Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


GPZ600r Throttle sticking

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Magnet
Crazy Courier



Joined: 13 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:08 - 30 Aug 2012    Post subject: GPZ600r Throttle sticking Reply with quote

My GPZ600R failed its MOT on a few things, one being the throttle not returning properly. I have tried re-routing it, but it makes no difference. It returns fine if I pull the cable out of the hand control, but one back on the bike it sticks. The twist grip is free moving so its not that, I assume its going to be the return springs on the carbs? Any ideas?
____________________
It’s not that I’m so smart, it’s just that I stay with problems longer.

GPZ600R Sold, Now ZZR600
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Casper
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:19 - 30 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Undo/losen the back cover of the switchgear and see if its returning faster. If so then something is snagging. Also lift the tank and try as the cable may be router wrong, if it works with the tank up then its snagging.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
_Iain_ This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Magnet
Crazy Courier



Joined: 13 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:24 - 30 Aug 2012    Post subject: Throttle Reply with quote

Confused Tried all that and it only returns when the cable is pulled while not connected to the twist grip. I think its gonna be carbs out for new springs. Crying or Very sad

I may invest in some new cables first to see if they are any better. I suppose it serves me right for buying a bike just because it was black lol Thumbs Down
____________________
It’s not that I’m so smart, it’s just that I stay with problems longer.

GPZ600R Sold, Now ZZR600
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Casper
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:30 - 30 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you stuck oil down the cables? The old lube inside could be bunged up with years of shit
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Magnet
Crazy Courier



Joined: 13 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:32 - 30 Aug 2012    Post subject: WD40 Reply with quote

Tried WD40, still no joy Rolling Eyes I would be quite happy leaving it as is, but Mr MOT man says no.
____________________
It’s not that I’m so smart, it’s just that I stay with problems longer.

GPZ600R Sold, Now ZZR600
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Casper
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:42 - 30 Aug 2012    Post subject: Re: WD40 Reply with quote

Magnet420 wrote:
Tried WD40, still no joy Rolling Eyes I would be quite happy leaving it as is, but Mr MOT man says no.


Mine does not return but that is due to changing the switchgear from another bike. I swap back to the old one when the MOT is due.

My money is on the return cable but you might as well get oil down both. Try and suck it up if you have a syringe or leave overnight in a bucket of oil. Your WD40 will not reach the middle of the cable. If you have the haynes manual it shows you somewhere how to adapt something to wrap round and leave overnight to oil them.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Magnet
Crazy Courier



Joined: 13 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:50 - 30 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, I will give it a go and see if it improves. I have nothing to lose trying I suppose. I bit off a bit more than I can chew buying this bike. I wanted a 600 Bandit and somehow ended up with a GPZ600R lol... Looked great, sounded great other than the horrid cam chain slap they all seem to do. Turns out all the swing arms bushes, suspension bushes are knackered. Plus I had to have new brake pistons, new fork seals, the list goes on Confused So I pay £400 for the bike, at least another £400 on repairs and after riding the er-6 I did my test on my bike feels like a bag of shit haha... Oh well, best start saving up Rolling Eyes
____________________
It’s not that I’m so smart, it’s just that I stay with problems longer.

GPZ600R Sold, Now ZZR600
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Casper
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:59 - 30 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were good bike in there day. I had the GPX600 and that blew up racing a dam siera on the Edinburgh bypass. Lucky it was at a slip road so i did not lose face. I got another 2nd hand engine and did the same a few month later. Cam chain adjuster was shit to start with. If you thing the chain is good look into a manual one. Lots of parts were used in other Kawasaki's round the same year so plenty cheap parts kicking around. Yeah 400 sounds a bit high. I have seen bandits going for 500 with an MOT.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Magnet
Crazy Courier



Joined: 13 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:13 - 30 Aug 2012    Post subject: GPZ600R Reply with quote

£400 was about right I thought as the overall condition is good other than the issues lol. Its done 40k, but I have seen many go way over that. I will probably keep it 6 months and then look for something else. I have spent so much on the CBT, theory and DAS that it didn't really leave me any real cash for something nicer. I do like the look of the GPZ, I just find it feels so small after riding the ER-6 on my training/test. I like the bulky feel of the bike and its black Very Happy

https://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd352/GTR_turbo/GPZ600r/GPZ.jpg
____________________
It’s not that I’m so smart, it’s just that I stay with problems longer.

GPZ600R Sold, Now ZZR600
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

GPZ600R
Nova Slayer



Joined: 07 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:53 - 02 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

The throttle cables have an adjuster on them, in the middle, normally sit right between the plugs 1 and 2 if routed correctly, These are too tight and that is preventing the throttle from returning. These are to adjust the free play in the gas on and gas off throttle cables. Loosen them off, but make sure you keep an eye on the throttle, last thing you need is too much play, its a bitch when coming out of a tight corner and you want to give a little gas and you spend too long taking up the slack,, been caught out by surprise a few times on that one !!

As always, with a picture. Red shows the throttle cables, loosen here. The green circle is the choke adjuster.

https://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j124/Omega25/GPZ600R/throttles.jpg
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Magnet
Crazy Courier



Joined: 13 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:14 - 02 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will have a go at that tomorrow, thanks for the advice Very Happy If I pull the cable when not in the twist grip it does return, but when in the twist grip it doesn't very well. I have checked the grip and that is nice and loose. It will return when the steering is traight but not at either lock. I re-routed the cables over the top of them pipes, but to no avail.
____________________
It’s not that I’m so smart, it’s just that I stay with problems longer.

GPZ600R Sold, Now ZZR600
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

GPZ600R
Nova Slayer



Joined: 07 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:04 - 03 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, i hear the throttle is sorted, now here is the drain pulg for your coolant system, 8mm plug:

https://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j124/Omega25/GPZ600R/GPZ600R00015-1.jpg
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

lihp
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:02 - 03 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

What condition are the cables in? It may be worth either new cables or oiling your existing cables
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

GPZ600R
Nova Slayer



Joined: 07 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:12 - 04 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Throttles are sorted now ,,, was the adjusters. They were too tight
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 36 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.66 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 87.22 Kb