51%
 51%  [ 40 ]
No
48%
 48%  [ 38 ]
Total Votes : 78

slamminorion
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 10:55 - 22 Sep 2012    Post subject: Helmets - Yes or No? Reply with quote

As title and poll, do you wear them and why?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:07 - 22 Sep 2012    Post subject: Re: Helmets - Yes or No? Reply with quote

Not as often as I should probably.

If my back feels less knackered tomorrow plan to do 26 mile xc event where I'm presuming a helmet is required, so shall have to dig it out.

Al
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:20 - 22 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wear one 95% of the time. I've fallen off pushbikes far more times then I have motorbikes so it would be silly not to.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RealNinja
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:33 - 22 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always, on and off road, plus knee/shin armor off road too.

More a confidence thing than anything else for the armor, but helmet not only for protection, but keeps my head dry(er) and rain out of my eyes

Mac_Black
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:16 - 22 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted 'no' as after 15 years of riding BMX and cheap mountain bikes (and a decent DH bike most recently) I have found that I predominately do not wear a helmet on a cycle.. I have had two counts of fractured skull and many concussions or big eggs to the noggin however.
This will likely be changing to a 'yes' from when I build a new bike around my current Norco Atomik DH frame, as I will be investing in a proper full face lid and will use the bike as it's designed to be ridden.
Frankly I've never seen any point in silly open face helmets of any description, I think it makes you look like a prat and is rather unpractical for casual cycling...
I am just lucky that I have not suffered a life threatening or life changing head injury until now I guess, but the advantage is my head is no doubt conditioned somewhat. Smile

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:08 - 22 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

On road, no. Too hot and people drive more carefully round you if you're not wearing one. I avoid wearing cycling specific clothing for the same reason.

Off road. Yes because there is a fairly high chance of me falling over at a low speed and banging my head on something or (as once happened) crowning myself on a low hanging branch.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:47 - 22 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
On road, no. Too hot and people drive more carefully round you if you're not wearing one. I avoid wearing cycling specific clothing for the same reason.

Oh balls, yet again, I have to go with "what stinkwheel just said". Rolling Eyes

KLR600
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:50 - 22 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always wear a helmet. I've had plenty of crashes where they helped but then I generally tend to ride the more aggressive stuff.

For jumps and cycling on the road I have a Bern Watts:

https://www.bernunlimited.com/Products/Helmets/Watts?helmetType=Bike

And for downhill/anything gnarly I use a KBC MX helmet.

Nb
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:12 - 22 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, never do and never have. Neutral
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

D O G
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:31 - 22 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

On road only when the event requires it - most sportives make you wear a helmet, which is annoying.

On the rare occasions where I do off road I'll wear one, for the exact reasons Stinky cites.

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:35 - 23 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Oh balls, yet again, I have to go with "what stinkwheel just said". Rolling Eyes

You get used to it. I often just enter a thread, skim until noticing he's posted and then either leave as I know he'll have given a more comprehensive answer than I could/would or just read it and learn something more.

SQL
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:46 - 23 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't unless I go out with the intention of doing something retarded tbh
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Trasler
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 09:55 - 23 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a young, stupid, reckless yob, no.

I've gone flying loads of times and never hit my head due to luck, but i still don't wear a helmet. I can't stand them, the occasions i do, i'm constantly fiddling with it because it makes me feel uncomfortable.

Frog
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 10:12 - 23 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Interesting argument that one. Not really thought about it, but I haven't noticed a difference.

I do always wear a helmet, on and off road, but on road I think it only marginally increases your chance of safety, and off road helmets rarely have enough protection over the temples. That's where I really don't want to take a knock.

