Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Non motorised bicycles

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
View previous topic : View next topic  

AJ9000
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 15:24 - 13 Sep 2012    Post subject: Non motorised bicycles Reply with quote

In a moment of weakness I have agreed to do a triathlon next June. It is the half Ironman distance, meaning a bike ride of 56 miles. I don't have a bike. (I also don't (not can't) swim, because I find it interminably boring, but that is another topic).

So, I need a bicycle, assuming I can't do it on my Kawasaki. Now I know absolutely nothing about them, other than the number of wheels, but an amount of research indicates that "entry level" proper bikes are about £700 upwards. Given the length of the ride, and, therefore, the loads of training miles I will have to do, I feel I do need a decent light bike so I won't be doing the run like John Wayne with piles.

My question though, is where (i.e. at what price point) will I stop feeling the difference?

I also don't understand the shoe/clip thing so any help appreciated,

TL:DR I need a decent bike, how much should I spend??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ToxicChicken
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:26 - 13 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about the whole bicycle thing. But I used to do spinning classes and lots of people wear them there as apparently they help you to kind of push and pull with your feet and obviously grip the pedals. Makes it easier I suppose! Smile hope that's a but helpful. Hope it goes well!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kotachi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:32 - 13 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get a perfectly good road cross (bike with a frame that CAN be fitted with off-road wheels and tyres but is usually a road bike) for around, as you say, £700.

You can spend in the region of £1-£3k for a competitive triathlon levelled bike, one of my friends is a Loughborough Triathlete and her bike is worth £4k, but assuming you are merely doing it for the challenge/charity/some other equally noble but not competitive reason, then a road cross should be fine.

And with regards to clip-on's, there are basically 3 types of pedal, normal pedals, cages and clip-on's.

With respect to triathlons and long rides;
normal < cages < clip-on's,

as each level makes the up-pulls easeir and more efficient!
Suntan Sid said: "Look at it this way, your employer wants to pay you the minimum amount, it thinks it can get away with, and extract from you the maximum amount of graft. Ergo it's your responsibility to ensure that karma is restored and you do as little work as you think you can get away with, for the maximum amount of money."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:54 - 13 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go second hand.

You can get decent quality, older racer bikes fairly cheaply. Especially if you get one from the pre brifter era (brifters are brakes and gear shifters in one so you pull them to brake and knock them sideways to change gear).

If you're prepared to have a gear shift on the crossbar, you can get competition standard racer bikes for a couple of hundred quid.

Most cities will have a bicycle recycling co-op/charity and all the wee scrotes want mountain bikes, not racer bikes.

Look out for anything with a Reynolds steel tubing frame.

You want 700C size wheels, alloy rims and you want some super-skinny tyres with loads of pressure in them. Don't worry too much about fancy brakes, you can upgrade to modern callipers.

Some of the really good ones will have campagnola gears but be aware that they use odd sizes so if they need parts, it can be expensive. Shimano 105 is generally accepted as the entry-level gear stuff for serious competition.

Don't get one off ebay unless you're going out to see it. The geometry is WAY more important than the sum of the parts, it's got to fit you.

Sheldon Brown was always the oracle on all matters bicycle. He was a prolific web author and all his stuff has been kept for posterity. Have a good browse about. If there is anything you need to find out about a bicycle, add "sheldon" to the search string and there will usually be a detailed article:
https://sheldonbrown.com/beginners/index.html

You see stuff like THIS

It's old fashioned but people were using bikes like this in the tour de France 20 years ago. It has a superb quality steel frame and campagnola everything. This bike would have cost several thousand pounds when it was new. BUT you really do need to sit on them.

AJ9000
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 09:02 - 14 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone, and especially stinkwheel.

In terms of geometry, having not ridden a racing bike, how will I know if it fits. Evidently if it is far too small or big I should realise but it seems that frames come in 2cm increments. Would that matter as the saddle can adjust?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 09:59 - 14 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJ9000 wrote:
Thanks everyone, and especially stinkwheel.

In terms of geometry, having not ridden a racing bike, how will I know if it fits. Evidently if it is far too small or big I should realise but it seems that frames come in 2cm increments. Would that matter as the saddle can adjust?

