Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Charging Woes

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Sandgrounder
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 02 Sep 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 06:58 - 02 Sep 2012    Post subject: Charging Woes Reply with quote

First post, here goes, 2000 Blackbird Fi, I'm only getting 12.5 v at the battery, new alt, new battery, new reg/rec. All tested OK, when I unplug the RR (not the alt) and plug in cables to another battery on the garage floor I get 14.5v . When I connect those leads onto the bike battery I get 12.5v. I have re-sloderd (?) the earths. I can feel heat in the wires around the plug/socket when the R/R is conected to the bike battery. I can't understand what's going on where is the missing 2v going? I have a 2nd hand R/R and get the same readings. The alt is putting out the correct AC voltage, I don't understand why it works OK on a battery on the floor but not the bike one!! There is continuity along all the wires + & - and to earth PLEASE HELP!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jjdugen
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Jun 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:15 - 02 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm..

First check I would do would be to disconnect the positive lead at the battery and measure your volts, engine running, and verify that you are getting circa 14 volts.
If you are, then it is one of two things. Your new battery is faulty, (bad cell (s)), or you have a short in the loom.

As all seems to be well when running with the external battery, I would point the finger at the new one.
____________________
The CBR900RR has been sold. Aprilia Falco worms its way into my heart.
Try Soi 23 on Amazon for a good read.... Self promotion? Moi?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sandgrounder
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 02 Sep 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:25 - 02 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, when I borrowed the second battery I fitted into the bike and put mine on the floor, no difference 14.5v (at idle) but same problem with the battery on the bike.
When disconnected the battery it shows 13v at idle, when rev'd then the green immobiliser light comes on as the engine stops. I've had the battery checked and is OK I can leave it a week (or longer) and it starts no trouble. I don't think the trouble lies with the 3 charging components i.e. battery, alt, R/R they have all been checked and swopped for known good ones, it's something I don't know about.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Casper
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:53 - 02 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chaf wire. Stick the meter back on and pull apart block connectors one at a time as you might be lucky to find a chaff not on the loom. How about the alarm taking power. Have you any other electrical items added like high watt bulbs in the main lamps? could be taking more power that the system can handle.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Aug 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:28 - 02 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a Honda the regulated +12v is sent around the bike via the black wire.This is switched by the ignition switch via the red wire,which is direct from the battery.Disconnect the battery and connect a resistance meter between the red and black wires and switch the ignition switch on.You should read zero ohms.If there is anything higher than say 2 or 3 ohms this can cause heat buildup and cause a resulting voltage drop.
Once this has been checked reconnect the battery and measure the +12v at the red and the black wires with respect to earth/ground/chassis.
Another test to perform is to connect the resistance meter to the negative side of the battery and to a known good earth/ground/chassis point somewhere on the bike.This should read zero ohms.If even 2 or 3 ohms show then clean all of the earth points/green wire contacts.
____________________
Just talk bikes.What else is there?

Always have a 'Plan B'
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
unitynotsocri... This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Bezzer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:41 - 02 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the connectors at the reg/rec and wiring down to the stator, it's common on Blackbirds for bits of them to start melting, people end up hardwiring them.
.....and
the $64,000 question has the loom fix been done??it's the cause of many problems electrical on the FI 'bird but is an easy DIY hardwire fix. I bit the bullet years ago and was the first to try it, did a how to on it if you want a long read Very Happy Even if it isn't the cause of your problem it should be done as a preventative measure.
https://www.bikersoracle.com/blackbird/forum/showthread.php?t=16438
____________________
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not quite so sure.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Sandgrounder
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 02 Sep 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:07 - 05 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for the time and trouble in replying guys.

I've tried all the tests, and when I said I resolderd (?) the earths, that was the 'loom fix' I was refering to, I 'fixed' it two years ago. There's zero ohms where there should be, and continuity where there should be, although this bit bothers me, if there is a large wire to carry a large current and it has worn through reducing it to only a couple of strands it would show continuity, wouldn't if? but it couldn't carry the correct current (would it ?) if so could it produce my trouble? I know I'm asking more questions buy I'm still only getting 12v at the battery with the engine running and the sun's shining.

Thanks again.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nb
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:56 - 05 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandgrounder wrote:
Thanks very much for the time and trouble in replying guys.

I've tried all the tests, and when I said I resolderd (?) the earths, that was the 'loom fix' I was refering to, I 'fixed' it two years ago. There's zero ohms where there should be, and continuity where there should be, although this bit bothers me, if there is a large wire to carry a large current and it has worn through reducing it to only a couple of strands it would show continuity, wouldn't if? but it couldn't carry the correct current (would it ?) if so could it produce my trouble? I know I'm asking more questions buy I'm still only getting 12v at the battery with the engine running and the sun's shining.

Thanks again.


You are right to bothered by resistance testing, its near enough pointless on anything except thin wire because of the ability to pass the very small current the meter sends out to check the resistance of the wire.
Far better to use voltage drop testing on the wire with the circuit turned on
This might help you hopefully--
https://www.crookedriverwriter.com/index.php?/Automotive-Topics/voltage-drop-testing.html
____________________
Cbr1100xx blackbird gone, mk4 golf gt tdi chav now
Colin1 wrote 'Im grateful for what i can get, which isnt all that much.'
Columbus travel insurance are crap!! Do not use!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man



Joined: 16 May 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:28 - 05 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fix/test in this situation would be to run a number of additional earths.

Try running additional earth leads from the engine to frame, and from the back of the reg/reg to frame, and one from the frame to the battery negative lead.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 37 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 3.05 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 66.83 Kb