first cut, remove fuel tap, clean tank, clean strainer, and strip off the sediment bowl from the tap and blow through.
And have you cleaned the oil strainer?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

CustomJ
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 08:26 - 31 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm Not so good news on the carb kits then. Well I'll ask about, there is a small chance someone might have some NOS on their shelves.

I have cleaned out the tank, and the sediment bowl etc already, that definitely helped! Pulled quite a bit of crap out of the tank.

I've not done the oil strainer yet. I may well do that soon, but I need to make sure I have the correct gasket for putting it back together!

I have found Full replacement carbs on eBay. I'm not sure if this is a better way of sorting the carbs out?

Also, I'm wondering what parts are interchangeable with other honda superdream models. i.e can I use the front fork legs from a 250, or can I use the exhaust from a 250/400?

I only ask as I see a lot more of these bits than 125 bits and they look similar in some places.

-J

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 15:07 - 31 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be warned, the CB125 model designation covers:-

Early 1970's CB125S & CB125J OHC singles; Later CB125RS OHC single; the late '70's CB125 Twin (twin-shock) with T, TD and a couple of other suffix variant idents; CB125TD-C 'Super-Dream', TD-E, 'Twin - Deluxe' and the TD-J. And thats just the models that were official UK imports! And ALL use different carbs!

There are a few other variants as well, and there was a variant single CB125 that used a CG 'splay-port' OHV engine in a CB125RS twin-shock frame, with 'super-dream' bodywork!

In other words..... there's a LOT of CB125's!

It looks like its a regulation Keihin PD, but mention of 'accelerator pump' on that one, implies its the later and probably larger varient used on the CG125.

Most of the Keihins are interchangeable, BUT there is a small problem in that the CG 'type' varients, have a difference flanging, so dont fit CB125TD carb stubbs. The stud holes are offset from teh centre line to teh carb-bore.

I've investigated posibilities for the suped-up super-dream motor for Snowie's bike, and I'm ALMOST at the point of thinking it would be as cheap and a heck site easier to go Fuel Injection!

Personally..... Just clean what you got, and do it WELL.

Get the carb-body & piece parts USC'd.

Then put it back together paying attension to detail.

CG carb-kits can provide mixture screw; throttle stop, and a few useful seals and springs..... and I think they are about £3.99 each or something stupid; but you'd have to get individual jets to 'make up' and as said, the float-needles are bludy difficult!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

CustomJ
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:14 - 06 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm Doesn't look too hopeful then.

Well I have done a full lock swap, so I only have one key now, and I don't need to use a screwdriver to open the seat.
I've also just done the first full tank with a working speedo and I'm fairly pleased to say I'm getting 54mpg. Which seems good.

I've fitted some mirrors, the L plates and a nice fat reflector.

I also found some "aerotite" nuts for the exhaust so they don't shake loose and this seems to have reduced the slacking off of the exhaust.

So latest front view:

https://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l68/jazzzyj/New%20Bike/thefront.jpg

Latest rear view:

https://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l68/jazzzyj/New%20Bike/theback.jpg

Replaced the Master cylinder screws:
https://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l68/jazzzyj/New%20Bike/capbefore.jpg
https://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l68/jazzzyj/New%20Bike/capafter.jpg

This meant I got to see how terrible the brake fluid was, so I will be bleeding that through!! I take it I can use Dot4 rather than Dot3 on this thing?

Oh and any idea why I have such odd panel gaps?

https://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l68/jazzzyj/New%20Bike/oddgap.jpg

-J

janner_10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:24 - 06 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't offer any advice on the bike, but welcome and nice to see someone using a nice bit of vintage 125 instead of the usual RS/YZF/CBR or something shit competitively priced from china.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 00:11 - 07 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l68/jazzzyj/New%20Bike/oddgap.jpg
CustomJ wrote:
Oh and any idea why I have such odd panel gaps?

Take a photo from directly behind, will ya......
I have an idea, becouse judging by the photo's looks like lock-side the gaps 'big', hing-side gaps tight.... which suggests an old chestnut Embarassed

Alternatively the holes imply that the lugs have been snapped off and some-one has drilled them to attach with cable ties! Hope for the latter...

Though a bent sub-frame isn't a major on these as they are a mono-shock, and it doesn't effect the tracking, or give fouling issues when the back suspension compresses.

CustomJ
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 07:52 - 07 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other side is the same. Both sides have the same gap. I added the zip ties, but the holes were already there.
https://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l68/jazzzyj/New%20Bike/otherside.jpg

And from behind

https://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l68/jazzzyj/New%20Bike/lineofsight.jpg

The rear most "tulip" lug is snapped off, I guess you mean it shouldn't have these holes at all, and it should be held by the lugs?

-J

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 12:39 - 07 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Needed to see back end, wheel in relation to mudguard & lamp & ground.
If the seat-rails are indeed twisted, which panel-gaps is clue to, then wheel mudguard would be to one side and maybe at an angle in relation to wheel & swing arm.

Yes, back lugs should hold side panel on, that is rather ignoble, but common 'botch' drilling & cable tie-ing.

Have a gander at this though:- HOW To: Re-Make Side Panel Lugs by Plastic Welding

CustomJ
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:56 - 07 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see what you are getting at, but both sides seem the same, and looking at the wheel to seat etc alignment, it looks fine.