Have a browse about on Sheldon Browns sites. Here's a good starting point:
https://sheldonbrown.com/frame-sizing.html

Long and short of it, the actual stated frame size is irrelevant because it's meaningless other than to compare two bicycles of the same make and model. You have to sit on it and see how far forwards you are having to reach, the height of your hands in relation to your backside and how far back or forward your feet land up being. The length of the top tube and headset (the bit the bars attach to) dimensions are much more important than the frame size.

OR, if you go into a proper independant bike shop, you can pay someone who knows what they are doing to do you a fitting session. Importantly, you are paying them for the fitting session, NOT to sell you a bike, otherwise it will miraculously turn out that this one the have in stock just happens to be the perfect size for you. Much cheapness, suits you sir.

By proper bike shop, I mean an independant bicycle shop that has a small selection of four-figure bicycles on display in the window, not a multi-national chain and ESPECIALLY not halfords who might, on rare occasions, accidentally employ someone who is passionate and knowledgeable about bicycles.

D O G
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:57 - 14 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

While Stinkwheel is helpful, I do disagree with him on the vintage bike thng.

Parts will be more difficult to comeby, the wheels will probably be past their best (stuck nipples anyone), it will be heavier, will need more care and will probably be more worn than something newer.

I'd go second hand, but a mosdern Alu frame and Carbon fork, with Shimano kit (105 is fine as Stinky says).

Something like this....

2 Year old Specialized for £550.

hellbound
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:08 - 14 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my mountain bike from asda for 59.99

its still working and still takes a beating 4 years later

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:58 - 14 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

D O G wrote:
While Stinkwheel is helpful, I do disagree with him on the vintage bike thng.

Parts will be more difficult to comeby, the wheels will probably be past their best (stuck nipples anyone), it will be heavier, will need more care and will probably be more worn than something newer.

I'd go second hand, but a mosdern Alu frame and Carbon fork, with Shimano kit (105 is fine as Stinky says).

Something like this....

2 Year old Specialized for £550.

That does indeed look like a bargain.

Suspiciously cheap though for what it is?

On a more technical than we need to be getting into point, I wouldn't say lightness is necessarily everything and a high-end steel frame would be weighing in at about the same as a mid-rage alu one. Stiffness and ride quality have an important part to play and steel frames are, in general, much nicer to ride on.

I rode a very expensive carbon frame bike once and it was awful. It bent and flexed in disturbing ways and the front wheel kept coming up off the ground if you tried to power up a hill. They are light but take some technique to ride and you're constantly up and down the gears.

Mrs stinkwheel agreed and went down the titanium route.

But broadly, yeah. Aluminium is a good compromise between the ride quality of steel and the lightness of carbon.

I suppose the weight of the OP would also be a potential factor. If he's like me (I'm a big guy) then it's worth taking into consideration that a lot of the super lightweight bike componants simply will not stand the strain. I've bent dropouts, stripped out cranks and even snapped hubs before, just by stomping on the pedals. Racing cyclists are light.

EDIT: And don't get me started to what 17 stone banging on the pedals does to a 10 speed chain and cassette. Sometimes less is more. A 7 speed chain can just about cope with me battering at it. After 25 miles on the hills in Majorca last year I had the 10 speed chain physically rattling because the plates were so loose and stretched.

Dork? Moi?
https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/stinkwheel/mallorca%202010/DSCN0565.png

D O G
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:20 - 14 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I suppose the weight of the OP would also be a potential factor. If he's like me (I'm a big guy) then it's worth taking into consideration that a lot of the super lightweight bike componants simply will not stand the strain. I've bent dropouts, stripped out cranks and even snapped hubs before, just by stomping on the pedals. Racing cyclists are light.

EDIT: And don't get me started to what 17 stone banging on the pedals does to a 10 speed chain and cassette. Sometimes less is more. A 7 speed chain can just about cope with me battering at it. After 25 miles on the hills in Majorca last year I had the 10 speed chain physically rattling because the plates were so loose and stretched.

17 stone is going to hurt stuff I would agree - I'd be concerned with lightweight wheels, which just wouldn't take that sort of pain. I think most are rated OK for 100kg rider, any more than that and you risk it breaking.

As for chains, well I run a 9 speed and have only snapped one, due to poor maintenance more than anything. Agree that the top end stuff is pointless, costs more, breaks more often.

