No
48%
 48%  [ 38 ]
Total Votes : 78

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:00 - 24 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Don't ride a bicycle that much and tends only to be to pop into town but never owned a helmet for a bicycle or used one.

All the best

Keith

elgard
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:35 - 26 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started to wear one about 5 years ago after a few close calls with cars.
After bonnet surfing because a tosser pulled out on me, My Helmet was a right mess where it was ground down as i slid across the road.
Ever since i am a firm supporter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:46 - 26 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, now. Hurts when you smack a tree without a lid on. Inevitably, the only time I manage to crash is without a hat on.

Moo.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:48 - 28 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, i do. Seen some pretty horrific crashes, especially round london. Also an ex of mine went over the handles bars when a car turned infront of her and got some pretty bad injuries.

Helps to have an awesome helmet!

+1 for bern Laughing

I have the Bern macon

https://i1.wearecdn.net/images/article/bern/whw43022/bern-macon-2-0.jpg

Knot600RR
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:20 - 05 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to wear one most of the time. Most races and the like require one, so it's largely just habit now. You may laugh, but my lid wearing has become more comfortable since buying a lid with breatheable straps!

Dazbo666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:27 - 05 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Offroad on the mountainbike, always

On the road / commuting etc, probably not as often as I should
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

haroman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:38 - 05 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ride Downhill/Freeride. So i ride with a full-face, Body armour and knee/shin pads.

Quick vid of me and my mate in Austria: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_zurNqAvrc&feature=youtu.be

Cant really praise the kit enough. The amount of times i've come down going over wet roots or rocks and nearly seen my life flash before my eyes is probably beyond counting.

If i'm riding on the road however... Fuck it: if i'm hit by a car, i'm probably fucked with or without.

MinhDinh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:05 - 07 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

bikertomm wrote:
I'm going to have to agree with JonB even after reading their findings..

Must have just been a coincidence. Round here no one would give a flying fuck about a cyclist, one car will overtake how they want, followed by the next.

Helmet or not, it's not going to make any difference what-so-ever.

Thumbs Up

My boss got hit by a car, and the guys windscreen got smashed. His helmet saved his head from getting split open. IMO it may not help, but on occasions it can, just like a motorcycle helmet may not help at times, and others it saves lives.

bikertomm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:57 - 07 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

MinhDinh wrote:
bikertomm wrote:
I'm going to have to agree with JonB even after reading their findings..

Must have just been a coincidence. Round here no one would give a flying fuck about a cyclist, one car will overtake how they want, followed by the next.

Helmet or not, it's not going to make any difference what-so-ever.

Thumbs Up

My boss got hit by a car, and the guys windscreen got smashed. His helmet saved his head from getting split open. IMO it may not help, but on occasions it can, just like a motorcycle helmet may not help at times, and others it saves lives.

Holy take me out of context mindihn,

read the thread again Wink

I fully support wearing helmets, where I said it's not going to make any difference what so ever was referring to the study stinkwheel posted. (Cars giving you more space) Not going to happen !

Thumbs Up

furry-ninja
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:25 - 20 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no debate. It helps protect the squishy brain bits. End of.

In the interests of research I've tried both.

With = a headache and not sure what day it was.
Without = CT scans, three days in hospital, no clue what year it was, no memory of the accident.

And even though just a normal road helmet it did protect my beautiful face from making full force contact with the side of the Ford.
Both in town on-road by the way.

That study is parroted so often it's dangerous. Peer review or not, it's at worst a complete load of bullshit, at best irrelevant in the real world.

i.p.phrealy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:16 - 20 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

when I raced BMX as a kid I had a full face helmet, stopped using bikes for a few years, skateboarded everywhere until I went to college, bought a road bike and never wore a helmet (although the helmets of the late 80s/ early 90s were shit), had a few mountain bikes since just as back up transport and never felt the need to wear a helmet.
ironically when i worked in a cycle shop I sold loads of helmets to other people...
always wore gloves though, can't ride anything without gloves on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

drzsta
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:33 - 21 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ride Enduro/all mtn and i rate it essential to wear a helmet. Case a jump hard and hit your head on a rock or tree and your done.

I did have to LOL at knobby's post about car drivers giving you more room without a helmet. What BS Laughing

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:44 - 22 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always when off road, have got through 7 helmets in the last 5 years as a result of falling off/crashing.

On two occasions I have literally broken the helmet into pieces, ended up with concussions in both those, including LOC the first time, but ultimately no lasting damage. Had I not been wearing a helmet, my skull would probably have shattered and my brain fallen out onto the trail.

Nearly always wear one when on the road/paved surfaces too, isn't worth risking permanent brain damage or worse. Plus my helmets are all well ventilated and very light anyway so barely even realise they're there
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 181 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2