Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Aching Thumbs! Help!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

30sumthin gal
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 13:08 - 16 May 2004    Post subject: Aching Thumbs! Help! Reply with quote

I don't think I am the only one who has encountered this problem, but as a new biker, I am suffering with severe aching thumbs! Sad

I don't think it is major, just muscular, but does anyone know of a way of strengthening the muscles in that area?

I am reaching to indicate and the problem seems to be more evident in my left hand. Tips on how to not reach would be a good start I think.

Got on my NSR 125 yesterday for the first time, and I spent three hours going round - I even got some nods and one thumbs up from a Harley! Nice to be part of the group at last. Happy and safe riding everyone! Thumbs Up

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 13:11 - 16 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just keep doing it, it'll stop hurting in time as you build up the muscles and get used to moving your hand in an alien way. And try and be relaxed, don't tense up cos it makes it worse.

For about the first 6 weeks of riding a bike with a clutch, I'd wake up in the mornings with a dead left hand. Confused

You can do the standard RSI style squeezy ball kinda exercises, but there's no real substitute for just putting the hours in and getting used to it.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 14:56 - 16 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

It should get better, but depending on the bike you might be able to move the bars a touch to slightly alter where you are putting the weight on your hands.

Also if you have aftermarket grips (especially heated ones) then these are larger which tends to make things less comfortable, especially if you have small hands.

All the best

Keith

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:47 - 17 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also buy a climbing grip to strengthen your hands if it really is a problem. I used to climb quite a lot around the time I was learning so I'd already got a fair amount of hand strengh.

https://www.cotswold-outdoor.com/Cat/2899

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:42 - 17 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you spent 3 hours riding on your first day of riding I'd expect some aches and pains. See how it goes after a month or two when you're used to everything and your body's adapated a bit Smile.

Ninja
Caption Abuser

PostPosted: 14:45 - 17 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

*tongue in cheek* - go faster! the added windblast/ parachute effect will 'lift' your weight off your hands to a certain extent . . . ahem

Pete
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:02 - 18 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be that you are tensed and maybe leaning on your hands on the bars a bit too much. I did the same on my trials bikes till I was comfortable with it. If you try to let your hands guide the bike and not keep you on the bike, should (hopefully) go away soon. Other than that, I think just keep putting in the miles!
All the best, Pete

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:31 - 18 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

My hands go numb after 20 mins on my bike. On long journeys my arms go tingly Laughing Tried to pinch the tank with my knees but that is too bloody difficult, so numb hands it is then.

izzi81
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 00:02 - 19 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had that for a few weeks when I got my NSR, then my hands got used to it. I just got a Ninja, and the problem is back all over again - sore hands! Riding seems to be the best exercise though..

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:45 - 19 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

flip wrote:
My hands go numb after 20 mins on my bike. On long journeys my arms go tingly Laughing Tried to pinch the tank with my knees but that is too bloody difficult, so numb hands it is then.

What bike are you riding? Some bikes can have a vibey spot at certain revs that can cause your hands to tingle and go numb. It can be around a decent cruising speed too, motorway or city riding. If you change up or down a gear or even adjust the speed slightly it can cure the problem.

I also had a problem with my Alpinestars gloves on the 02 Blade, at certain speeds my hands would go quite numb. I changed gloves and it sorted the problem, it seems the Alpinestars were just slightly too tight when gripping the bars on the new bike.

30sumthin gal
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 14:43 - 19 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help and advice. Very Happy

I have been out for about 5 hours a day on my NSR (new babe and all that...) and I think I had been gripping too much and trying to over-reach for the indicators and stuff. Now I am getting used to it, I don't tent to grip as hard, I move my hands now and the problem is easing. I don't know about being able to move the bars - I am 5ft 4ins and the positioning feels ok, its just where the switches are that seems to cause the problems - and the grip!

WE SHALL GET THERE!

I am loving every minute of it... I know its a 125, but i've already been asked by a Harley rider... "Are you allowed to have L plates on a 400 now" ... I didn't know you could get a NSR 400! typical Harley! He did say that it looked nice though and we did have a laugh about it when I pointed out the legality issues and the model etc... Happy and safe riding everyone!!! Thumbs Up

izzi81
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 18:07 - 19 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"Are you allowed to have L plates on a 400 now"

That's what I loved about my NSR - it didn't look like a 125!

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:36 - 19 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

dainesefreak wrote:
flip wrote:

What bike are you riding?

1990 Gixxer 750

RooRoo
Anal Intruder

PostPosted: 22:49 - 19 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That's what I loved about my NSR - it didn't look like a 125!

sounded like one though Laughing

izzi81
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 22:51 - 19 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

RooRoo wrote:

sounded like one though Laughing

yes, that it did Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 318 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1