Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Pushbike stuff at Aldi - any good? (From 27/09/12)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 12:10 - 21 Sep 2012    Post subject: Pushbike stuff at Aldi - any good? (From 27/09/12) Reply with quote

https://aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/offers_week39Thursday12.htm

I could do with - reflective waterproof jacket, maybe trousers, maybe shoes (I have mtb 'boots', but been doing a fair bit of road stuff for getting about with calorie burn) and maybe the tool kit for the bike-specific stuff.

Is it worth it, or should I be on ebay etc?

Also considering 'compression' stuff, but it seems the jury's still out on that being useful or not.

D O G
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:00 - 21 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the new section!

Anyway.

Clothing looks OK - might get one of the winter tops myself.

Shoes - for road use they don't look worthwhile, as the holes for SPD cleats look wrong. Most are three hole design, not two like those ones. I've just bought some road SPD's from Shimano, and they are three hole.

Get a second and pair from ebay. I did that in 2005 and I'm still using them.

Tool kit looks pretty decent, pretty much all you need. I suspect it won't work with Campag stuff, they normally have different sizes for the freewheel 'thing' (needed to hold still when removing a cassete), and may not be able to remove all bottom brackets, but there is some useful stuff there. I paid £35 for a very similar set a couple of years ago.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 13:07 - 21 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think a similar set in halfords was at least £40, maybe more.
I do have some of the tools already, but scattered around in a massive pile of personal 'storage' stuff in a room at work.

Will have to have a look in to SPDs and road versus off-road etc. Never tried them before, though did have some shoes that came with them, wimped out.

D O G
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:11 - 21 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are the sort of road shoes I'd go for.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 13:17 - 21 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

While they look better than the carbon-clogs a work mate used to have, I'm not sure if I'm quite ready for that level of lycra-ness!

Ta for the suggestion anyway, probably will end up with something like that in the long run - but I'll need to get appropriate pedals and cleats first anyway.

Just reading this: https://www.cyclorama.net/viewArticle.php?id=376&subjectId=9 - think I might leave the shoes for a bit and consider further.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 20:18 - 21 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:

Just reading this: https://www.cyclorama.net/viewArticle.php?id=376&subjectId=9 - think I might leave the shoes for a bit and consider further.

I think you are referring to the bit of that article which says that the benefit of toe clips and clipon shoes doesnt increase cycling efficiency.

That is probably true for 90% of sat in the seat cycling, but there is no doubt in my mind that out of the seat sprint, benefits from being able to push round the crank on the upstroke aswell as the down stroke. So more power not more efficient.

I personally think they should make cycling shoes with flexible soles not stiff soles, as the leg and foot are designed to give out more energy by extending the foot and toes.

Clanger
Stirrer

PostPosted: 20:30 - 21 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also at Lidl's too. I did look at the gloves, with a view to wearing them as driving gloves, but from the choice of colours, the bright yellow ones were the only ones in my small hand size. Sad

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:56 - 21 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin1 wrote:

That is probably true for 90% of sat in the seat cycling, but there is no doubt in my mind that out of the seat sprint, benefits from being able to push round the crank on the upstroke aswell as the down stroke. So more power not more efficient.

I think you're wrong.

If you get out of the seat and try to pull up with one leg while you push down with the other, you'll fall over sideways. You need to keep some weight on both feet to balance.

Power is nothing without control and another factor is that if you push too hard on the pedals on a modern carbon framed racer, it will flip up and stamp an imprint of the headstock on your forehead. You've got to spin them.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 21:18 - 21 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
colin1 wrote:

I think you're wrong.

If you get out of the seat and try to pull up with one leg while you push down with the other, you'll fall over sideways. You need to keep some weight on both feet to balance.

You would be right if I were riding a unicycle, but I hold the handlebars.

So as I press down with my left foot, and pull up with my right, the bike will have a tendency to lean to the left, which is countered by me pushing down on the right handlebar.

That's why the bike leans to and fro, when you get out of the saddle and sprint.

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 21:20 - 21 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:

That reads like a bit of good old 'internet bollocks' that you tend to get on any topic.

From personal experience I think proper stiff shoes & clipless pedals are the biggest £-for-speed gain you can make with a road/hybrid bike, and I was a massive sceptic before I tried them out. Being firmly attached to the drive train makes a big difference to how much power you put out, even if you do have to master the art of not falling on your arse at traffic lights.

It also feels like you're using different muscles on the 'pull' as opposed to 'push' stroke, so even when your legs are properly fucked you can get a bit more out of them this way. YMMV...

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:21 - 21 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up to size 10. Swines Evil or Very Mad

I use SPDs when cycling and wouldn't be without them (or a toe clip at the very least for those times when not wearing cleats), got the pedal set up with a standard mud cage on the one side so it can be used flat and a clip on the reverse to be kicked into when required. Don't do much serious dirt riding at the moment but I've found them to be fine with both tarmac and the short cross country/downhill sections I've been playing around on in local parkland. Bear in mind that a set of MTB shoes will generally be stiffer/heavier than road shoes by quite a margin.

When clipped in I'll be on the seat while pedalling, the whole concept is to allow you to use more muscle in the action and to avoid bad form by using your weight on the downstroke.

D O G
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:53 - 21 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korn wrote:
G wrote:

That reads like a bit of good old 'internet bollocks' that you tend to get on any topic.

