BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Crash at Bassets pole

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 19:01 - 19 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't stop bike meets Rolling Eyes that's one of the biggest factors of biking, the community, the meet ups, things to do etc. You don't get that as much with cars and without bike meets then biking will be a lot more boring.

It's bad news to hear of the accident but bike meets will never get closed, if an attempt to close them is tried then they'll just move and probably get even more dangerous.

gixernige
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:04 - 19 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to hear about the lady from bassets pole. i was there doin a few stand up wheelies and having a play
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nighteyes
Dirty Bint

PostPosted: 19:14 - 19 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad Oh dear, this is awful news!
I'm afraid I have to agree with Shaun on this one though, where I don't think for a second it even occurred to the rider something could go so horribly wrong during his stunt and result in fatalities/injuries.....but someone did die as a result, consequences should be faced up to!
I just feel terrible for the family who have lost someone so needlessly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M1ke
Ped Boi

PostPosted: 19:16 - 19 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised That was you! I didn't know you went to bassets. You were the only one doing stand up wheelies, very impressive Cool (almost as good as the c90 wheelying anyway Wink )
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:21 - 19 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

mazza wrote:
Thanks to the work done by the organisers to ensure they're as safe as they can reasonably be at the present day.

And such measures are what results in the crowds being far from the scene, caged in, and probably more inclined to go somewhere with a better view even with greater risks.

mazza wrote:
But these events organised in the this way, are an accident waiting to happen. Unfortunately, on occasions (such as this one), they're serious.

This event in particular is not organised.

I don't think you can or should stop such meets, and I am not sure how they legally could short of prosecuting people for some fairly serious but dubiously worded offences (Riot), and I certainly do not want to live in a country where the authorities would stoop that low.

There was another local meet in Cannock that was closed down a few years ago. The police used the health and safety laws to threaten the landlord of the pub, saying that they would revoke his licence. The accident that caused this was reported as a serious accident. The only person involved was the rider, who fell off at low speed, banged his head and was a touch groggy so was taken to hospital and kept in overnight for suspected concussion. Overnight stay in hospital means the injury is officially recorded as serious, so you can see how accidents can be misrepresented to allow the police to crack down.

Personally I doubt they will manage to prosecute him for manslaughter and that they will later charge him with causing death by dangerous driving (they cannot interview him once they have charged him, so he will not have been charged yet), but that is still a serious offence.

However I do wonder if they might try and stick a corporate manslaughter charge on McDonalds / the pub for not stopping the meet.

All the best

Keith

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:25 - 19 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

By the way the BBC news story has been updated.

Quote:
The biker, 28, broke his wrist. He has been arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving.

All the best

Keith

gixernige
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:26 - 19 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes that was me with the orange wheels doing a few stunts

ratcliffe
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:31 - 19 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was there last night, but left about 20 minutes before the crash happenned. I was sitting on the grass further around the bend back towards the roundabout, as I won't go further down for precisely this reason.
When I left, I went out of the entrance on the dual carriageway, and went straight round the roundabout and headed back towards Tamworth, there were massive crowds on the straight, and a fair bit of larking around going on. It was definitely starting to get a little hairy when I left.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ant
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:27 - 19 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen that bloke getting his knee down a few times and as mike say's people cheer him on!
It obviously went wrong and i feel for the family of the woman but i think manslaughter is a tad harsh!
Maybee there making an example of him??

sv_cath
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 22:17 - 19 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't stop thinking about this - it's awful and could happen to any one of us. My heart goes out to everyone involved.
It's a shame, but I think things like this and Boxhill, etc are going to have to be marshalled in some way, maybe by regulars who know what you can safely get up to, to try and prevent anything like this happening again.

BLacKPooLLaD
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:33 - 19 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The crowd are 2 blame aswell as the biker as they was egging him on so he is gonna do more, if they didn't like it then they wouldn't of done anything or walked away, they was there 2 watch people arseing around anyway. But its bit fecked that the lady died that biker will get fecked over and that event will have alot more Policing or closed down or something.

Luke

AF1Racing.com

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 22:54 - 19 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

sv_cath wrote:

It's a shame, but I think things like this and Boxhill, etc are going to have to be marshalled in some way.

Trouble is, who is going to pay the very large insurance premium that would be demanded to cover the liability of those marshalling.

All the best

Keith

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 22:58 - 19 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

A guy on usenet where I lurk posted the following, with the subject, "Well, that's me not on TV then."