Stay at the cheaper end of things (like the Sora stuff on the Allez linked - which is a bit sus on price), and they will be fine for 90% of people.
Drew This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

AJ9000
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 09:07 - 17 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input.

I have had a good chat with a couple of guys and booked in to test ride a specialized and a trek on Wednesday at a local shop.

I just about understand the shoe thing now and also where the money goes when you buy a bike.

I suspect that fit will be most important as being a newbie I am sure I wont be able to tell the difference between bikes of a similar spec from different producers.

The saddles do look awfully small though......

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:00 - 17 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJ9000 wrote:

The saddles do look awfully small though......

There is room to manouver and you don't need a total razor blade job BUT don't fool yourself into thinking a wide, squidgy saddle is more comfortable.

It is for a short journey but after say 20 miles, you start to notice it's rubbing on your inside leg a little bit. After 40 miles you start to notice you're getting a little red there. After 60 miles, you can't walk the next day.

If you need more padding, you can get padded shorts but you DO need a fairly narrow, pointy-nosed saddle if you're doing any distance.

Also, invest in some really well fitting underpants with minimal seams that do not ruck-up.

AJ9000
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 10:40 - 18 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off tomorrow to the bike shop, and have a triathlete trainer coming with me to look at fit etc.

Think I might be in for serious wallet bashing.

Not sure I can ask to try on the underpants.....

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:17 - 18 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJ9000 wrote:
Off tomorrow to the bike shop, and have a triathlete trainer coming with me to look at fit etc.

Think I might be in for serious wallet bashing.

Not sure I can ask to try on the underpants.....

I did see these ones, which amused me somewhat and they are apparently very good:
https://www.bawbags.com/acatalog/BB-CDS-Panda.jpg
The acronym of "Thermal Wicking Active Technology" is a good-un.

Carl_steveo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:51 - 18 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also looking for a road bike but really can't be spending £700 I'd be lucky if I had £400. I'm not after it for a decathalon or anything like that just as a keep fit. Spotted a few in *whispers* Halfords *whispers*. They had a carrera virtuoso for £379 last week, it went up £550 yesterday. It was worth getting in my opinion at £379 but not full price.

AJ9000
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:00 - 18 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'd rather ride naked than wear those.

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 21:42 - 18 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only reason I would go against stinky with regards to vintage bikes is that the geometry is not necessarily conducive to being tri-bar friendly if you are going to adopt a time trial position.

Now is the best time to buy brand new as 2012 bikes are being sold off cheap.

In terms of sizing, always buy a bike that is slightly too small, rather than slightly too big. You can add longer stems and raise saddles, you cannot do the reverse. (within reason)
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

truslack
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:34 - 19 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for a narrow seat! When I did LEJOG, 900 miles on a razor blade seat was comfier than doing the last 120miles on a tandem with a wide soft seat - that thing killed my arse.

AJ9000
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 08:43 - 21 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well - I now am the proud owner of a Specialized Allez Elite.

With lots of advice from both the shop and someone who came with me on the test ride it all seems to fit perfectly.

Have ordered the gay shoes to go with the SPD SL cleats and even some padded shorts. I refuse to wear a polka dot top, however.

When shoes arrive am having them set up by the experts which will apparently help stop my knees falling apart.

Getting used to gear changes by using the brake levers is tricky, but other than that it seems quite easy to ride. Where's the entry form for the Tour de France?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 12:48 - 21 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have vague plans to do a Triathlon next year - just as a general fitness goal.
My vague aim I reckon is do the Ben Nevis mountain bike one in September which is half iron man kinda distance, but fairly tough.
(However, I should point out I can't swim very well at all and am currently suffering from some nasty upper back pain, so may well end up sitting on my backside surfing the 'net instead.)

Note that if you're specifically training for a road triathlon you should probably consider changing your bike configuration to a 'triathlon' style.
I have only looked in to it a little bit, but the bike is generally set up with the seat further forward and tilted down. This uses a different part of your leg, which helps you 'save' it for the running portion after.
And then that puts you in to using 'tri bars' rather than standard drop bars. It depends on the climbs etc; I get a bit confused while the different styles, but Time Trial/Triathlon have different bars to road race, which is expected to meet more varied terrain.

I might get some tri bars for my hybrid, but plan was to do that anyway just to get a bit more speed on the down-hill bits when riding around generally.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 211 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1