From personal experience I think proper stiff shoes & clipless pedals are the biggest £-for-speed gain you can make with a road/hybrid bike, and I was a massive sceptic before I tried them out. Being firmly attached to the drive train makes a big difference to how much power you put out, even if you do have to master the art of not falling on your arse at traffic lights.

It also feels like you're using different muscles on the 'pull' as opposed to 'push' stroke, so even when your legs are properly fucked you can get a bit more out of them this way. YMMV...

All of the above is true. That article is utter bollocks.

D O G
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:55 - 21 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Power is nothing without control and another factor is that if you push too hard on the pedals on a modern carbon framed racer, it will flip up and stamp an imprint of the headstock on your forehead. You've got to spin them.

Try telling that to Greipel as he sprints on his 53/11 ratio.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:57 - 21 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

D O G wrote:

Try telling that to Greipel as he sprints on his 53/11 ratio.

You can spin 53/11. He does. It's just that he's going really fucking fast.

D O G
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:07 - 21 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

He'll be putting a shitload more torque through it than you or I ever could tho, without flipping over.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:48 - 22 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

D O G wrote:
He'll be putting a shitload more torque through it than you or I ever could tho, without flipping over.

Which is where the control comes in. He's not pedalling with his legs, he's pedalling by using his core muscles to connect his arms and legs together.

Watch a video, the pedalling movement comes from a horizontal wave through the centre of his abdomen, when the leg goes back, the arm on the opposite side pushes forwards, the arm on the same side pulls back, the force is balanced and in the centre of the bike. The crossbar takes a hammering.

I would also say he's pretty much constantly on the verge of flipping over. Just like WSB riders are on the verge of doing a wheelie out of every corner.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 01:19 - 22 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Science' seems to think there's at best limited benefits.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9349655
Quote:
The maximal power output was significantly higher during cycling with toe clips (782 W vs 668 W, P < 0.05), probably because of the pulling action at low and medium velocities as indicated by the higher value of the extrapolated maximal torque T0 (138 N x m vs 122 N x m, P < 0.05). In contrast, the maximal extrapolated velocity, V0 and peak velocity were not significantly improved by the use of toe clips. The comparison of the angle-torque patterns at low and high velocities suggested that the kinetic energy of the legs can be transformed into power output when cycling without toe clips as well as it can when cycling with toe clips.

I've been trying to find the full text of a 1992 Study by Faria which is cited by a few others, but haven't found it yet.

RealNinja
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:26 - 22 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the subject of being clipped into the pedals..

I have used SPD's for years now, both on and off road, and would never use 'proper' pedals again.

Although, to be fair, they can be a bit of a pain in the arse in urban traffic cycling, once you get used to them and have had a few comedy 'can't get unclipped fast enough' moments (and yes, it will happen!) you learn to judge the situation in front you a bit more cleverly.

The ability to be able to pull up on the pedals as well as push down is priceless when you are are half way up that hill and your legs are screaming at you, pulling up uses totally different muscles and allows you to recover while still keeping momentum.

Just dont try walking very far in the shoes... Laughing

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:26 - 26 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

£5 off a £35 shop in Aldi with Thursday's Mirror if you're planning on getting anything.

I was reminded on Sunday that I do have pedals for cleats - when I did a mountainbike event and didn't get the chance to swap pedals. They still work a bit as a 'normal' pedal, but were significantly lacking in grip which made it 'interesting' on the fast downhill bits with jumpy things in.

So that could make sense to swap those on to my scourer.

bikertomm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:20 - 29 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin1 wrote:
G wrote:

I think you are referring to the bit of that article which says that the benefit of toe clips and clipon shoes doesnt increase cycling efficiency.

I personally think they should make cycling shoes with flexible soles not stiff soles, as the leg and foot are designed to give out more energy by extending the foot and toes.

I dont see Mark Cavendish using the sides of his feet on the crank.. nor anyone in tour de france, or that I know Laughing

The thing with SPD's or clip in's is that they effectively do that anyway... you can pull hard up aswell as you are clipped in.

andi
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 15:56 - 29 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back on topic. I bought a long sleeved full zip top last winter from Aldi. The arms are a bit short so get a gap with winter gloves. This autumn I got it out again and noticed the elasticated pockets aren't very elastic any more. Guess you get what you pay for. Was cheap enough so 1 winters use is not so bad. I have other jackets from various "boutique"manufacturer's and they all are far superior in all ways including price.

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 21:34 - 29 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPDs do make a massive difference. I've just upgraded from SPDs to SPD-SL which has a larger surface area which has taken climbing to another level. 7,800 feet of climbing in 71 miles today. Couldn't have done it without them.

Aldi stuff is decent entry level kit, I have some arm warmers from last year that are still going strong.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

D O G
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:33 - 29 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonB wrote:
7,800 feet of climbing in 71 miles today..

Fucking hell, that is nuts.

I managed 1100m in 58miles today, and that was literally every lump I can find round here.

Have you a route for that? Just interested.

This was mine:

https://www.routeyou.com/route/view/549516/cycle-route-30th-sept.en

Yes. I got the date wrong.

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 06:52 - 30 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

South Wales valleys, that's where it's at!

https://app.strava.com/rides/23480780

Obviously, going for segments was not my target today... Lol
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

D O G
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:07 - 30 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

So your 1st little lump is tougher than the worst climb on my whole route. Sad
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 201 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2