Quote:
Time: 6PM(ish)

A BBC Reporter wanders over to Mr Buckley and I, with cameraman in tow
and starts up with something along the lines of:

"Excuse me, Yesterday there was a bike accident at an unauthorised
'biker's rally' bearing in mind that this lead to multiple injuries and
a fatality do you think that unauthorised bike rallies such as this one
should be allowed?"

Well, I've heard some crap in my time but that took the cake.

"Excuse me? Firstly I'd like to question the assumption that this is a
bike rally, authorised or not. This is a pub, and pretty much everyone
in this car park has already been inside and bought a drink.. a lot of
the people here, like us two are just dropping in on the way home after
work to have a quiet chat and a drink with other bikers. What makes us
any different to regular customers?"

<Camera pans to the floor, BBC presenter goes quiet, whilst she thinks.>

"Well the person that died yesterday wasn't a biker, they were just
standing by the road watching, and the bike flew into the crowd.
Someone died."

Unbiassed reporting, my arse.

Still, on a more positive note, she did have nice tits.

The online BBC news report seemed alright and not biassed, this report, however seems very biassed!

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 23:11 - 19 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

mazza wrote:
Nobody, presumably knows where not to stand.

When did we stop crediting people with common sense? Surely it doesn't take a Heath and Safety officer to tell people that standing on the outside of a bend where people are doing knee down is dangerous.

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 23:13 - 19 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBC News Online wrote:
Inspector Mark Payne, who is leading an investigation into the incident, defended the way the event was handled.

"We've policed it in this way since 2001 and this is the first time there's been an accident here.

"The gathering is not organised and consists of motorcyclists who gather to show off their vehicles, but the majority of those attending are responsible and law-abiding motorcyclists."

Thumbs Up

ratcliffe
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 02:33 - 20 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've chatted to a few of the Police guys over the years of going to the Pole, but I don't think I've chatted to this Mick Payne guy, obviously just not come accross him. He makes a lot of sense with what he said in the various reports today... hopefully this will come across when the whole thing is reviewed, which it surely will be.

sv_cath
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 09:06 - 20 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Trouble is, who is going to pay the very large insurance premium that would be demanded to cover the liability of those marshalling.

That's why I thought maybe regulars would be best to do it - people that are happy to help out without sueing the pants off anyone if something goes wrong...

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 09:53 - 20 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Sorry Cath, what I meant was people suing the marshalls. They would need insurance (given the current sue happy attitude in this country), probably at a fairly large cost to avoid the possibility of a very large claim against themselves personally.

All the best

Keith

sv_cath
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 11:12 - 20 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I see what you mean!
What a crappy old world this is sometimes - I hate this 'sue everyone' mentality. What happened to good old 'looking out for each other'?
Sad

mazza
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 11:54 - 20 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

sv_cath wrote:
Oh, I see what you mean!
What a crappy old world this is sometimes - I hate this 'sue everyone' mentality. What happened to good old 'looking out for each other'?
Sad

Sadly that's true. Perhaps that's what the drive on 'safety' is all about. Effectively compensates the deficiency of 'looking out for each other'.

bunny-chan
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:29 - 20 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was talking to my pops about this morning and he put across a good point. apparently there's been a few motor accidents on corners similar to that one and the one up the road. He says, and i quote, "Why the f**K hasn't the council put barriers on those bends?"...fair comment, most corners do have some kind of protector.
Since he's a lorry driver I'm sure he's seen some bends in his time.

I thought Midlands today were fair and unbiased either way to bikers and Thumbs Up to the police man for speaking the truth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:33 - 20 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I went to the Waterman it was marshalled, don't know who it was doing it but they all had orange vests on. They stood on the side of the road that the pub was on and guided everyone into parking. Admittedly this was a couple of years ago I haven't been recently, but I'd assumed it had been marshalled from that day on.

ratcliffe
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:48 - 20 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are occasionally a couple of guys by the entrance to the pub car park at the Pole, but I don't know if they are officially doing anything, or just helping out...

bumper
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 15:03 - 20 May 2004    Post subject: knee downs Reply with quote

Quote:
is getting your knee down illegal

yes and no.......
according to an article in super bike it is all down to the officers discretion if he or she is in a good mood.
They could either do you for not having proper control of your bike..
they might slap you on the wrist and send you on your way with a £30 fixed penalty (when there in a good mood) or if their pissed off they could do you for riding with no due care and attention which could be up to 9 points and a £1000 fine.

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 18:45 - 21 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small update.

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/staffordshire/3731939.stm
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 315 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3