So neither of the holes should be there then?!

-J

pits
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:18 - 07 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subframes twisted.
https://www.exploremcallen.com/Images/events/9302011_lolguy.png
00:32:08 Blau Zedong: yes, i am a massive CB400 fan and collector
00:33:00 Blau Zedong: the CB400 is my favourite road bike
Blau Zedong This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

pits
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:29 - 07 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

YellowX5 wrote:
Far too much CB125 content on here these days zzzzzzzzz

Going to have to agree, it is almost like someone has been hoarding a stash pile of them and is now just releasing them into the market, then people join here and are all like
"yo dawgs, check out mah CB125, it is amazing......but it is also broken and needs 9 million British pounds spent on it to make it work"

To be honest I lost all time for o/p after I saw flathead screws, seriously? Those things should be banned, especially if they get rusty they are hard to get out, people should be visciously buggered if they use flat heads in anything.

https://assets.diylol.com/hfs/759/0e0/6e7/resized/y-u-no-meme-generator-new-bikers-with-cb125-s-y-u-no-buy-cg125-6bafce.jpg

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 14:39 - 07 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

pits wrote:
Going to have to agree, it is almost like someone has been hoarding a stash pile of them ...................... and is now just releasing them into the market,

IT WASN'T ME!

Which I budy could at times though.... number TWO is slowly going back together... then I only have... OH! FFS, Number four, number five & number six to get round to looking at...... you think its bad enough with ONE bike that needs gazzillions spending on it to make it a good'n! Pitty me with seven of the little feckerz!

The Hoard is STILL HERE! This IS the Super-Dreams 'Santitarium' a place for the mad, dissolusioned and overly rusty!

CustomJ
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:40 - 07 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL

What are you guys like. It does look a bit like CB125chatforums for sure!

Flats are only in there for a bit, they will get replaced, don't sweat it! They are still better than the lumps of brown that were in there before.

The subframe may be a little twisted, but if it is, you can't see it, and it doesn't ride any different, so I'm not worried.

Why a CB125 rather than a CG125? Well everyone gets a CG125, a CB has a different character to it.
I'm not spending £9 million on it either. Its all mostly there, just needs a few bits. Its not a show bike.
-J

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 14:54 - 07 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

CustomJ wrote:
Why a CB125 rather than a CG125? Well everyone gets a CG125, a CB has a different character to it. -J

Yes.... its rather like Don Quixote's Donkey!

CG's reputation sees them over-values and over-priced in the market place. You can pick up a CB125 for 2/3 what you can a CG, and with twin cylinder OHC engine, electric start, twin-piston disc brake, and mono-shock rear suspension, they are twice the bike the CG ever was.... only trouble is they take twice as much looking after and cause twice as much hassle when they go wrong!
Pol Anorl This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

pits
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:00 - 07 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
CustomJ wrote:
Why a CB125 rather than a CG125? Well everyone gets a CG125, a CB has a different character to it. -J

Yes.... its rather like Don Quixote's Donkey!

CG's reputation sees them over-values and over-priced in the market place. You can pick up a CB125 for 2/3 what you can a CG, and with twin cylinder OHC engine, electric start, twin-piston disc brake, and mono-shock rear suspension, they are twice the bike the CG ever was.... only trouble is they, break down a lot, bits are hard to get for them, they are mostly all fucked, hold a tea spoon of oil in them, fall apart, and a constant source of issues!

Better equipped doesn't mean a better bike.

My CG125 cost me £350 with years tax and MOT, it has blown a forkseal because I haven't been using it, but 3-4 months of not starting, she started and still works, and I can get all the parts for it, and it is cheaper than a CB125 which I will not spend at least over 9000 hours fixing.

A point was also just raised, Smiler has thus yet failed to kill his CG125, and well it is Smiler.

CustomJ
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:31 - 07 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I could've found a cg125 for this price I would have bought it already.
But the cb is a good bike, I'm not afraid of a bit of spannering.
Just spares are a pain to get.
-J

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 16:02 - 07 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

CustomJ wrote:
Just spares are a pain to get. -J

There's actually only a few parts that are difficult to get hold of.
Carburetor inlet rubbers, spring instantly to mind.
Good petrol tanks are becoming harder to find, but plenty that can be reclaimed with some POR 15 and a bit of filler & paint.
Most other bits are pretty easy to source, and is you use CMSL microfishe to get part numbers, an awful lot are still listed by Dave-Silver-Scares, as although the Super-Dream has been out of production since 1988, the model had another five years as the TD-J with only minor changes (CV carbs & Cast wheels), and was then picked up for Asian manufactuure by Jailing; while 'sister' models have remained in production, either from Japan, as the CD125 Benley, or again, Chinese or Tiwanese Jailings.

Look at the Pup-Project, and Snowie didn't struggle FINDING many parts..... just paying for them!

But THAT is the nature of old bikes; and try and build a CG125 to the same standard, it wouldn't cost much less, and you'd have a LOT more niggles and hassles trying to fathom part compatability with the changes in spec made to the CG over its long life-time.

And a well fettles 125 Super-Dream, is a NERY nice little bike.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 236 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3