Im lucky enough to live where cyclists and motorists are reasonbly tolerant to each other, but I will be keeping an eye out if I'm ever out in civvies again. Thumbs Up

yaigi
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:22 - 23 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wear a helmet on my bicycle cos I ride mostly on the road and well, I don't trust those pesky car drivers. Plus my helmet is way cool:

https://www.evanscycles.com/product_image/image/b39/6aa/fa4/54079/large/bern-brentwood-helmet.jpg

So I kinda like wearing it Very Happy

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 17:27 - 23 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ride with a helmet.

Like most things, the more money you are willing to spend, the better the product will be.

My £30 helmet looks crap, weighs a ton and provides little ventilation. I do not like wearing it, however it will protect my skull.

My £100 helmet looks small and compact, weighs literally nothing and I actually forget I am wearing it sometimes.

Whether there is any benefit to wearing a helmet, that is always up to debate (and it is a boring one). However, luckily as cyclists we have the luxury to choose whether to wear one and I would be disappointed if there was any political will to change this. We are all adults mainly and we can make risk potential decisions as individuals.

I must say though, the argument that cars give more space to cyclists not wearing helmets is almost gut wretchingly laughable. I'm only saying this as someone who drives 60,000 miles a year and pays no attention to whatever attire any other road user is wearing, be it a cyclist, horse rider or motorcyclist. However, if that makes you feel better for not wearing one then crack on! Very Happy

The main point of my post though is that we shouldn't be saying whether it is right or wrong to wear or not wear a helmet. The fact we have a choice is beautiful. Thumbs Up
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

TUG
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:37 - 23 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a full face lid, since my crash on the CBR and the epic concussion i had, i dread to think what hitting my head on a curb would do or being hit by a car. I ride mountain bike so i don't look so out of place, granted car driver might look at me and call me a wanker but at least they've seen me.

southeastpete
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:31 - 23 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, cos when I was young I fell off, hit the back of my helmet on the road and split it straight down the middle. Little scary if I hadn't been wearing a helmet...
Also on 3rd of aug I saw some poor cyclist laid out on the a2, dead, no helmet. Day before my wedding, yay. Poor bloke hit by someone. Prob wud have died anyway, but every little bit of help eh.
Also, have a 7 yr old stepson, so want to set a gd example.

el_oso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:24 - 24 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

mostly no. My mountain bike travels not that much faster than I can run. On the road.
When I go out jumping/downhill even trails then I do put on a lid (most of the time) as I am much more likely to crash.

bikertomm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:49 - 24 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to the shops, no.

Going for a ride, yes.

Road racing it is a requirement plus you would look like an absaloute tool without one!

Also used to do a fair few XC races and I certainly put a lid on! Even though it was XC it was really technical in some places with 10ft drops like 2 feet to the left of you Shocked

I wish I had a full face in that race! haha

Thumbs Up

Alpha-9
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:02 - 24 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't when I did cycle daily, wouldn't really ever

Nirvana fallacy, but from what i've seen cyclists helmets tend to be plonked ontop of your head which is a very unlikely place to hit your head

Fullface motorbike helmet would be acceptable Razz
If I was regularly doing like 30 in traffic on a bicycle and had trouble with drivers regularly then I probably would think about getting one.

Sable
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:01 - 24 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always. had a big bump a few years back. didn't hit my head but made me aware of how squishy I was. also ride my bike only in London nowadays, anything that helps me stay alive is good ^^

Dracon
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:17 - 24 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had two good offs on my pushbike, destroyed one helmet and had concussion but no other head injury.

Always wear a helmet unless I'm just tootling along a cycle path with no other traffic.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:08 - 24 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonB wrote:

I must say though, the argument that cars give more space to cyclists not wearing helmets is almost gut wretchingly laughable.

Wrench away, laughing boy.
Because published, peer-reviewed scientific data.
Accident Analysis & Prevention 39 (2): 417–425.

bikertomm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:54 - 24 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to have to agree with JonB even after reading their findings..

Must have just been a coincidence. Round here no one would give a flying fuck about a cyclist, one car will overtake how they want, followed by the next.

Helmet or not, it's not going to make any difference what-so-ever.

Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 209 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2